Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Was Bose good at some point and have been resting on their laurels for the last 30-odd years, or have they always done nothing but sell garbage to rubes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They were the best at noise cancellation... There's been some stiff competition lately though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Geoj posted:

Was Bose good at some point and have been resting on their laurels for the last 30-odd years, or have they always done nothing but sell garbage to rubes?

They were the poo poo in the late '80s and early '90s because they were the first commercial/widespread brand that put a beneficial EQ curve in their electronics. It give them a really tight and punchy sound that people found appealing.

I had a friend whose brother was hit by a car and got a big settlement when we were in high school. He took some of the money and bought 4 Bose 901 speakers with an Adcom amp. The sound they made was overwhelmingly awesome, but even then, they used a lot of small drivers, so there was no _deep_ bass. Still fantastic to listen to them with some Pink Floyd playing in the dark, though.

Then Bose moved into cars. Dad had a '90 or '91 Legend with Bose that sounded... okay. Again, it was very clear and didn't sound heavily EQ'd in the day, but in hindsight, they just bumped the curves to cut through road noise. Also during that time, Dad had a 300zx with Bose and that car sounded pretty good, overall. Reasonable bass and clarity.

But then the "no highs no lows" era started, where Bose spread far and wide, putting their poo poo into everything and it became an option that was expected, but only because people were used to it.

I've got a Bose system in the Escalade, and it sounds much better with a modern head unit, but even with a dedicated subwoofer, its bass is just passable.

In other words -- Bose made its name by bringing in a next-gen sound in a previous era. That name became popular and still brings in moneys, but is probably not much more than average now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Looking to replace the factory stereos in both of our cars. Definitely doing the Jeep before the end of the year and the Prius whenever I get around to it.

I've got a 2012 Toyota Prius-plug in with navigation and back up camera but not the advanced JBL audio.
I've got a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Amp + hidden 6 disc CD changer but it does not have the advanced (Infiniti?) branded speakers.

Couple of criteria for replacement:

Jeep - Must play nice with iphone, have good bluetooth connectivity, does not need CD or DVD. Pretty basic no frills stuff otherwise. No plan on replacing any speakers. Must work with steering wheel controls. If there's a single-DIN unit that has a larger screen for navigation that might be a nice option, but not if its much more expensive.

Prius - Must work well with an Android phone and allow for Waze (or at least Google Maps) navigation on the head unit. Strongly prefer good bluetooth connection to the phone. Needs to work with the existing backup cam and retain steering wheel controls. Not planning on replacing any speakers.

For both of these I am fine with running with the cheapest option that fulfills criteria that is not complete junk. The Prius navigation is largely crap and so is dealing with Entune. I'd rather put the large screen to good use and not have to clip my phone up to use navigation on a car with a larger screen. (Is there a total firmware hack / overhaul for the default Prius stereo maybe?)

The Jeep gets very rare use and mostly just want to equip it with hands free calling etc for my wife as she drives it the most.

I've not shopped for or installed any car stereo stuff since head units playing MP3's natively was a hot new feature so there's a ton of lingo and options etc that I just don't even know about now.

Any other suggestions on accessory parts, like mounting kits, harnesses etc that I'd need would be nice.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

To be fair, for their compact size, those Bose Wave radios were pretty impressive when they first came out, but that was decades ago. The modern versions still sound good enough for the average rube. My uncle listens strictly to classical and opera, and he absolutely loves his newer wave radio with the CD changer add on. I’m not gonna argue with him about it since I saved his old Allied/Pioneer tube receiver and a pair of Maggies from ending up in the dump when he “upgraded”. His old system was way too powerful for the small room he had them in anyway, so the Bose actually fits his space better, and if he’s happy with the sound, who am I to judge?

But yeah, Bose are typically overpriced but aren’t terrible sounding. Personally, I don’t have much experience with their car audio stuff, but coincidentally, tonight I was chatting with a friend about what aftermarket audio stuff I was thinking about putting in my new car, and for whatever reason, he began trashing Bose even though he has a Bose system in his Escalade that he admits sounds pretty great for a factory system. I’m still not sure what he was trying to say, but i guess it just furthers my point that Bose generally sounds good, and at times can be great, but usually you’re paying a premium for the name and there’s much better stuff out there for more reasonable prices.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So I installed a new Android iDrive replacement in my BMW E92; it functions by piggybacking off of the original CIC navigation system/head unit. Unfortunately it routes all the audio through the AUX port in the factory system, the quality of which I would describe as "rear end poo poo." I can't use the USB input anymore, which sounded great. Is there something I can buy that will fix this? Would a new amp or processor or whatever do anything?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I just learned an annoying, but harmless lesson.

If you're putting an aftermarket stereo into a Subaru, you need to hook up the blue (power antenna) wire. Why? They use an antenna amplifier that gets its power from the power antenna wire. At least some models do. I left it disconnected, because I don't have a power antenna (just an in-window antenna), and planned to hook up a sub/amp later.

Thanks to Darchangel for telling me where I hosed up. Easy fix, just annoying having to pull the dash back apart to connect a wire.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 21, 2019

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

If you're putting an aftermarket stereo into a Subaru, you need to hook up the blue (power antenna) wire. Why? They use an antenna amplifier that gets its power from the power antenna wire. At least some models do. I left it disconnected, because I don't have a power antenna (just an in-window antenna), and planned to hook up a sub/amp later.

Thanks to Darchangel for telling me where I hosed up. Easy fix, just annoying having to pull the dash back apart to connect a wire.

ZJ's with the Infinity system are the same way...

I was so confused when I got sound out of the radio but nothing from any other source.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I was so confused when I got sound out of the radio but nothing from any other source.

I did the same thing on my WJ.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Antenna amplifier, since it has a weird antenna embedded in a rear quarter window. Not a speaker amp. I got very weak radio reception on FM, analog only (I have an HD Radio capable stereo), and no AM. Every other source sounded fine. Now that the antenna amp is hooked up, I get crystal clear radio on AM, FM, and HD.

Sounds like your head unit had a power antenna wire, and you hooked it up to the factory amp instead? Mine doesn't have a dedicated power antenna wire, just a remote turn-on wire that gets shared with anything that needs to come on with the stereo.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

Antenna amplifier, since it has a weird antenna embedded in a rear quarter window. Not a speaker amp. I got very weak radio reception on FM, analog only (I have an HD Radio capable stereo), and no AM. Every other source sounded fine. Now that the antenna amp is hooked up, I get crystal clear radio on AM, FM, and HD.

Sounds like your head unit had a power antenna wire, and you hooked it up to the factory amp instead? Mine doesn't have a dedicated power antenna wire, just a remote turn-on wire that gets shared with anything that needs to come on with the stereo.

Oh, yup. I didn't grok that's what you were talking about at first. The ZJ was the same way (one trigger), but the HU I had had two 12v trigger outputs, one for antenna and one for amp.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pioneer?

I haven't personally owned any aftermarket head units that had a separate amp and antenna power wire, except for Pioneer. And even then, my last Pioneer only had 1, despite being very middle of the line for their single DIN line. I jumped ship to Kenwood because I had a couple of very specific requirements that I could only find on Kenwood at the time (single DIN, have 2 phones paired AT THE SAME TIME for phone calls, HD radio, and aptx). aptX was more of a "really want" instead of an absolute, the 2 phone thing was an absolute absolute since I still worked in the gig economy at the time (and had a dedicated work phone).

Still have the dedicated work phone for the 3 or 4 days a month I work gig jobs, but downgraded it to a $20/mo plan since I do gig work so seldom now. It mostly just sits in the glove box these days, but it's still a tax writeoff since I still do gig work occasionally. And somehow a zombie debt chaser got ahold of that number when I've never given it to anybody except gig economy companies (and it's a prepaid line through a business reseller, the caller ID shows "Teltik Comm" on a landline and a New Jersey address for 800 numbers). :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 22, 2019

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
I wasted a bunch of money on a new stereo and it sounds awesome. Went with a 9 channel full active setup.

Source – Factory iDrive System
Processing – Helix DSP
Primary Amplifier - Mosconi PRO 5/30
Secondary Amplifier - Mosconi PRO 4/10
Auxiliary Amplifier - Alpine 2-Channel PowerPack
Front Stage - Dynaudio Passive Esotar/Esotec Reference Component System
Middle Stage - Jehnert XE200 Premium Shallow Under Seat Woofers
Rear Stage - Morel Tempo Ultra Integra 402 Point-Source Coaxial Components
Subwoofer - Morel Ultimo SC Titanium 10”
Fitment - Custom amplification storage, subwoofer fab, and preset/bass selector.

Custom fabricated sub enclosure

The amplifier mounting system drops down for easy access for tuning and service.

The seat release was relocated to the bottom of the amplifier rack.

Easy access for Bass level control, as well as a button to select between preset tune files switching front seat priority vs front and back seat.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

STR posted:

My Sony Ax100 doesn't have good FM reception. Is this related?? Do you have a diagram?

2010 Outback 3.6 with HK audio.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That Works posted:

Looking to replace the factory stereos in both of our cars. Definitely doing the Jeep before the end of the year and the Prius whenever I get around to it.

I've got a 2012 Toyota Prius-plug in with navigation and back up camera but not the advanced JBL audio.
I've got a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Amp + hidden 6 disc CD changer but it does not have the advanced (Infiniti?) branded speakers.

Couple of criteria for replacement:

Jeep - Must play nice with iphone, have good bluetooth connectivity, does not need CD or DVD. Pretty basic no frills stuff otherwise. No plan on replacing any speakers. Must work with steering wheel controls. If there's a single-DIN unit that has a larger screen for navigation that might be a nice option, but not if its much more expensive.

Prius - Must work well with an Android phone and allow for Waze (or at least Google Maps) navigation on the head unit. Strongly prefer good bluetooth connection to the phone. Needs to work with the existing backup cam and retain steering wheel controls. Not planning on replacing any speakers.

For both of these I am fine with running with the cheapest option that fulfills criteria that is not complete junk. The Prius navigation is largely crap and so is dealing with Entune. I'd rather put the large screen to good use and not have to clip my phone up to use navigation on a car with a larger screen. (Is there a total firmware hack / overhaul for the default Prius stereo maybe?)

The Jeep gets very rare use and mostly just want to equip it with hands free calling etc for my wife as she drives it the most.

I've not shopped for or installed any car stereo stuff since head units playing MP3's natively was a hot new feature so there's a ton of lingo and options etc that I just don't even know about now.

Any other suggestions on accessory parts, like mounting kits, harnesses etc that I'd need would be nice.

So, nothing on this then?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mattdev posted:

Easy access for Bass level control, as well as a button to select between preset tune files switching front seat priority vs front and back seat.

Clean install, but that /////////////////MMMMMMM has to be reported to the BMW thread for mockery. You know better.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

My Sony Ax100 doesn't have good FM reception. Is this related?? Do you have a diagram?

2010 Outback 3.6 with HK audio.

It might be. No diagram needed, just hook up the blue wire in your adapter harness to the remote turn on lead on your head unit (it'll be blue, or blue with a white stripe). You probably already have it hooked up to the factory amps, you'll need to add the power antenna wire to that connection if it's not in there. You did use an adapter harness, right?

If that's hooked up properly, some year models are prone to the power wire to the antenna amplifier in the tailgate harness breaking (2nd gen has the antenna in the left rear quarter glass with the amp just below, later ones put it in the tailgate glass w/amp in the tailgate). Also a ground wire. Need to put a meter on the antenna amplifier and make sure it's getting power and ground if everything is hooked up right.

Hit up subaruoutback.org, their forums have some good info.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Clean install, but that /////////////////MMMMMMM has to be reported to the BMW thread for mockery. You know better.
Lmao if you think it will be met with mockery.

OP does yours have the MOST connector? How'd you handle that?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

Pioneer?

I haven't personally owned any aftermarket head units that had a separate amp and antenna power wire, except for Pioneer. And even then, my last Pioneer only had 1, despite being very middle of the line for their single DIN line. I jumped ship to Kenwood because I had a couple of very specific requirements that I could only find on Kenwood at the time (single DIN, have 2 phones paired AT THE SAME TIME for phone calls, HD radio, and aptx). aptX was more of a "really want" instead of an absolute, the 2 phone thing was an absolute absolute since I still worked in the gig economy at the time (and had a dedicated work phone).

Old Kenwood Excelon. Reminded me that fancy-screen decks are the ones that end up non-functional...

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

mattdev posted:

I wasted a bunch of money on a new stereo and it sounds awesome. Went with a 9 channel full active setup.

Source – Factory iDrive System
Processing – Helix DSP
Primary Amplifier - Mosconi PRO 5/30
Secondary Amplifier - Mosconi PRO 4/10
Auxiliary Amplifier - Alpine 2-Channel PowerPack
Front Stage - Dynaudio Passive Esotar/Esotec Reference Component System
Middle Stage - Jehnert XE200 Premium Shallow Under Seat Woofers
Rear Stage - Morel Tempo Ultra Integra 402 Point-Source Coaxial Components
Subwoofer - Morel Ultimo SC Titanium 10”
Fitment - Custom amplification storage, subwoofer fab, and preset/bass selector.

Custom fabricated sub enclosure

The amplifier mounting system drops down for easy access for tuning and service.

The seat release was relocated to the bottom of the amplifier rack.

Nice clean SQ install.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Old Kenwood Excelon. Reminded me that fancy-screen decks are the ones that end up non-functional...

Sup Excelon buddy? Mine's a much lower end single DIN one, but I'm guessing they did away with separate amp and antenna leads on newer models?

Or is that just on the lower end Excelons? I got mine because of a VERY specific set of features - two phones can be paired at once (I was working gig economy jobs at the time, and had a dedicated work phone), and aptX support (nice to have, but not the end of the world). Also, I'd just put a low end Kenwood in GF's car before I bought this one; I was really impressed with the feature set and sound quality on an $80 Kenwood, so I jumped on a higher end one...

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 24, 2019

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My radio isn't turning on after the car was out of commission for 2 years, including a drained battery. What's the first few things to check? I need to reattach the faceplate but it seems connected fine, just might as well reseat it.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My radio isn't turning on after the car was out of commission for 2 years, including a drained battery. What's the first few things to check? I need to reattach the faceplate but it seems connected fine, just might as well reseat it.

Check to see if you have power to the stereo with a digital multimeter first. If you have power to the stereo, replace the fuse for the stereo. If you don't have power, the hunt it's on.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You didn't happen to hook up the battery (or jumper cables) backwards, even for a split second (just enough to give a spark), did you?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I just bought a Kenwood Excelon DMX906S and it has a separate antenna power wire, so it’s not just the old ones.

Currently wiring the harness, and next time, I’m paying the $25 to have Crutchfield do it for me. Not that it’s difficult but I’m impatient, although part of the reason I didn’t have them do it this time is because it was gonna delay the delivery by a day or two and I didn’t want to wait.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Not sure if this is the thread for this, but it is car stereo adjacent. I'm going to pick up a Kenwood double din unit, and was also planning on getting a Kenwood backup camera. I've installed enough radios where I'm not worried about that, but I'm not sure about the backup camera. Mainly, what is the best way to power it? Does the radio know when I'm in reverse to show the camera? Do I wire the camera to reverse lights, or to a constant power source?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

STR posted:

You didn't happen to hook up the battery (or jumper cables) backwards, even for a split second (just enough to give a spark), did you?

No, but the body shop did completely drain the old battery to the point it wouldn't even try to crank. I replaced it though.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Mainly, what is the best way to power it? Does the radio know when I'm in reverse to show the camera? Do I wire the camera to reverse lights, or to a constant power source?

On my vehicle there is a wire on the harness that is hot when in reverse. Some people have to wire that wire on their radio harness back to their reverse light, which often is a red wire that comes out of both ends of the video cable so you only have to route one wire. It's up to you if you want your camera to only have power when in reverse. Some people prefer that, some people prefer to be able to manually switch to that camera while not in reverse.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

On my vehicle there is a wire on the harness that is hot when in reverse. Some people have to wire that wire on their radio harness back to their reverse light, which often is a red wire that comes out of both ends of the video cable so you only have to route one wire. It's up to you if you want your camera to only have power when in reverse. Some people prefer that, some people prefer to be able to manually switch to that camera while not in reverse.

I found a wire harness diagram, and there are +/- wires labeled camera power, so I assume I can probably use those? If I would guess that would be the wire that is powered when in reverse.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Try to find a copy of the camera installation and/or owner's manual (if you don't have the physical manuals and camera by now) - a lot of backup cameras will burn out their image sensors if they're constantly powered.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sooo, hoping to get a recommendation on the best double din in the $500 range. Most important thing is it has nav, and compatible with backup cameras. Don't really care about preamps, or playing DVDs. Android Auto would be cool too.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I absolutely love my Pioneer AVH-2550NEX. Easily does all that. Currently $300 on Crutchfield. I recommend the iDatalink Maestro with it depending on what capabilities your vehicle has.

Well, I'm not sure if you want Nav outside of Android Auto. I always use Android Auto for Nav.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Sooo, hoping to get a recommendation on the best double din in the $500 range. Most important thing is it has nav, and compatible with backup cameras. Don't really care about preamps, or playing DVDs. Android Auto would be cool too.

Why would you want built in nav if it has Android Auto? Google Maps is going to be far more up to date than anything built in to the head unit. If you're worried about connectivity on a road trip, you can always download offline maps for the areas you plan to travel through.

The above mentioned unit is "navigation ready", but I assume that means you need to purchase a GPS antenna (and possibly receiver) for it, plus download maps (which will always be more out of date than Google Maps).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

Why would you want built in nav if it has Android Auto?

I used to think the same thing, but my car came with factory nav and I've gotten used to always having a map showing me where I am and what traffic is like (without using valuable data and/or slowing the charge rate of my phone). I wouldn't pay extra for it, but it's certainly nice to have.

My question: I have an MR2 with t-tops and want a CarPlay head unit that you can see in direct sunlight. Does anyone have experience with the anti-glare screen protectors that are sold and/or suggestions for a head unit that would work well in direct sunlight? I have other requirements but they are all trumped by needing to sort of work in direct sunlight.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Look for something with an AMOLED screen - they're significantly brighter than a typical LCD.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I can't find a head unit with that type of screen :( Is there one that's out there that I'm not finding?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I honestly have no idea. :smith:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
My XC90 has 12 (i think) speakers installed and 16 locations where they can be mounted. How many channels can I drive with a typical double-din headunit? I'm guessing it is typical to combine tweeter/woofer pairs with crossovers and/or reduce the number of total speakers?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

The nav thing, I've run into problems before where I'm traveling somewhere out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service, and couldn't navigate my way back. This was a while ago, is that still something I need to worry about with newer phones?

Edit: Oh this was addressed, I'm dumb. Sometimes this happens unexpectedly, in places where I would expect to have service and then don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I mean it's been pointed out, but you do have to do a little finegaling to get Google Maps to download maps of a particular route.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en