Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

HL:A is giving me the push to get the Index controllers. Ever since the Touch controllers came out I realized how dogshit the Vive Wands were. I plan on getting the headset eventually going to have to wait for finances to improve.

I'm really drat excited for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

cheesetriangles posted:

HL:A is giving me the push to get the Index controllers. Ever since the Touch controllers came out I realized how dogshit the Vive Wands were. I plan on getting the headset eventually going to have to wait for finances to improve.

Same. Trying to keep away from any gameplay I can until release. >_>

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Can anyone with the Knuckles prototype confirm if they've received HL: A? It hasn't popped up in my library yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cheesetriangles posted:

I had a friend in the US order a set of Index Controllers for me, so looks like they're getting HL:A for free out of it :v:.

Also if you're in Canada or Japan, they're now apparently eligible to order Index hardware too.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I had a friend in the US order a set of Index Controllers for me, so looks like they're getting HL:A for free out of it :v:.

Also if you're in Canada or Japan, they're now apparently eligible to order Index hardware too.

In Japan it's through a partner Degica - https://steamvr.jp/ I was going to get an index anyway, a free game makes it easier. I am probably going to wait a bit, will get one before March.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I can tell I'm old as gently caress because the commenters melting down everywhere about how they'll never have VR and it isn't for them and they have special brains that don't understand 3D (as if the real world was a sidescroller) and Valve is ignoring them are identical to what people said about 3D accelerators and 3D games in the mid 90s.

e: I'm also surprised that rockpapershotgun of all places is the saltiest about this, when that tends to be a more mature and less reactionary outlet and audience.

Breakfast All Day fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 22, 2019

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Breakfast All Day posted:

I can tell I'm old as gently caress because the commenters melting down everywhere about how they'll never have VR and it isn't for them and they have special brains that don't understand 3D (as if the real world was a sidescroller) and Valve is ignoring them are identical to what people said about 3D accelerators and 3D games in the mid 90s.

It'll be great when Sony's new console comes out and they refuse to publish any non-VR games on it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
PS5 is just a VR headset that tethers to a graphics card. Please look forward to it.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I'm glad I don't care that much for video games, but I'm astonished that there are people that didn't think the next game from valve would be VR. After developing and selling their own >1k$ headset.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Espire 1: VR Operative is finally launching today. I'm so loving excited for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWWA59o5hLg

UploadVR's review: https://uploadvr.com/espire-1-vr-operative-review/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Espire 1: VR Operative is finally launching today. I'm so loving excited for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWWA59o5hLg

UploadVR's review: https://uploadvr.com/espire-1-vr-operative-review/

Looks great, but they mention it's a short campaign (and don't clarify how short it is). The review could do a better job conveying information.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Looks great, but they mention it's a short campaign (and don't clarify how short it is). The review could do a better job conveying information.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Baron von der Loon posted:

Can anyone with the Knuckles prototype confirm if they've received HL: A? It hasn't popped up in my library yet.
It's supposed to show up right away? The page says in March 2020.

--edit: Oh indeed. I bought it by accident because of not reading the whole product page, got it refunded and it's still listed in my library.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

owned! thanks

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Lemming posted:

Also you might want to check out https://www.lambda1vr.com/ if you want to get ready for Half Life Alyx, it's a HL1 mod for the Quest :toot:

this can work on the normal Rift?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its extremely hosed up that the Rift used to have a good Half Life VR conversion, now it doesnt, and the Quest has one but the Rift still doesnt

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

holy moley that must be a lot of $1000 headsets

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Are we likely to see any Black Friday sales on quests, or should I just pull the trigger and order one now? I don’t see why they’d need to put them on sale considering what Valve just did.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They didn't announce any for Quest, S's will be $50 off. Maybe some store will have something but unlikely

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

repiv posted:

You can buy each part separately, and I bet they are including people like me that bought parts and kept older ones. I kept my old lighthouses from my Vive.

That and Valve can put whatever they want on the top of that list, just because it says its a top seller doesn't mean it actually is, you know?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

repiv posted:

It's going by monetary value not units sold, so every headset is the equivalent of selling 19ish copies of Fallen Order.

That's still a shitload of headsets, though. :stare:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Rubber Slug posted:

Are we likely to see any Black Friday sales on quests, or should I just pull the trigger and order one now? I don’t see why they’d need to put them on sale considering what Valve just did.

None from Oculus; they've announced their Black Friday deals and the only thing for Quest is a free copy of Vader Immortal with any Quest bought for the rest of the year.

KakerMix posted:

You can buy each part separately, and I bet they are including people like me that bought parts and kept older ones. I kept my old lighthouses from my Vive.

They're not; headset+controllers and just controllers are different products, and all three are on the best sellers top ten. All three are ahead of Half-Life: Alyx, even.

edit:

Fuzz posted:

It's going by monetary value not units sold, so every headset is the equivalent of selling 19ish copies of Fallen Order.

That makes a lot of sense. I did wonder why it always seems to bias towards really big names and viral indie things rarely seem to show up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

KakerMix posted:

That and Valve can put whatever they want on the top of that list, just because it says its a top seller doesn't mean it actually is, you know?
Nah those are separate items, yesterday the full kit, the HMD, and the knuckles were all on that list

It is definitely bullshit though, I don't think they're dragging and dropping the Index to the top of the list but it doesn't represent thousands of sales

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's quite some salt in the Steam discussion section of HL:A. poo poo like "Valve opening themselves to class action suits", because VR-only is apparently discrimination.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah the steam thread was where I was told I deserve to get my head cut off cause I'm apparently a 1%er for saving up 400 bucks to buy a video game console. Wish I could tap into my 1% income and get out of this ghetto and my crappy retail job. Why mods seem to be cool with that when "kill urself" posts often earn a probation, I dunno.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Ah yeah they are sperate items, you guys are right. And going by raw $ amount probably helps but I still suspect list manipulation going on.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's quite some salt in the Steam discussion section of HL:A. poo poo like "Valve opening themselves to class action suits", because VR-only is apparently discrimination.

I can only imagine. Even in the threads here on SA outside of this safe space is full of stuff from the mundane (VR is 3DTV) to the insane (VR is 3DTV and NOT real)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I sure hope the release of the game doesn't result in a buy -> negative review -> refund bullshit from salty gamers.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Didn't you know that "Gamer" is a protected class these days and the most discriminated against at that :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baron von der Loon posted:

It doesn't come out till March, relax!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KakerMix posted:

I can only imagine. Even in the threads here on SA outside of this safe space is full of stuff from the mundane (VR is 3DTV) to the insane (VR is 3DTV and NOT real)

"VR Jocks" was a phrase uttered un-ironically on SA.

We're gonna bust into your house and make you play beat saber! Watch out nerds!!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That was me that said that, like a page ago in this thread. And just because how pissy and aggressive some of the top posters itt get over incredibly minor things

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

repiv posted:

This is the power of literally any piece of new half life content

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I don't understand the perception of the exclusivity of VR gaming, when there are definitely people in any given Games thread who have G-sync monitors that are as or more expensive than the midrange VR headsets.

VR isn't all that expensive unless you make it so. Many goons have a VR-spec PC, and a Rift S costs about as much as a Switch. Just because you can drop two grand on an Index and 2080ti doesn't mean you have to.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shine posted:

I don't understand the perception of the exclusivity of VR gaming, when there are definitely people in any given Games thread who have G-sync monitors that are as or more expensive than the midrange VR headsets.

VR isn't all that expensive unless you make it so. Many goons have a VR-spec PC, and a Rift S costs about as much as a Switch. Just because you can drop two grand on an Index and 2080ti doesn't mean you have to.

Cause you need an i7 CPU and 2080 ti to maybe play beat saber, on top of having a 50x50 foot playroom you bourgeois gently caress
:goonsay:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

repiv posted:

Mmm it has been in the first positions for some months...
It's a list ordered by revenue, and the revenue is 18x a normal game so they have to sell 18 times less than a game to be there. That said, I'm sure they got a good sales bump with HL Alyx.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shine posted:

I think a lot of people outside of VR don't know there are headsets other than VIVE and Index.

The fact that Quest works standalone doesn't even seem to be part of the equation. Everybody is saying "I need a $600 headset AND a powerful gaming PC?! I don't have a powerful gaming pc!"

I guess most people are talking about Alyx right now and that won't work on Quest standalone though

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I hope HL:A is close to 20 hours gameplay, or else it'll feel like a tech demo. I guess I shouldn't complain too much because it's free now for Index users. I was one who purchased HL:A within an hour of it showing up on Steam without reading forums. I'm glad they auto refunded so I didn't have to go through their horrid support.

Now if they could hurry up with an exact release date so I can put for my vacation weeks. I got four weeks to burn up before June, so I might as well use it for HL:A and Cyberpunk 2077.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they said ~13h of gameplay iirc

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Geoff Keighley said it took him over 15 hours but, he's Geoff Keighley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

20 hours is significantly more than any Half Life game has ever been, unless you count all of the episodes of 2 as part of the main game, so