Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Ok the Bam-Bam and Saturn stories were really sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Was waiting to catch the first overt racism in these Memphis videos and

"I hate Orientals"

-Jimmy Hart

I knew Memphis had a rep, but godamn.

Oh and there's Joe Leduc slinging the F slur.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 22, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Which tag teams had equally good members?

It's like, I've heard Dynamite was way better than Davey, I know Bret was way better than Jim, Shawn was way better than Marty and right now I'm listening to Retro Nitros where Vinny said Robert Gibson and Scotty Riggs were the lesser halves of their tag teams.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’d say the New Age Outlaws were good at different things and each hid the other’s weaknesses pretty well

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

It's like, I've heard Dynamite was way better than Davey, I know Bret was way better than Jim, Shawn was way better than Marty and right now I'm listening to Retro Nitros where Vinny said Robert Gibson and Scotty Riggs were the lesser halves of their tag teams.

Public Enemy

Wait are we counting members who sucked just as bad as each other

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The Shield. Each member complemented the other and it’s no surprise they all seemed like lesser versions of themselves when they disbanded.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I thought Edge and Christian were both pretty equal. That is if we're talking skills and not the heights they reached.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Bobby Eaton and Dennis Condrey? They were both terrific. Arn and Tully too. Bobby Eaton and Steve Regal.

Maybe Doug Furnas and Phil Lafon? I think Road Warrios were kind of both not great.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

TheKingslayer posted:

So I got into a couple episodes of CWA and my personal takes so far.

Jimmy Hart is the only good promo I've seen.

Tons of ugly guys on the roster.

Also a poo poo load of masked wrestlers. Not luchas or anything, just dudes in masks. I'm guessing this was pretty common in the territory days or just in the Mid-South territories?

All over. It makes sense, have a guy in the first match play a different masked character in the fourth match and put him in the main event Battle Royal. You got three wrestlers for the price of one !
It made everybodies rosters look bigger.

NikkolasKing posted:

You could probably rephrase this as "what tag teams never head a break-out star." Road Warriors, Bushwackers, Demolition*. Though there are a few where both members of a team went on to have similar careers, i.e. solid midcarters, like Strike Force or Powers of Pain.

*The original two, you could say Crush had a more noteworthy career after Demolition.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Bad Wolf posted:

All over. It makes sense, have a guy in the first match play a different masked character in the fourth match and put him in the main event Battle Royal. You got three wrestlers for the price of one !
It made everybodies rosters look bigger.

You could probably rephrase this as "what tag teams never head a break-out star." Road Warriors, Bushwackers, Demolition*. Though there are a few where both members of a team went on to have similar careers, i.e. solid midcarters, like Strike Force or Powers of Pain.

*The original two, you could say Crush had a more noteworthy career after Demolition.

I thought about Strike Force but Rick Martel was an AWA champion back when that meant something. After he got stuck in the tag scene and midcard in WWF, but that was possibly more to do with Vince not seeing a a main eventer than him not having the potential.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Overall, though, Masked Superstar was a much bigger star than Crush

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

Von Linus posted:

I thought about Strike Force but Rick Martel was an AWA champion back when that meant something. After he got stuck in the tag scene and midcard in WWF, but that was possibly more to do with Vince not seeing a a main eventer than him not having the potential.

Yeah, there were two or three times he came very, very close to becoming the Intercontinental Champion, but always just missed out, like Charlie Brown and the football. He should have had at least one IC run.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Misawa and Kobashi were both pretty good

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheKingslayer posted:

Was waiting to catch the first overt racism in these Memphis videos and

"I hate Orientals"

-Jimmy Hart

I knew Memphis had a rep, but godamn.

Oh and there's Joe Leduc slinging the F slur.

I can't remember to whom it was said, but I saw one ep where Lawler also tossed out the F slur.

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend

Davros1 posted:

I can't remember to whom it was said, but I saw one ep where Lawler also tossed out the F slur.

I remember Lawler calling Goldust that on Raw

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It was even more upsetting because Joe Leduc was being hateful AND attacking The Fabulous Ones and I'm just not ok with either of those.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Bad Wolf posted:

How loving dare you?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

What tag team had the biggest disparity in talent? And proper tag teams only don’t just say Okada and Yoshi Hashi

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CombineThresher posted:

Saturn also had a YouShoot that's surprisingly great. He still has his goofy sense of humor, told some truly insane stories about what he got into with groupies in WCW, and was pretty honest about himself; his first reaction to watching the match where he beat the poo poo out of Mike Bell was "I was wrong, that's unprofessional."
I thought he said he was so loopy after getting dumped on his head that he didn't know where he was or what he was doing.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

jesus WEP posted:

What tag team had the biggest disparity in talent? And proper tag teams only don’t just say Okada and Yoshi Hashi

Harlem Heat

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jackie D posted:

Harlem Heat
that’s a good one

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jesus WEP posted:

Rick Steiner and Judy Bagwell. :colbert:

seriously though:

Arn Anderson and Paul Roma
Bobby Eaton and George Gulas
Rick Steiner with Bill Kazmeier
Rick Steiner and Kenny Kaos

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Braun Strowman and that kid he "randomly" picked from the audience.

I'd like to see you tell Braun that wasn't a real team :colbert:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Put some respect on Nicholas name. He's a tag champ, after all.

:colbert:

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
Are there any promotions with a particularly distinctive presentation style or gimmick that makes them different from WWE? For instance -:

I've seen several Gatoh Move videos where there's no ring ropes and posts, just a mat surrounded by the audience -:

TNA had the six sided ring -:

Lucha Underground had this bad-rear end arena

In the Beautiful Wrestling Cinematography and Photography thread, the op posted a link to a video from Riptide Wrestling. Would it be possible for AEW or WWE to record their live shows to look like this or is there a lot of post processing done to get that kind of film-like effect?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WswcvsHW8N4

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Young Bucks? They seem pretty evenly matched; their moveset is very similar.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Beyond Wrestling used to run in a bar with a giant brick wall on one side and I thought that, in addition to the very close and intimate feeling of everyone standing right next to the ring was pretty cool. The wall even came into play at least once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpBca70LMSI

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yokozuna and Owen Hart? I don't think I ever saw any of their matches, but I was always confused as to what Yoko would even be doing besides gasping for air.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think Lucha Bros is a good example. I think most would argue Fenix as better overall in-ring, but Pentagon wins on cool factor and both can stand on their own as singles stars.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Third question related to tag-teams: which tag team can have (or have had) the best member-versus-member match? I know both Best Friends and Lucha Brothers have had sick matches with each other. I hope someday before they retire we get the Bucks versus each other.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Third question related to tag-teams: which tag team can have (or have had) the best member-versus-member match? I know both Best Friends and Lucha Brothers have had sick matches with each other. I hope someday before they retire we get the Bucks versus each other.

The Rockers has some good matches against each other in 1993.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I always appreciated the beginning of that one Royal Rumble where Ax and Smash were the first two entrants, so they just shrugged and started beating the poo poo out of each other.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The Mega-Powers... EXPLODE.

Demolition... EXPLODES (Cona Crush vs. Repo Man, Summerslam '92, thanks OSW Review !) Happy now, Pope ?

Non-comedy answer, Ric Flair vs Arn Anderson ? Ohterwise probably The Shield.

Edit : And to bring it back to Strike Force, they never had their feud-ending match due to Martel getting injured at the time. They could have had some great matches against eachother ! Instead after Martel came back, we got a blindfold match against Jake The Snake, which was...yeah.

Bad Wolf fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 22, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Bad Wolf posted:

Happy now, Pope ?

Yes, thank you Mr. Wolf.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Beyond Wrestling used to run in a bar with a giant brick wall on one side and I thought that, in addition to the very close and intimate feeling of everyone standing right next to the ring was pretty cool. The wall even came into play at least once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpBca70LMSI
:vince:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

I wouldn't say Gibson and Morton were better than the other, each was just different and complimented each other really well. I think the thought in the 80s was that Gibson was more complete and could do better in singles. He clearly lacked something, as did Morton.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

It's unfair but life isn't fair:

Misawa and Kobashi.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's unfair but life isn't fair:

Misawa and Kobashi.

Yeah you win this one I think.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

How the gently caress was that not the finish to the match? I mean, seriously, absurd spots like that just scream out "Ya ain't gettin' up from this one."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I always appreciated the beginning of that one Royal Rumble where Ax and Smash were the first two entrants, so they just shrugged and started beating the poo poo out of each other.

Then as soon as someone else came out, Demolition beat the poo poo out of THEM. A real tag team, none of this "Will they?! Won't they?!" crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The Resistance Gallery is a cool venue that's similar to that one: fans on two sides of the ring with the "entrance" being a set of stairs from the balcony (the back bit curtained off as a make-shift locker room) down through the crowd; opposite the stairs is a wall with some piping that has I assume electrical cables in it (some promotions hang banners of it) while the fourth side is almost like a little elevated stage which generally is where the ring announcer sits with the bell and other important people tend to hang around: you've got a few comfy chairs there so its very much the VIP bit. People use the well semi-regularly: Shigehiro Irie basically ran Cara Noir head first into it at a Southside show Wrestle Queendom weekend and my friends that were there said it felt like a concentrated attempt to knock the wall down; it was that hard. Also had Nina Samuels and Charlie Morgan use the wall and the piping before; Gisele Shaw did a cool as poo poo dive off of the balcony into the ring and you had some... creative uses of the venue at the last SHE-1 show which featured a Gatoh Move offer match between Mei Suruga and Lulu Pencil. Trying to get some twitter stuff but annoyingly its all hard to find so instead just have this photo of Mei and Lulu hanging off of the balcony supports

https://twitter.com/oystersearrings/status/1194874694417158144