Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i finished my toxx with saekano as the last show

it was alright i suppose, ive largely lost interested in harems/will they wont they romances as a whole so the premise wasn't really for me. it generally looked good, but even the show itself makes fun of people that defend the most generic shlock by praising the sakuga. as a whole the story was a bit generic, yet another harem of girls with little believable reason to be attracted to the mc getting together to make an otaku project (see also a hundred previous anime) but i enjoyed that one of the girls was just a normal person who had little interest in the whole thing. it also does a lot of meta poking fun of the genre which is something that appeals to me, but when it still engages in all those tropes while making fun it just feels like an rpg making fun of sewers levels by sending you into a sewer. gave it a 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

When will the harems be believable?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

when they manage to make one with an attractive mc again

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

Make Attractive Harem MC's Again = MAHMA?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

I can't self insert onto that

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

code:
New Shows
1. Wake Up, Girls! {COMPLETE}
2. The Hakkenden {COMPLETE}
3. Bodacious Space Pirates {COMPLETE}
4. Red Garden {COMPLETE}
5. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni {COMPLETE}
6. NHK ni Youkoso {COMPLETE}

Shows Already Had / GGP Watchalong

1. Witch Hunter Robin {COMPLETE}
2. Gilgamesh {COMPLETE}
3. Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory {COMPLETE}
4. Real Drive {COMPLETE}
5. Victory Gundam {COMPLETE}
6. SDF Macross {COMPLETE}
7. El Cazador de la Bruja {10/26}
Red Garden - I really enjoyed this. While there's a strong horror tone at the start, and a sort of undercurrent of existential horror, the most and best of this show is just in how it follows a group of loosely connected girls as they bond over the lovely zombie-fighting war they're enlisted in, and how it chafes against their daily highschool life. The performance and tone of it is very down to earth, naturalistic, if you discount all the curse/zombie stuff I guess. That's probably the weaker part at least when it comes to the end, since the whole conflict turns out to be some millennia old warring family stuff that only matters to the protagonists in the sense that their lives hinge on it. The music for this was really good, and while they ditched the musical aspects eventually, it was an interesting early conceit. Visually, this show has a great style. Distinct noses and other facial features, textured hair, and a focus on varied fashion, but it looks fairly unique among anime. Wish more stuff looked like it tbh. Very good watch for Fall, even if it ends on a Spring-ish note.

NHK ni Youkoso - I always heard really good stuff about this when it was newer, and while I can certainly agree it reaches a point that has merit eventually, all the otaku aspects were largely unfunny and offputting, especially with how frontloaded it was. There's also just a particular thing I dislike wrt the VN stuff, where sitting through characters' delusions of grandeur is not a thing I enjoy (see: the class in Barry). There's eventually a more measured tone to the VN stuff which I vastly prefer, where it seems they're making it more for self-fulfillment than to buy into the delusion of success. Anyway, eventually the show hits the MLM arc and starts getting some emotional poignancy, basically from then on I enjoyed the show and relationships greatly. Glad everyone found their version of a happy ending, and Misaki made me cry like a baby for more than one episode, poor girl. The SHAFT-isms in some of the show were a nice extra, but otherwise it's a pretty modest production.

Real Drive - Quintessential mid 00's anime, brimming with ambition that doesn't quite stick its landing. As a show that is mostly episodic, the rather lackluster serialized elements that emerge to conclude the series at the end don't affect the overall quality of the show much, but they are the one most obvious failing. Otherwise, RD brings a unique seaside/island setting to its explorations of human relationships to each other and various other things (food, pets, nature, disability etc) through technology. While standalone episodes that focus on the technological side of the setting are great, some of my favorites were decidedly low tech. Haru's flashback to his impoverished youth and how he came to love diving, Minamo finding a mysterious physical book and discovering the truth of a love story connected to it, and the shared past that strained the relationship between Kushima and a violinist. Soundtrack and animation were both great as well, it's certainly a show I'd recommend.

Victory Gundam - The "bad" Gundam that's actually good? I'm still honestly baffled by this one, half because I will probably never know what was going on with fandom as it aired in Japan to account for the cold reception there, half because the lack of any real reappraisal in Western fandom. Suffice it to say for all its flaws when it comes to writing female characters, nothing seems particularly more or less egregious when compared to the wider scope of the franchise. For that reason, I find it easy enough to enjoy the show for Uso and co's struggles/hijinks. It's a great cast of kid characters, eventually joined by Marbet when she's freed from her weird love triangle thing. Katejina and Fuala are both fun villains, while the later focus on Zanscare's internal strife is entertaining to watch play out, especially with Cronicle Asher as the world's dumbest man to be positioned as a Char. As a Tomino show it's generally at a high level when it comes to dynamic fight choreography, but the expendable nature of the Victory Gundams in this make for some absolute wild strategies on top of Zanscare having one of the best villain aesthetics in the wider franchise. On a wider scale, it's not a positive show, but getting a happy-ish ending for the characters who survive is enough for me.

Macross - I've kinda talked this one out a lot over the time I watched and then finished it, so there are definitely posts here and in the discord that have mostly exhausted my feelings on it. This was a great 26 or so episodes of a mecha series unlike what I had seen before then. Characters felt a bit more human, and had so much focus relative to the greater conflict. Unfortunately the rushed second arc focuses too much on love triangle bs that exacerbates the bits of sexist writing that was ignorable enough in the first half, and wastes its interesting premise of postwar integration to then conclude with some "colonialism, yay!" junk after you've grown to hate every character you used to love. As time goes on, I'm sure I'll choose more and more to forget and ignore the second arc in favor of the first.

For all intents and purposes this means my toxx is done once I finish CazaBru, weird feeling though. I'll keep recording any other stuff I finish in the next couple months. Should finish Patlabor before the year is out for sure, and I can reappraise that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

glad you enjoyed red garden and real drive :cheers:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Finished Showa Renroku Rakugo Shinjuu S1. Was pretty good, but I spread it out over way too long so I feel like I missed some stuff over the months. Looking forward to S2 though, that everyone loves.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The toxx is going poorly

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Namtab posted:

The toxx is going poorly

Have you started Fate/Stay Night yet?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Have you started Fate/Stay Night yet?

Im on heavens feel

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Godspeed, you redasurc depac.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 8, 2019

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I am not going to complete my toxx. Strike me down to free me from the self imposed chains of apathy I have inflicted upon myself. For I am a being that will dwell in existential ennui and spend hours thinking about the lost futures of humanity when I put myself under obligation to watch things. Hoisted by my own bravado under an economic system that commodities all free time.

I will return.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You know what, I finished 11/35 anims this year so there is a 0% chance of success. Taking my licks now means i can be back in time to prepare next year's thread

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

littleorv posted:

I am not going to complete my toxx. Strike me down to free me from the self imposed chains of apathy I have inflicted upon myself. For I am a being that will dwell in existential ennui and spend hours thinking about the lost futures of humanity when I put myself under obligation to watch things. Hoisted by my own bravado under an economic system that commodities all free time.

I will return.

I think you need to stop reading so much Mark Fisher

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I知 going to 100% make my toxx as long as I知 allowed to weasel my way through my video games clause

The official gintama count is 129 eps left with 40 days to go, an easy breezy 3.225 eps a day

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I think you need to stop reading so much Mark Fisher

It痴 easier for me to imagine the end of the world than an end to my toxx.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

littleorv posted:

I will return.

commodifies*

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

im halfway through symphogears, halfway through the gundams, and halfway through fsn
im 11/12 out of the way through the year

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Erg posted:

I知 going to 100% make my toxx as long as I知 allowed to weasel my way through my video games clause

The official gintama count is 129 eps left with 40 days to go, an easy breezy 3.225 eps a day

No weaselling!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I promise I will finish the main story of 5 JRPGs that I started by the end of this year

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Orv finished the good shows on his list, I知 proud

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hell no he didnt

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Davincie posted:

hell no he didnt

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I did 6(?) of the shows on my list so I知 respectfully asking for some clemency to not ban me but just probate me for 30 days. Save me the 50 Canadian dollars after conversion.

I understand if everyone wants blood though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I didn稚 like guru guru

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gonna make the 2020 resolution thread a day before namtabs probation expires just to spite him

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

pls ban and probate me too tia

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

You know what they say-if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

For 2019 I'm going to finish watching all of the shows that I was planning to watch in 2018:
  • Chihayafuru (season 1 and 2)
  • March Comes In Like A Lion (season 1 and 2)
  • Sabagebu
  • Yuruyuri (just the 3 tv seasons, no OVAs)
  • Kyousougiga (the TV Series)

In addition, I'll buy an SA Forum Av/Upgrade for the first person who has already posted in this thread before this post to complete their 2019 toxx AND for the first person to quote this post and make a toxx resolution. :toxx:

Status update: Halfway through Chihayafuru (which has been excellent so far) and completed Sabagebu, which had a fun set-up, but the show quickly lost steam, resorting to repeating the same gags over and over again, and was consistently hampered by what felt like a cheap production with not so great directing, considering all the awful cg, constant reuse of footage, and plenty of still shots/slide shows throughout. Also bold of them to dedicate the first half of an episode to advertise joining the Japanese Hunter's Association. Overall 5/10.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

sinky posted:

2019 is the year I will watch:
Card Captor Sakura
At least 1 season of Symphogear

I've watched the first season of Symphogear. I wasn't a fan. Not liking the songs probably didn't help :v:
I have not accepted Hibiki into my heart :(

Still got some of CCS to go but will finish it over christmas.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Further update: Finished watching all the Yuru Yuris. A lovely comedy, definitely a step up from Sabagebu. Even when the show switched studios from Doga Kobo to TYO Animation in Season 3, it still worked as a slower paced, more-character focused comedy. Overall I give s1 a 7/10, s2 a 5/10, and s3 a 7/10.

Next up-I finally binge March Comes in Like A Lion.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I might have owned myself into not finishing Rakugo S2 because I got Disco Elysium and it's so good :negative:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm down to the last two seasons (26 eps) of Gintama so things are going swimmingly

For my "finish 5 JRPGs" challenge I decided to fudge and count things that I started this year, if the tribunal deems this cowardice I will accept

So far finished:
Dragon Quest 11
Pokemon X
Disgaea 5 (I'm pretty sure that was this year at least)

TODO:
Disgaea 4 has 3 maps left
Pokemon Sword 4/8 badges, idk how much main game is left after that

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Erg posted:

I'm down to the last two seasons (26 eps) of Gintama so things are going swimmingly

For my "finish 5 JRPGs" challenge I decided to fudge and count things that I started this year, if the tribunal deems this cowardice I will accept

So far finished:
Dragon Quest 11
Pokemon X
Disgaea 5 (I'm pretty sure that was this year at least)

TODO:
Disgaea 4 has 3 maps left
Pokemon Sword 4/8 badges, idk how much main game is left after that

You can easily finish sword in like 4-6 hours, it's not a long game.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, the walk from the fourth to fifth gym being about 10 minutes if you ignore the Bede fight made me laugh

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's time to review this year's toxxes (nobody entered a non-toxx resolution)

quote:

Namtab: Finish an arbitrary amount of anime. Finish Fate Stay/Night (Outcome: Failed to watch enough anime, ate my toxx - will probably finish the VN though)

The colonel: Finish Fate Hollow Ataraxia (Outcome: Completed)

Everythingwasbees: Finish Vanguard, start vanguard G. Post 2 3D models they are happy with. Finish the symphogears (Outcome: Proposed an alternative in April, failed to achieve goal, 12 days remaining on probation)

Davincie: Watch 5-10 shows other people recommend (Outcome: Completed)

Gorfzaplan: Finish a season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Euphonium, Land of the Lustrous, Real Drive, 6 Kara no kyoukai movies, also finish kaiji (Outcome: 4 eps of euphonium left)

The Mod: Finish the 8/9 anims on his crunchyroll queue (Outcome: Appears ongoing, in June he had 163 episodes of anime left to watch)

Droyer: Finish the brave shows and as much of the GGG novel as has been translated (outcome: Completed)

Disx3: 1-ALL Ketsui (Outcome: Post in august indicated that it had been failed. Has yet to eat toxxequences)

Everything Burrito: Watch Yuri on Ice and the Classmates movie (Outcome: Ongoing)

Anohito: Watch at least one cour of anime from sometime before the current season every week (outcome: Ongoing)

Lunar Detritus: Watch the top 5 shows in AOTY 2018 that they hadn't already seen. (outcome: Ongoing)

erg: Watch Gintama (TV), 3 gundam movies, D-Frag, Samurai Flamenco, Play the story of 5 JRPGs. (Outcome: 2 seasons of gintama left, 3 maps is disgaea 4, idk how much polsmon sword)

Sefai: Watch all Turn A Gundam (TV), Play Fate Hollow Ataraxia (Outcome: Ongoing)

Julias: Watch Chihayafuru seasons 1-2, March goes on Like a Lion seasons 1-2, Sabagebu, Yuruyuri seasons 1-3, Kyousougiga (TV) (Outcome: Last they posted there was some stuff left to do)

Ibblebibble: Finish Ninja Slayer, Inou Battle, Railgun S2, AssClass, Fujiko Mina, March Lion, Rakugo, NagiAsu (Outcome: Dropped March Lion and NagiAsu so we'll need a judgement call. Not finished Rakugo left)

Chiasaur: Watch TTGL and Eva (Outcome: Completed)

Yes Cantaloupe: Scanlate a douj for their fave non LL idols (7 of them), also beat BoTW and an atelier game. Watch vifam(Outcome: ongoing - done the doujs, behind on games, still watching vifam)

Lorv: Watch 10 suggested anims (Outcome: Failed, ate toxx ban)

Sinky: Watch Card Captor Sakura, 1 season of Symphogear (Outcome: Ongoing, finished Symphogear)

Dogsicle: Watch 6 pre-picked shows and a futher 6 or 9 things. Watch along with GGP. (Outcome: Has El Cazador de ld Bruja left, no idea on GGP)

Squark: Watch 10 anime (Outcome: Looks like there's 3 left)

El dorito: 3 ep test their Crunchyroll backlog (Outcome: No further posts)

Foxhound: Keep up with Jojo, Keep up with MHA manga, Keep up with The ancient Magus' bride, Finish 5 volumes of Oregairu, 5 volumes of Konosuba, Finish Nier Automata, Finish main plot of Dragon's crown, Finish main story of Ni No Kuni 2, Read more Dredd. (Outcome: No further posts)

Srice: Read 6 books (Outcome: Read 1 book)

You have until the end of the year

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm on track to finish by the end of the year-will finish march tonight, then chihayafuru and kyousougiga in the next few days. Thanks for the update.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rakugo should be finished tonight, think I'll have to drop Inou Battle. I'm fine with eating a penalty for the drops.

Man, getting employed was not great for my anime consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I should probably whip up some "trip reports/review" posts, for I'm done with pretty much everything except for Kamisama Kiss because of personal reasons.