Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Take the leaky water and put it in a super soaker. Spray the ceiling until it crumbles. Force the landlord to fix his messed up ceiling. Walla!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Why not just call code enforecment next time it drips.
I ended up calling the city on one of my recent landlords.

The list of poo poo got fixed fast when they got the official notice from the city.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

RabbitMage posted:

Gulliotines for the ruling class, yes.

It appears the water is just condensation and the ducts aren't designed in such a way that it doesn't drain anywhere else. This isn't a consistent problem, but had happened about a dozen times in the year and a half we've been here, so I don't know how much legal weight it carries.

And I don't want to be a prissy little bitch, but I do prefer not to have water dripping on me while I poo poo, so finding out we might just have to put up with that is disappointing.

The thing to remember is that water is never just water, so the fact that it is condensate, even if true, is pretty much irrelevant. Water on ceilings and walls leads to ceiling and wall damage, which you'll be held responsible for. Water on ceilings and walls and especially in ducts also leads to mold. Mold leads to air quality and health issues. Moist environments also attract vermin of various sorts, because they all need water and will go wherever it is.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Okay, so my fiancée and I are moving cross country. She just got a job in Olympia, WA and we live in Madison, WI. She moved out here to be with me about 2 years ago, and it was much easier then because she was just graduating from grad school, and was able to fit everything in her Hyundai Accent. Now we're going back the other direction, and we have an actual apartment full of poo poo. We live in a one bedroom lofted apartment. Her new job starts August 26th, and will be going out there with a car full of poo poo sometime the week before. I will be following sometime in September as I have some job commitments and it will give me time to pack things up and also look for a job.

She is flying out this weekend to look at potential apartments.

Anyone with experience moving cross country, what do I need to know? Right now, I'm leaning towards either getting a 15 foot uhaul and towing my car, or getting a Relocube. PODS seem expensive as gently caress. Are there other options to consider? I plan on giving Budget a call as well to see what they can do.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Assuming you simply can't get rid/replace your furniture, the pod/box/cube/etc option is the best one. Renting and driving a moving truck costs as much if not more factoring gas and is a much more painful experience. And the PNW is too nice of an area to be stuck dealing with a moving truck.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
True. Based on estimates, renting a uhaul and towing my car is about $500 cheaper, but I'll probably get something absurd like 10 mpg in that thing, maybe less considering I'll be hauling all my belongings up a mountain. Plus having to drive the thing slow as gently caress cross country will probably add an additional day to the trip, meaning more money spent on a night of lodging and food.

If either of us had bigger cars, we could probably fit the furniture we actually do not want to part with in them, but I have a small coupe and she has a 2 door hatchback.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
FWIW I had a much cheaper quote from a full-service mover than from a PODs type mover.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I would get quotes for a full moving service and try and go with them. Moving your own poo poo when you don’t have a friend group to buy off with beer and pizza sucks rear end. Let someone else do it. The convenience and peace of mind is worth a lot to me now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

BAE OF PIGS posted:

True. Based on estimates, renting a uhaul and towing my car is about $500 cheaper, but I'll probably get something absurd like 10 mpg in that thing, maybe less considering I'll be hauling all my belongings up a mountain. Plus having to drive the thing slow as gently caress cross country will probably add an additional day to the trip, meaning more money spent on a night of lodging and food.

If either of us had bigger cars, we could probably fit the furniture we actually do not want to part with in them, but I have a small coupe and she has a 2 door hatchback.

Do a cost/benefit analysis on the furniture you want to keep. There's a good chance it's cheaper to buy in Olympia than move from Madison.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
If you do go with a full moving service, you can still save some cash by packing your small items yourself. Just use more packing/cushioning than you think is needed, label each box including if it is fragile, and keep your own list of contents. I've done several cross-country moves and when I packed my stuff, it survived. When the movers did it, several items got broken.

Also, unless it has changed recently, full service movers usually charge a minimum. So if their min is, say, 1000 lbs then you get charged for 1000 lbs even if you've edited your stuff to less than that, so if you're close to 1000 lbs, then you might as well keep what you want to keep. If your stuff weighs more than their minimum then they charge for the actual weight - so that's something to ask about when you check with them.

One other thing, and it may not be daunting in the least to you, but it sure was to me: parking a car that's towing a u-haul (or a truck that's towing a car) is insanely difficult at motels and pretty much anywhere except interstate rest stops where they expect that and have pull-through spaces for them. Also crawling up mountains with a load in tow is slow, and people will blow by you All. The. Time.

If you're already used to towing stuff, these are probably down in the noise level. (I wasn't, and I swore never again.)

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 7, 2019

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Have already reached out to a local tenant's rights org that will get me a free response from an attorney, but thought I'd check here if anyone has had similar experiences. I recently accepted a job offer in another state and will be moving ASAP, but my lease has a "winter no-go" policy that bars lease termination in October, November, and December. My two concerns are 1) whether this is actually legally enforceable in my state (which I'm leaving up to the lawyer); and, 2) whether should I make my landlord aware of my absence from the unit at any point before submitting my two-months notice for lease termination. Any potential risks I should be aware of one way or another? Nothing in my lease says I actually need to be occupying the unit, though I imagine I'm potentially liable for anything that occurs in it while I'm not around?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Okay, so my fiancée and I are moving cross country. She just got a job in Olympia, WA and we live in Madison, WI. She moved out here to be with me about 2 years ago, and it was much easier then because she was just graduating from grad school, and was able to fit everything in her Hyundai Accent. Now we're going back the other direction, and we have an actual apartment full of poo poo. We live in a one bedroom lofted apartment. Her new job starts August 26th, and will be going out there with a car full of poo poo sometime the week before. I will be following sometime in September as I have some job commitments and it will give me time to pack things up and also look for a job.

She is flying out this weekend to look at potential apartments.

Anyone with experience moving cross country, what do I need to know? Right now, I'm leaning towards either getting a 15 foot uhaul and towing my car, or getting a Relocube. PODS seem expensive as gently caress. Are there other options to consider? I plan on giving Budget a call as well to see what they can do.

So today is packing day and tomorrow is moving day. I ended up going with relocubes. Unfortunately my landlord says I can't have one in the parking lot (in case of an emergency, a trailer or truck can be moved, a cube can't. Apparently we have a lot of parking lot emergencies I wasn't aware of) so I've rented a uhaul and an hauling everything to the relocube terminal in town. It's a pain in the rear end, but is a few hundred dollars cheaper, so whatever.

Also, they're showing my place twice today.

I also only have a 12 hour window to load everything, and then get to wake up at the rear end crack of dawn to hit the road. First day will be Madison to Bismarck. Second will be Bismarck to Missoula. And the third day will finally be Missoula to Olympia.

God drat moving loving sucks.

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 9, 2019

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I rent a condo and the association is requiring a bi-annual dryer duct cleaning. I texted my landlord to make sure they were also notified. He replied that it was my responsibility. The condo board is mandating that it be done by a licensed professional, no DIY allowed. What a racket.

I've already replied saying that since it's a professional service, it's not something I take care of and he needs to hire someone. In my mind, this is what I pay rent for. He tried getting me to pay for a special assessment from the condo association already (I refused), so he seems to have a different opinion. I'm just wondering what's normal here.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it would be unusual for you to be responsible for that unless it’s spelled out in the contract. Absent that, he’s the only one with a legal responsibility to the condo board.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Yep, that's what makes him the landlord and you the tenant - he's responsible for the demands of the condo board. That said, gently caress renting from a cash strapped condo owner - that's got to be hellish.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I've been renting for like 10 years now and I've never had a LL ask for something like that. Either the condo assessment or this service.

I followed up and he says he will take care of it. Thankfully I'm not a pushover.

I felt like we were on friendly terms for the first year. I was even willing to buy the tool and DIY, until I found out that wasn't allowed. Now I guess I start looking for a house to buy, then I know for sure everything is my loving problem!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Finally made it cross country last night. AC went out in my car yesterday, just in time to drive through the desert part of the state.

Should be getting my relocube sometime next week. I would definitely recommend them as a service. They went ahead and gave me 3 cubes but told me if I only use 2 or 1, that's what they'll charge me for. As soon as he opened the cube, my friend and I had our jaws drop. We thought there was no way we're get getting everything into those. Turns out I was able to fit nearly everything into one with a bit of Tetris mastery.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Uh so my lease technically ended in June. I had a thought today where I was like, I think I've been living here longer than a year? Checked my lease doc and yup it ended in June.

Should I... talk to my landlord about this? I mean I keep sending rent checks and he hasn't mentioned anything (really I never hear from him at all) about a new lease soooooo...?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Amara posted:

Uh so my lease technically ended in June. I had a thought today where I was like, I think I've been living here longer than a year? Checked my lease doc and yup it ended in June.

Should I... talk to my landlord about this? I mean I keep sending rent checks and he hasn't mentioned anything (really I never hear from him at all) about a new lease soooooo...?
Your original lease presumably has a clause in which it states the lease either renews automatically at the previous duration or it transforms into a month-to-month. Best to check!

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey y'all. I'm moving out of my apartment at the end of the month, and need to decide what to do with the walls. 2-years-ago me decided it was a good idea to mount various things in the kitchen and living room with these plastic drywall anchors, and now I need to resolve that decision. Our agreement states that we are supposed to patch/fill the holes and paint the entire continuous wall to avoid having the cost deducted from our security deposit. Is it worth removing these things and trying to patch and paint everything myself (I don't know what paint they used, so I'd need to ask or find something exactly the same shade), or should I just roll the dice and hope it's not much more expensive for them to repair it? The landlord has been pretty amicable thus far, but nothing serious has really come up while we've been here.

Edit: I should mention that the owner of the unit intends to renovate and turn our 1br into a 2br at the end of the lease to put it back on the market, so I expect a decent amount of work will be done in that process regardless. That's not stated in the lease cancellation agreement though, and in general I'm not sure if it's very relevant.

Keret fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 17, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Keret posted:

Hey y'all. I'm moving out of my apartment at the end of the month, and need to decide what to do with the walls. 2-years-ago me decided it was a good idea to mount various things in the kitchen and living room with these plastic drywall anchors, and now I need to resolve that decision. Our agreement states that we are supposed to patch/fill the holes and paint the entire continuous wall to avoid having the cost deducted from our security deposit. Is it worth removing these things and trying to patch and paint everything myself (I don't know what paint they used, so I'd need to ask or find something exactly the same shade), or should I just roll the dice and hope it's not much more expensive for them to repair it? The landlord has been pretty amicable thus far, but nothing serious has really come up while we've been here.

Edit: I should mention that the owner of the unit intends to renovate and turn our 1br into a 2br at the end of the lease to put it back on the market, so I expect a decent amount of work will be done in that process regardless. That's not stated in the lease cancellation agreement though, and in general I'm not sure if it's very relevant.

Talk to your landlord, if they're immediately renovating the place they might be willing to waive that part of the agreement, and if not you need to talk to them anyways to figure out what paint you need to use. Once you know what paint they use (and its cost by extension) you can calculate if it's worth your time to do yourself or kick it to the landlord.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Going to buy a couch this week. I'm at the point where I can afford something better than ikea but I have no clue what makes a couch "good." From what I can tell a good couch has hardwood construction but even the cheap couches claim to be at least partially hardwood. Any advice on what to look for or avoid? For what it's worth I'm looking to spend about $1,000 usd.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I went to look at a room in Little Italy today and while I think two of the people there were enthusiastic the house mom had concerns about my economic stability. I don't start my new job until next Friday and she's concerned that I may not be able to pay bills on time, even with a safety net from my parents. I told her I could get her some references from my former landlords but I don't know if it will be enough to convince her to take a chance on me. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I could do to try and strengthen my position?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Give her cash in advance?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you have a meaningful amount of savings, you could show her that to demonstrate that you can cover any gap reasonably? Honestly this seems like a kind of weird concern to me, I understand if someone is currently unemployed and doesn't have any work, but you have a job lined up and you're starting next week, that doesn't seem like an issue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SEKCobra posted:

Give her cash in advance?

I already told her I have a blank check for first and last. I don't know if that'll convince her. I'm rather anxious because I start next week and I still don't have a place to stay in the city and there is gently caress all listings available in my price range that aren't gender blocked.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

the house mom

What... is a house mom? :confused:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Johnny Truant posted:

What... is a house mom? :confused:

Basically someone who, either by consensus of the tenants or by the will of the landlord, tends to be the person who runs the house's day to day stuff, making sure people do their cleaning schedule and sometimes (such as in this particular case) handles payments to the landlord. This girl is technically subleasing rooms so she can keep a good price for the house while keeping the agreement in her name.

Anyways, I found another room today that is closer to my work and it looks a lot nicer so I'm going with it instead.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 24, 2019

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
Can anybody recommend a good small diffuser or humidifier that would work on a desk?

I looked on Amazon and there’s so many to pick from my brain just noped out.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Trying to figure out the name for a specific piece of furniture.

It's like the end piece of a sectional (the long part). There are only backs on two sides.

Imagine this was only the long reclining side right part. And also that the part was wider so two people could lay down.

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/kara-modular-outdoor-sofa?category=sofas&color=005&type=REGULAR

Possible names I've found browsing

Chaise Lounge?
Day Bed?
Sleeper Sofa?

Basically I just want some vaguely coach thing that looks like the long corner part of a sectional but it wider than a twin bed.
Can I shop for sectionals but only buy the side piece?
Is there a specific name for what I'm looking for?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 30, 2019

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
It is indeed a chaise lounge

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

I'll be signing a lease for a new apartment at the end of next week, and reading over the sample lease that the property management company has on their website, I noticed a line forbidding playing musical instruments. Trouble is, I was planning on picking up the mandolin again. I'm very cognizant that I suck and so I was already planning on playing extremely quietly and only at reasonable hours because I'll die of shame if anyone can hear more than the faintest little plinks, but having a blanket ban on all instruments is making me paranoid.

Is this typical in leases? If I'm an otherwise good tenant they're not going to boot me out the door for one instrumental offense, will they?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

They probably had prior issues with a tenant practicing drums for a death metal band.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Hi everyone please post your experiences with those moving pod services.

Did you like it?

Easy to use?

Cost?

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I used PODS in 2010 and U-Pack in 2015. Good experiences both times. I was leaving a 1 bedroom/studio each time so I didn't have much stuff and they held everything I wanted to keep. You need to buy two of your own locks to lock it up with, and they're not enormous so you need to do a bit of packing gymnastics.

Finding a place to park them can be difficult depending on where you live. I had the 2010 one parked in a K-Mart parking lot for a few days while I packed it up, and I found a space right in front of my apartment in 2015 and did a same-day drop-off and pick-up (which was hectic but it worked). I had a house with a driveway in Orlando so it was really easy to unpack.

2010 move was Vermont to Southern California, and I remember it being somewhere around $2500 but I don't have the quote because my ex booked it. My quote in 2015 for LA to Orlando was $3700 from PODS and $3200 from U-Pack... and, no joke, I called them and said my budget was $2000 so they gave it to me for $1800. I think I lucked out because they didn't have as many cubes going east at that time but it was AMAZING.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I got a quote for a pod-like service, and they came in at $1k-2k above the regular full service movers I contacted. I did not use them. As always, shop around.

They were the same company who did the disbursement of our moving allowance. Their quote was just under the allowance amount, it seems a little fishy now that I think about it.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

I'm moving from CA to Ireland in about a month. We have full service movers taking our household goods, but we're not taking furniture. I'm trying to sell as much as possible, but is there a decent service that will come and take stuff away for free/a fee?

This isn't my first international move (I'm not American) but it's the first move where I have a lot of stuff and it's a bit overwhelming

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Post on craigslist/Facebook about free poo poo just need to pickup

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My parents have donated to Vietnam Veterans and Volunteers of America. Both came to pick up furniture. If it's not in donatable condition, 1-800-Got-Junk I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I live in the bay area, where we just toss it on the curb and throw a notice up on Craiglist and next door