Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It's probably just decision remorse, just reading the OP with Rift S crossed out in the categories 3 times was a bit disheartening.

It's an excellent VR headset and likely the slightly better choice if you only care about PCVR given the higher refresh rate, better headstrap and less screen door effect (assuming you're in the IPD range). I bought one just before OC6 and considered returning it after all the gloom and doom from the announcements but a couple months on, I'm glad I didn't.

The OP was written when people were high on the Oculus Connect announcements and has a bit of hyperbole.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NICE.

Unreal_One posted:

Tactile buttons literally mean the kind you can feel, so your message is getting garbled. Do you mean, like, analog versus digital buttons? Capacitive, like the touchpad on the PS4? Haptic fakery like a phone?

Hmmm. Its not just analog vs digital, PS2 controllers had analog buttons but they were still buttons you pushed and they moved.

I'm pretty sure tactile is the word. But I guess I'm using it backwards. I should say I guess I love tactile buttons and I hate non-tactile buttons?

Contact buttons, that's the word I was trying to think of. I hate those contact touch buttons where they just sense your finger is there but they don't move or click or anything. You know what I mean.

I will say that phones that have haptic fakery helps a lot, at least. I have a samsung galaxy S7 and the bump when you touch the screen button makes it feel way more responsive than just tapping a screen. The problem though is if the OS is lagging, you don't get the bump, and you just end up pressing the glass helplessly over and over.

If there's a physical button, even if its lagging it still works. I click the volume up button and it does volume up, even if it lags, it does it eventually and I feel it immediately.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Trip Report: Got the link running with my janky old i5 4460 and 1050ti. Really low graphics stuff like Race The Sun was fine (and fun!) but anything more graphically intensive gave loads of screen tearing. Not sure if it's the unsupported hardware or the cable - Half the time it would error out telling me to use a USB 3 cable and I'm reasonably sure this one isn't.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It's probably just decision remorse, just reading the OP with Rift S crossed out in the categories 3 times was a bit disheartening.

There's going to be some Black Friday deals to have the Rift S $50 off, I'd consider returning the S just for that right now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's an excellent VR headset and likely the slightly better choice if you only care about PCVR given the higher refresh rate, better headstrap and less screen door effect (assuming you're in the IPD range). I bought one just before OC6 and considered returning it after all the gloom and doom from the announcements but a couple months on, I'm glad I didn't.

The OP was written when people were high on the Oculus Connect announcements and has a bit of hyperbole.

It's a tad hyperbolic but quite a few people who have both seem to be selling their Rift S. There's also the IPD factor, for people where that matters. A portable 6DOF VR headset has much greater utility too.

But if you don't ever anticipate using those features then sure, go Rift S.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa that looks pretty good. Did they announce the date or is that one of those when it's done things? I was out doing some IRL stuff unfortunately.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Definitely measure your ipd before buying an S, it's a deal breaker to 50% of the population

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Whoa that looks pretty good. Did they announce the date or is that one of those when it's done things? I was out doing some IRL stuff unfortunately.

March 2020

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Pretty cool of Valve to continue delivering awesome experiences to users of all headsets unlike Oculus.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KakerMix posted:

I have my doubts on that. The hero headset of Alyx is obviously going to be the Index.

Alyx is compatible with all SteamVR headsets. Finger tracking won’t add much to the experience.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Taintrunner posted:

Alyx is compatible with all SteamVR headsets. Finger tracking won’t add much to the experience.

I bet it will, won't be required but it makes a world of different to me in Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades. Subtle to most people probably.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think the biggest consideration between Quest and S beyond IPD (which is a big deal) is where your computer is located. Can you consistently have a large open space near your computer? If you have to move poo poo every time you play ponder if you will really do that when you have time to game or you'll just launch a flat screen game. For me and everyone I know with VR, the answer to both of those is no so roomscale ends up being abandoned most of the time. OTOH, if you have room anywhere in your place for VR the Quest will work. Graphics/display/etc is not that important if you never use the thing. I've been doing so much more roomscale since I got the Quest.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think the biggest consideration between Quest and S beyond IPD (which is a big deal) is where your computer is located. Can you consistently have a large open space near your computer? If you have to move poo poo every time you play ponder if you will really do that when you have time to game or you'll just launch a flat screen game. For me and everyone I know with VR, the answer to both of those is no so roomscale ends up being abandoned most of the time. OTOH, if you have room anywhere in your place for VR the Quest will work. Graphics/display/etc is not that important if you never use the thing. I've been doing so much more roomscale since I got the Quest.

Not really I will be spending the vast majority of the time sitting in a computer chair with a steering wheel or the touch controllers or even just an xbox one controller, or using the virtual desktop space or whatever the term for it is. I might occasionally plug it into my laptop's mini DP for maybe showing a few friends or family maybe 3% of the time. beat saber is probably about as get up and play as I'm going to get, if I even pick that up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Taintrunner posted:

KakerMix posted:

I bet it will, won't be required but it makes a world of different to me in Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades. Subtle to most people probably.

I can't imagine they won't use finger tracking data accurately, this is their demo of their hardware and showing off how VR can be, how it should be, setting the standard so others follow suit.

The demo already shows putting your hand on walls and things, and moving objects around, and finger tracking will add to that fidelity.

That said, I doubt it'll ever be needed for anything in the game, because yeah they're supporting hardware without it, and honestly I don't even know what mechanic would absolutely require it beyond using middle fingers to communicate. Its more just a nice to have kinda thing.

So yeah, agreed with both of you. Depends what you mean by "adding much to the experience" though.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Oh, I was thinking on the ds3/4, but you meant the horrible power/ eject buttons on the consoles themselves. Those suck.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FuzzySlippers posted:

I’ve played every VR game by basically just standing in place, and I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment. You really don’t “need” space to walk around for VR games.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

You people can discuss the finer points of hand/finger tracking all day long, but at the end of the day, it's going to be much more important the software itself, how the games are developed. Because what's going to be key is having a game where every little object is interactive, and the physics system is good enough to be able to push, slide, take and throw everything realistically, without glitches.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Turin Turambar posted:

You people can discuss the finer points of hand/finger tracking all day long, but at the end of the day

Read this in Triple-H's voice.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Good point. What I'm hearing here is that I would need a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure with a PLX switch chip (i.e. an enclosure that supports multiple slots) that claims PCIe 3.0 support for its devices.
That does seem like a safe assumption based on what I know about Thunderbolt. The question then would be whether it'll work without PCIe 3.0.

Unreal_One posted:

Oh, I was thinking on the ds3/4, but you meant the horrible power/ eject buttons on the consoles themselves. Those suck.
Ah yes, the "heh my cat is sniffing the Xbox OH DAMMIT loving THING TURNED OFF" buttons. So much hate for those things...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

Yeaaaah exactly. I hate that poo poo.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I’m very much looking forward to HL:A, and I hope that in a few years they release a “Red box” with the two other new VR titles they are working on

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress half life, metal gear is in VR now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T56zkR7U2XE

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
As a Vive owner, I'm wondering if the Index controllers would be less stressful on my hands. Not having to actually hold the controllers would be a blessing, but the analog sticks might be a deal breaker. How functional are the small trackpads on the Index controllers?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there anyone here that went from a Rift S and was out of the IPD range and used a Quest or something with an adjustable IPD? I like the Rift S but my main problem is an everpresent blur. Some of it is glasses fog, granted, but it is something I noticed while being a hair outside of the IPD range. I was wondering if it is that much for an improvement to have a proper mechanical slider.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

What are you taking this to mean? The most we have is Oculus said they "partnered" with them, but it's clearly using all their technology (screens, tracking solution, lenses).

Oculus themselves have said that Lenovo was responsible for the design, manufacturing, and distribution of the Rift S with no communication with the Quest development team.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

For once I'm actually happy about my genes, measured my IPD and it's 63, I know I probably shoulda done that before purchasing a VR headset with no IPD adjustment.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Unit24 posted:

As a Vive owner, I'm wondering if the Index controllers would be less stressful on my hands. Not having to actually hold the controllers would be a blessing, but the analog sticks might be a deal breaker. How functional are the small trackpads on the Index controllers?

Why don't you like analog sticks? The small track pads feel somewhat useless to me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oculus themselves have said that Lenovo was responsible for the design, manufacturing, and distribution of the Rift S with no communication with the Quest development team.

No they didn't

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I've seen some reviews where people don't like the index sticks because of their placement and also because the stick click is weird.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Skyarb posted:

Why don't you like analog sticks? The small track pads feel somewhat useless to me.

I suffer from a weird form of arthritis that makes playing games with traditional controls impossible. The vive trackpad doesn't stress my hand put the way an analog stick does.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I've seen some reviews where people don't like the index sticks because of their placement and also because the stick click is weird.
Kinda depends on hand size, there's a size adjustment on the strap and if its not right then the thumb angle on the stick is weird, and some people I guess have smaller hands than the smallest position. The stick click thing is arguably a design flaw, but also relatively minor

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

No they didn't

Jason Rubin says otherwise.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait. ALVR works with oculus go? That’s kind of cool

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nothing in there says anything remotely similar to what you're asserting.

quote:

“We’ve often used partners. Gear VR was a Samsung partnership—a lot of decisions were made by Samsung. Oculus Go was a Xiaomi partnership—a lot of decisions were made by Xiaomi. Rift was mostly designed internally. Quest was mostly designed internally,” he explained. “Rift S is designed in partnership with Lenovo. […] I don’t think there’s really that much to be gleaned from understanding that we partnered with Lenovo on one device and not another.”

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is there likely to be an Oculus Quest 2 next year? I'm tempted to get the Quest for use with the Link but wouldn't mind waiting if an updated one is coming out soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

Nothing in there says anything remotely similar to what you're asserting.

quote:

“You can think of [Rift S and Quest] as two very different visions from two very different teams, albeit based on the premise that ‘getting in and out of VR as quickly as possible’ was one of the key things that VR needed to go forward,” he said.” “So the fact that one has a halo strap and the other doesn’t have a halo strap probably comes down more to the fact that one team thought that the halo strap was the right answer (including Lenovo who would have been working in entirely separate offices) and the other thought that the other type of strap would be better. […] So I think it would be wrong to assume that any major decisions about the future are being determined by which one of these was announced first […] I think you’re just looking at two groups going through the tradeoffs and determining what they could get in a price point that they thought was the right price point for the consumer.”

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

"one team thought that the halo strap was the right answer (including Lenovo" can you not read?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

Is there likely to be an Oculus Quest 2 next year? I'm tempted to get the Quest for use with the Link but wouldn't mind waiting if an updated one is coming out soon.

quest is kinda a console, so it's doubtful, but OTOH even consoles have been doing hardware upgrades lately, AND it's fairly early hardware so who the gently caress knows

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

"one team thought that the halo strap was the right answer (including Lenovo" can you not read?

Finish the quote; "and the other thought the other kind of strap wad better".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Truga posted:

quest is kinda a console, so it's doubtful, but OTOH even consoles have been doing hardware upgrades lately, AND it's fairly early hardware so who the gently caress knows

It seems extremely likely that they're losing money with the Quest (how could they seriously sell the Rift S and the Quest at the same price point when the Quest also has like an entire phone in it as well?), and their goal seems to be making VR cheaper and easier for people to access. I'd guess it's more likely they'd be focused on driving down the cost, and maybe some sort of re-design or comfort refresh or something with the same guts. I wouldn't expect to see a Quest 2 for another few years.

Edit:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Finish the quote; "and the other thought the other kind of strap wad better".

Yes, he's referring to the Quest team and the S team, which included people working at Lenovo, as the two different teams. Jesus loving christ dude you've been on this stupid point forever and it's all just completely pulled out of your rear end. Every single quote makes it clear they worked on it together.