Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

iKon posted:

Yeah it’s a bit of a crapshoot as to what the best VSO in your area may be (DAV, VFW, state agency, etc.), but it’s absolutely worth going through one of them when submitting a claim. Remember that your claim is going into a massive bureaucratic machine. The presence or absence of very specific words and phrases might end up being the difference between a claim that sails through and one that requires an appeal.

The whole process is supposed to be massively streamlined from what it was even a decade ago, but still, give yourself every advantage possible.

Ya, I was expecting like a 10-20% rating but it came back at 40% no doubt in part to the dude who helped me put my paperwork together. Also it took like 3 months from submission to C&P exam to getting my first check. A+ experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I am in the middle of the process of getting my rating from the VA, and I've been doing it all through a VSO. It's so much easier, they know what forms to fill out and send in and what they should all say. I'd highly recommend the VSO route.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I did mine through DAV and it went great.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ok, I sent an email to the DAV to get the ball rolling. Thanks for the assist, everyone.

FYI, Kohls is doing 30% off for veterans today through Monday.
https://www.military.com/discounts/kohls-veterans-day-military-discount

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 7, 2019

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
If you are planning on rolling your Post 9/11 education to your children, make sure your years actually add up, and don't trust your command.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/11/8/20953999/veterans-post-9-11-gi-bill-college-tuition-snafu-navy-depaul-university-air-force

(There is a pop-up that comes up every couple of minutes)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Syrian Lannister posted:

If you are planning on rolling your Post 9/11 education to your children, make sure your years actually add up, and don't trust your command.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/11/8/20953999/veterans-post-9-11-gi-bill-college-tuition-snafu-navy-depaul-university-air-force

(There is a pop-up that comes up every couple of minutes)

Marine friend of mine got bit by this.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

vulturesrow posted:

Marine friend of mine got bit by this.

This is why I extended my service by a month just to make sure that I hit the 3 years for 100%. Luckily my CO completely understood why I was doing it and approved the extension with full support.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I have Tricare Select, which entitles me to use PCMs outside of the network (so says the website -- why is this poo poo so goddamn confusing?)

Anyway, I've never had to seek out my own PCM. I've used the army or, post-army, the VA hospital. What info will I need when I go get established at a doctor, or is it arbitrary and different for each one? I have a letter in the form of a PDF file that says I'm eligible, and it has some number at the top that I'm assuming is my Tricare number, but who the gently caress knows? Other than this letter, I'm not sure what else I have that can prove I'm eligible.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

And for the love of God, can someone break down the difference between the different types of Tricares (Prime, Select.. and any others I guess) or point me to a post that explains? gently caress these stupid buggy and hard to navigate government websites.

I believe I am eligible for Prime as well. I'd like to make an informed decision being inside the enrollment window and all.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Also I’m dumb when it comes to insurance since this is my first time in life giving a poo poo, so break it down like I’m a golden retriever please.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

colachute posted:

I have Tricare Select, which entitles me to use PCMs outside of the network (so says the website -- why is this poo poo so goddamn confusing?)

Anyway, I've never had to seek out my own PCM. I've used the army or, post-army, the VA hospital. What info will I need when I go get established at a doctor, or is it arbitrary and different for each one?
I used my retiree ID as proof of insurance, and social security number as my insurance number. This is what Tricare told me to do over the phone. The hospital wanted to know if it was under the east or west region, and I had no idea at the time, but someone at the hospital who deals with insurance was able to help me find out (I think anyone who was a resident there would be under the same region, which would make sense, not sure if that's really the case though). I've done this for three different hospitals without issue.

Frankly I have no idea how it works either, I've been covered under Tricare or the military my whole life, but the hospitals seem to do a good job at getting their money.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 17, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The one time I went off base (ER->surgery) my ID card was sufficient for everything. I never saw a bill.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I've been told that I'm not doing enough to make people aware, so in the spirit of GIP I'm going to wildly overreact and post this same message in all the active threads.

Another run of Useless Dirt shirts is being put together. Deadline to order is 11:59 PM Eastern time tomorrow.

Info is here

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Your VA healthcare record kind of integrates with the health app on iOS now. I’m still messing around with it and new to all this, but it seems pretty nifty at least.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Can anyone who has experience as a gunner in a Maxxpro write me up a buddy statement saying "yeah, hitting a bump in one of those vehicles threw the gunner around the turret like a pinball?" I have a VA hearing in January.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

McNally posted:

Can anyone who has experience as a gunner in a Maxxpro write me up a buddy statement saying "yeah, hitting a bump in one of those vehicles threw the gunner around the turret like a pinball?" I have a VA hearing in January.
Jesus, those loving things. Shoot me a PM and I will gladly write that letter for you.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anyone have any experience with the VA in asheville, specifically surgery?

I will be doing my general surgery rotation there. I hear nothing but good things about it, and I might want to end up working there.

Thanks!

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019
Is Veteran Evaluation Services legit, or a streamlined way to deny claims? VA always did my evaluations in the past. Don't trust this out-sourcing stuff

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I used them for one of my re-val’s and their doc upped my rating for one of my claims, and the rest stayed the same.

5 stars, would recommend.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

The Alpha Centauri posted:

Is Veteran Evaluation Services legit, or a streamlined way to deny claims? VA always did my evaluations in the past. Don't trust this out-sourcing stuff

They just do examinations. They're doctors/PAs/Nurse practitioners. Just be clear on what's going on with everything. If you're looking at service connection, make it clear when it began and how long it's been going on. If you have treatment records since you left service, let them take a look at them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I had to drive over two hours for the outsourced examinations for my claims, nothing through the VA. They had a check waiting for me for the mileage for my drive.

Anyway, one doc just wanted to work with veterans and did it once a week there, nice guy. The other doc I saw was really good too. If you do it through the VA I could see people that did that poo poo all day getting very jaded very quick.

My claims went through fast and fine and aside from the drive it was an overall pleasurable experience. Both docs just made small chat while they examined all my ailments. Really nice guys. None of them questioned poo poo, or even challenged anything in the slightest

I feel bad reading the horror stories on here. Using the DAV, EAS to getting paid was about three months

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I'm sure we've taken about this before but I'm too cheap to pay for forums search.

I was given a diagnosis of borderline ADD about 6 months before I got out. The doc gave me the option to start on meds but I decided not to as I didn't want to deal with going on those type of meds while I was thing through the whole mil to civ transition. However it's gotten more pronounced and I'd like to have it included in my disability rating. Can anyone give me a quick overview on that process since I already have a rating and I'm over a year past retirement?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Any of you guys who served in a naval service and got booted with a less than honorable discharge due to PSTD there might be some news coming down the pipeline.

https://law.yale.edu/yls-today/news/federal-court-rejects-motion-dismiss-veterans-clinic-class-action

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

I'm sure we've taken about this before but I'm too cheap to pay for forums search.

I was given a diagnosis of borderline ADD about 6 months before I got out. The doc gave me the option to start on meds but I decided not to as I didn't want to deal with going on those type of meds while I was thing through the whole mil to civ transition. However it's gotten more pronounced and I'd like to have it included in my disability rating. Can anyone give me a quick overview on that process since I already have a rating and I'm over a year past retirement?

If anyone could help a brother out with this one is appreciate it. ;)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vulturesrow posted:

If anyone could help a brother out with this one is appreciate it. ;)

If you're beyond a certain timeframe (which you are if you're retiring) then everything wrong with you is presumptively service connected. Just contact a VSO and say "hey, I was diagnosed with this but didn't include it on my original claim" and you can claim it. I discovered what was wrong with my hip years after service and was still able to get it service connected and rated. You won't necessarily get back pay to separation, but you will to the claim date at a minimum.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Hi everyone. I spent 10 years in the National Guard but never deployed for federal service, only state emergency responses so I'm not a veteran. Anyways! How do I get a copy of my DD214? I got out back in 2011 and have no idea who to call anymore

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Goodpancakes posted:

Hi everyone. I spent 10 years in the National Guard but never deployed for federal service, only state emergency responses so I'm not a veteran. Anyways! How do I get a copy of my DD214? I got out back in 2011 and have no idea who to call anymore

Best place is through the following link

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you're beyond a certain timeframe (which you are if you're retiring) then everything wrong with you is presumptively service connected. Just contact a VSO and say "hey, I was diagnosed with this but didn't include it on my original claim" and you can claim it. I discovered what was wrong with my hip years after service and was still able to get it service connected and rated. You won't necessarily get back pay to separation, but you will to the claim date at a minimum.

Thanks. I actually have two things that need correcting. Something I claimed that they didn't even give me 0% for and then the condition I didn't claim.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks. I actually have two things that need correcting. Something I claimed that they didn't even give me 0% for and then the condition I didn't claim.

Easy enough. Just hit up your VSO.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

You need an NGB-22, not a DD214. Look for your state's contact info here: https://www.ngbpdc.ngb.army.mil/Service-Records/

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

FYI since not everyone might be aware, if you have a disability rating you should now have commissary/exchange access:

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/70068/dod-answers-top-10-questions-expanded-commissary-exchange-mwr-access/
https://www.army.mil/article/231261/commissaries_exchanges_welcoming_more_veterans_in_2020

Enjoy your cheap booze. :patriot:

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I'm trying to figure out how to get access. I'm at 40%, but not registered for VA health. Should I try to get a health care card or is there another way?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AFAIK you need a VA healthcare ID that says service connected.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I had an issue with that trying to get a discount at Home Depot lol 🙄 I got it right when I got out, when I applied for it, so I wasn’t rated yet. Apparently I was supposed to get an updated one in the mail but y’know. Need to get another next time I’m by the VA.

Just an FYI to anyone in my situation to get an updated card at the VA when you get a chance

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Flying_Crab posted:

AFAIK you need a VA healthcare ID that says service connected.

I didn't even know this was a thing. I have the blue medical retiree card but nothing else. I've been in Germany since I got out so I haven't been to the VA, only on-base facilities. Am I able to get this card? Not that I need to, I guess, since I already have access to the commissary and exchange via my wife.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

If you have a DoD ID you should have access, especially as a retiree?

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

GoGoGadget posted:

I didn't even know this was a thing. I have the blue medical retiree card but nothing else. I've been in Germany since I got out so I haven't been to the VA, only on-base facilities. Am I able to get this card? Not that I need to, I guess, since I already have access to the commissary and exchange via my wife.

The blue card is DD Form 2 (Retired and entitled to pay), it should give you full MWR/Exchange/Commissary Privileges CONUS. You might not have privileges OCONUS, it varies country to country. If your wife is active, go to DEERS and get a dependent ID card as well (brown card.) I have my Guard CAC, my Contractor CAC, and my brown dependent card since my wife is active, so you can have multiple ID's with no issues.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Honestly I never found those good deals on base everyone talked about. They just seemed to raise prices to make up for the difference of taxes etc. Even booze

I mean, maybe a new video game at $60 or some apple product to negate taxes?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

zharmad posted:

The blue card is DD Form 2 (Retired and entitled to pay), it should give you full MWR/Exchange/Commissary Privileges CONUS. You might not have privileges OCONUS, it varies country to country. If your wife is active, go to DEERS and get a dependent ID card as well (brown card.) I have my Guard CAC, my Contractor CAC, and my brown dependent card since my wife is active, so you can have multiple ID's with no issues.

Nah, I have the brown and blue card. I have full access. I was more asking about the VA card, since I imagine I will need that when we go back stateside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Honestly I never found those good deals on base everyone talked about. They just seemed to raise prices to make up for the difference of taxes etc. Even booze

I mean, maybe a new video game at $60 or some apple product to negate taxes?
The nex near me always has good deals on booze, but they rotate the discounts. Like I got a bottle of Woodford reserve for $20, then a few weeks later I got a bottle of Black label for $30. Booze is really about the only item I'd buy though, and only when I'm in the area do I stop in to check. I know the commissary used to have pretty cheap roasts and meat in general, but I don't live near one now.

But yeah everything else seems to run about the same price.