Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
The feed works good. It’s the next set of rollers where it makes it into the belt drive. It can’t get through that set to the belt drive.

I followed this video https://youtu.be/A1GOMS9icyA and used the newer set off the same model printer I own which never has an issue. I’ve also tried wiping down all the rollers with a damp cloth.

Good to hear. I think it’s new printer time. Any recommendations for WiFi color laser with scan ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I heard a story about a Xerox account manager who sold a ColorQube to the Royal Navy for use on an ocean going vessel. When it got back to port, they raised a call because it wasn't printing, mainly because they'd been doing some rough weather testing and the machine's innards were absolutely coated in wax

loving hell, that's brilliant.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

mllaneza posted:

loving hell, that's brilliant.

And apparently very true. In other news, I wrecked the mylar in a registration chute on a SPDH, took one look at the replacement procedure and noped out of trying it on site, so took it home to have a go at disassembling it instead

Not as much as a ballache as I feared tbh, but having enough room on a customer site to remove it and then take it apart would probably be difficult

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I think my Samsung ML-1740 has finally taken a poo poo after 15 years of faithful service. I'm looking to get a monochrome all-in-one laser printer for home use. Any recommendations? Ideally under $300 but if there's a compelling reason to spend a little more I'd be open to it. Duplex printing and a feeder for the scanner would be nice, but not necessarily must haves. Are the scanners on these things good enough for photos?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I buy something old but sturdy/enterprise with a JetDirect like a Color Laserjet 5550dn or 4600dtn can I run some software to also offer it up as an AirPrint device?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hed posted:

If I buy something old but sturdy/enterprise with a JetDirect like a Color Laserjet 5550dn or 4600dtn can I run some software to also offer it up as an AirPrint device?

AFAIK you can use softwares like printopia or presto but those require windows or Mac(along with a pc always on), or a lantronics xprintserver but that cost a lot. If you need a hp printer with AirPrint/eprint the m4xx series is cheap and reliable(just slow). I have a m476dn (AirPrint works perfectly) and I’m currently running on 0% ink since a year but it still prints fine.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Hed posted:

Something like this should work:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Wireless-N-150Mbps-AirPrint-Server/dp/B00NFTU5Y4

I've also seen windows software you can run to present a shared printer to the network as an airprint target. Mount the printer over IP and the software handles the mdns broadcasts to the local network to show the print target.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 6, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fletcher posted:

I think my Samsung ML-1740 has finally taken a poo poo after 15 years of faithful service. I'm looking to get a monochrome all-in-one laser printer for home use. Any recommendations? Ideally under $300 but if there's a compelling reason to spend a little more I'd be open to it. Duplex printing and a feeder for the scanner would be nice, but not necessarily must haves. Are the scanners on these things good enough for photos?

I just got this Canon imageCLASS MF264dw today. Its on sale at Staples Canada for $99 which is insane (its normally like $250). You can order it online, so for an American thats like $75? It has a flat bed scanner and a feeder scanner:
https://www.staples.ca/products/2925051-en-canon-imageclass-mf264dw-monochrome-laser-printer-2925c020

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

gently caress all printers (especially Inkjet). Sorry, this is more of a scanner question but this seems like the best thread for it.

The problem at hand
I have a HP Photosmart 7520 which at this point just functions as a scanner for me. I want to get rid of it but I cannot find a good scanner that has both a flatbed scanning, an ADF, and wireless capabilities.

The printer doesn't even print anymore, and I want to get rid of this thing before a move, but I cannot find a good & affordable replacement for the scanner portion.

Any advice on this? I hit microcenter and newegg looking for options but the only thing I came up with is expensive office equipment or only flatbed or only ADF scanner options.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Define cheap, brother have plenty of picks for laser mfp in mono or color.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey if my inkjet needs to do the head cleaning procedure all the time now is there something I can manually clean or is it just time for something new?

If that's the case, for cost of ink / toner, is laser still better even with color? Seems like the advertised PPM is way higher, but I've never had a color laser.

Thanks for your help with these terrible devices!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

As the resident Xerox engineer (I think) my recommendation is always to not buy Xerox

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Charles posted:

Hey if my inkjet needs to do the head cleaning procedure all the time now is there something I can manually clean or is it just time for something new?

If that's the case, for cost of ink / toner, is laser still better even with color? Seems like the advertised PPM is way higher, but I've never had a color laser.

Thanks for your help with these terrible devices!

Color laser is still where it's at.

As the resident Xerox engineer (I think) my recommendation is always to not buy Xerox

As another Xerox engineer I agree.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Cool, Costco has an HP color laser on sale, although consumer reports seem to favor Brother for reliability. I pulled my old Brother B&W laser out of the basement meanwhile, still really great for printing music quickly, although the drum has some spots on it. It also has an FTP, WWW, Telnet, etc. server built into it that I want to keep firewalled!

Also for the inkjet I discovered you can flush the heads with some magic solution to clear dried ink.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It's probably time for me to get a laser printer, after two recent trips to the public library to print forms.

I'd like a duplex-capable laser printer which can take OEM toner carts. It would be really nice if it had a scanner with automatic feed, too. Most of all, I don't want something that needs some bullshit HP App or whatever installed on my computer. If I can keep it under $200 that would be really nice, but could probably be persuaded to go over. Recommendations?

Somebody on page 1 mentioned a printer that scans directly to an FTP server, which would be neat...

Edit:

Rutibex posted:

I just got this Canon imageCLASS MF264dw today. Its on sale at Staples Canada for $99 which is insane (its normally like $250). You can order it online, so for an American thats like $75? It has a flat bed scanner and a feeder scanner:
https://www.staples.ca/products/2925051-en-canon-imageclass-mf264dw-monochrome-laser-printer-2925c020

I could pick this up today at Staples for $125... did you end up buying it? I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 6, 2019

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's probably time for me to get a laser printer, after two recent trips to the public library to print forms.

I'd like a duplex-capable laser printer which can take OEM toner carts. It would be really nice if it had a scanner with automatic feed, too. Most of all, I don't want something that needs some bullshit HP App or whatever installed on my computer. If I can keep it under $200 that would be really nice, but could probably be persuaded to go over. Recommendations?

Somebody on page 1 mentioned a printer that scans directly to an FTP server, which would be neat...

Most workgroup MFP (aka non-poo poo all in ones) will let you scan to a shared folder(create one on your NAS or in a pinch on your pc) so no need for software to be on your pc. Brother are good for cheap laser MFPs. Software is a tad clunky.

Just try getting a printer with google print and AirPrint. That way you can use it on phones/tablets.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
FOR FUCKS SAKE Google... You're killing Google Cloud Print? Thanks, from all Android users.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Heners_UK posted:

FOR FUCKS SAKE Google... You're killing Google Cloud Print? Thanks, from all Android users.

That article has some prime takes “we are killing a device-agnostic remote printing platform because we added CUPS(and its shittastic device specific drivers) to chrome os”. My printer still have AirPrint and hp eprint to fall back to but I’m kinda pissed.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Here's the email I recieved as a G Suite Administrator (of only myself). Links removed because I cannot be bothered to recreate them and, since printers also remove links, I assume you won't mind:

quote:

Hello Google Administrator,

We’re writing to let you know that Google Cloud Print, our cloud-based printing solution that has been in beta since 2010, will no longer be supported as of December 31, 2020. Beginning January 1, 2021, devices across all operating systems will no longer be able to print using Google Cloud Print. We recommend that over the next year, you identify an alternative solution and execute a migration strategy.

What do I need to know?
We encourage you to use each operating system’s native printing capabilities and/or partner with a print solutions provider. Learn more about migrating from Cloud Print to native printing.

For our Chrome Enterprise and Education administrators
Given the growth of Chromebook adoption across organizations, we have invested in improvements for native printing on Chrome OS, including:

A native print solution for Chrome OS. In 2017, we launched support for printing over USB or a local network through CUPS (Common Unix Printing System).
A management solution for printing with Chromebooks. If you are using Chrome devices with Chrome Enterprise or Education Upgrade or have Chromebook Enterprise devices, you can manage native printing for Chrome OS. We are planning to add more enterprise-class features and integration points with print servers and print solution providers.
Large investments in printing ecosystem partnerships. We are working with existing Cloud Print OEMs and print solution providers to ensure that their print offerings work natively with Chromebooks.
To learn more about Chrome OS native printing and alternate print solutions, visit our Help Center. Follow the Chrome Enterprise release notes to track the status of future print feature releases that may support your migration path.

For our Android Enterprise administrators
Printing on Android is supported through printing apps since Android 8.0. Several printer OEMs have common support through the Mopria Print Service app, though other OEM apps may be available. If you’re using an Android Enterprise EMM, you can simplify printing support by delivering a printing app that is compatible with your print OEMs’. Please contact your printer OEM for details on app support and your EMM for details on app distribution.

We’re here to help
If you are a Google administrator and need assistance, you have a few options:

Contact your printer hardware OEM, preferred reseller, or print solution provider for help with your migration.
Reach out to your assigned Google Customer Success Manager.
For technical support with migration issues, call or submit a support case from enterprise support (reference ID: 144580681).
Sincerely,

Google Printing Team

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Heners_UK posted:

? What was that even good for? What would people (or you) would use that cloud print thing for? I got a lovely HP printer not too long ago and it has things like I could send an email to this address and it would print the document. WTF? Who in their right mind would want to do such a thing? What's the use case?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I don't have my laptop handy and want to print an amazon return label?
I'm out of the house and want to print the amazon return label for quick use when I get home?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Volguus posted:

? What was that even good for? What would people (or you) would use that cloud print thing for? I got a lovely HP printer not too long ago and it has things like I could send an email to this address and it would print the document. WTF? Who in their right mind would want to do such a thing? What's the use case?

Printing from your android mobile without having to juggle between each printer vendor custom poo poo apps, print your stuff while on the move so by the time you get home it’s there, print directly from google web apps without having to setup poo poo on your incognito/kiosk pc, just to name a few. You could do most of them with hp eprint but not as cleanly.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Volguus posted:

I could send an email to this address and it would print the document. WTF? Who in their right mind would want to do such a thing? What's the use case?

If you ever figure out someone you don't like's printer email address you can sign it up for all sorts of newsletters or send dumb pictures.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I hear all these "use cases" and I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I mean, it only takes 20 seconds to print something. I would never think that i need to print something while I'm away from the house for it to be "ready" . Or ... "having to juggle between each printer vendor custom poo poo apps," ? What apps? What vendors?

"print directly from google web apps without having to setup poo poo on your incognito/kiosk pc" Where is that kiosk pc we're talking about? An internet cafe? I suppose in some parts of the world they're still going strong, so i guess there's some value there. Maybe.

Nah, I'm still confused.

Geemer posted:

If you ever figure out someone you don't like's printer email address you can sign it up for all sorts of newsletters or send dumb pictures.

Of course. That's the first thing I thought about. Why would anyone want that crap enabled ?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It takes 20 seconds to print something if you can print from the device you're using at the time... which could be my phone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Geemer posted:

HP ePrint has a whitelist mode where you set up a list of family emails to print and ignore the rest. No weird/unknown print yet in more than five years of ownership.

Volguus posted:

I hear all these "use cases" and I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I mean, it only takes 20 seconds to print something. I would never think that i need to print something while I'm away from the house for it to be "ready" . Or ... "having to juggle between each printer vendor custom poo poo apps," ? What apps? What vendors?

"print directly from google web apps without having to setup poo poo on your incognito/kiosk pc" Where is that kiosk pc we're talking about? An internet cafe? I suppose in some parts of the world they're still going strong, so i guess there's some value there. Maybe.

Nah, I'm still confused.

Both airprint(ios) and hp print services(android) require LOCAL LAN to work(i don't know about brother or other brands but i suspect they work the same), so if i wanted to go to say a theatre after work, instead of just print the tickets via cloudprint and pick them when i get home, i would have to open a VPN link and then print those. Some people don't like to print personal poo poo on work-owned equipment so i could print stuff from my work desktop with cloudprint without pissing off my infosec team. On my work laptop i just required to upload stuff to google drive and press print from there, no interaction with chrome or local os, no need to install whatever infernal concoction hp laserjets requires to work.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 22, 2019

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I understand. I guess I'm just too old now, but I never had the need to print something when I was away from the printer. For me it is incomprehensible. I suppose others didn't either since they're shutting down the service.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Volguus posted:

I suppose others didn't either since they're shutting down the service.

Google has recently killed its GCM platform, which was used by an awful lot of old google services. I suspect it's related. That and the fact that cloud print is a resource/dev overhead compared to just add cups to the chromeos image and pray for the best.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Today I finally made it out to an army base where the only details I was given were "it needs a USB stick" and the details I'm given are it's a black and white machine. I get to where I'm told it is an find a colour machine, so get a bit confused, but everyone tells me that, no, that's really the black and white machine. So I pull down the front cover and yeah, it's a black and white box but why does it have a badge saying it's colour? And why has it already run out of courtesy prints? And why is it running on courtesy prints? And why is it asking for a USB Initialisation kit?

So after asking around, I find the USB installation stick and after about half an hour of wondering why this stick hasn't worked, I try something far too obvious and look for the part number for the stick in the colour manual for the badge the box has been identified as and LO AND BEHOLD, it is! So at some point during manufacture, testing, packing, dispatch and installation, no-one noticed that this machine was dispatched with the incorrect installation script key (though the right speed and paper size) except me? Long story short, I've somehow extended the courtesy print count to over a million though I'm not sure how, and I'm not entirely sure if the machine will stay upright for more than a day so I'm going back to throw this at our second level tech support team. And that was the first call of the day!

The second was the third time this week I've gone in after another engineer where they've just done the bare minimum and left the machine as is and not tested it, so for the second time in 24 hours I sent my boss a write-up of how crappy a job this engineer had done. The third job was even funnier, as I went to an over used machine whose SD card (which contains the firmware boot-up kernel) had died, but the last two engineers who'd been in in the last two months had not left a configuration sheet which would tell me helpful things like the machine's IP address, host name, etc. and the only sheet it had been left had been printed out four years ago. And of course, those two engineers had both gainfully ignored the maintenance items inside which needed to be replaced a long time ago and just left them for me to fix.

I need a loving drink

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What are courtesy prints? Sorry just curious :-P

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Charles posted:

What are courtesy prints? Sorry just curious :-P

Basically a set number of pages a printer will spew out before you have to either get a supplies contract or buy your own toner

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Mom's ancient HP Photosmart is now refusing to print FROM HER PC ONLY, so I'm in the market. Looking for decent quality B/W/Color output (it doesn't need to do 'photos') and I'd like to go wireless to get around the strong possibility that something is hosed with her USB drivers. I've got a Brother HL-L2340DW that's been sitting in the corner for 3 years and spits out pages whenever I want, is there something just like that but also color?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I recently picked up an Hll-3290cdw which works great. Wireless and decent color. Didn't even install any brother bloat ware. Windows 10 recognized it and installed perfectly. A little klunky with the lcd display for connecting to my home network but nothing terrible.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Over the weekend I will be disassembling this piece of poo poo

There's an assembly inside which has taken on legendary status amongst engineers, in terms of how long it takes to remove and replace. So on Saturday providing I don't get any overtime, I'm basically going to strip this thing down completely, take said assembly out, put it back in again and see if it still prints when all is said and done and also to see how long it takes (rough estimate was six hours from one other engineer)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Put a sledgehammer through that piece of poo poo

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Over the weekend I will be disassembling this piece of poo poo

There's an assembly inside which has taken on legendary status amongst engineers, in terms of how long it takes to remove and replace. So on Saturday providing I don't get any overtime, I'm basically going to strip this thing down completely, take said assembly out, put it back in again and see if it still prints when all is said and done and also to see how long it takes (rough estimate was six hours from one other engineer)

They're basically the same as the 6655's and C405's. I have 267 of em. The first one you do will take about 6 hours, yeah. With practice you can knock it down to about 3 1/2.

It's still easier to get the entire machine replaced.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
God dammit why is it so hard to find a decent scanner at a non extraordinary price without a printer attached? For home use. Ideally small as I don't want to buy it it's own condo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.ebuyer.com/663254-fujitsu-scansnap-s1100i-portable-document-scanner-pa03610-b101 ?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Oyster posted:

They're basically the same as the 6655's and C405's. I have 267 of em. The first one you do will take about 6 hours, yeah. With practice you can knock it down to about 3 1/2.

It's still easier to get the entire machine replaced.

So its much like the infamous "swing plate gear" on HP LaserJet 400 series. In addition, the LaserJet 600 series ALSO has the same problem, as it largely shares its internals with the 400. With the bonus of being more difficult to get to.

I have a few 600s; I have replaced that gear/assembly on one of them. I will not do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

PRINTERSSS, I hate dealing with them, this is why I became not a printer tech.

Have 2 M365N's that I migrated to a new 2016 server and they are randomly ignoring doc retention and the printer queue is getting clogged up on larger files, but only sometimes; loving printer poo poo.