Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1197032451438235649
https://twitter.com/Funk_Barn/status/1197580091926228997
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1197581307078959105

Bob.

EDIT: Goddammit, why do my posts keep starting on a new page?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

Those points about toyetic-ness and the lighsaber fights were both popularized by the Plinkett reviews.

let me take you back to the end of history, the long forgotten time of 1999-2009, when everyone on earth thought these things without the help of redlettermedia

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Bob Chipman is what comes to mind when I think about natural selection. Specifically the one selected to be eaten after a plane crash.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bonaventure posted:

let me take you back to the end of history, the long forgotten time of 1999-2009, when everyone on earth thought these things without the help of redlettermedia

I genuinely don't remember 'toyeticness' being a thing before then because that was RLM actively misunderstanding who came up with that term. It wasn't Lucas or anyone in Star Wars at all, it was a term one of the Kenner execs used to decide if they wanted to use an IP and that's what led them to go for Star Wars when no one else was interested.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I watched Hbomb's Pathologic video. I think my favorite videos of his are the "here's a long video about something I really love and why I think it's great" ones and so I enjoyed the video quite a lot.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the only time ive ever seen the word toyetic is when Freakazoid made fun of the term

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i remember hearing it a lot when the Schumacher Batman movies were in theaters

maybe on Siskel & Ebert or something, i forget; but the term was definitely around

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Harrow posted:

I watched Hbomb's Pathologic video. I think my favorite videos of his are the "here's a long video about something I really love and why I think it's great" ones and so I enjoyed the video quite a lot.

It's a great video on a fascinating game I never want to play.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Max Wilco posted:

Bob.

EDIT: Goddammit, why do my posts keep starting on a new page?!

I saw that conversation and that Dingus twitter handle is an obvious bad faith troll. Bob also spent several posts pointing out he had already addressed that now 7 year old screengrab and apologized for it. Most of the commonly posted screengrabs Bob more or less directly said that he doesn't believe any of that.

The criticisms of Bob ultimately come down to a bad faith belief that because Bob is a "liberal", then the worst possible interpretation is justified, regardless of all claims or context to the contrary. Which results in erroneous bad faith claims like, "Bob hates poor people" or "Bob hates blue collar workers". Or otherwise you have people working backwards for an argument to support their a priori conclusion of Bob being bad: "Well if he likes eugenics he must hate poor people" and so on. It's 100% what InnuendoStudios criticizes in his Theseus Argument video; where people make absurd claims based on a chain of custody of inferred positions, where Position B is kiiiiiinda like Position A, ergo Bob 100% believes B" and so on. While arguments to the contrary and exonerating context like, "Bob just hates Trumpists" is outright dismissed.

Or you know, also ignored because of a garbage belief that capitalism causes racism ergo racists aren't responsible and Bob is mean for picking on them and is a liberal anyways so anything is justified, everything is permitted.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

CYBEReris posted:

the only time ive ever seen the word toyetic is when Freakazoid made fun of the term

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Raenir Salazar posted:

I saw that conversation and that Dingus twitter handle is an obvious bad faith troll. Bob also spent several posts pointing out he had already addressed that now 7 year old screengrab and apologized for it. Most of the commonly posted screengrabs Bob more or less directly said that he doesn't believe any of that.

The criticisms of Bob ultimately come down to a bad faith belief that because Bob is a "liberal", then the worst possible interpretation is justified, regardless of all claims or context to the contrary. Which results in erroneous bad faith claims like, "Bob hates poor people" or "Bob hates blue collar workers". Or otherwise you have people working backwards for an argument to support their a priori conclusion of Bob being bad: "Well if he likes eugenics he must hate poor people" and so on. It's 100% what InnuendoStudios criticizes in his Theseus Argument video; where people make absurd claims based on a chain of custody of inferred positions, where Position B is kiiiiiinda like Position A, ergo Bob 100% believes B" and so on. While arguments to the contrary and exonerating context like, "Bob just hates Trumpists" is outright dismissed.

Or you know, also ignored because of a garbage belief that capitalism causes racism ergo racists aren't responsible and Bob is mean for picking on them and is a liberal anyways so anything is justified, everything is permitted.

loving lmao at defending bob shitman in any way, shape or form

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

rudecyrus posted:

loving lmao at defending bob shitman in any way, shape or form

It isn't any different from defending Anita or Brianna Wu, since the attackers stem usually from the same groups, like gamergate, the alt right, and so on.

To be clear this isn't to say Bob never said anything inappropriate or off colour, but he did apologize for them so shouldn't people at some point just move on? Bob doesn't say anything that doesn't get routinely said in D&D yet the same people and the usual suspects can't seem to stop throwing a shitfit every single time, maybe just move on? Does every tweet where he's like, "Natalie Portman being the next Thor is awesome, bonus points for loving with nazi's" need to be constantly responded with "But eugenics?" It isn't like he actually supports it, he was trolling the alt right.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Raenir Salazar posted:

Bob doesn't say anything that doesn't get routinely said in D&D

well yeah, that's part of the problem

Anyway, I dislike Bob because he's precisely the sort of person who thinks a multi-billion dollar media conglomerate making Thor female means a devastating loss for the alt right.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Bob’s mostly a Bostonian rear end in a top hat, so like... some folk are gonna hate him. That’s fine.

He still gets poo poo on way more than someone whose core “problematic” issue is believing “conservatives are irredeemable garbage people and giving them the time of day is cruel to everyone else” warrants.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

It isn't any different from defending Anita or Brianna Wu, since the attackers stem usually from the same groups, like gamergate, the alt right, and so on.

To be clear this isn't to say Bob never said anything inappropriate or off colour, but he did apologize for them so shouldn't people at some point just move on? Bob doesn't say anything that doesn't get routinely said in D&D yet the same people and the usual suspects can't seem to stop throwing a shitfit every single time, maybe just move on? Does every tweet where he's like, "Natalie Portman being the next Thor is awesome, bonus points for loving with nazi's" need to be constantly responded with "But eugenics?" It isn't like he actually supports it, he was trolling the alt right.

gently caress off with this nonsense. You can't just say 'wow you calling me an idiot is just like gamergate', Bob hasn't faced anything near what that was like for actual human beings but I guess that shows how much you actually give a poo poo about that stuff.

Yea man, 'but eugenics' is a pretty good counter to a lot of his poo poo, he has open disdain for the poor and working class of the country because he believes they all vote for the bad people (while never of course admitting the issues in the democrats of course), he's not 'trolling the alt right' he constantly says this poo poo because he believes it. He's the guy who literally ranted that he DESERVED to be in some flying car space station but the drat poors are holding him back. Him, the idiot who's main job seems to be scream about mario, HE'S the one who 'deserves' the transhumanist future and it's all the workers of the world who are holding him back. He can eat every dick in the galaxy and I hope every word out of his mouth leads to people going 'hey remember how you're a eugenics supporting freak'.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Harrow posted:

Equeen posted:

It's a great video on a fascinating game I never want to play.

Equeen summed it up perfectly well. What an incredibly annoying sounding game to actually experience for yourself.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

He's continued spewing terrible loving opinions since 2012.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
^ He's disavowed that one too as him just being mad at what Trumpers have enabled, what do you want? It's just venting.

rudecyrus posted:

well yeah, that's part of the problem

Anyway, I dislike Bob because he's precisely the sort of person who thinks a multi-billion dollar media conglomerate making Thor female means a devastating loss for the alt right.

I'd say that's sentiment is way more reasonable of a criticism and its practically night and day to me; it can actually foster discussion instead of being bogged down. Like, it literally is though because the alt right and modern conservatism has defined itself around social issues and the appearance of a judeo-christian patriachical social order. Having power systemically concentrated into the hands of a few white male christians isn't enough for the Jorps and Beniros of the world; they have to smugly strut around without compromise and have any challenge not exist in its entirety.

Female Thor's mere existence is an existential crisis to the right, that like Captain Marvel before it, bj to the USAF notwithstanding, must fail at all costs or risk their dominance further erode.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Equeen summed it up perfectly well. What an incredibly annoying sounding game to actually experience for yourself.

It's really not that annoying to play, and I say that as someone that hates survival elements in literally every game I've ever played except like Don't Starve. I haven't watched the video yet but Pathologic 2 is one of my favorite games I've played this year.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thor isn’t a female in the new Thor movie. Thor is still Thor and Jane is coming back to wield the hammer. It’s going to be a thing for 20 minutes and then it’s gonna make a bunch of money and no one will care about it after that. Like Captain Marvel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I always felt like the USAF stuff in Captain Marvel was severely overemphasised. They're barely in it. Like, sure, they got a couple of planes and military personnel in there in a vaguely positive context, but it's not, like, a central thematic pillar of the movie or anything. It's more like an advert for some lovely auto company or fast food chain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Bob gets hate because he's literally everything about woke consumerism that's utterly vile and selfish. He entirely wraps his identity in 'I consume good thing, I am good', he wants no actual discussion on, say, hey it's weird how Captain Marvel was a giant air force funded propaganda film, and does that moment in Endgame when all the lady characters, most of whom have never even been in the same room despite all these movies, nod at each other really warrant the massive boner people are springing for it, and maybe we should point out that when Marvel gets all huffy about 'how can you say our movies aren't art, WE MADE A BLACK ONE' that just reveals exactly why they did Black Panther. He wants no actual criticism despite calling himself a critic, his job is to just suck all this pop culture poo poo in and absorb it into his identity like a slightly more dump rear end Kirby.

That would be fine if he didn't have such open and proud disdain for anyone not in his weird uber-privileged bubble. He can 'disavow' it all he wants but he KEEPS DOING IT, every other week he goes on some screed about how the stupid poors need to be shut out of everything, completely misunderstanding actual voter data and all because why the gently caress should the guy who's life never gets more complex than 'should I watch Guardians of the Galaxy or Suicide Squad today' be assed to put in the bare minimum of educating HIMSELF. He's already educated, he's already in the Eloi class who DESERVES the future, he doesn't need to look at actual data and see the most common issue in voting is actually massive under-engagement and outright suppression, or see that the bulk of Trump's support is actually middle and higher class suburb white people, you know, PEOPLE LIKE HIM. It's easier to blame the poor and undereducated, they're the national scapegoat we should shove into the meat grinder so loving MovieBob can get his flying car.

gently caress I hate that guy and I really hate the 'oh he was just venting' excuse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
talking about how you think tons of people deserve to die is not what I would describe as venting

also him speaking about how he "earned" his techno future uptopia is pretty telling of his outlook on life(very self-important)

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Bob's Mario book is one of the better unintentional comedy novels I've read. Half the book is about his life and seems like thats where the focus is. The other half is some kind of low grade Lets Play intertwined with more stuff about his life.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

^ He's disavowed that one too as him just being mad at what Trumpers have enabled, what do you want? It's just venting.

I'd say that's sentiment is way more reasonable of a criticism and its practically night and day to me; it can actually foster discussion instead of being bogged down. Like, it literally is though because the alt right and modern conservatism has defined itself around social issues and the appearance of a judeo-christian patriachical social order. Having power systemically concentrated into the hands of a few white male christians isn't enough for the Jorps and Beniros of the world; they have to smugly strut around without compromise and have any challenge not exist in its entirety.

Female Thor's mere existence is an existential crisis to the right, that like Captain Marvel before it, bj to the USAF notwithstanding, must fail at all costs or risk their dominance further erode.

How can you say this in 2019?

No seriously are you actually just MovieBob and you actively avoid actually looking at the world around you? The 'alt-right' is just the loving republican party at this point, and they don't actually give a poo poo about captain marvel. It's just red meat, just's just a way to keep people angry and, ya know, eventually killing people they don't like.

Nothing is actually HAPPENING with this poo poo, it's just an excuse for a huge company to say 'by giving us money you're actually a good person' so who cares where that money actually goes (to Trump, it goes to Trump, woops). They don't give a poo poo about actual minorities, Black Panther is just Marvel's shield to hide behind and mock someone who literally is a major force behind the World Cinema Project that gives voice to, ya know, actual small directors from all around the world. It's the most cynical, cruel, poo poo possible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
*shoving money into Perlmutter's hands* wow this is really owning Trump!!!! I bet Stephen Miller, the literal open and proud white nationalist that for SOME REASON we just can't remove from the white house is sure mad that for five seconds Thor may have titties.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

IronicDongz posted:

talking about how you think tons of people deserve to die is not what I would describe as venting

also him speaking about how he "earned" his techno future uptopia is pretty telling of his outlook on life(very self-important)

The breadtube thread had posters defending dekulakization ostensibly because they were hoarding resources and resisting economic reforms to better society. Putting aside what varying degree of violence is necessary in a revolutionary context, which is arguable; when it seems like for many goons it depends on whether or not the subset of people in question are in a particular economic class as to whether or not they deserve some particular fate it seems a little hypocritical looking at it as an aggregate.

Maybe you believe that no one, anywhere, ever, at any point, not even literal nazi's guarding concentration camps, deserve to die. As long as you're consistent, fine. But is it really your place to police people? Bob was out there protesting the far right straight pride rally on the streets and risked violence, when he sees many of his friends harmed by the policies of the Trump administration, I think the sentiment is at least understandable even if he shouldn't express it in that way.

The android technofuture utopia thing is just exaggeration which he said as much.

quote:

he wants no actual discussion on, say, hey it's weird how Captain Marvel was a giant air force funded propaganda film

This is also what I mean when it seems like a lot of bad faith posters seemingly say gently caress it and reach for the worst interpretation based off of incidental beliefs. Like I bet you at no point he's actually said this, but people assume its true, and well, as Colbert says, if your gut believes it, it must be true. Ergo its okay to say whatever you want.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I always felt like the USAF stuff in Captain Marvel was severely overemphasised. They're barely in it. Like, sure, they got a couple of planes and military personnel in there in a vaguely positive context, but it's not, like, a central thematic pillar of the movie or anything. It's more like an advert for some lovely auto company or fast food chain.

Captain marvel was interesting in the movie had a vaguely anti military message (killing people without thinking is bad)

All the Air force stuff was them using the movie in outside material

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Stormgale posted:

Captain marvel was interesting in the movie had a vaguely anti military message (killing people without thinking is bad)

All the Air force stuff was them using the movie in outside material

Thats the other thing, the entire movie screams spy thriller/jingoistic global war on terror movie deconstruction. Everything about the plot of the movie seems critical of special forces/SEAL Team Six saving the day tropes and comes off of subversive of American hegemony to me; its so obvious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

The breadtube thread had posters defending dekulakization ostensibly because they were hoarding resources and resisting economic reforms to better society. Putting aside what varying degree of violence is necessary in a revolutionary context, which is arguable; when it seems like for many goons it depends on whether or not the subset of people in question are in a particular economic class as to whether or not they deserve some particular fate it seems a little hypocritical looking at it as an aggregate.

Maybe you believe that no one, anywhere, ever, at any point, not even literal nazi's guarding concentration camps, deserve to die. As long as you're consistent, fine. But is it really your place to police people? Bob was out there protesting the far right straight pride rally on the streets and risked violence, when he sees many of his friends harmed by the policies of the Trump administration, I think the sentiment is at least understandable even if he shouldn't express it in that way.

The android technofuture utopia thing is just exaggeration which he said as much.

This is also what I mean when it seems like a lot of bad faith posters seemingly say gently caress it and reach for the worst interpretation based off of incidental beliefs. Like I bet you at no point he's actually said this, but people assume its true, and well, as Colbert says, if your gut believes it, it must be true. Ergo its okay to say whatever you want.

it's pretty convenient how everything bad he does was just an exaggeration or venting, no matter how many times it happens, but I'm the one just making poo poo up right?

Also I don't care about arguing about kulaks or where he 'protested' when the point here is that he's so loving pig ignorant he refuses to listen to the many people (including actual minorities, not just someone who knows people like him but hey he's the real victim here) explain to him that demonizing the working class as a whole won't help anything when the real damaging issue is the elites (including, oh, say, the CEOs he sucks off for 'diversity' cash ins) suppressing people's votes and all

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Thats the other thing, the entire movie screams spy thriller/jingoistic global war on terror movie deconstruction. Everything about the plot of the movie seems critical of special forces/SEAL Team Six saving the day tropes and comes off of subversive of American hegemony to me; its so obvious.

I wouldn't go that far, as I mentioned it has a kind of tepid message.

And I feel the fact that even with the context of the movie, the fact the USAF was using it as a big tool of "WOMEN POWER, COME BOMB PEOPLE" is probably a net negative.

IT was just interesting watching people in spaces arguing past eachother, because the movies message and how it's used in a wider context are at least somewhat opposite

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also just as a storytelling thing you can see how little thought they gave Marvel beyond the sweet sweet USAF sponsored 'ladies can drop bombs too' ad campaigns because Endgame literally had to start with her going 'uh I have to leave the movie now'

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Harrow posted:

"Some people prefer to listen to my videos instead of watch them. I put a lot of work into my visuals, but, y'know, it's fine."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bonaventure posted:

I said "popularized" not "birthed wholecloth from Mr. Pilinkett's crusty bunghole"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Captain Marvel is very cleverly written in that it has its cake and eats it too, in that you can take the surface level read of it being a "subversion" of seal team six style narratives with a pro-refugee bent, but if you dig deeper you realize that oh, wait, its about a white blonde lady from the US Military cooperating with intelligence specialists to curbstomp a bunch of ~dangerous religious extremists~ with WMDs who are menacing the not- Israelis.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Wait in this reading are the Jews the shapeshifting semi-reptilian aliens?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Captain Marvel is very cleverly written in that it has its cake and eats it too, in that you can take the surface level read of it being a "subversion" of seal team six style narratives with a pro-refugee bent, but if you dig deeper you realize that oh, wait, its about a white blonde lady from the US Military cooperating with intelligence specialists to curbstomp a bunch of ~dangerous religious extremists~ with WMDs who are menacing the not- Israelis.

Wait, I'm confused, you mean the Empire Marvel was a part of at the beginning and their role in the plot at the end; or the Skrulls and their role in the beginning? Because the whole narrative being about how the Skrulls are actually NOT religious extremists with WMDs but are actually just displaced persons trying to find a home I would read as very critical of Israel.

The Skrulls are Palestinians, the I forget their name, the evil empire are Israel, the US are....... The USSR? Some neutral 3rd party battleground? Afghanistan? Israel/Evil Empire tries to shell the neutral battleground into oblivion to get at its enemies, etc.

The movie could be easily read as like a Israeli Special Forces operative defecting after going rogue upon realizing the truth after spending time in a refugee camp.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wait in this reading are the Jews the shapeshifting semi-reptilian aliens?

Specifically they are initially represented as such but then revealed to actually be normal people just trying to find a home, basically.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Raenir Salazar posted:

The breadtube thread had posters defending
I never posted in it and don't care

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe you believe that no one, anywhere, ever, at any point, not even literal nazi's guarding concentration camps, deserve to die.
saying that nazis guarding concentration camps deserved to die is way loving different from "poor people who voted wrong deserved to die". what a stupid false equivalence.

Raenir Salazar posted:

But is it really your place to police people?
we are in a thread for discussing internet personalities, which does not mean only praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't care how many times he apologizes and disavows his lovely opinions as long as he continues to spew the same lovely opinions.