Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A gag reel during the end credits would go a long way in making these movies better, I would argue.

Like Jackie Chan used to do with stunt outtakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Falling down a pit has never killed anyone in star wars

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The Star Wars universe just has really strict OSHA regulations.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Darth Maul would have died from being sliced in half, but then he fell in a pit which cancelled out the death

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hell Han's still probably alive and kicking somewhere

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Hell Han's still probably alive and kicking somewhere

A small portion of Act 3 of TROS will be the gang looking for a pit deep enough to toss Leia down into, so she can be brought back. I assume this will be where Keri Russell's character comes into play.

"I know of a good pit, but it'll cost you!"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Does falling off cloud city count as a pit? Is Luke's shoe ok? :ohdear:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

Does falling off cloud city count as a pit? Is Luke's shoe ok? :ohdear:

Coincidentally enough, Luke's shoe is probably going to be in TROS, in a scene involving Jedi psychometry.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp

Brother Entropy posted:

surely the clone was sheev and thus the original was shev

:vince:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Brother Entropy posted:

surely the clone was sheev and thus the original was shev

:gowron:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

well why not posted:

[Me, seeing a Christian] oh gently caress it’s the pope

Is this in reference to something?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Seems that JJ has a fetish. Spaceships rising out of oceans (everything to do with it)

Always reminds me of that Futurama episode. "How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?" "Well, it's a spaceship, so between zero and one."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Payndz posted:

Seems that JJ has a fetish. Spaceships rising out of oceans (everything to do with it)
He just loves putting spaceships on the ground.

The Enterprise was built on the ground in Star Trek, it rises out of the ocean in Into Darkness (and then the Vengeance crashes), the most memorable shot on Jakku is of a downed Star Destroyer, Starkiller base is a spaceship that is the ground, etc etc

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gonz posted:

A gag reel during the end credits would go a long way in making these movies better, I would argue.

Like Jackie Chan used to do with stunt outtakes.

the credits should be solo front profile shots of the cast looking and smiling at the camera like the end of Predator.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I got Sheevs

they're multiplying

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

to be fair huge starships on the ground or in the water is pretty spectacular and all those visuals are really memorable

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Mandrel posted:

to be fair huge starships on the ground or in the water is pretty spectacular and all those visuals are really memorable

So is a fever dream.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TerminalRaptor posted:

So is a fever dream.

disney star wars could do with some more fever dream frankly

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Is this in reference to something?

It's mocking the latest placemat theory that Kylo is a Sith (and/or that Palpatine wasn't a 'real' Sith).

To be clear, since there's evidently a lot of confusion, there are only three Siths in the Star Wars movies: Darth Sidious, Darth Maul, and Darth Vader. (Dooku was working undercover as a Sith, but self-identified as a Jedi.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He just loves putting spaceships on the ground.

That's just low tide. At around 6 o'clock the space comes in and then it can drive off.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
emperor: i'm alive
rey: but, you fell into a pit!
emperor: hahaha, fool! falling into a pit means nothing!
kylo: [has look of concern while remembering han falling into pit]
emperor: [shoves kylo into pit]
rey: ah nooo! kylo's dead now, because he fell into a pit!
emperor: [raising hands menacingly] and now... you shall fall into a pit.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Pretty sure Dooku was a Sith. Palpatine even calls him a Sith within earshot and he doesn't bother correcting him

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Pretty sure Dooku was a Sith. Palpatine even calls him a Sith within earshot and he doesn't bother correcting him

wouldn't be a very good cover if he corrected the guy he's lying to

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Sith Lords are our speciality.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CharlestonJew posted:

He’s working undercover as a Sith. When Palpatine’s not around, he tries to convince the other Jedi to join him and kill Palpatine. He’s acting shady about it, though, because he has a secondary goal of taking over the Republic and putting the Jedi directly in charge.

Windu actually ends up agreeing with Dooku: bringing a team of Jedi to assassinate the democratically-elected Palpatine is exactly what Dooku asked for.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it's a good thing I didn't pay attention to the EU cuz that sounds dumb as hell

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CharlestonJew posted:

it's a good thing I didn't pay attention to the EU cuz that sounds dumb as hell

It’s the plot of Episode 2 and 3.

Count Dooku: What if I told you that the Republic was now under the control of a dark lord of the Sith?

Obi-Wan: No, that's not possible. The Jedi would sense it.

Count Dooku: The Dark Side has clouded their vision.

Obi-Wan: I don't believe you.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s the plot of Episode 2 and 3.

like I said, dumb as hell

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CharlestonJew posted:

like I said, dumb as hell

What’s the objection?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like the training helmet

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

What’s the objection?

Watching the films is cheating.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ruddiger posted:

the credits should be solo front profile shots of the cast looking and smiling at the camera like the end of Predator.

More movies should do this in general tbh. I just watched The Lighthouse last night and even that movie would be elevated by it.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

She looks like Jared Leto's Joker.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

What’s the objection?

2 things come to mind:

1)if he's trying to convince the Jedi to turn on Palpatine you'd think he'd put more effort into trying to talk to Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda instead of having big choreographed fights with them

2)Dooku's got Palpatine strapped to a chair surrounded by an army of robots, even if Palpatine is Force gently caress-Master Supreme Dooku's still got pretty good odds of killing him right then and there. Worst case scenario Dooku tries to kill Palpatine in front of Obi-Wan and Anakin, Palpatine kills Dooku, and Obi-Wan and Anakin find out Palpatine is a Sith Lord.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sassassin posted:

Watching the films is cheating.

Well it is understandable that they’re confused/upset, because the prequels do an insanely good job of concealing the fact that Dooku is a ‘good guy’ fighting to save the Jedi from corruption. Even though Dooku openly states this, and even though Yoda and Windu ultimately agree with Dooku’s “political idealism”, fans side with Obiwan and simply disbelieve the obvious. They tune it out, because he wears a black cape.

“The Dark Side has clouded their vision.”

This is where it’s good to be really clear: although people talk about a ‘rule of two’, there is, strictly speaking, only one Sith in the entire series: Palpatine, the Sith Master. Palpatine is THE Sith, and he is never supplanted. Palpatine may award the title of Sith to a single subordinate of his choosing, but he has no actual intention of allowing that person to become a Master like him. There are tales and legends of other Sith, but we never see them.

(So although Yoda says “there are always two”, the actual rule is that there are never more than two. Palpatine only ever chooses one Chosen One to be his flunky, at a time.)

CharlestonJew posted:

1)if he's trying to convince the Jedi to turn on Palpatine you'd think he'd put more effort into trying to talk to Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda instead of having big choreographed fights with them

Dooku is a ‘political idealist’ who despises corruption, and those characters have been corrupted - clouded by the Dark Side. From his point of view, those particular Jedi are evil.

quote:

2)Dooku's got Palpatine strapped to a chair surrounded by an army of robots, even if Palpatine is Force gently caress-Master Supreme Dooku's still got pretty good odds of killing him right then and there. Worst case scenario Dooku tries to kill Palpatine in front of Obi-Wan and Anakin, Palpatine kills Dooku, and Obi-Wan and Anakin find out Palpatine is a Sith Lord.

Palpatine is pretending to be in danger. He does the same trick to Windu, and then to Luke. Dooku is presumably aware of this.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Is Dooku ever actually called Darth Tyranus in the movies?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Uncle Wemus posted:

Sheev called him 'Lord Tyranus' after he arrived on Coruscant at the end of AOTC.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

All the prequel darths are pretty cagey about their names and for good reason

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Uncle Wemus posted:

Jango calls him Darth Tyranus when he's talking with Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan brings it up to Yoda who confirms it is a Sith title. "With the forename Darth, a Sith he must be."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yoda is high as gently caress in that scene though