Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’m trying to create human connections here. I’ve now formed a strand with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’m trying to create human connections here. I’ve now formed a strand with you

Keep on keeping on.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I like the way this game introduces new tech and stuff post-intro. They give it to you, there's a period of time where it's almost completely unnecessary, then you start seeing where other people have used it, and about 1-2 hours later you'll get sent on a delivery where it's very helpful and it's been so long since you first saw it you feel like you're the one coming up with the idea like "oh hey I should use that here". Feels good. It's a nice way to dole out stuff when otherwise you might get choice paralysis with all the different crazy poo poo you can do.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Most of the background tech/story gets explained in the interviews and emails. I agree that it is much easier to follow than MGS2 or 4. I think it works for 2 but not for 4.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I sort of miss the cassette tape system from MGSV/PW where you can just load up a big ol' text chunk of lore and let Troy Bakers dulcet tone read it off to you while you wander around.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yeah, especially with how much wandering you can do in this game

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Listening to Heartman's podcast on Egyptian lore or whatever while you're packing stuff around would be a nice experience.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Gruckles posted:

Listening to Heartman's podcast on Egyptian lore or whatever while you're packing stuff around would be a nice experience.

Heartman’s Heart Stoppin’ Burgers.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Guys, how did you complete the pizza delivery where you have to hand carry the wine? Clearly, I can't bring a truck and you can't do ziplines with an item in your left hand, and you have to go all the way loving south...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Guys, how did you complete the pizza delivery where you have to hand carry the wine? Clearly, I can't bring a truck and you can't do ziplines with an item in your left hand, and you have to go all the way loving south...

You have two feet, don't you?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I sort of miss the cassette tape system from MGSV/PW where you can just load up a big ol' text chunk of lore and let Troy Bakers dulcet tone read it off to you while you wander around.
Only when it's not interrupted by "you're gonna extract him?"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Those missions are the Death Stranding equivalent to Breath of the Wild's Eventide Island. Get back to your roots and deliver the way you're meant to!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Push that left stick forward and hold the shoulder button :unsmigghh:

(all the other pizza ones can be done on a bike IIRC. I made a gesture toward keeping it flat by loading my back with 8 small items and putting the pizza on top of those, but that may not even be necessary)

emdash fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 21, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was thinking that I actually preferred reading at my leisure instead of having to listen to 1 million tapes but now that you mention it you’re right; in this specific game, tapes might have worked better

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

emdash posted:

Push that left stick forward and hold the shoulder button :unsmigghh:

(all the other pizza ones can be done on a bike IIRC. I made a gesture toward keeping it flat by loading my back with 8 small items and putting the pizza on top, but that may not even be necessary)

You'll always get a decent score because the pizza takes minimal damage from being vertical in the time it takes to deliver on bike.

I still pack it horizontally because I'm a nerd

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Speed skeleton! I usually don’t bother with them because of the ubiquity of vehicles and how fast it kills your battery but for that specific route it was very handy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I made good use of the all-terrain and speed skeletons. You’re gonna be walking if you care about your porter grade.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If anything that mission proves that you can walk top to bottom on that map on foot without climbing

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It took me until last night to figure out that repeatedly longjumping in the Speed Skeleton is extremely good. Maybe the best on-foot movement tech, because you can land into a roll from a pretty good height. If you longjump next to a slope you get vaulted up it (even if it doesn't look like you should) because of video game physics, so it's much faster than holding x to climb short slopes

You'll run out of battery quickly but with two extended batteries it's not too bad

Also intentionally losing your footing down hills (especially but not exclusively in snow) is really fast and has no meaningful penalty most of the time

And finally, the speedrun shows that when possible, it's faster to get across a river by getting swept away and then paddling to safety

emdash fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 21, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

emdash posted:

It took me until last night to figure out that repeatedly longjumping in the Speed Skeleton is extremely good. Maybe the best on-foot movement tech, because you can land into a roll from a pretty good height. If you longjump next to a slope you get vaulted up it (even if it doesn't look like you should) because of video game physics, so it's much faster that holding x to climb short slopes

You'll run out of battery quickly but with two extended batteries it's not too bad

It took me a disgustingly long time to realize you could long jump. So much time wasted...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

emdash posted:

Also intentionally losing your footing down hills (especially but not exclusively in snow) is really fast and has no meaningful penalty most of the time

Faster than boarding down on your floating carrier?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Colonel Whitey posted:

I haven’t messed with zip lines too much, I’m about mid chapter 5 and now seeing the need for them. So I don’t have to trial and error them too much, can someone tell me if you’re able to create y-shaped branching lines or can you only connect them in series?

Make sure you put your ziplines in locations that have clear line of sight in multiple directions. Not only does this help your network, but it also makes it easier for others to connect their ziplines to yours when yours show up to them. There's nothing more annoying than having to build your own zipline 10 feet away from an online zipline because the other player built there's slightly downhill from the peak and it therefore is obstructed from what you have on the other side. You'd be surprised just how little room you actually need on top of a pointy rock when building a zipline.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Faster than boarding down on your floating carrier?

Not sure, I barely used them because I found the "skateboard" controls too fiddly

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Chapter 9
What is Amelie saying when she says she left the beach once to visit Sam and he says 'Did you lie'? I get that she willingly became the Peach to his Mario but what is the point of that exchange?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ainsley McTree posted:

It took me a disgustingly long time to realize you could long jump. So much time wasted...

I discovered the long jump completely by accident.

On the other hand, it took me forever to realize you could hold down R2 to get a flatter arc on grenade throws.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

emdash posted:

Not sure, I barely used them because I found the "skateboard" controls too fiddly

It is really weird but for just about any extended downhill place that's not going to send you off a cliff it's the fastest thing next to a zipline. I'm sure it's been posted here but someone has a youtube of them using bridges and ladders to make like a snowboard x-games course for the thing lmfao

edit: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnJMElfDItc

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

snoremac posted:

Chapter 9
What is Amelie saying when she says she left the beach once to visit Sam and he says 'Did you lie'? I get that she willingly became the Peach to his Mario but what is the point of that exchange?

Earlier game spoilers: The whole reason he was making the trip was because she couldn't physically leave her location on the west coast, she said she could only astral project herself, which was untrue.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Ok, based on gut feeling I would say that sliding downhill is actually sometimes faster than that. But just sometimes, and it's not terribly consistent in the first place

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

On the other hand, it took me forever to realize you could hold down R2 to get a flatter arc on grenade throws.

gently caress!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Dewgy posted:

Earlier game spoilers: The whole reason he was making the trip was because she couldn't physically leave her location on the west coast, she said she could only astral project herself, which was untrue.
But when does she visit him physically?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

snoremac posted:

But when does she visit him physically?

This is explained later, though you can probably figure it out now.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Ixjuvin posted:

This is explained later, though you can probably figure it out now.
Ah okay thanks.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

emdash posted:

Doesn’t that activate adrenaline stamina depletion?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Ice Fist posted:

wHat the gently caress????

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you double tap L1, Sam twirls his dick before he puts it away

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
*extremely Higgs voice* You're pretty good, aint ya!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
work sucks I just wanna power through this drat games story so I can join black bar chat

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://twitter.com/cathroon/status/1194159616638124032?s=21

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sounds like someone should have been building glorious roads instead of vanity ziplines :smugdog:
you can boost 80% of the trip with a speed skeleton down the middle power strip for extremely smooth sailing

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...