Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
This is amazing. If you want to see the state of the anti- anti-Vietnam thinking circa 1984 watch this rebuttal to the documentary "Vietnam: A television history."

They even got Chuck Heston to host!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsYwdCoOIEI

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Would one you American based folks mind checking Google play and Amazon Prime for Don't Break Down: A film about Jawbreaker? It's supposed to be out today, but not showing up on either for me. However I'm in Canada.

Hopefully that wasn't just a U.S. release date.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SimonCat posted:

This is amazing. If you want to see the state of the anti-Vietnam thinking circa 1984 watch this rebuttal to the documentary "Vietnam: A television history."

They even got Chuck Heston to host!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsYwdCoOIEI

I'm guessing this one is pro-vietnam war and full of bullshit.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Would one you American based folks mind checking Google play and Amazon Prime for Don't Break Down: A film about Jawbreaker? It's supposed to be out today, but not showing up on either for me. However I'm in Canada.

Hopefully that wasn't just a U.S. release date.

I see it on Amazon Prime.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mahoning posted:

I see it on Amazon Prime.

Thanks for checking. Guess I'm waiting more. drat.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm guessing this one is pro-vietnam war and full of bullshit.

Yes, I probably wasn't clear. It's complete bullshit that conflates all communists as the same and uses the genocide in Cambodia as proof that the US was right to oppose communist expansion in SEA, while ignoring the fact that Vietnam fought a war with Cambodia and that the only reason the Khmer Rouge was able to take power was that the US destabilized the country by attacking it.

It also features statements by then Representative John McCain that the real lesson of the Vietnam War is to oppose communism at all costs, therefore we need to support anti-communist efforts in El Salvador.

The final thrust of the film is that the Vietnam was was won on the battlefield but was lost by the media turning public opinion against the war.

It's some extremely primo 80s Cold War propaganda.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I asked the director on the FB page. He put it up on Vimeo. gently caress it, I'm not waiting.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I kinda like watching the CNN "The xx'" series, they usually manage to cover most of the important stuff in the limited time they have. That said: gently caress THEM for white-washing the Bush presidency in their "The 2000s" season. Ugh.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
And that stupid piano fill.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Hey so I made a doc that aired last week. It's about how my home state of New Mexico blew up its own mental healthcare system by falsely accusing a bunch of companies of fraud and shutting them down without due process. It's part poor-man's Errol Morris procedural and part poor-man's Streetwise.

It's called The Shake-Up and NMPBS is streaming it here: https://portal.knme.org/video/the-shake-up-gekpbo/

Is there another way to watch this? It's not available in my area (Upstate NY) and I don't have PBS Passport.

e: looks like I missed the expiration date

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Anyone check out The Amazing Johnathan Documentary on hulu? I get why a lot of folks are upset by the direction it goes but I find it absolutely fascinating.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Watched the doc Unlocking the Cage last night on HBO.

Very moving, incredibly interesting film about a group that is attempting to assert that certain animals (specifically those that have demonstrated extremely high cognitive capabilities, like Chimps, Elephants, Dolphins, etc) should be granted person hood under the law, preventing people from confining them and/or experimenting on them.

While initially you may scoff ("They're animals, not people!") that's absolutely the distinction that they're trying to make- 'person' and 'human' are two different things under the law, and currently animals and other non-humans are seen as 'things'.

Their goal is to ascribe rights to non humans such that non humans have the right to not be, basically, incarcerated.

Quite compelling, very interesting, heartily recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKHheefCWMU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

^^^
Disappointed that this isn't about Nic Cage

Are there any good Manson documentaries? From the Once Upon... Thread I got the impression that it works better if you're familiar with the murders.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sexpig by night posted:

Anyone check out The Amazing Johnathan Documentary on hulu? I get why a lot of folks are upset by the direction it goes but I find it absolutely fascinating.

It's apparently playing here at a theater, should I go?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Oneohtrix Point Never Scores New Movie Starring Adam Sandler and the Weeknd

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's apparently playing here at a theater, should I go?

Yeah, it's pretty good

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yeah, it's pretty good

Seconding, mentioned it before but it's a really good doc overall

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Disappointed that this isn't about Nic Cage

Are there any good Manson documentaries? From the Once Upon... Thread I got the impression that it works better if you're familiar with the murders.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VQQyBIHfr8g

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Found footage doc of a fire me and my brother got sent out of state for because our parents panicked when the sky turned red

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPpOXH0ADSg

I think it's my favourite movie

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 26, 2019

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Has anyone watched American Factory on Netflix? Is it worth checking out?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

LesterGroans posted:

I enjoyed it. Focuses mostly on the cultural relations between the American and Chinese workers, as well as the difference in work ethics and what's expected from management. It touches on automation towards the end.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
One of the focus areas of the documentary are unions. They also showed how unions work in China, where they are there to make sure the employees work harder :)

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

American Factory was fantastic. With how my own job is going, I felt its themes in my bones

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just watched Slave to the Grind (a documentary about grindcore).

They did not mince words about Seth Putnam.

I thoroughly enjoyed it (not just that aspect, although I don't think much of Seth).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 3, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m intrigued, as I think Seth was a prick.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

LesterGroans posted:

It made me glad I'm not Chinese.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Anyone here know what happened to Sean Dunne? He made American Juggalo, Trump Rally and Oxyana. I really loved his short docs and Oxyana was just loving amazing (look them up, they are all in Youtube).

Looks like he stopped releasing stuff in 2016.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Anyone here know what happened to Sean Dunne? He made American Juggalo, Trump Rally and Oxyana. I really loved his short docs and Oxyana was just loving amazing (look them up, they are all in Youtube).

Looks like he stopped releasing stuff in 2016.

He’s on Twitter. Apparently has a podcast.

https://twitter.com/SeanVeryApe

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I saw March of the Gods: Botswana Metal a few weeks ago, and it’s truly the coolest documentary ever. It’s a bit Vice-y at times and could be a bit tighter but don’t let that stop you whatsoever. If you’re really passionate about any music genre and community this is an absolute goddamn must.

It’s on YT in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mIB0eiP3eg

teen witch fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 16, 2019

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Good documentary about how there's a slot machine every two feet in Australia and it's a severe public health problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bny1qgKO46A

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

teen witch posted:

I saw March of the Gods: Botswana Metal a few weeks ago, and it’s truly the coolest documentary ever. It’s a bit Vice-y at times and could be a bit tighter but don’t let that stop you whatsoever. If you’re really passionate about any music genre and community this is an absolute goddamn must.

It’s on YT in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mIB0eiP3eg

Cool, thanks for posting this! I remember reading an article on that years ago, maybe even in Vice. But it was quite light on information and I had no idea there was a documentary, so that's awesome.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Anyone know of any good documentaries about art galleries? I'm more interested in the economics or the procedures of an art gallery than the artistic process.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

pospysyl posted:

Anyone know of any good documentaries about art galleries? I'm more interested in the economics or the procedures of an art gallery than the artistic process.

Frederick Wiseman's National Gallery, about the National Gallery in London, is exactly what you're looking for

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Should have figured Wiseman would have made a documentary along those lines. Thanks!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
New PBS documentary on AI, covers a lot of topics:

https://www.pbs.org/video/in-the-age-of-ai-zwfwzb/

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This was on locally earlier this week - I second the recommendation. It was quite interesting.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Went to a screening last night of Recorder: The Marion Stokes Project at the Metrograph in NYC. In summary, a left-wing activist from Philadelphia recorded recorded 24/7 television, mostly news, from 1979 till her death in 2012. Her tapes ended up with the internet archived and are being uploaded and made both viewable and searchable.

Honestly, a fantastic documentary about our relationship with media and how news shapes public opinion. Lots of fascinating archival footage. Marion Stokes was way ahead of her time. Highly recommended if and when it's available VOD or on a streaming platform.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=recorder+the+marion+stokes+project

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Did she record the local ads? I don't give a poo poo about old news but cannot rest until I hear the Catskill Game Farm jingle again.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Did she record the local ads? I don't give a poo poo about old news but cannot rest until I hear the Catskill Game Farm jingle again.

Literally everything, including ads.

I know the exact ad you're talking about. Thanks for putting the need to find it into my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
This isn't really a singular 'documentary' per se but if you like that sort of thing, Seth from the UYD podcast compiled a bunch of clips from 80s/90s/2000s tv into short "episodes" called Seth Clips in 25 volumes. They each kinda loosely have a 'theme' but it's mostly a kinda anxious jumble of images that, removed from all context, are just indescribably strange: Snoop dogg morphs into an actual dog. a guy in venice walks up to a police car and speaks with a false echo voice. a terribly acted livelinks ad. a woman cries on a hair restoration infomercial. another, more explicit phone sex ad, even more laughably acted. heat-vision helicopter footage from early afghanistan war; soliders chuckle as they blow little person shaped blobs into glowing smithereens. a cereal ad featuring a forgotten z-lister. a clip from COPS where they arrest crossdressers in 90s hollywood. on and on.

i'm not doing them justice, they really are strange.

https://vimeo.com/sethscorner

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 22, 2019