Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Is there likely to be an Oculus Quest 2 next year? I'm tempted to get the Quest for use with the Link but wouldn't mind waiting if an updated one is coming out soon.

It's only been out 6 months and hasn't even had a sale / price cut yet. All signs point to no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

It seems extremely likely that they're losing money with the Quest (how could they seriously sell the Rift S and the Quest at the same price point when the Quest also has like an entire phone in it as well?), and their goal seems to be making VR cheaper and easier for people to access. I'd guess it's more likely they'd be focused on driving down the cost, and maybe some sort of re-design or comfort refresh or something with the same guts. I wouldn't expect to see a Quest 2 for another few years.

yeah it's doubtful, but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if a refresh was out soon-ish, kinda like vive v1.0 vs 2.0 that came out half? a year later that was lighter and probably cheaper to produce. same device, just more refined.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I'm getting a Quest. Grabbing it next paycheck, with a few Oculus games so I can prep for Half Life.

I notice the only difference between models seems to be HDD space. I'm basically only going to be using this thing as a PCVR device, using the Link. At that point my HDD will be my PCs HDD yeah, and thus extra space won't matter?

$100 for double the space seems kind of inefficient. Unless you can only play games installed to the device itself or something.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rookersh posted:

So I'm getting a Quest. Grabbing it next paycheck, with a few Oculus games so I can prep for Half Life.

I notice the only difference between models seems to be HDD space. I'm basically only going to be using this thing as a PCVR device, using the Link. At that point my HDD will be my PCs HDD yeah, and thus extra space won't matter?

$100 for double the space seems kind of inefficient. Unless you can only play games installed to the device itself or something.

I think you get effectively like 50 something gb, and most games are somewhere between 0.5 - 1.5 gb (a few are bigger, like Vader Immortal episode 2), but most are on the smaller side. Worst case you can delete some old stuff.

I think the larger size is not necessary at all, even if you use it standalone pretty heavily.

Also you might want to check out https://www.lambda1vr.com/ if you want to get ready for Half Life Alyx, it's a HL1 mod for the Quest :toot:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rookersh posted:

I have the 64gb, it was able to fit all 30-ish launch titles with room to spare. There's no need for the more expensive one unless you want a library of 3D movies ready to go when traveling etc.

Yes, if you are using it for Oculus Link then you won't be using any storage at all. PC games don't need to be on the Quest to play them with Link.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Lemming posted:

Yes, he's referring to the Quest team and the S team, which included people working at Lenovo, as the two different teams. Jesus loving christ dude you've been on this stupid point forever and it's all just completely pulled out of your rear end. Every single quote makes it clear they worked on it together.

Can you please chill out whenever someone says something negative about your favorite company.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemming posted:

Also you might want to check out https://www.lambda1vr.com/ if you want to get ready for Half Life Alyx, it's a HL1 mod for the Quest :toot:

:aaa:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Skyarb posted:

Can you please chill out whenever someone says something negative about your favorite company.

There's a difference between being negative and making poo poo up. I really hate it when people make poo poo up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if HL2 could run natively on Quest with some work. I don't see why not, CS:Source does like a billion FPS on old integrated graphics right?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Lemming posted:

There's a difference between being negative and making poo poo up. I really hate it when people make poo poo up.

just both of you link your sources, it's a bit of work but it clears everything up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Taintrunner posted:

Alyx is compatible with all SteamVR headsets. Finger tracking won’t add much to the experience.

it will probably at a lot to the experience, just not something wholly unique to the index controllers. While holding in a trigger to grab an object works just fine, finger tracking will probably feel a lot nicer. People with Index controllers will say it's great, and people without will say it's all a bunch of BS and using a trigger is "good enough." if done right, it will probably add a lot to immersion.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Good Dumplings posted:

just both of you link your sources, it's a bit of work but it clears everything up

He already linked it, I just read the whole thing. To reiterate:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oculus themselves have said that Lenovo was responsible for the design, manufacturing, and distribution of the Rift S with no communication with the Quest development team.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-explains-rift-s-design-partnership-lenovo/

quote:

"Rift S is designed in partnership with Lenovo."

“This is a device that Lenovo really helped us design and did work on. […] We found Lenovo to be a fantastic partner. We found them to be incredibly talented.”

Lenovo was a partner, they weren't in charge of everything (I was responding to someone who said that it was "outsourced" to Lenovo). To further say there was "no communication with the Quest development team" is also beyond absurd, considering both the Quest and the S use the literal exact same controllers, as well as the same tracking technology. To posit that they didn't communicate internally is just straight up bizarre.

I have no idea why he keeps harping on this ludicrous made up point. It's not based in reality and it makes no sense.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Who gives a poo poo though, honestly?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Who gives a poo poo though, honestly?

Where do you think you're posting?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Methodically correcting misinformation is vital in These Times. Every example is a chance to learn. Let them fight.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lemming posted:

I have no idea why he keeps harping on this ludicrous made up point. It's not based in reality and it makes no sense.

Neddy Seagoon does it constantly in this thread. He states some made up nonsense as fact, and then smugly defends it in the face of overwhelming evidence that he is wrong.

I suggest just ignoring him.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Tip posted:

Neddy Seagoon does it constantly in this thread. He states some made up nonsense as fact, and then smugly defends it in the face of overwhelming evidence that he is wrong.

I suggest just ignoring him.

I am just going to put them both on my ignore list.

Actual thread content: Can't wait to punch headcrabs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What if you have to physically remove headcrabs off your head?

Haptic feedback helmets, get on it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lemming posted:

Where do you think you're posting?
The most weirdly angry thread in games. The place where somehow all the VR nerds are actually VR jocks

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

^^^ VR Jocks are still loving nerds though and they should chill.

Leal posted:

What if you have to physically remove headcrabs off your head?

Haha that would be loving awesome. I am honestly full onboard hype train for HL:A. It looks great. Even teh bit about the unloaded gun just feels so familiar in Valve humor. I don't care if I set myself up for disappointment, I'm gonna ride this high.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Skyarb posted:

^^^ A VR Jock is still a loving nerd though.
Yeah but worse, because when they get into dumb arguments about VR they give you a virtual swirlie

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

homeless snail posted:

Yeah but worse, because when they get into dumb arguments about VR they give you a virtual swirlie

Vacation simulator was nothing like I thought it would be *swirlee continues*

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Rookersh posted:

I got the 64 gig model and haven't even used up half the space.

Also, a bunch of the games I've gotten are just single story playthroughs (Moss, Red Matter, etc) so I'll just erase them when I, and my kids, have played them through.

Really the only games on the Quest that we play almost every single day are beat saber and pistol whip. And you can replay the heck out of those titles.

Lemming posted:

It seems extremely likely that they're losing money with the Quest

Maybe. I'd think it would be closer to breaking even with the expectation of making up any losses on software sales and licensing.

Heck, they've been building VR headsets for a while though. They might have the manufacturing/logistics thing locked down and be making a small profit.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

VR headsets the new console war this time on your face.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm still hoping for VR to get to a point where I can comfortably be productive in it (coding and whatnot), but it sounds like display tech just isn't there yet? I also see two-year-old articles about keyboards made for VR, but nothing on the market.

Still, I'll be tempted if the new Half-Life game is actually good and either flagship setup gets a pricedrop.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless snail posted:

The most weirdly angry thread in games.

:( sadly

homeless snail posted:

The place where somehow all the VR nerds are actually VR jocks

I am def not a jock lmao

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I got the 128GB Quest and it was the best decision I ever made.

:shepicide:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Has it been posted that Half-Life Alyx has been added to accounts that bought the index? It wasn't there earlier, and I just checked my steam account and the game is in my library now.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Cojawfee posted:

Has it been posted that Half-Life Alyx has been added to accounts that bought the index? It wasn't there earlier, and I just checked my steam account and the game is in my library now.

Don't know if its there but they have definitely confirmed this to be the case. If its not there now it will be at some point.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

RandomBlue posted:

I got the 128GB Quest and it was the best decision I ever made.

:shepicide:

Thats all they had in stock for me.

I don't regret it really. Worst case I have tons of extra storage.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm still hoping for VR to get to a point where I can comfortably be productive in it (coding and whatnot), but it sounds like display tech just isn't there yet? I also see two-year-old articles about keyboards made for VR, but nothing on the market.

Still, I'll be tempted if the new Half-Life game is actually good and either flagship setup gets a pricedrop.
Its doable, you just may have to crank text sizes up a little bit cause your virtual monitors are gonna resolve to subjectively sub-1080p, maybe even sub 720p depending on distance. I wouldn't make it my primary monitor, but with the Index you can definitely say gently caress around with Unity and write some behaviours without taking your headset off and be relatively comfortable (as opposed to a Vive where I absolutely was not comfortable doing that)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I got the 128gb Quest because it's my only way to watch 3D movies and the filesize on those things are huuuge. I like watching 2D poo poo too in the virtual theater, so the space goes quick.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there anyone here that went from a Rift S and was out of the IPD range and used a Quest or something with an adjustable IPD? I like the Rift S but my main problem is an everpresent blur. Some of it is glasses fog, granted, but it is something I noticed while being a hair outside of the IPD range. I was wondering if it is that much for an improvement to have a proper mechanical slider.

I did

My IPD is 66.5, biased a little to the right. Getting a clear image from the rift S meant sliding it over a little to the right, to an extent that it was resting uncomfortably on my nose. I didn't get much in the way of edge to edge clarity, but central clarity was good. What was most annoying was the differences in distortion / aberrations each eye was receiving due to their different positions in front of their respective lenses. It made moments where looking to the edge of a lens was unavoidable very unpleasant (example: squatting under a wall in beat saber and looking forward at the same time)

Now I have an index, too. The adjustable IPD does make a huge difference in terms of finding a comfortable fit, for me. The superior optics of the index and the adjustable IPD let me split the difference between each eye, so neither of them are perfectly centered, but the headset fits more comfortably and I can wear it for longer without my eyes getting tired or feeling like the entire weight of the headset is resting on any one pressure point. I think the Rift S is a pretty good presbyopia simulator, in the sense that you must look by turning your head or body rather than looking around with your eyes. Whereas in the Index, I can actually look around with my eyes a bit, and the reduced chromatic aberration and blurring as I do so makes it generally less fatiguing to my eyes. If I really do want that "perfect visual experience", I can adjust the entire headset over a little bit and do the same thing I did with the rift S, but the minor upgrade in visuals this offers for me, I generally don't consider big enough to trade off the significantly reduced comfort.

I think it's probably safe to say that if you're within an acceptable range of the Rift S fixed IPD (+/- 2.0 or so in either direction), the blurring and distortions you're seeing are more likely to be an element of the lenses themselves and you're not going to see a huge upgrade in edge to edge clarity just by moving to a different headset with similar lens design, just because it has an adjustable IPD (presumably, the quest, or a previous generation headset like the CV1 or HTC Vive). If you're farther out of range of the headset spec, then even a lens with a tiny sweetspot will seem like a good visual upgrade if you can actually bring that sweetspot directly in front of your eyes.

I think this generally highlights to me that not every headset is going to fit every person, and that's kind of a big deal when you're looking at dropping hundreds of dollars on something and may also be forced to buy from a location where returning the headset isn't trivial. VR Arcades or knowing people with VR headsets helps, but not everyone has that luxury, either.

The Big Bad Worf fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 22, 2019

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A VR recreation of the giant mech battles from Robot Jox; two playable modes, either from the cockpit with arm tracking or as the actual mecha embodied as the player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o&t=65s

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I managed to fill my 64GB Quest up, with only 5GB to spare.

because I copied over 36GB worth of 3D movies and a few hundred Beat Saber songs and all the games I own and all the free ones, don't bother with the 128GB version. If something happens that makes people want that extra 64GB of space, it is more likely to make people want way more than just an extra 64GB and hopefully the flash chip is just an unplug and replace like on the Switch. Maybe if you wanna just carry around a ton of media on the Quest for some reason and don't want to just copy new stuff over from a laptop/tablet while travelling?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait. ALVR works with oculus go? That’s kind of cool

ALVR was designed for the Go (and maybe GearVR?) and the Quest version is mostly just a hacked together miracle.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Did you not see the part where people who bought the Index get the game?

Yeah I was wrong, I totally had it added to my library, I was wrong.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I have the 64gb, it was able to fit all 30-ish launch titles with room to spare. ...

The 64 is good enough if you don't have interest in installing pirate/sidequest content or 2d/3d movies. I've filled my 64gb up several times without movies/tv shows I could use more space.

As time goes on games will likely get bigger but if you don't have a data cap (and you bought legit) it's easy to just uninstall an reinstall what you want.

The 64 is good enough for nearly everyone unless you want to take a bunch of video content with you to a place without internet.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Finished Vader: Immortal Episode 3 yesterday. From the first episode, the series felt like a theme park ride to me with actors herding you along to the next event, and that still continues here. I think it lasted about 40 minutes, so I think the whole series likely clocks in about 90 minutes. Some cool set pieces here and there and an okay-ish finale. Overall, as a Star Wars fan, I really enjoyed the series. If it wasn't for the franchise, I likely wouldn't have picked it up and/or enjoyed it as much.

Some more spoilerrific thoughts...

- Boo at hinting that we'd be controlling an army and then passing it along to another character. I thought that it would be the main new thing, and while I wasn't expecting a full-fledged RTS, it already felt cool just to point my laser sword.

- I really can't say why, but just using telekinesis to place those batteries in place just feels so freaking cool.

- Chase in the tunnel felt a bit long. The droid banter also got a bit tiring after awhile.

- The action bits in the Mustafar castle were my favourite part. Not too difficult, but the range of options just made it fun. Grabbing rifles, throwing detonators, etc. The final boss in the TIE Fighter was also surprisingly fun and suitably epic. It went a bit too fast at the end, but did we get to Immortan Joe him there?

- As for the final fight with Vader... okay? I don't think anything could've remotely lived up to the expectations of dueling him. And having your ghost buddy just pausing the game to literally tell you what to do was a bit disappointing. I already noticed where I was, I saw my sword laying there, I was already going to pull it to me and push it in there. While I can understand that they do it to make sure that the player follows the story along, I would've liked it more if that was a fallback if you didn't do the sequence right.

- Didn't quite understand how I was able to survive at the end, I suppose have Ghost Buddy to thank for that as well? I did appreciate the 'And the adventure continues' ending.

Also, I didn't expect that the Lightsaber Dojo wouldn't suck me into it for a third time, as I didn't expect it to offer much new, but then I unlocked wielding two sabers at the same time... and I can be fairly easy-to-please, so that'll likely get me to play it some more.

It's just a fun Star Wars experience and I'm really happy that they went ahead and did this. I don't think they set out to create a revolutionary game, but something to demonstrate what kind of storytelling you can do in VR. I've used the first episode as an introduction to the Quest for some people, and the fact that it's really easy in bringing you from point A to point B just really got them into it.

I do want to to play through the whole experience at some point and see how it feels in one long run. While I'm assuming it's not possible, it would be nice if there'd be an option where you could easily flow from one episode into the other without having to change apps.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

mashed_penguin posted:

VR headsets the new console war this time on your face.

It's a war on my face, and everyone's coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

It's a war on my face, and everyone's coming

Bukkake