Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

hostile apostle posted:

You're correct, products have to be built and tested - and that takes time and people to do. Webpages don't spring up from the ground. Sometimes things have to be prioritized to make a launch date.

... how is making an app that only runs on certain phones easier than making a webpage that accomplishes the same thing, for everybody?

And why did they have to cut so much that people are unsatisfied with the launch just to make an arbitrary date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Lambert posted:

So basically, you have two options. Neither are fiber. One is bad, and the other you won't consider for brand loyalty options.

Maybe I'm not making myself clear, but I'm not avoiding AT&T's "fiber" option due to brand loyalty, I'm avoiding it because the performance is worse than what I have via Cox. They claim "fiber" which is true from them to the Node, but since I live in an apartment that was converted from a condo built in the 70's the actual infrastructure between the Node and my unit doesn't support fiber speeds. This is pretty common, for a company to say fiber the the reality is you do not get anywhere near that speed. Cox is my best option sadly.

Speaking of data caps, unless i have a Cable TV package they send nasty grams for going over the data cap (1 TB) - after I added the Tv/HBO a few years ago they completely stopped caring about me going 30-50% over the cap each month. I guess this is just how it is these days :911:

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

shadow puppet of a posted:

Exactly, you gotta take your time and make sure they don't launch without ICQ and MSN functionality. You'd be a laughing stock othewise.

You're literally mocking the functionality of some outsourced software

Mozi posted:

... how is making an app that only runs on certain phones easier than making a webpage that accomplishes the same thing, for everybody?

And why did they have to cut so much that people are unsatisfied with the launch just to make an arbitrary date?

by runs on certain phones you mean any phone thats 5 years old or younger? I can't speak for why they prioritized certain features over others - but no service launches every single feature day one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

hostile apostle posted:

You're correct, products have to be built and tested - and that takes time and people to do. Webpages don't spring up from the ground. Sometimes things have to be prioritized to make a launch date.

And the result is a product that is cratering and getting overwhelmingly bad press and is going to have to spend months or years burning money and doing work to get back to a point they could have been at if they waited one loving week.

Google is the stupidest company on Earth.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

hostile apostle posted:

It clearly outsourced itself without anyone on the team going "we need this functionality from 1998", yes.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

gschmidl posted:

It clearly outsourced itself without anyone on the team going "we need this functionality from 1998", yes.

Sorry that the presence of a text box hurt you so much, maybe you can ask Google to cover the cost of your therapy

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Hostile, I remember when my first product launched and I felt the need to defend it everywhere. I get that you work for stadia in some way and are passionate about the launch. You feel personally attacked because the thing you had a part in making is a giant pile of turds, but jesus loving christ give it a rest.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hostile apostle posted:

Sorry that the presence of a text box hurt you so much, maybe you can ask Google to cover the cost of your therapy

Sorry about it implying this poo poo was phoned in from the start

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Caring about a ICQ field on a profile page is stupid and dumb. Caring about needing a phone with the latest version of android installed to setup your video game streaming service that works through the browser on your computer is valid and rational.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Because honestly why would the development of a social gaming platform involve the design of a player profile system that isn't borrowed from vBulletin circa 1996

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

American McGay posted:

Caring about a ICQ field on a profile page is stupid and dumb.

I don't care about it, I just find it funny

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

hostile apostle posted:

Plz outsource ur posts

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Shumagorath posted:

I might have remembered that wrong and confused it with not using LODs, but distinctly recall "don't do that surface texture with normal maps. It must be POLYGONS!"

You may be getting mixed up with how the technique works.
Essentially you make a simple model, but slap some tiling metals on it that don't need uv's. Then you take small pieces of geometry that have normal map details on - chamfers, gradiants, circles, techy gubbins etc and place that geometry just over the surface of the main model. You then project those normal map details onto the base mesh.
It's fast as hell, super efficient and for anything scifi/hard surface, it's a godsend. Very common in a lot of games moving forwards.
I think it was first used on sunset overdrive, of all things.
This is a good overview:
https://youtu.be/66IGMnPgEW0

Back to stadia....

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Right, and I remember reading Star Citizen is not doing that but (at least officially) doing everything with more, tiny triangles and the game lighting engine. Anyway, more for the SC thread.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

by runs on certain phones you mean any phone thats 5 years old or younger? I can't speak for why they prioritized certain features over others - but no service launches every single feature day one.

Hey Maybe they could have also outsourced a web store / portal...

By runs on certain phones you mean like. Only pixel phones...

Also yes lots of services launch with the minimum advertised features.

You're the worst stedia apologist ever.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

hostile apostle posted:

It has nothing to do with the ability to activate on web, but rather what the user does after activation. For now there is no store so how do you get games once you activate?

It's a trick question because Stadia has no gaems

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Right, and I remember reading Star Citizen is not doing that but (at least officially) doing everything with more, tiny triangles and the game lighting engine. Anyway, more for the SC thread.

Yeah, Chris didn't want to "fake" anything so they were using high poly count models as regular game assets for a long time and it's part of the reason the game used to run at 15 fps on high end hardware but they walked that back awhile ago.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

shadow puppet of a posted:

Exactly, you gotta take your time and make sure they don't launch without ICQ and MSN functionality. You'd be a laughing stock othewise.

:allears:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Hey Maybe they could have also outsourced a web store / portal...

By runs on certain phones you mean like. Only pixel phones...

Also yes lots of services launch with the minimum advertised features.

You're the worst stedia apologist ever.

I was on the fence up until a few days ago but I'm now positive that he's a Google employee who worked on this project and it's why he's so personally invested in it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I was mostly joking about that until he literally changed his avatar to the Stadia logo, holy piss

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

There are more active users in this thread than playing free Destiny 2 on Stadia.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was mostly joking about that until he literally changed his avatar to the Stadia logo, holy piss

:ssh: Pretty sure someone else bought that for him.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

univbee posted:

:ssh: Pretty sure someone else bought that for him.

Someone bought him a brown Stadia logo with stink lines. It was that for a short time, then changed to just a Stadia logo, presumably by him. His current avatar is my doing, on a whim.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The post with like 7 unboxing videos and shouting liar over and over at Steve and then completely refusing to engage with me after being confronted with how weird that was did it for me. The logo was just the icing on the cake.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

hostile apostle posted:

It has nothing to do with the ability to activate on web, but rather what the user does after activation. For now there is no store so how do you get games once you activate?

Why...why would you launch a sales product without a store?

Isn't that a bit like launching an airplane without doors? What's the point? Sure it'll work but...why?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

UnknownTarget posted:

Isn't that a bit like launching an airplane without doors? What's the point? Sure it'll work but...why?

Wait til you see what you need to do to purchase in-game content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFpHPFLbCM&t=3697s

Also you need 2 phones to play Just Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFpHPFLbCM&t=1941s

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 22, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

UnknownTarget posted:

U see r plane is a cruise missile until it has been tested enough 2 accept passengers

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait til you see what you need to do to purchase in-game content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFpHPFLbCM&t=3697s

No hold on WHAT

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

You don't need it to log in. It is used once for the set up because there is no web store at launch, though there should be and I'm sure this is temporary at launch. It wouldn't make sense to allow activation on web and then get put into a setting where you can't buy anything to then play.

Doesn't really sound like a launch then does it.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
At this point, I think the most memorable thing about Stadia is this thread.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6y4MnlFLNE

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hostile apostle posted:

They didn't prioritize effectively, nor did they take the time to push back their launch until they had everything they needed to launch. People can accept a delay, but getting a product out the door just to meet a deadline, quality be damned, that's a good way to be out of a job.

Customers don't care if you hand them something that is unfinished about why, unless it is specifically a beta.

And keep in mind, there's a difference between iteration and unfinished. Okay - not being able to share game content with YouTube - I can accept that coming at a later point. Not being able to buy games on the PC, that's unfinished.

And given the size of Google, don't you think they could have borrowed people to help them with the store front for PCs?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also you need 2 phones to play Just Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFpHPFLbCM&t=1941s

The Just Dance second phone requirement is truly beautiful. It doesn't have the scope of incompetence that the link and code to buy in game content does, but it is absolutely insane.

Every single problem I've seen with Stadia points to just colossal mismanagement of the service/project. It's clear that each team got their directive, and did it to the best of their ability in the time given (besides maybe the message board.) But it's way more clear that it was not designed or scheduled out at all.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

Count me as the idiot who spend $129 on a $70 chromecast ultra and a $70 controller to play RDR2 (which I have not played yet) in actual 4K 60fps and not some upscaled fake 4k on a $350 PS4 Pro which I don't have.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cemetry Gator posted:

but getting a product out the door just to meet a deadline, quality be damned, that's a good way to be out of a job.

uh it's also a great way to establish yourself as a scrum master

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait til you see what you need to do to purchase in-game content:

You can't activate it in-browser, it's just not done. This is normal, they concentrated on the app.

You gotta buy IAP in the browser, the phone app's just not done. This is normal, they concentrated on the browser.

:wtc:

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Pretty sure the reviewer made a typo in typing in that chromecast (not browser, not app) in-game purchase link, the link def works for anyone even if you're not signed in: http://g.co/stadia/buy

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Jim Jones would be jealous of whatever koolaid they have over there at stadia holy poo poo.