Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

DalaranJ posted:

Doesn’t that activate adrenaline stamina depletion?

mmm, probably, but sometimes it doesn't matter. (I'm deep in the postgame so most things don't matter to me anymore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm in ch6 and I haven't paid attention to stamina at all besides 1 time when I played without visiting a private room for a whole night and wading across rivers.

Just drink some Monster dummy! For your health!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Don't forget you can chug monster freely in timefall or rivers!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do you ever need to poop? Can’t figure out what the point of pooping in the private room is, besides tapping on the fourth wall

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you get poop grenades. You don't Have To poop though

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

stev posted:

I really wish there were at least a couple of NPCs in cities and distribution centres. Unless the game is gearing up for you're the only one left, everyone else is an AI/hologram twist it makes no sense for there not to be a couple of guys loading cargo or working on cars etc.
That is definitely a thing Yoko Taro would do.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
No. 2 grenades being blue water is such a cop out, cmon. Fudge me up Kojima.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No. 2 grenades being blue water is such a cop out, cmon. Fudge me up Kojima.

It's a good joke about maxi pad and adult diaper commercials that use blue water

Also let me tell you about the time I drank too much blue curacao

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm so god drat close to having a fully-complete road network but the swamp sections need loving dummy amounts of ceramics.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

stev posted:

I really wish there were at least a couple of NPCs in cities and distribution centres. Unless the game is gearing up for you're the only one left, everyone else is an AI/hologram twist it makes no sense for there not to be a couple of guys loading cargo or working on cars etc.

It's probably to reduce resources used, or they didn't have time to deal with every way you could conceivably gently caress with NPCs even with weapons locked. They do greet you as holograms when you show up all the time though. Also from the NPC Porters that we do come across, none of them move cargo remotely close to the scale or speed that Sam does.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

homeless snail posted:

you get poop grenades. You don't Have To poop though

Oh right I forgot about those because they’re poo poo

Was wondering if maybe eating bugs made you poop or something. And one of the hot springs said something about aiding digestion, but maybe that’s just flavor text.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
kojipro isn't actually that big of a company. i'd guess they probably didn't have time/resources to add more npcs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh right I forgot about those because they’re poo poo

Was wondering if maybe eating bugs made you poop or something. And one of the hot springs said something about aiding digestion, but maybe that’s just flavor text.
The more bugs you eat the bigger your poop is, and the more poop grenades you get

Lucky Greedo
Feb 14, 2012

At last, he held the throat of his beater.
been watching fiancee play this off and on and best moment of game was higgs getting tied up and then screaming like a car was running over his nuts at 2mph :perfect:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 22, 2019

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

I'm so god drat close to having a fully-complete road network but the swamp sections need loving dummy amounts of ceramics.

Yup. That's when I stopped building roads and went to zipline life.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm catching up on the cliff notes and cutscenes.

So when Cliff and Sam get shot in the hospital, the fan wiki says Bridget goes to the beach as Amelie to revive Sam. Err, how? Amelie is not Bridget. I've read that in some explanations they are the same person but is it shown how comes to be?

Also when old Bridget dies the fan wiki says Amelie is made president. I don't recall any explanation of the mechanics of this succession of power. Is Amelie also holding some political office? But shes captive in edge knot city so how can she be made president in absentia?

And when did Amelie get stuck on the beach? What event caused this and when?

Is it shown how and why Amelie becomes an EE?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
drat I love the transitions to new episodes. Episode 9 was especially sick

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

So when Cliff and Sam get shot in the hospital, the fan wiki says Bridget goes to the beach as Amelie to revive Sam. Err, how? Amelie is not Bridget. I've read that in some explanations they are the same person but is it shown how comes to be?

Also when old Bridget dies the fan wiki says Amelie is made president. I don't recall any explanation of the mechanics of this succession of power. Is Amelie also holding some political office? But shes captive in edge knot city so how can she be made president in absentia?

This is a fun test for me to see how much of this I understand myself, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) If I remember right, Amelie was "born" on the beach when Bridget was sick with cancer (I want to say she briefly died on the operating table, but I'm not confident this actually happened and that I'm not just making that detail up). She's actually Bridget's soul, which has been separated and remains on the beach, while Bridget's body went back to the real world and continues to age. I don't understand the metaphysics of this but that's what the game says; so in a way, Amelie is bridget, or half of her, anyway; I guess Bridget must have some level of control or at least influence over her. I also don't understand at all why Amelie was able to make Sam a repatriate or give other people DOOMS

2) I don't think the game gets horribly specific about the constitution or succession procedures of the UCA; I would say this is just a case of the government working the way Kojima wants it to work for his narrative with no real explanation

3) see 1

4) This one stumps me too, tbh and I'd love for someone to explain it--the whole EE thing is this game's nanomachines, for me, I got lost there. I don't know why Amelie is an EE, or why she wants to cause the extinction, but also wants to be stopped by Sam, I guess?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Amelie isn't officially president. Bridget's death was kept secret so she's still officially in charge; Die-Hardman and the gang just accepted Amelie as their leader for the expedition to reconnect the country. Not that there's much of a country to run, or any elections to replace the president or anything.

Ainsley McTree posted:

4) This one stumps me too, tbh and I'd love for someone to explain it--the whole EE thing is this game's nanomachines, for me, I got lost there. I don't know why Amelie is an EE, or why she wants to cause the extinction, but also wants to be stopped by Sam, I guess?

I think Amelie was just born as an EE. Hence the weird never-decaying umbilical cord that's "connected to the other side" and all that. My read was that she doesn't actually want this extinction event but she views it as completely inevitable. She sees her two options as to cling to life for as long as possible (fully believing that it's just delaying the inevitable) or to get it over with and end it with dignity. She is undecided which of these options is for the best, and is leaning towards the latter throughout most of the story until Sam convinces her otherwise.

Edit: what spoiler tags, they were perfect

Triarii fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 22, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Triarii posted:

Amelie isn't officially president. Bridget's death was kept secret so she's still officially in charge; Die-Hardman and the gang just accepted Amelie as their leader for the expedition to reconnect the country. Not that there's much of a country to run, or any elections to replace the president or anything.

I think Amelie was just born as an EE. Hence the weird never-decaying umbilical cord that's "connected to the other side" and all that. My read was that she doesn't actually want this extinction event but she views it as completely inevitable. She sees her two options as to cling to life for as long as possible (fully believing that it's just delaying the inevitable) or to get it over with and end it with dignity. She is undecided which of these options is for the best, and is leaning towards the latter throughout most of the story until Sam convinces her otherwise.

may want to tweak the spoiler tags in that quote :ssh:

and yeah that's another fair point about the president thing; the "country" is just a bunch of people in a bunker at the start of the game, they don't exactly have a big jurisdiction or a popular mandate to satisfy; the president can be whoever they say it is really

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Shaocaholica posted:

If you remember the talk about ha and ka, Amelie is the ka and Bridget is the ha. It was also established earlier that people connected in this way are able to to communicate like Mama and her sister can, even after Mama dies.

Amelie can't leave the beach because she's a ka or a soul, and those can't really exist out in the world outside of the BT's

Bridget/Amelie was born an EE. The "universe is trying to wipe out life to return itself to an unordered state. The previous 5 were attempts to do so by the universe which ultimately failed because, as Amelie says, an Extinction is not just an ending but a chance to streamline life to make it more robust and able to handle hard times. Each time in the previous big 5 life soldiered on, stronger and hardier than before. This 6th extinction is supposed to be so intense that nothing can survive though what with the entire planet being wiped out by an antimatter explosion thanks to the chiral network expanding Amelie's reach into the world

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you remember the talk about ha and ka, Amelie is the ka and Bridget is the ha. It was also established earlier that people connected in this way are able to to communicate like Mama and her sister can, even after Mama dies.

Amelie can't leave the beach because she's a ka or a soul, and those can't really exist out in the world outside of the BT's

Yeah I've read that one before but what about the physical Amelie that went on an expedition west? The one that got kidnapped? The Amelie that everyone in the real world is talking about making president? The Amelie baby that was birthed from Bridget? In the physical world it's heavily implied that Amelie is Bridget's daughter. 2 distinct people with their own bodies. I guess they can have one soul but 2 different bodies? But the singular soul is stuck on the beach? Even though their physical forms are both doing stuff in the real world? I thought you can't do that in lore. You're either on the beach or in your body

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah I've read that one before but what about the physical Amelie that went on an expedition west? The one that got kidnapped? The Amelie that everyone in the real world is talking about making president? The Amelie baby that was birthed from Bridget? In the physical world it's heavily implied that Amelie is Bridget's daughter.

It's all a lie. No one has ever met Amelie in person. There's a whole scene where Deadman says he himself has never met her, only chirialgrams.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah I've read that one before but what about the physical Amelie that went on an expedition west? The one that got kidnapped? The Amelie that everyone in the real world is talking about making president? The Amelie baby that was birthed from Bridget? In the physical world it's heavily implied that Amelie is Bridget's daughter. 2 distinct people with their own bodies. I guess they can have one soul but 2 different bodies? But the singular soul is stuck on the beach? Even though their physical forms are both doing stuff in the real world? I thought you can't do that in lore. You're either on the beach or in your body

The Amelie that went west was in expedition 1, and everyone in that expedition died except, as Amelie would have had you believe, herself. There was no one alive to say they ever met her. Even the people from the second expedition who were left behind to setup knots say they never met her themselves when you come across her. The truth was, she was never physically in the 1st expedition, and she ensured anyone who could have shown her to be a liar was killed by terrorists or BT's. Every time Sam encounters her it's either as a hologram, projected through the Chiral network (which she can interact with due to it pushing its data through beaches) or through Sam's dreams, which she controls as the entity which caused the DOOM syndrome. Sam never actually saw her in person either.

Bridget had ovarian cancer really early in life and was never able to have kids. She made up Amelie after she was treated for it to explain why this girl that looked a lot like her (who was, in fact, her Ka or soul) didn't seem to age.

Amelie never met anyone in person, I believe, any interaction she had was remotely, either through a hologram or a dream. She always remained on her beach once she and Bridget separated.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Theres no physical form of Amelie. DieHardman starts to speculate in a recording (before going to confront her on the beach) that no one has ever met Amelie, and it’s convenient that she’s the only “survivor” of one of two teams that went out west that was sent by Bridget. The rest of the gang also never met her in person. She’s able to project herself through the chiral network. It’s presumed that’s how she would rule as president.

Amelies cover was when she was younger she was always sick and spent most of the time in the hospital. She never existed in the physical world. Sams memories of her were on the beach.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Just curious if you finished this, cause this is all pretty explicitly addressed in the ending

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I guess I should bow out, I still need to see Heartman and I'm 90+ hours in

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I guess I should bow out, I still need to see Heartman and I'm 90+ hours in

Heartman is great. The scene where you first meet him is really something else.
*thumbs up*

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hat question: What does the Santa Hat do? I can't find its function anywhere online.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Light spoilers. It's a minute long performance capture reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tYEhXxVEwo

Tommie Earl Jenkins going the distance with his performance

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

homeless snail posted:

Just curious if you finished this, cause this is all pretty explicitly addressed in the ending

Nah I’m halfway through the ending but not really going in full faith order and don’t really care to but eventually I will.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Am I the only one deconstructing useless bridges to nowhere that show up in the world with 100000 likes? because gently caress those things

It doesn't give you bandwidth or resources back, but it does seem like there is a hard cap on the number of online structures that show up in your game, so deleting them does force other ones to spawn in your game, at least that I've seen.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i'll delete any bridge or zipline that seems useless. I assume it doesn't delete in their world, just blocks it from you, so they're not gonna mind

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Am I the only one deconstructing useless bridges to nowhere that show up in the world with 100000 likes? because gently caress those things

It doesn't give you bandwidth or resources back, but it does seem like there is a hard cap on the number of online structures that show up in your game, so deleting them does force other ones to spawn in your game, at least that I've seen.

I do because they throw me off when I've got a good route set up. I want to set my waypoints to my structures and know that I'm not going to end up someplace stupid.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theCalamity posted:

Light spoilers. It's a minute long performance capture reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tYEhXxVEwo

Show me the fuckin' shower mocap you fuckers

I really hope we get some good tell-all interviews. I really wanna know what they thought of how out there this story gets.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

emdash posted:

i'll delete any bridge or zipline that seems useless. I assume it doesn't delete in their world, just blocks it from you, so they're not gonna mind

it doesn't "block" it, though, because I've deleted a bridge only for it to come back in the same place :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

theCalamity posted:

I wanna see the reel of Norman goofing off in the private room. I assume he was just winking at random crew guys

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I already pre-ordered the art book, comes out next January. I'm so excited to absorb all the juicy tidbits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Make sure there’s always a 10 foot ring of solid ground around your zip lines otherwise you could fall to your death by dismounting a zip line