Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Mescal posted:

Well, the thing about strip clubs is you get to look at boobs

I have the internet. I don't need to go to a loud, smelly club to get drunk and look at attractive strangers I can't touch and who will never care about me, I can do that from the comfort of my own home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PubicMice posted:

I have the internet. I don't need to go to a loud, smelly club to get drunk and look at attractive strangers I can't touch and who will never care about me, I can do that from the comfort of my own home.

Look, seeing live theatre is high culture watching a movie at home is low culture.

Same with tits.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

The Bloop posted:

Look, seeing live theatre is high culture watching a movie at home is low culture.

Same with tits.

I've gone to live theater, and this definitely isn't true

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

If you don’t want to look like a bot, maybe make your own sign instead of holding up a commercially printed sign that duplicates others in the crowd? Just saying.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Paradise couple claims Camp Fire destroyed their $280 million emerald. PG&E wants proof

quote:

PG&E’s lawyers have requested proof — understandably, a whole lot of proof — after a married couple claimed the 2018 Camp Fire destroyed a massive $280 million emerald they’d been keeping in their Paradise home.

The so-called “Beleza Emerald” is described in court documents as a 500-pound “solid block of black schist and quartz with green crystals.” PG&E’s attorneys write that the alleged owners, in an insurance claim filed July 15 to Pacific Gas and Electric Co., say the state’s deadliest and most destructive wildfire in recorded history damaged or destroyed their precious gem as it sat in their home on Edgewood Lane in Paradise.

That item was among several termed “suspicious” by lawyers for PG&E and its debtors in a court filing last Friday, an effort to lower the estimate on its financial liability for the disaster. The beleaguered utility declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy earlier this year and remains entrenched in legal battles as it processes tens of thousands of insurance claims related to the devastating November 2018 Camp Fire, which killed 85 people and for which PG&E has been found liable.

In a letter to U.S. District Judge James Donato of the Northern District of California, attorneys for PG&E and its debtors allege that seven individual claimants have “collectively asserted over $350 million in damages,” coming from “duplicative and/or exceptionally large monetary claims, which appear suspicious.” The Beleza Emerald would make up about 80 percent of that figure.

Was a $280 million emerald destroyed in California wildfire? PG&E is dubious

quote:

The $280 million emerald would be remarkable, if it in fact existed. A list of top emeralds sold by Christie’s auction house maxes out at around $6 million. A nearly 800-pound emerald found in Brazil in 2017 was valued at about $309 million, according to a Forbes report. As comparison, the famed Hope diamond is valued between $250 million and $350 million.

It was unclear exactly how the couple claimed the emerald was destroyed. While the Camp fire burned hot enough to melt aluminum — which has a melting point of 1,221 degrees Fahrenheit — emeralds start to degrade at temperatures around 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit

A Google search found no record of a “Beleza Emerald.”

According to Realtor.com, the house in question was an 8-bedroom, 4,400-square-foot home in Paradise with an estimated value of $586,000 — raising further doubts that it contained a gem worth more than 477 times the price of the house.
Good luck with that one guys.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

They say you should go big or go home so it seems when your home burns down you have no choice but to go big.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s 2019.

If it’s brazen enough, that means that it is not illegal.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If PG&E were smart they'd be out there looking for the emerald so they could keep it for themselves instead of bickering with some random homeless guy. Idiots.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
...gently caress it, I'm gonna side with the scammers on this one. gently caress PG&E

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Where's that fourth drat chaos emerald

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

People can do whatever they want to opossums for 5 days in NC. Some want that changed
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article237510559.html

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

This made me go look up if gemstones can burn because I've never heard of such a thing. Apparently they can depending on the impurities in the stone and the harder the stone the hotter the temperature has to be. Emeralds apparently turn into phenacite when burned. Hopefully some knowledgeable in gemstones goon could confirm or give more detail on this.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Tunicate posted:

People can do whatever they want to opossums for 5 days in NC. Some want that changed

I like how the article describes how the law came about, but makes no effort to explain how or why a town came to cherish the tradition of lowering an opossum in a plastic box to ring in the new year.

Edit:

M_Sinistrari posted:

This made me go look up if gemstones can burn because I've never heard of such a thing.

Jet fuel can’t melt giant emeralds. :colbert:

Blue Moonlight has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Nov 20, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blue Moonlight posted:

I like how the article describes how the law came about, but makes no effort to explain how or why a town came to cherish the tradition of lowering an opossum in a plastic box to ring in the new year.

Edit:

Jet fuel can’t melt giant emeralds. :colbert:

I'm going to hazard a guess that nobody else in the town can either.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Tunicate posted:

Whenever somebody says "you can do whatever you want" I assume it's a sex thing. A sexy opossum purge. How do the possums feel about it, or are they getting hosed to death in a new years tradition too?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

Tradition is peer pressure from dead people, no one knows how it started but by God they're gonna keep doing it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

This made me go look up if gemstones can burn because I've never heard of such a thing. Apparently they can depending on the impurities in the stone and the harder the stone the hotter the temperature has to be. Emeralds apparently turn into phenacite when burned. Hopefully some knowledgeable in gemstones goon could confirm or give more detail on this.

There was a famous experiment where Lavoiser burned a diamond using a gigantic magnifying glass, in order to prove that it was just carbon.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

jojoinnit posted:

Whenever somebody says "you can do whatever you want" I assume it's a sex thing. A sexy opossum purge. How do the possums feel about it, or are they getting hosed to death in a new years tradition too?

They had the restraint to NOT name it whacking day

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Or Weasel Stomping Day.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Don Gato posted:

Tradition is peer pressure from dead people, no one knows how it started but by God they're gonna keep doing it

As a jew I can confirm.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Don Gato posted:

Tradition is peer pressure from dead people, no one knows how it started but by Torah they're gonna keep doing it

By popular demand posted:

As a jew I can confirm.

FTFY

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I started laughing cause I thought this was the Bahia emerald at first and that would’ve been the perfect end to it, but I feel like these people just heard the story about it and decided “why not”

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/curse-bahia-emerald-giant-green-rock-wreaks-havoc-ruins-lives/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

generally less burn and more explode into dust due to uneven heating and internal stresses

might wanna crosspost to the lapidary/gemstone megathread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894756&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Church accidentally builds giant baby Jesus statue resembling Phil Collins

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I can feel it coming in the air tonight
A Lord

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Don Gato posted:

I remember when my hometown stopped doing the annual Porcupine Races.

What inspired the event?

quote:

"Ron Brinton made a comment that he saw a porcupine running down Main Street on the way to work that morning," Wooters said. "I said 'That's it. Why not have a porcupine race?' "

The town was not happy when PETA showed up after almost a decade of chasing porcupines with brooms and convinced the state to put a stop to it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I live in an area where putting a dead kangaroo in a shopping trolley and taking it on a pub crawl is a thing so can safely say "what the gently caress, peta were right".

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inceltown posted:

I live in an area where putting a dead kangaroo in a shopping trolley and taking it on a pub crawl is a thing so can safely say "what the gently caress, peta were right".

I've been drunk enough to sing Khe Sanh at karaoke

I've been drunk enough to vomit out the window of a cop car

I've never been drunk enough to put a dead kangaroo in a shopping cart

wtf Inceltown-town.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

So it was, as soon as Moses came near the camp, that he saw the Israelites air-drumming "In The Air Tonight". And Moses said to Aaron, “What did this people do to you that you have brought so great a sin upon them?” So Aaron said, “You know the people, that they are set on evil. For they said to me, ‘Make us gods that shall go before us.’ And I said to them, ‘Whoever has any gold, let them break it off.’ So they gave it to me, and I threw it into the fire, and out came Baby Phil Collins.”

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

So it was, as soon as Moses came near the camp, that he saw the Israelites air-drumming "In The Air Tonight". And Moses said to Aaron, “What did this people do to you that you have brought so great a sin upon them?” So Aaron said, “You know the people, that they are set on evil. For they said to me, ‘Make us gods that shall go before us.’ And I said to them, ‘Whoever has any gold, let them break it off.’ So they gave it to me, and I threw it into the fire, and out came Baby Phil Collins.”

:golfclap:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sir Lemming posted:

Book 1: Genesis

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I thought that was called Lemon Party

“It ain’t a lemon party without ol’ dick!”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Book 1: Genesis
:hmmyes:

been talkin to baby phil collins all my life

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1197932756442984454

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Illinois teen tries to sell classmate as slave on Craigslist

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

loving Naperville.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

There must be some misunderstanding. There must be some kind of mistake

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:hmmyes:

See the face on the billboard? Well, that man is me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Memento posted:

I've been drunk enough to sing Khe Sanh at karaoke

I've been drunk enough to vomit out the window of a cop car

I've never been drunk enough to put a dead kangaroo in a shopping cart

wtf Inceltown-town.

see Wake in Fright. Rural Australia does things to people.