Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

DalaranJ posted:

You know who makes the best pizza? Edge Knot City.

I finally got every porter to 5 stars, pizza ended it for me, fittingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raptor1033 posted:

Oh hey, if I hit a MULE so hard with my vehicle that I got blood splatter on the windshield; does that mean a trip to the incinerator is in my near future?

probably not, did it make the kid freak out? If yes, RRROOOOADKILLLL. If no, your high speed vehicle impact merely knocked out the post-apocalyptic cargo raider and you can continue on your journey.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i was going to start a new game because i can't stop thinking about it but i'm going to be a responsible adult and wait for the pc release instead

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok more story questions. So I'm confused when the 5th DS actually happens. Some sources say the 5th and current DS happens when Amelie/Bridget brings Sam back from the beach when he dies as BB. But that doesn't make any sense since Bridges the company already exists and I thought Bridges was founded after the DS. Also they are doing BB experiments on Sam at the time which is also something that should be happening post DS. Also why is Bridget wearing a die hard mask? :confused:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maya Fey posted:

i was going to start a new game because i can't stop thinking about it but i'm going to be a responsible adult and wait for the pc release instead

Yeah I’m already tempted to play again. Gonna give it some time though and let myself forget about stuff before I jump back in.

Can you reload an old save when you start a new game or is your progress gone forever?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
God, this game. When it's rewarding, it's soooo much fun. Other times, it just hoses you. I mean, just reeeaaaaly hoses you. Save scumming when in a new area seems to be the thing to do. Otherwise, prepare to repeat an hour+ of DS's strand-type game gameplay.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

UltraRed posted:

God, this game. When it's rewarding, it's soooo much fun. Other times, it just hoses you. I mean, just reeeaaaaly hoses you. Save scumming when in a new area seems to be the thing to do. Otherwise, prepare to repeat an hour+ of DS's strand-type game gameplay.

I've been playing for at least like 25-30 hours and haven't come across anything like this.

Also bulldozing MULEs with a truck is the best way to handle MULE camps. Haven't tried it with terrorists yet, do their guns wreak havoc on trucks?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

what's the point of a 800kg floating carrier if you can't possibly ever hit that cap before you hit the height cap? Same with the Power Exoskeleton?

Highest I've ever got was 250~ or so on the exoskeleton, and counting Sam's buffs, it's nowhere near too much. That was a problem before exos but lol

also how dangerous are terrorists on hard w/ 4 armor plates? Riot Shotgun is loving badass. One shot, BOOM. Slowmo into the next goon, BOOM :black101:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
will really dense stuff like special alloy or whatever get to that weight?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno, last time I went honking into a mule camp with a truck one of them got ragdoll-stuck in my hood and basically acted as my battering ram for everything else I ran into. He ended up dying and I had to keep playing demolition derby all the way to the incinerator hoping he’d dislodge so I could properly dispose of him

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok more story questions. So I'm confused when the 5th DS actually happens. Some sources say the 5th and current DS happens when Amelie/Bridget brings Sam back from the beach when he dies as BB. But that doesn't make any sense since Bridges the company already exists and I thought Bridges was founded after the DS. Also they are doing BB experiments on Sam at the time which is also something that should be happening post DS. Also why is Bridget wearing a die hard mask? :confused:

You're right, that doesn't fit the timeline - BTs were already on earth before the BB program was started (it's mentioned that someone created the first BB on accident and saw a BT as a result) and Sam wasn't even the start of the BB program. She's wearing the mask because the BB program was supposed to be shut down and she was continuing it in secret, and wearing a mask obviously makes it impossible for anyone to recognize the President of the United States.

UltraRed posted:

I actually never once saved or loaded my game. The fact that there's in-world respawn mechanic made me mentally file the game alongside Dark Souls and the like, and put me in the mindset to just play through my catastrophic fuckups.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I’m unsure if the exact timing relative to the events of the game, but the DS begins when a surgeon performs a cesarean on a brain dead woman in Manhattan and cuts the umbilical cord, triggering a voidout that destroys the city. I can’t remember if this is ever mentioned outside of interview logs but there’s a few about it. So by the time the game starts, the stranding is in full swing yeah.

I don’t understand the mask either. For die hard man I get it, because he’s trying to hide his ID to fake his death but I don’t understand why Bridget had it at all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just did the Chiral Artist - Junk Dealer orders. So with other missions you can get the cargo destroyed and just re-requisition it, but uh is it possible to get the artist killed here

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just did the Chiral Artist - Junk Dealer orders. So with other missions you can get the cargo destroyed and just re-requisition it, but uh is it possible to get the artist killed here

I'm sure you can just 3D print a new one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You’ll have to investigate for us.

But first take her to some hot springs

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I assume you just get a game over. I got one when I was delivering mission critical cargo and got sucked into a void out (I stacked it too high and it fell into the mud)

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I haven't tried it, but I assume it's just a game-over like if you choose to deliver the nuke to south-knot city.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I’m such a klutz, I keep spilling Mom and I’m on like my eighth Mom

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Got bowled over by a falling boulder delivering the antimatter bomb to mountain knot city and that was a game over.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Hungry Computer posted:

I haven't tried it, but I assume it's just a game-over like if you choose to deliver the nuke to south-knot city.

I...uh....did this. I somehow missed that I needed to talk to Fragile at the distribution center and waltzed right to South Knot because I expected some kind of cutscene to happen before I could blow up the city. welp

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

You’ll have to investigate for us.

But first take her to some hot springs

Also press the touchpad. Also press the touchpad after you got the harmonica.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of game overs (endgame spoiler) i appreciate the fakeout towards the end of the game, where amelie acts like you have to choose between letting her kill the world or stopping her; but if you “choose” the bad ending it’s just a game over. I appreciate that kojima was with me as I thought “why on earth would I choose that”

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Triarii posted:

You're right, that doesn't fit the timeline - BTs were already on earth before the BB program was started (it's mentioned that someone created the first BB on accident and saw a BT as a result) and Sam wasn't even the start of the BB program. She's wearing the mask because the BB program was supposed to be shut down and she was continuing it in secret, and wearing a mask obviously makes it impossible for anyone to recognize the President of the United States.

I actually never once saved or loaded my game. The fact that there's in-world respawn mechanic made me mentally file the game alongside Dark Souls and the like, and put me in the mindset to just play through my catastrophic fuckups.

I had to save scum just one time so far: when I drove a half truckload of poo poo from Mountain region to the weather station, and got an education on how partial delivery works when I somehow deposited only one out of ten doodads, didn't choose partial, and the rest of them just spontaneously erased themselves.

Edit: I'll defend some of the perceived un-intuitiveness of the menus in the game because it's in support of a really flexible and eventually logical system once you get what it's trying to do but the partial delivery options and "entrust" being a default for lost cargo every single time you drop off anything while holding it are baaaaad.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 22, 2019

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I had one of my only savescums yesterday taking Mama's body to heartman's

I took a very bad route that had no way up and I didn't want to talk all the way around so I just loaded my last save which was just before I left.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Been save scumming a little to S rank missions for the platinum. There's an order to take over a ton(ne?) of stuff from South Knot to the Geologist on a time limit and that last hill is a pain to truck up. In fact I had to get to a nearby zip and carry 4 boxes at a time from there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I...uh....did this. I somehow missed that I needed to talk to Fragile at the distribution center and waltzed right to South Knot because I expected some kind of cutscene to happen before I could blow up the city. welp

This was kind of a weird thing by the way. Nothing with Fragile would happen if I immediately went down to the private room. There's no way to like... call her otherwise. You have to instead go to the distribution center and THEN you'll get the cutscene. I only decided to stop there because surely that should trigger something (which it does). But what if someone is just like "well I don't need to stop I'll just keep going I guess". Why is there no way to trigger the cutscene at the first location?

Triarii posted:

I only reloaded my save one time that I can remember, and that's when you get the quest to go from Heartman's lab to the cross shaped bridge. I tried to go out of my way to avoid a BT area, but made the mistake of not bringing any ladders, so I fell off the ledge of a mountain, but all my stuff fell off of me and got stuck up there. I literally had no way of getting my stuff back, I couldn't climb up it, and I couldn't find my way back around to get up there. So I just gave up and restarted. Kind of sucked because to get to that point, I had to go through a decently sized BT area in the snow so I had to do that a second time

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 22, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Triarii posted:

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m unsure if the exact timing relative to the events of the game, but the DS begins when a surgeon performs a cesarean on a brain dead woman in Manhattan and cuts the umbilical cord, triggering a voidout that destroys the city. I can’t remember if this is ever mentioned outside of interview logs but there’s a few about it. So by the time the game starts, the stranding is in full swing yeah.

I don’t understand the mask either. For die hard man I get it, because he’s trying to hide his ID to fake his death but I don’t understand why Bridget had it at all.

Ok so story events in order:

0)Bridget is born (not sure if this is the right time. She is not the 6th EE yet)
1)Manhattan voidout #1, start of 5th DS (who is the 5th EE?)
2)America/world gets 'sploded, BTs arrive
3)Bridgets soul as a child is stranded from her body due to some traumatic event. Universe makes her the 6th EE. (not sure on the timing of this)
4)Bridget becomes first woman pres through succession? Because the man pres got sploded?
5)Bridges company formed to reconnect America/the world
6)BB program begins
7)BB program ends (continues in secret headed by incognito Bridget)
8)Sam is (still)born to Cliff and Lisa, enters secret BB program at Bridges headed by incognito Bridget who is pres
9)Sam is killed and then reptriated by Bridget/Amelie (is this event supposed to be more significant than just bringing Sam back to life? People have said it made even more BTs?)
10)Sam is raised by Bridget as her son
11)Sam becomes a founding member of Bridges as an adult
12)Sam marries Lucy and impregnates her naming the unborn child Lou
13)Lucy commits suicide (because chirilium? in secret?) causing a voidout(Manhattan voidout #2?) in which Sam is the sole survivor because repatriate
14)Sam leaves Bridges and becomes a porter
15)Game start

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 22, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Macaluso posted:

This was kind of a weird thing by the way. Nothing with Fragile would happen if I immediately went down to the private room. There's no way to like... call her otherwise. You have to instead go to the distribution center and THEN you'll get the cutscene. I only decided to stop there because surely that should trigger something (which it does). But what if someone is just like "well I don't need to stop I'll just keep going I guess". Why is there no way to trigger the cutscene at the first location?

I only reloaded my save one time that I can remember, and that's when you get the quest to go from Heartman's lab to the cross shaped bridge. I tried to go out of my way to avoid a BT area, but made the mistake of not bringing any ladders, so I fell off the ledge of a mountain, but all my stuff fell off of me and got stuck up there. I literally had no way of getting my stuff back, I couldn't climb up it, and I couldn't find my way back around to get up there. So I just gave up and restarted. Kind of sucked because to get to that point, I had to go through a decently sized BT area in the snow so I had to do that a second time

I actually had no idea you could talk to fragile beforehand; I set off the nuke twice before realizing I needed to do something else; the nearby tar lake felt like a clue

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Just before picking up that order Die-Hardman mentions that Fragile is temporarily unavailable for hopping, and that she's doing something at the distro center if you want to talk to her. Also if you were paying attention to the junk dealer and chiral artist telling you about disposing of stuff in the tar lake, and you read the cargo description of the bomb, then it's possible to puzzle out that you should do that to the bomb without needing Fragile to tell you to.

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Spoilers, dudes! Never mind, my bad.

I drove into the city wondering if it would change anything, story wise. By the time I realised Fragile was at central distro I didn't feel like driving all the way back, but thankfully remembered the tar lake.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Gruckles posted:

Just before picking up that order Die-Hardman mentions that Fragile is temporarily unavailable for hopping, and that she's doing something at the distro center if you want to talk to her. Also if you were paying attention to the junk dealer and chiral artist telling you about disposing of stuff in the tar lake, and you read the cargo description of the bomb, then it's possible to puzzle out that you should do that to the bomb without needing Fragile to tell you to.

Do you just skip that cutscene? And more importantly does it change what sort of likes you get because the timer never started?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

The early events of the Stranding are a bit fuzzy but I think some of that is out of order:

1) A doctor accidentally creates a BB while trying to save an unborn baby from its brain-dead mother and sees a BT. I don't think it's clear whether the Death Stranding was already underway at this point but the fact that there were apparently BTs around to be seen suggests to me that it was.
2) The government starts the BB program to try to deliberately recreate those conditions so they can better understand BTs and deal with what's going on. This leads to the voidout in Manhattan, killing the president and allowing VP Bridget Strand to become president. (This was the only voidout in Manhattan; Sam's wife died in a different city. Also presumably there isn't a Manhattan anymore because it's a crater.)
3) The government officially shuts down the BB program, but Bridget continues it in secret because she wants to use them to start the chiral network. Sam is entered into this secret program when his mother suffers brain death in an accident.

I'm not sure there's any particular correlation between Amelie saving Sam and the Stranding getting worse.

Edit: not to suggest that the doctor seeing a BT was the literal beginning of the story. Amelie was around, Beaches had been discovered, and people were experimenting with them prior to that.

Triarii fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 22, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

I feel like it would be easier to ask what part of the story you actually understood at this point.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gruckles posted:

Also if you were paying attention to the junk dealer and chiral artist

Hahaha

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Triarii posted:

The early events of the Stranding are a bit fuzzy but I think some of that is out of order:

1) A doctor accidentally creates a BB while trying to save an unborn baby from its brain-dead mother and sees a BT. I don't think it's clear whether the Death Stranding was already underway at this point but the fact that there were apparently BTs around to be seen suggests to me that it was.
2) The government starts the BB program to try to deliberately recreate those conditions so they can better understand BTs and deal with what's going on. This leads to the voidout in Manhattan, killing the president and allowing VP Bridget Strand to become president. (This was the only voidout in Manhattan; Sam's wife died in a different city. Also presumably there isn't a Manhattan anymore because it's a crater.)
3) The government officially shuts down the BB program, but Bridget continues it in secret because she wants to use them to start the chiral network. Sam is entered into this secret program when his mother suffers brain death in an accident.

I'm not sure there's any particular correlation between Amelie saving Sam and the Stranding getting worse.

Edit: not to suggest that the doctor seeing a BT was the literal beginning of the story. Amelie was around, Beaches had been discovered, and people were experimenting with them prior to that.

I’m rewatching the ending again and Amelie says saving baby Sam and making him a repatriate was the thing that actually let massive amounts of BTs in the world causing void outs. She says saving Sam triggered the Death Stranding not long after and that’s when DOOMs started spreading. I think before that just that one void out in Manhattan happened?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Shaocaholica posted:

0)Bridget is born (not sure if this is the right time. She is not the 6th EE yet)
1)Manhattan voidout #1, start of 5th DS (who is the 5th EE?)
2)America/world gets 'sploded, BTs arrive
3)Bridgets soul as a child is stranded from her body due to some traumatic event. Universe makes her the 6th EE. (not sure on the timing of this)
4)Bridget becomes first woman pres through succession? Because the man pres got sploded?
5)Bridges company formed to reconnect America/the world
6)BB program begins
7)BB program ends (continues in secret headed by incognito Bridget)
8)Sam is (still)born to Cliff and Lisa, enters secret BB program at Bridges headed by incognito Bridget who is pres
9)Sam is killed and then reptriated by Bridget/Amelie (is this event supposed to be more significant than just bringing Sam back to life? People have said it made even more BTs?)
10)Sam is raised by Bridget as her son
11)Sam becomes a founding member of Bridges as an adult
12)Sam marries Lucy and impregnates her naming the unborn child Lou
13)Lucy commits suicide (because chirilium? in secret?) causing a voidout(Manhattan voidout #2?) in which Sam is the sole survivor because repatriate
14)Sam leaves Bridges and becomes a porter
15)Game start

This isn't right. The game's timeline isn't coherent either.

Bridget is always the 6th EE. She is born that way.
She has lots of nightmares.
When she is 20, she 'dies' during an operation and splits into Amelie and Bridget. They are explicitly the same person. She even says "and I woke up and I was aware I was in my body and on the beach at the same time"
A doctor tries to save a baby from a braindead mother which causes a voidout in Manhattan
A year later Cliff gives his wife/baby to the govt.
Bridget and Die-Hardman get excited since the baby (sam) is a perfect BB candidate.
Die-Hardman tries to help Cliff save sam and escape.
Cliff and Sam are killed.
Bridget repatriates Sam and decides to raise him.
The death stranding happens after this sometime. She explicitly says "the death stranding happened shortly after that"
Some time passes
Sam has a wife and kid. They die, there is a voidout. There's no more info about this really.
Sam goes out into the wilderness to be a porter.
10 years later the game starts.

According to what amelie says there were BTs before the death stranding. It's not ever clear why that is. I think we are supposed to assume Bridget's birth (or maybe her split) is what makes people aware or able to detect the beaches.
I don't think we are ever told what causes the death stranding itself and it's kind of handwaved over. She does say Sam's repatriation lets BTs crawl over her beach.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

what's the point of a 800kg floating carrier if you can't possibly ever hit that cap before you hit the height cap? Same with the Power Exoskeleton?

Highest I've ever got was 250~ or so on the exoskeleton, and counting Sam's buffs, it's nowhere near too much. That was a problem before exos but lol

also how dangerous are terrorists on hard w/ 4 armor plates? Riot Shotgun is loving badass. One shot, BOOM. Slowmo into the next goon, BOOM :black101:

You can hook 2 Floating Carriers together at least. I never got Mk3 (is there a Mk3? I haven't 5Starred everything yet though)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Spite posted:

A doctor tries to save a baby from a braindead mother which causes a voidout in Manhattan

I know I just posted this same thing upthread but I re-read the in-game interviews and it turns out I remembered it wrong. This incident is mysteriously labeled as "the doctor's last words" and "an annihilation event" but it isn't what causes the voidout in Manhattan. That happens mysteriously later during the BB experiments and is what kills the president, leaving Bridget in charge.

source:
https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/From_the_Report_on_the_Voidout_in_Manhattan_1
https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/From_the_Report_on_the_Voidout_in_Manhattan_2
https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/From_the_Report_on_the_Voidout_in_Manhattan_3

Based on the above I'm not at all clear if the "who the hell?" moment was a voidout or not. It's only described as "an incident", "an annihilation event", and "the moment that changed everything—the moment the surgeon's hand touched the cord."

I guess this plot was more kojima than i realized

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Spite posted:

According to what amelie says there were BTs before the death stranding. It's not ever clear why that is. I think we are supposed to assume Bridget's birth (or maybe her split) is what makes people aware or able to detect the beaches.
I don't think we are ever told what causes the death stranding itself and it's kind of handwaved over. She does say Sam's repatriation lets BTs crawl over her beach.

Presumably BTs were always around chilling in their antimatter universe or whatever, and maybe floating about on Earth but unable to do anything meaningful due to the lack of ambient chiralium. My assumption is that Bridget/Amelie flexing their powers and discovering Beaches (they mention I think that Bridget's split and discovery of her Beach is what prompts research into Beaches as a whole) starts letting BTs and chiralium out into our universe, and once that happens it's a slippery slope to the end of the world. We see during the game that the ambient chiralium increase created by linking up the network either makes BTs more powerful or allows more of them to slip into reality. And since BTs are basically made of chiralium, this pretty much means that the more BTs you have, the more BTs you'll get. I think this is why Amelie insists that the 6th Extinction is inevitable - at some point another EE will be born, and the process of annihilation is already partway along and (as far as we know) irreversible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Spite posted:

Sam has a wife and kid. They die, there is a voidout. There's no more info about this really.

Sam and his Wife: In the interviews Bridget tells Sam's Wife everything and that causes her to suicide. Then Sam found them and hid them or just let them voidout etc.