Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
That's actually really relieving to hear, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I dont think sexual assault comes up in any of the fgo stuff nasu wrote, anyway, and f/e ccc basically explores literally every aspect of human sexuality *but* that. And even in terms of fgo stuff not written by nasu i think it comes up, like, twice total? And theres a couple of mentions of it in FHA but not any like, actual scene of a female character in sexual danger, its all just in relation to Avanger talking about the evils of the world.

And considering how characters like Gil and Shinji have been walked back it really doesnt feel like a thing thats stuck to the franchise or anything.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Has there ever been any interaction between Extra Shinji and core Shinji? I imagine that would make for one hell of a "scared straight" scenario

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm kind of curious how planned-out FSN was, honestly. There's a lot of stuff about it that makes me kind of feel like Nasu basically wrote the routes in order, without any kind of pre-planned outline, just kind of flying by the seat of his pants and getting the characters nailed down as he went.

Shinji's a big obvious one, given he sort of slowly shifts from "really big rear end in a top hat" to "horrible monster" over the course of the routes, but iirc Kirei also changes a lot over the routes. In Fate he's pretty much just a mustache-twirling rear end in a top hat who does evil poo poo because hell yeah, being evil. UBW starts hinting that there's something more interesting going on with him under the surface, but never really explicates what, and then from HF on he's the Kirei we all know and love.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Ehh, why does that suggest to you that FSN wasn't planned out? Successive chapters uncover character motivations you didn't see before. It's a big part of what makes the routes a compelling read. Your impression of what kind of story FSN is changes greatly from the end of Fate to the end of HF. That's an entirely intentional narrative device.

It's even more blatantly framed in Tsukihime with the near side and far side of the moon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah there’s plenty of stuff in Fate and UBW that’s supposed to come off differently on reread once you have fuller context of the full VN.

One of my favorite examples is in the Fate route when Ilya of all characters derides Archer as “just some Heroic Spirit nobody has ever even heard of”.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Proto Fsn was written and rewritten ever since Nasu was in high school.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Not to mention that there are little scenes in earlier routes that hint at later ones.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Has there ever been any interaction between Extra Shinji and core Shinji? I imagine that would make for one hell of a "scared straight" scenario

Extra Shinji isn't actually Shinji. That's just the avatar form the guy who played the character gets from the Moon Cell. The "friendship" with Hakuno was just role-playing since Hakuno was technically an NPC.
(Kind of like how Extra Rin isn't actually Rin. It's Rin's great niece or something like that?)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm finishing lost butterfly and ah ha ha ha, the smash cut from Sakura gushing about how great Shirou is to "GRAAAAAAAAAAAGH THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT EMIYA *smashes everything*"

as much as i hate Shinji, i typically have a very fun time hating him because he corncobs real good

e: :stare: :stare: :stare: the entire last hour or so of that movie holy gently caress

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 23, 2019

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Shinji is, if nothing else, extremely well acted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Extra Shinji isn't actually Shinji. That's just the avatar form the guy who played the character gets from the Moon Cell.
No, i dont think this is correct? Extra Shinji is 8, not 16-17, but hes still a person named Matou Shinji in real life, and theres concept art of his real life appearance where he looks like an 8 year old shinji.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

Kyte posted:

Shinji is, if nothing else, extremely well acted.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
his dub actor is a loving treasure

relatedly: is lost butterfly the first time an official translation of a T-M work has had the word "gently caress" in it

because that was a hell of a place to use it if so

good god that last scene was just loving anxiety-inducing :stare:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

No, i dont think this is correct? Extra Shinji is 8, not 16-17, but hes still a person named Matou Shinji in real life, and theres concept art of his real life appearance where he looks like an 8 year old shinji.

I mean, even if he's a person named Matou Shinji, he's also 8 years old in like... 2030 or something? It seems difficult to make the case that he's the same character as FSN Matou Shinji.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Extra verse is a confusing parallel timeline that diverged somewhere well before the 20th century. Traditional Magic is dead in it by the 1970s for example.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Who?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

Yeah, they share the name, but that's it. He's a completely separate person. (F/SN Shinji did also exist in the Moon Cell timeline. F/E Shinji is just the Asia MMO gaming champion.) And a lot of the crap personality coming from F/E Shinji is due to memory implantation upon entry into the war. (e.g.; Sakura is an NPC too, and their relationship is false memory manipulation.) Yeah, he's still an arrogant dick, but at least in later versions of F/E, he chills the gently caress out after recalling his actual origin.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
At the end of the day its the same thing Nasu's handled forty times. Character reprisals, characters with multiple alter egos inside them, characters with multiple alter egos outside them. It's kind of Nasu's thing. Do we have to stop every time to point out that the next new Rin is only 98% Rin so she's not the "Rin we know"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's why a large percentage of Nasu stuff makes my head hurt

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assumed every place and time in the Fateverse just has the same two dozen or so people.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Basic saberfacemetrics.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Space Flower posted:

At the end of the day its the same thing Nasu's handled forty times. Character reprisals, characters with multiple alter egos inside them, characters with multiple alter egos outside them. It's kind of Nasu's thing. Do we have to stop every time to point out that the next new Rin is only 98% Rin so she's not the "Rin we know"

I mean, for something as expansive as Fate, it makes sense from an efficiency perspective. You have these baseline expectations for certain characters who've more-or-less become tropes within their own franchise. So, you can keep reusing them without having to provide the background F/SN provides over and over. Then, you get the chance to tweak them, keeping them interesting, and allowing you to expand on both the current version of the character and use them as an additional comparison tool to the original character.

Compare it to something like Star Wars which has the same 5 or 6 character types, but now you have to keep retelling their stories because they're "wholly" new characters.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Space Flower posted:

but extra rin is actually rin's blonde half sister

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AlternateNu posted:

I mean, for something as expansive as Fate, it makes sense from an efficiency perspective. You have these baseline expectations for certain characters who've more-or-less become tropes within their own franchise. So, you can keep reusing them without having to provide the background F/SN provides over and over. Then, you get the chance to tweak them, keeping them interesting, and allowing you to expand on both the current version of the character and use them as an additional comparison tool to the original character.

Compare it to something like Star Wars which has the same 5 or 6 character types, but now you have to keep retelling their stories because they're "wholly" new characters.

it makes sense if you're doing the Gundam/Steel Ball Run thing where everything is explicitly in a separate universe and there's no other connections, but Nasu is incapable of making anything simple and easy to explain, so instead we have multiple alternate timelines that occasionally bump into each other

like, the way this plays into F/SN is easy enough to follow, it basically only matters to the plot with regards to EMIYA and he's just Future Trunks if the androids were his teenage self basically... but yikes do the spinoffs just run with it like crazy and get insanely weird with it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everything in the nasuverse is insanely simple and easy to explain. i dont think any of the spinoffs really take it too far. anything that's actually canonical to f/sn is the same universe as it (fz, fha) and anything thats not canonical to fsn is in a separate universe and entirely divorced from it (fate/extra, fate/apocrypha, prism ilya, fate/grand order). its not more complicated than that.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
and if there's references to other things most of the time they're either not important or even misdirection

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Same place, but different, same face, but different, and same name, but different. It helps if you take things by chunks instead of trying to look at it as a whole.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the rules are made up and the points don't matter etc etc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i think people trip up because they focus too much on minor little callbacks instead of what a thing is clearly trying to be

like yeah fapo is referred to as an alternate dimension that spun off after the third war and theres the shirou kotomine bit but its obviously *intended* to be a grail war entirely disconnected from fsn and works perfectly fine if you just take it as that. like in a universe where fsn, the media property, literally didnt exis andt fapo was just a random seinen manga that got an anime, it would still kind of work. you'd have to change a few line and add in a few mechanics dumps but by and large it'd still work fine. so just take it as its own thing instead of getting hung up on particulars.

same with fgo. the vast majority of people playing fgo never played or watched fsn until after playing fgo. so sure theres some callbacks and stuff but its very clearly its own thing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Today's episode had the best sakuga art I've seen since Kimetsu this year. Mad props

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZWmB_x3x8s

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

enough with the tired timeline chat let us discuss leonardo da vinci's j-cup tiddies instead

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
they've got about *looks at watch* 5 weeks left

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress part 2 gently caress lost belts gently caress delight works

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

In every time, in every place, the face of Saber remains the same.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so do we have any idea when spring song is coming out beyond "spring 2020-ish"?

i'm way too loving hype for this movie

e: sorry if I've been kind of spamming the thread, i just have a grand total of one friend who i can talk about anything Fate-related with

and he's the kind of person where i know his takes on HF are going to be Grail-mud levels of cursed, because i've started to gather that weebs who aren't on the more progressive end of the scale tend to have loving awful opinions about this route

if i never have to read or hear the phrase "worm slut" again in my life it will be too soon

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 24, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’m five movies into Garden of Sinners and at no point yet have they done any kind of gardening.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

Raxivace posted:

I’m five movies into Garden of Sinners and at no point yet have they done any kind of gardening.

Ho boy. Are you in for a treat in that last movies

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I thought carefully pruning unpleasant people was Shiki's main lot in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Shiki is a plant she survives on ice cream and bottled water.