Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wait, I'm confused, you mean the Empire Marvel was a part of at the beginning and their role in the plot at the end; or the Skrulls and their role in the beginning? Because the whole narrative being about how the Skrulls are actually NOT religious extremists with WMDs but are actually just displaced persons trying to find a home I would read as very critical of Israel.

The Skrulls are Palestinians, the I forget their name, the evil empire are Israel, the US are....... The USSR? Some neutral 3rd party battleground? Afghanistan? Israel/Evil Empire tries to shell the neutral battleground into oblivion to get at its enemies, etc.

The religious extremists are the Kree like Ronan, the Skrulls are vilified refugees who it turns out are just normal people, the entire point is that Carol's only major wrongdoing was not listening to the smart intel people (who did nothing to actually deserve trust but hey they're intel people you have to just believe them) and then bring the US military might down on the REAL spooky alien religious people who AREN'T just normal people like us. It's, as you said yourself, not that complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

why is moviebob posting in the SA internet critic thread

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

To explain in simpler terms: the trick Captain Marvel pulls is presenting it's initial premise as Vers/the Kree as the US and the Skrulls as al qaeda/iraq/iran/etc., but reveals that actually the skrulls are israel, the Kree (specifically Ronan) as ISIS, and Captain Marvel as the US Military coming in to defend the innocent with flashy shock and awe superpowers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you see, and this may be where you get tripped up, a message of 'see, refugees are actually normal people like you, it's the scary weird religious people you should worry about' frames the idea that 'people like you' are the default and the real proof of being safe is in how much like you someone is. The Skrulls were bad until we found out they're actually just like us, unlike those drat Kree who never proved how like us they are, so we need to space bomb them even though we have nothing to do with their war. Also why are the Kree mad at us???

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

sexpig by night posted:

The religious extremists are the Kree like Ronan, the Skrulls are vilified refugees who it turns out are just normal people, the entire point is that Carol's only major wrongdoing was not listening to the smart intel people (who did nothing to actually deserve trust but hey they're intel people you have to just believe them) and then bring the US military might down on the REAL spooky alien religious people who AREN'T just normal people like us. It's, as you said yourself, not that complex.

This doesn't really make sense, who was the smart intel people?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

To explain in simpler terms: the trick Captain Marvel pulls is presenting it's initial premise as Vers/the Kree as the US and the Skrulls as al qaeda/iraq/iran/etc., but reveals that actually the skrulls are israel, the Kree (specifically Ronan) as ISIS, and Captain Marvel as the US Military coming in to defend the innocent with flashy shock and awe superpowers.

Yeah this tracks. Though portraying as Captain Marvel as synonymous with the US military I think I agree with definitely overemphasizing it. At best maybe she is a sort of anthropormorthic representation as to what Good Things like beating Nazi's, the US military could do. Like how Captain America or Superman represent higher American ideals of freedom, truth, and justice but the actual reality of the US, in the real world, or in the plot often fall short.

sexpig by night posted:

you see, and this may be where you get tripped up, a message of 'see, refugees are actually normal people like you, it's the scary weird religious people you should worry about' frames the idea that 'people like you' are the default and the real proof of being safe is in how much like you someone is. The Skrulls were bad until we found out they're actually just like us, unlike those drat Kree who never proved how like us they are, so we need to space bomb them even though we have nothing to do with their war. Also why are the Kree mad at us???

This literally has no resemblance to the movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

i kinda saw the skrulls as yazidi or kurds/etc rather than israel. but yeah pretty much.

Anyway, i am more surprised someone is defending bob. dudes not hated because he is a liberal, he is disliked because he is an arrogant rear end in a top hat who pretends he is some radical intilectual when he is just some technocrat bootkisser who thinks his life is an 80s movies and sucks the poo poo from the assholes of giant companies and writes off entire sections of the population to die because they are mean townie/rural jocks who all worship trump and/or play FPS and hate the true god Mario. the dude is just the worst kind of dumb rear end in a top hat. the type that thinks they are some enlightened pedagogue.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 22, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You could give Bob the benefit of the doubt if he didn't keep saying the same poo poo over and over and over again.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah "that post was 7 years ago and I apologized for it" doesn't really fly when he's continued to say the same kind of poo poo right up to the last week

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i kinda saw the skrulls as yazidi or kurds/etc rather than israel. but yeah pretty much.

Anyway, i am more surprised someone is defending bob. dudes not hated because he is a liberal, he is disliked because he is an arrogant rear end in a top hat who pretends he is some radical intilectual when he is just some technocrat bootkisser who thinks his life is an 80s movies and sucks the poo poo from the assholes of giant companies and writes off entire sections of the population to die because they are mean townie/rural jocks who all worship trump and/or play FPS and hate the true god Mario. the dude is just the worst kind of dumb rear end in a top hat. the type that thinks they are some enlightened pedagogue.

I mean if this was really true he wouldn't be constantly brigaded and harassed. From left wing posters it really does come down to being a liberal because that's where the arguments ultimately lead to, like merely the fact that he lives in Boston, because of things he has no control over; or because as sexpig writes, "because consume good product" which again, seems to be a critique of liberalism and liberal values of which Bob merely happens to possess.

Then you get weird non-sequitors like the idea he hates people because they play FPSs or don't like Mario, which is just really really really weird. Like you had to either put a lot of thought into being that level of petty or just absolutely zero thought. There is just so much projection going on, so much mental fanfic'ing which seems gross.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Stop being gross and weird about it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fabricated posted:

You could give Bob the benefit of the doubt if he didn't keep saying the same poo poo over and over and over again.

this. if he didnt say his weird hosed up poo poo every other week or learned from it, cool. i get being mad at the various awful poo poo. but bob just wants to be the bully/weird tyrant.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

He gave an explainer a few days ago (Scroll to the Simpsons screencap) but... it's a "Sorry but not sorry" thing. He could have used the screencaps or the link to the tweets themselves rather than make an awkward, awkward paraphrase that goes on for a bit too long, he didn't quite get the point of the criticism so ends up smashing again on that mindset that NITW is pro-Trump because it humanized a rust belt former mining town.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean if this was really true he wouldn't be constantly brigaded and harassed. From left wing posters it really does come down to being a liberal because that's where the arguments ultimately lead to, like merely the fact that he lives in Boston, because of things he has no control over; or because as sexpig writes, "because consume good product" which again, seems to be a critique of liberalism and liberal values of which Bob merely happens to possess.

Then you get weird non-sequitors like the idea he hates people because they play FPSs or don't like Mario, which is just really really really weird. Like you had to either put a lot of thought into being that level of petty or just absolutely zero thought. There is just so much projection going on, so much mental fanfic'ing which seems gross.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Stop being gross and weird about it.

sure whatever. i have poo poo on genuine leftie critics in this thread too. hell i do it way to often with some of them, i am not some Big Cspam person making GBS threads on liberals and score points for the left or whatever. i poo poo on various critics because i think they are pricks or weird prudes who do a bad job at their craft or make the community dumber. bob is some of those. bob is barely even a liberal. dudes a technocrat libertarian. also why vehemently defend these clowns. they feel nothing for you, hell look at the whole contra scandel, they will push a minority group under the bus for one of their friends and write everyone who says otherwise as reactionaries or toxic parasocial relations. they don't care and neither do i, I will mock the ones i like and praise the ones i do.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 22, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. if he didnt say his weird hosed up poo poo every other week or learned from it, cool. i get being mad at the various awful poo poo. but bob just wants to be the bully/weird tyrant.

The problem though is that he doesn't actually say the same poo poo. He's certainly not actually repeated the eugenics thing over the past seven years. He's said different things intending to rileup the alt right, usually in response to the altright/gg harassing him on twitter. He repeats a disregard for trumpists, people who, due to bigotry, routinely vote against their own interests out of spite; who have been largely unreachable no matter the candidate and no matter the policies that would improve their socio-economic circumstances. That he repeatedly expresses and it isn't a wholly unreasonable sentiment. It's wrong to wish death on them but it isn't really wrong to just be like, "gently caress em" on general principle and I think those tweets shouldn't be read with any additional seriousness then you would people sharing guillotine memes for the rich.

I think the actual number of "kinda hosed" tweets at most numbers on one hand. That's not "every other week", and I think its overblown the idea he just wants to be a bully when his actual actions in the real world has been clearly the opposite of that; he was literally out there defending protestors from being attacked by white nationalists.

He's a good person that says some assholish things and gets constantly harassed by the alt right/gamergate which isn't really justified. If it was just a matter of him sometimes seeing something stupid you know that deserves a response, but the degree in which he gets a lot of the same sort of harassment a lot of lefty social justice youtubers get is heinous.

e:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure whatever. i have poo poo on genuine leftie critics in this thread too. hell i do it way to often with some of them, i am not some Big Cspam person making GBS threads on liberals and score points for the left or whatever. i poo poo on various critics because i think they are pricks or weird prudes who do a bad job at their craft or make the community dumber. bob is some of those. bob is barely even a liberal. dudes a technocrat libertarian. also why vehemently defend these clowns. they feel nothing for you, hell look at the whole contra scandel, they will push a minority group under the bus for one of their friends and write everyone who says otherwise as reactionaries or toxic parasocial relations. they don't care and neither do i, I will mock the ones i like and praise the ones i do.

Like this is reasonable and well thought out but he isn't a libertarian though, he strongly supports Warren for instance.

I'd describe it as "Lefty-Techno". He'd support things like UBI and his taxes paying for it and other good infrastructure.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 22, 2019

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

"white working class" is just the media euphemism for "a racist we interviewed to increase our ratings". It's got little to do with white people who are working class. Everyone that voted Trump is a piece of poo poo, regardless of their background.

Movie Bob does seem like a low-level douche but that's all. He's just not worth having strong opinions about.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

sexpig by night posted:

I dunno, maybe ask Ronan, the Kree who tried to destroy a planet with an Infinity Stone?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr E posted:

It's really not that annoying to play, and I say that as someone that hates survival elements in literally every game I've ever played except like Don't Starve. I haven't watched the video yet but Pathologic 2 is one of my favorite games I've played this year.

The video's about Pathologic 1 almost exclusively and comes down to "this game is amazing and fascinating but I really don't recommend that you play it." Instead, he wholeheartedly recommends Pathologic 2. I haven't played either but it sounds like Pathologic 2 kept a lot of the things that made the first one immersive and challenging while ditching the jank that made the first one more annoying than it should be.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bonaventure posted:

let me take you back to the end of history, the long forgotten time of 1999-2009, when everyone on earth thought these things without the help of redlettermedia

Completely insane how some people are so are so submerged in youtube discourse they can't see the forest for the trees

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm watching HBomb's video on Pathologic and I'm vibing out really hard to the slowed down version of Redial from Bomberman Hero. :slick:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bob claims to hate conservatives but consistently when asked to describe them just ends up hating poor people and people who want healthcare. He just completely refuses to believe that the vast majority of conservative votes and supporters are the sort of rich people he idolizes due to being raised on "meritocracy" propaganda.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

moviebob is kind of a huge dumbass

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junpei Hyde posted:

moviebob is kind of a huge dumbass

this is the heart of it, i think

dude's pointed in the correct direction, but he never thinks poo poo through before he says it, which combined with him having fallen rear end-first into having A Platform leads to him very frequently having very dumb takes that get people very mad

e: like he seems like someone who's having some pretty bad cognitive dissonance from both drinking the neoliberal koolaid and seeing how badly those policies gently caress people, and i'm gonna laugh my rear end off if he ends up going hard-left at some point

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TAKA IS COMING

MOTHERFUCKER

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

saying that nazis guarding concentration camps deserved to die is way loving different from "poor people who voted wrong deserved to die". what a stupid false equivalence.

I was wondering how many posts it would take for somebody to call that out, thank you, holy poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
He wrote a book about how Super Mario Bros 3 changed his life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyone who thinks marvel movies are making any meaningful societal progress is a piece of poo poo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'M GONNA KICK YOU rear end

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if your leftism conflicts with 'even lovely people deserve healthcare and housing and a safe and secure work environment' then congrats, you're just a right winger who's a little cooler with gays/trans people/women than others.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

saying that nazis guarding concentration camps deserved to die is way loving different from "poor people who voted wrong deserved to die". what a stupid false equivalence.
Especially because voting wrong in this case was statistically not voting at all, rather than as he completely falsely claims voting for Trump.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Terrible Opinions posted:

Bob claims to hate conservatives but consistently when asked to describe them just ends up hating poor people and people who want healthcare. He just completely refuses to believe that the vast majority of conservative votes and supporters are the sort of rich people he idolizes due to being raised on "meritocracy" propaganda.

Has Bob actually said Medicare for All Is Bad Actually, or is this something you've made up? Because I believe this exchange never happened or you're willfully misinterpreting it.

Additionally you're denying agency to people you're claiming, millions of people as just not knowing any better, which is really not any better; because its just the white savior trope. Oh they just need the right kind of (always a white guy) socialist to come to them like jesus and they'll learn the errors of the ways? Please.

Leal posted:

He wrote a book about how Super Mario Bros 3 changed his life.

This also feels like really petty and gross. Games are art, and games matter. If he as a kid or young adult found the Mario games to be inspiring why is this incidental thing worth your time? Mario actually even is being used in highschools to teach kids agency and to help them feel in control of their lives. I don't see what's noteworthy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Especially because voting wrong in this case was statistically not voting at all, rather than as he completely falsely claims voting for Trump.

again it can't be said enough, Trump's actual most loyal core base is white suburban professionals with middle class and higher lifestyles. Bob and everyone else doing the whole 'all trump voters are just uneducated hillbillies' are missing the actual data (mainly because the people who do that tend to be white suburban professionals with middle class and higher lifestyles). It's the same reason you see white feminists loooove to say 'women rejected Trump' when the actual data is white women voted for Trump and no other demographic of women did so he still did poorly with 'women' as an umbrella demographic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i never in my life thought we'd ever have someone in this thread going to bat for MovieBob and what do you know it's the loving weirdo breadtube thread freak who does nothing but start random fights with people over the stupidest poo poo imaginable and is always on the wrong side of them, wow, amazing, i'm going to break a folding chair over your freakin head

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Harrow posted:

The video's about Pathologic 1 almost exclusively and comes down to "this game is amazing and fascinating but I really don't recommend that you play it." Instead, he wholeheartedly recommends Pathologic 2. I haven't played either but it sounds like Pathologic 2 kept a lot of the things that made the first one immersive and challenging while ditching the jank that made the first one more annoying than it should be.

Yeah the first game from the little I played and watched was worse in pretty much every way, from the translation or lack of it to the gameplay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Additionally you're denying agency to people you're claiming, millions of people as just not knowing any better, which is really not any better; because its just the white savior trope. Oh they just need the right kind of (always a white guy) socialist to come to them like jesus and they'll learn the errors of the ways? Please.
i never thought id see someone say 'white savior trope' in regards to defending coal miners in west virginia who voted for trump, but here we are

this is your brain on moviebob

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also 'always a white guy' socialists is a great flag for 'I haven't even interacted with the most base level DSA types in real life but boy am I mad at Twitter'.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Has Bob actually said Medicare for All Is Bad Actually, or is this something you've made up? Because I believe this exchange never happened or you're willfully misinterpreting it.
He literally only discusses it by whining that oh no the actual progressives might not be as progressive as my almost Republican liberal darlings.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do you not read? Like legitimate question because you just didn't read my post. You and Bob are both perpetuating the myth and poor white people voted for Trump. That is the basis of everything you are claiming here.Those millions of people are all middle class or better. Poor people didn't bother to vote because of voter suppression and Obama's policies literally killing them. Somehow it is a great betrayal that they didn't both voting for four more years of that.

Also it's pretty laughable that you're trying to pull the "always white" bit here when the two American fronts for socialism are a Jewish man and a Latino woman.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Raenir have you heard of this great tabletop game called SIGMATA

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm pretty sure he wrote it, given how the creators posts.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm pretty sure he wrote it, given how the creators posts.

*ssssssshh i want them to say it*

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

Pathologic 1 is a result of both it's age and it's budget. It was massively overambitious in a time when the formula for how to make games like it was largely non-existent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Alaois posted:

i never in my life thought we'd ever have someone in this thread going to bat for MovieBob and what do you know it's the loving weirdo breadtube thread freak who does nothing but start random fights with people over the stupidest poo poo imaginable and is always on the wrong side of them, wow, amazing, i'm going to break a folding chair over your freakin head