Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I ask this thread for their trainer cards. I want to collect goon cards

I second the request, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Gen 4's the one generation I'd put under 7 so you'll get no complaints from me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kirios posted:

It's a bad, bad JRPG plot told in a very poor way. It's hard for me to take it seriously at all. I dare you to try to replay those games, it is an absolute cutscene hell of a game.

Z-Moves sucked, the meta being so terrain dominated sucked, the dirtiest sucked, the trials sucked. Slow, boring, meandering game that I only finished because it had the Pokemon name on it and I regret doing that.

Nah the character arcs that make up .the majority of the plot are all really good I literally replayed both sun and u moon leading up to swsh release.and it's no worse than any other pokemon game. Like I said SwSh is absolutely worse about cutscenes. The poo poo around the cave right before he fire gym where you have a cutscene you take 2 steps then another and then it does that 3 times after.the gym itself is basically SwShs pacing in a nutshell. It's way worse than Sun Moon on that front.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

GenericGirlName posted:

They also added an item that gives immunity to all hazards :eyepop:

I'm genuinely curious to see how much usage the boots actually get in competitive. My gut feeling is that in general it won't be worth spending your item slot on them for mons that are only 2x weak to rock, and a lot of the potentially viable things with 4x weaknesses didn't make the jump to Galar. Obviously there's Charizard, but Zard with no megas is honestly kind of unremarkable, and I'm doubtful its gigantamax will be able to make up the difference. Otherwise, you've got:

Butterfree: I don't really see g-max Butterfree taking off, unfortunately
Delibird: lol
Ninjask: Already dies if you look at it funny, rocks or no rocks, and wearing boots means you don't have focus sash
Vespiquen: Maybe run a weird tanky set once home comes out and you can transfer up one with roost?
Centiskorch+Frosmoth: Both setup sweepers that would probably actually want to run the boots, it's just a matter of how much play they get. Centiskorch's g-max move and Frosmoth's HA give both of them theoretically viable gameplans to start setting up despite their poor speed and defensive shortcomings, but I dunno if it'll be enough.

Fake edit: Oh God I typed all these :words: up on my phone and now the conversation has completely moved on. Oh well, I'm certainly not letting all this effort go to waste.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It's so weird to me that Sword and Shield are so focused narratively around the gym challenge and basically none of the gym leaders are characters you interact with outside of their individual gym except like....Opal. If you wanted to make the plot about that you could have spent the time writing some character bits for them in the main story at least.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I personally found Hop, Bede and Marnie's character arcs far more interesting and fleshed out than anyone from Sun/Moon outside of Lillie. I really dig the sports aesthetics of Sword/Shield and how grounded the plot is. It just felt like the games were getting more and more ridiculous with stuff like immortal giants and everything about Ultra Space. The gyms and the Wild Area alone in this game are better than anything Sun/Moon offered, despite its shortcomings.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
I think I just lost my soothe bell by doing the in-game trade (duralumin for my frosmoth). I used the soothe bell on my snom to evolve him and forgot to take it off before tradings. My game auto saved. Is there anything I can do to get another soothe bell? Am I just screwed? They should auto unequip items on the in game trades :(

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 22, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kirios posted:

I personally found Hop, Bede and Marnie's character arcs far more interesting and fleshed out than anyone from Sun/Moon outside of Lillie. I really dig the sports aesthetics of Sword/Shield and how grounded the plot is. It just felt like the games were getting more and more ridiculous with stuff like immortal giants and everything about Ultra Space. The gyms and the Wild Area alone in this game are better than anything Sun/Moon offered, despite its shortcomings.

The plot is less grounded in the end than base sun moon which was just "A weird pokemon made my depressed mom even more depressed and I gotta grow up and help her move on". Like even the villains arc.was "Hey society left us behind and the one person that helped us is gone so we're just all disillusioned youth what if you just like...helped us out at all?". Its some of the most grounded poo poo in the franchise lol

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Heavy-Duty Boots mostly seems good on bulky spinners who would get crippled by the hazards they're trying to clear. Avalugg sticks out to me as a prime candidate for them, since he gets owned by spikes, toxic spikes AND stealth rock.

Mostly the problem is that you need some form of recovery to really make them work, because otherwise you might as well run a spinner that's less destroyed by hazards. (I think Forretress got dexited but there's probably a better candidate.)

coalossal feels like the other best option.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 22, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Saying this while praising SwSh is absolutely baffling. There have been at least a dozen times where a cutscene would start in Sword be a long convo that ends with another character waving you over to a spot 6 geet away where another cutscene starts. Its legit been the worst pokemon game with that stopping and starting to so exposition/talk at you. To the point that when plot things happen off screen you talk to people who then leave you to do the interesting bits off screen

Where did I ever praise SwSh's story? The fact that it almost entirely lacks any substance in that department is completely fine with me because I don't feel bad at all about just buttonmashing through it because it's dumb anyway.

I suppose I spend enough time actually exploring SwSh instead of hateblasting through it like so many people that these interruptions don't feel quite as prominent to me.

(I still wish Hop was just not in the game. He adds absolutely nothing to it except a "rival" role that could have been better served by giving Bede and Marnie more spotlight. Bede's an rear end in a top hat and I like roughing him up! Marnie's probably one of the best "nice" rivals in the entire series and yet she shows up so rarely. Hop is just... pathetic.)

The issue to me is that S/M's exposition is as long as it is boring. If SwSh tried to force a plot as hard as it did then maybe I'd be more irritated about it but I'm just not.

I do really like Lillie though. She's a neat character.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 22, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sunmoon was a big letdown to me coming off oras

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

sunmoon was a big letdown to me coming off oras

100% agree. oras is my favorite pokemon game of all.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lillie was the best rival/friend character in the series tho

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Before release I thought dynamax and the sports league theme were both lame, but when you pair those together and add in that competitive match music, I dig it. Especially how the crowd chanting in the song always timed itself with my dynamax that I saved for the last Pokémon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like both Sword and Moon. They are currently my favorite Pokemon games because they don't have HMs and I always hated that poo poo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Super No Vacancy posted:

lillie was the best rival/friend character in the series tho

this, unironically

just because I don't sing high praises for s/m doesn't mean I rank it low-- I have plenty of reasons to enjoy it!

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Truecon420 posted:

I think I just lost my soothe bell by doing the in-game trade (duralumin for my frosmoth). I used the soothe bell on my snom to evolve him and forgot to take it off before tradings. My game auto saved. Is there anything I can do to get another soothe bell? Am I just screwed? They should auto unequip items on the in game trades :(

Can anyone advise on this :( I think I lost my friendship bell :(

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Sun and moon and it's expansion are probably my favorite games with ORAS and Gen 5, it's the only game where I actually completed the pokedex and loved all the characters. Coming off that going into Sword where Hop is awful and the gym leaders barely do anything or talk is really disappointing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I never finished ORAS because I hate Hoenn and I loved Ultra Moon and Alola is far and away my favorite region

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Is US/UM a continuation of S/M or is it just the definitive edition of it? Maybe I'd find more favor in it then. Kinda like how people say Platinum was really good, but I only played Pearl so Gen 4 is my least favorite.

Blockhouse posted:

I never finished ORAS because I hate Hoenn and I loved Ultra Moon and Alola is far and away my favorite region

I like Hoenn. I just got really tired of the GBA soundtrack. Horns. So many horns.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

It's the best gen overall and sun/moon are close to B/W in quality. The story has like 2 plots going at once and is still a game for literal babies so calling it convoluted is just weird. The UBs are all amazing and the rest of the new pokes are all top tier designs. The cast is probably the best overall and Team Skull are perfect idiot children and Guzma is My Boy.

Yeah you summed up my feelings about it quite nicely. Although ORAS is always going to be my personal favorite.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 22, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Framboise posted:

Where did I ever praise SwSh's story? The fact that it almost entirely lacks any substance in that department is completely fine with me because I don't feel bad at all about just buttonmashing through it because it's dumb anyway.

I suppose I spend enough time actually exploring SwSh instead of hateblasting through it like so many people that these interruptions don't feel quite as prominent to me.

(I still wish Hop was just not in the game. He adds absolutely nothing to it except a "rival" role that could have been better served by giving Bede and Marnie more spotlight. Bede's an rear end in a top hat and I like roughing him up! Marnie's probably the best "nice" rival in the entire series and yet she shows up so rarely. Hop is just... pathetic.)

The issue to me is that S/M's exposition is as long as it is boring. If SwSh tried to force a plot as hard as it did then maybe I'd be more irritated about it but I'm just not.

I do really like Lillie though. She's a neat character.

Lmao I haven't been hate blasting through it I've spent like 75% of my time in the WA goofing around. My point is when you actually try to go through the story the pacing is even more jank than Gen 6 or 7's poo poo. Which is why I think it's weird that if your problem is the pacing then I dunno how you didn't get stopped trying to progress in this one. It's why I've spent so much time in the WA and just grinding candies to fill the dex out cause every time I get back to the story it just felt like pulling teeth. It doesn't help that I'm constantly over-leveled even with pokes I've not used candies so everything's just feels like its a time waste.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 22, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Hate" is maybe too harsh but the way Hoenn just jerks you around all over the region in the early game with one-way trips and constant silly path blockers always kept me from being engaged and playing too far in.

I also feel like the region never really established an identity beyond "the one with all the water"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Framboise posted:

Is US/UM a continuation of S/M or is it just the definitive edition of it? Maybe I'd find more favor in it then. Kinda like how people say Platinum was really good, but I only played Pearl so Gen 4 is my least favorite.

It's an extension of that quickly breaks off into it's own narrative so it's niether a continuation nor a definitive edition. It's weird.

Also Lillie and Guzma are good but Cheren and Bianca are the best of all time in that they managed to feel like actual friends and not like...the stepford wives weirdoes from gen 6.

Honorable mention goes to Barry (Platinum Version)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Plotwise I really liked Sun and Moon but hated UsUMo. Lusamine was a far more interesting villain than...Necrozma? Can Necrozma even be called a villain?

Gameplaywise, I didn't care about Z-moves at all and saw them as a step backwards from Mega Evolution. Dina/Gigantamax is a nice inbetween.

The gen 7 poke designs were really good but competitivewise it was a disaster and skewed towards the Tapus, UBs and 2 or 3 mons with some VGC utility.

Better than Gen 6, but that's not saying much considering XY and ORAS were quite dissapointing, mechanics aside.

What baffles me is that Gen 7 had a lot of really good QoL improvements like the Egg hatching or Berry islands and a similar function was not carried over to gen 8.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
lillie is definitely the one part of sun and moon that makes me want to actually give it another shot at some point. i don't think she's as compelling as N, but she's a strong contender for second place as far as pokemon characters who are actual characters go. actually gently caress cheren and bianca are also really good, to the point where the only good parts of bw2 are seeing what happened to them. definitely top 5 at any rate

my pokemon plot tier list:

b/w -----> platinum -> RSE -> s/m --> rby -> gsc ---> bw2 -> xy

i think it's unfair to rate swsh without actually playing them but i imagine i'd put them just under s/m.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 22, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Apparently Hector, my Sirfetch'd, is scared of Skoll, my Boltund.

Either Hector forgot he's not a flying type, or he knows Skoll has Psychic Fangs. >_>

(maybe if I taught him a ground move, he'd feel better?)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ungulateman posted:

lillie is definitely the one part of sun and moon that makes me want to actually give it another shot at some point. i don't think she's as compelling as N, but she's a strong contender for second place as far as pokemon characters who are actual characters go.

i think it's unfair to rate swsh without actually playing them but i imagine i'd put them just under s/m.

I Feel like....if they make a third version for the first time in like...4 gens SwSh could end up really like up there with Platinum story wise and design wise but it's weirdly half baked in a lot of ways that XY and Diamond/Pearl were and at this point I worry we're just gonna get Shinnoh remakes next year and a lot of this potentials gonna go to waste.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Lmao I haven't been hate blasting through it I've spent like 75% of my time in the WA goofing around. My point is when you actually try to go throug hthe story the pacing is even more jank than Gen 6 or 7's poo poo. Which is why I think it's weird that if you're problem is the pacing then I dunno how you didn't get stopped trying to progress in this one. It's why I've spent so much time in the WA and just grinding candies to fill the dex out cause every time I get back to the story it just felt like pulling teeth. It doesn't help that I'm constantly over-leveled even with pokes I've not used candies so everything's just feels like its a time waste.

I've said before that SwSh's pacing isn't good. It's just that the story has given me no reason to give a drat about it so skipping over the cutscenes is just a big shrug to me.

In S/M I feel like the story is so forward and prominent that I feel like I should be paying attention and caring and I just kinda... don't. I think the pacing is fine, it's just that the story doesn't interest me and it got to the point where I was pushing through it just to push through it and it makes me feel bad, I guess. That's why I felt like SwSh's lack of depth is almost a boon for me because it's so simple that I can be all "uh-huh. Yep. Got it. Bye!" and move on.

If you're under some weird impression that I don't like S/M just because it's not my #1 you're pretty mistaken. There's a lot I like about it! I want to finish it! But I'll come back to it and finish it when I feel more patient and maybe look into US/UM afterward.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Has anyone figured out what makes Pokemon fight during camp outs?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Framboise posted:

I've said before that SwSh's pacing isn't good. It's just that the story has given me no reason to give a drat about it so skipping over the cutscenes is just a big shrug to me.

In S/M I feel like the story is so forward and prominent that I feel like I should be paying attention and caring and I just kinda... don't. I think the pacing is fine, it's just that the story doesn't interest me and it got to the point where I was pushing through it just to push through it and it makes me feel bad, I guess. That's why I felt like SwSh's lack of depth is almost a boon for me because it's so simple that I can be all "uh-huh. Yep. Got it. Bye!" and move on.

If you're under some weird impression that I don't like S/M just because it's not my #1 you're pretty mistaken. There's a lot I like about it! I want to finish it! But I'll come back to it and finish it when I feel more patient and maybe look into US/UM afterward.

I mean I don't think the story is any less prominent in SwSh it's just got a lot less depth to it even for a pokemon game. Like you're constantly being stopped for Sonia or Leon to stop and talk about "Hey big plot poo poo happening. Yup this is very important follow me 6 steps to start the next chunk of cutscenes about this!" Like they're clearly trying to do something. It''s just what they're doing is "WOAH WHAT'S THIS BIG MYSTERY ABOUT THAT BIG DOG YOU FOUND AND THE KINGS OF OLD? I FOUND 1 NEW CLUE I'LL SEE YOU IN 10 MINUTES AFTER THE GYM TO TALK ABOUT THE NEXT NEW CLUE" over and over interspersed with "Bede is weird about the chairman who doesn't really seem to give a poo poo about him and also the Chairman dresses like a hangover divorcee going to CVS to buy a big box of twizzlers and a 6 pack." every other gym. It's not any less forward pushed than S/M it's just much worse writing.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I just haven't found it as tedious as you and should feel fortunate.

But I guess I just feel less fortunate because I'm not jazzed about SM's plot. I wish I was more into it-- it's the only main-series Pokemon game I haven't finished. Maybe I'll poke my head into it after finishing SwSh and my Pokemon energy is still high and try to finish it off.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The worst of these asides was Opal walking me to Hammertown and then me walking from the pokecenter to the next street and her starting a big cutscene about Bede then Going 1 more street over to talk to Sonia and leon who go off to investigate the big mysterious explosion and in the background of that cutscene you can see Hop waving you down for another one just down the road,

At least in S/M there'd be a funny goof about Team Skull stealing a bus stop sign so that the buses would come to their town.

Also Sonia is the worst Professor/Assistant in the franchise she's just a blank slate that goes "Hmmm interesting. This tapestry seems to have a picture on it." Even the fascist sympathizer had an air of charm about him.

Bring Back Juniper she was the best.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 22, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've just received my fourth badge and so far this game is... pretty anemic. Quick jog to the next town, talk to the gym leader, fight the gym leader, quick backtrack, quick hop to the next town, fight the gym leader

and then the plot is...
HEY GO OVER THERE AND CHECK OUT THE ARCHIVES
HELLO I AM LEON I DON'T REMEMBER WHERE THE ARCHIVES ARE SEE YOU LATER
hey welcome to the archives. look at these tapestries. alright get the gently caress out and GO OVER THERE AND TALK TO SOMEBODY ELSE NOW

Like it feels like plot should be happening but I'm just getting two lines of dialogue and then a peace out

Also I hate the canonization of "You have to face the gyms in this exact order that's how it works"
I always liked the way the anime treated it (or maybe it was the 20th anniversary special?) of like,
you roll up to a gym, the leader sees you have x badges so he uses y amount of pokemon
And like, Gary Oak rolling up with 12 badges when Ash has 3 fuckin owns

This game is weird.

Carkoal is my friend.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Implementing level scaling into pokemon is simultaneously an impossible tall order but also absolutely a thing that would be a defining feature of its region and fondly regarded forever, probably

[glares at chuck, jasmine and pryce]

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

The worst of these asides was Opal walking me to Hammertown and then me walking from the pokecenter to the next street and her starting a big cutscene about Bede then Going 1 more street over to talk to Sonia and leon who go off to investigate the big mysterious explosion and in the background of that cutscene you can see Hop waving you down for another one just down the road,

Yeah, that's a part that I did find kind of grating. I actually greatly enjoyed the Opal/Bede scene but the Sonia/Leon scene was stupid. "There's something happening! Quick, you go do something else while I handle it." Cool man, more exploring for me I gue-- oh I need to smear Hop across the bridge ok

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Framboise posted:

Yeah, that's a part that I did find kind of grating. I actually greatly enjoyed the Opal/Bede scene but the Sonia/Leon scene was stupid. "There's something happening! Quick, you go do something else while I handle it." Cool man, more exploring for me I gue-- oh I need to smear Hop across the bridge ok

And that's just been like....every gym past the third. You just swap hop and bede battles and the exact same pattern of Cutsceene spam leading into fighting one of them then you do it all again the second you hit a new gym. I think I've seen Marnie like 3 times total in the game and yet I've fought Hop 1000 times. Like if she and hop talked ever or maybe bede and her interacted I could forgive the spam a bit more cause then like "Oh we're a weirdo team of rivals" but it's mostly just you being constantly harassed by people who just kind of do nothin.

Like the gyms are mostly fun and the WA owns and the new pokes are cute but everything between them (what little there is) just kind of feels like filler or barely written.

Maybe I'm just extra disappointed because this is explicitly pokemon as a sports analog and it's the most boring Sports Anime I've ever seen. Even with the giant monsters it feels so...flaccid.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 22, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There is a criminal lack of Marnie in this game in general. :hai:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ungulateman posted:

I'd put swsh either under rby and maaaaaaaaaaybe gsc (gsc narratively would be a lot stronger if act 2 had anything going on at all). the premise of it could have been interesting but the pacing was atrocious. It's as if in Lord of the Rings Frodo spent 2 and a half books having a fun vacation across the middle-earth with the ocassional town folk telling him about a very evil wizard that did bad things a long time ago but nothing really happens in the present till the last 10 pages when Sauron pops in and is promptly defeated in order to resume your vacation.

I mean, yeah I get it, it's Pokemon, but I think it can do a bit better or at least have a bit of fun while at it. ORAS was inferior to emerald narratively but it had you ride a frigging dragon into space to go fisticuff with an alien, which to me is top Pokemon game moment right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Framboise posted:

I actually prefer US/UM, if what bothered you about S/M were the droning on cut scenes US/UM tones it down... somewhat. Like how s/m made you sit through like an half an hour festival before you even get your pokemon, us/um just hands it to you pretty much right away and lets you start catching more.

Plot wise instead of Lusamine is bad, Lilie does character development in s/m, us/um does the more typical "legendary pokemon needs to be stopped" thing once again. It's nothing amazing but I found it an improvement because a/ stuff happens /b the PC matters in the new one.