Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

But then what would you wear to the NEXT Tool show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

hatelull posted:

But then what would you wear to the NEXT Tool show?

I'm going to wear my Josh Ritter Bringing in the Darlings shirt to see Tool in Philly on the 18th.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Nail Rat posted:

I certainly couldn't find a poster, and I went to a ton of booths. Maybe they they just sold out by 730.

They were limited to 750 so probably sold out.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Tool is a jam band so you might as well make your own tool shirts

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Honestly can’t get enough this excessively-long Pneuma reaction video.

https://youtu.be/-23__zILRgc

These guys have some pretty good videos and are pretty entertaining.

Good video. And honestly pretty refreshing. It's nice every once in a while to take a step back from your super-fandom and all the nitpicky criticism that entails (a point these guys kinda touch on) and get a different perspective, get reminded what it is about the thing that brought you joy in the first place. Not to get all sappy (too late) but I just adore this band. They've meant things to me. Different things at different points in my life. I leaned on them pretty heavily when I was going through some kinda rough poo poo in my late twenties, and I can't imagine any other band that would've been there for me in the same way and done what I needed them to do quite like Tool. They lifted me up. Which is not to say that I was on suicide watch or anything, but I found solace in them, inspiration even, and they're comforting to me in a way no other music is. Whatever my mood, whatever I need in a given moment, those four dudes can provide. I really do love them.

Right In Two still sucks though.

Skitz fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 7, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

angrygodofjebus posted:

They were limited to 750 so probably sold out.

drat, and they're going for hundreds on eBay. For whatever reason, the 2017 poster is still on their website so I may have to just buy that one even though I wasn't at that show.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Right in Two rules

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Skitz posted:

Right In Two still sucks though.

:hfive:

e: that video is long but yeah it rules, good recommendation. Those dudes seem like a lot of fun

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 7, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I’ve been watching them every now and then for 6 months or so. It’s cool to see their first videos where they just started diving into metal. Their video for Holy Wars by Megadeth is amazing.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=king+ktf+tool

Watching this guy fall in love with Tool over the last year is one of this cruel life's few pleasures

Black people reacting to, and loving, Tool is basically a subgenre of youtube videos

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

New 2020 tour dates announced:

quote:

Jan. 10 - San Diego, Calif. @ Viejas Arena
Jan. 12 - San Diego, Calif. @ Viejas Arena
Jan. 15 - Fresno, Calif. @ Save Mart Center
Jan. 17 - Las Vegas, Nev. @ T-Mobile Arena
Jan. 18 - Glendale, Ariz. @ Gila River Arena
Jan. 21 - Austin, Texas @ Frank Erwin Center
Jan. 22 - Dallas, Texas @ American Airlines Arena
Jan. 28 - Atlanta, Ga. @ State Farm Arena
Jan. 29 - Nashville, Tenn. @ Bridgestone Arena
Jan. 31 - Memphis, Tenn. @ FedEx Forum
Feb. 01 - New Orleans, La. @ Smoothie King Center
https://loudwire.com/tool-2020-tour-dates/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The old "warm weather only" Maynard winter tour.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Like 30 years in and Tool still makes hipsters uncomfortable and squirmy. They are good, they are bad, they were never good, they have always been bad. I'm gay, I'm straight. Who can know for sure? Joe Rogan. Wine farm.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Honestly can’t get enough this excessively-long Pneuma reaction video.

https://youtu.be/-23__zILRgc

These guys have some pretty good videos and are pretty entertaining.

This popped up in my recommendations and it was great! Honestly the more I listen to this album the more I like it. I think Pneuma and Invincible especially are absolutely fantastic. I've cooled on 7empest a bit since while I like a lot of the individual parts of the song, it's a little too noodly and it doesn't feel as cohesive, but overall I'm really pleased with the album.

This is coming from someone who loved 10,000 days just as much as their other albums so take my opinion with a grain of salt! I had no idea it wasn't as well received until finding this thread but to be fair I don't actually read much music reviews/criticism.

Edit: Speaking of live shows, I saw them at Roskilde in 2006 and they were incredible. Yeah they didn't move around the stage much and weren't that active but honestly I didn't care, the music spoke for itself and it was wild.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

They announced a new version of the physical release and...it's got an even longer booklet, 5 art prints, and a download of the "groundbreaking" immersive video.

Was hoping for a vinyl edition but I guess they're going to string this out a bit more.

edit: it's $10 cheaper than the first release ($45) but it doesn't have the screen/speakers, just a download of the video. Also, the version with the video is now $37 and seems to be available readily on Amazon.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 13, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They're going to come to New Zealand.. and only play Auckland :qq:

They came to Christchurch for Lateralus. Oh well

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Tool album 1: Cool!
Tool album 2: Cool!
Tool album 3: Cool!
Lateralus: Pretty cool!
10,000 days or whatever: Okay!
Fear Innoculum: *joe rogan spinning head logo*

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

echinopsis posted:

Tickets for GA in Australia start at $190, so it might be for the best.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

echinopsis posted:

What, they're traveling halfway around the world for you and you can't go a little - [actually looks at map of NZ] - oh, ok, never mind.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

echinopsis posted:

Pretty sure it was just auckland last time as well. Can't decide if I want to commit to it or not...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

ICHIBAHN posted:

Right in Two rules

I used to dislike that song and then I saw them play it live and now I like it. This didn't happen for the Pot though, where I disliked it, saw them play it live, and still disliked it after.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
E. misread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

Pretty sure it was just auckland last time as well. Can't decide if I want to commit to it or not...

I saw them in Christchurch in early 2000s for Lateralus. Not sure if they've come since

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

echinopsis posted:

I saw them in Christchurch in early 2000s for Lateralus. Not sure if they've come since

They played Auckland in 2013 and tickets were $150 for GA. Wouldn't be surprised if they're more expensive this time around.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Captain_Person posted:

They played Auckland in 2013 and tickets were $150 for GA. Wouldn't be surprised if they're more expensive this time around.

I'm - anecdotally - hearing $190 AUD for GA tickets at the Australian shows.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

buildmorefarms posted:

I'm - anecdotally - hearing $190 AUD for GA tickets at the Australian shows.

$180.20 + $9.70 booking fee according to ticektek.
Silver reserve can sneak you in for a paltry $146.60 + bf.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Phill show here I come! How long has the set been lasting?

Edit: good show. Still don't know how long it lasted.

Edit 2: Apparently they played Swamp Song last night for the first time a real long time, like 2007? That show was wild. It was my first arena show ever, better late than never, eh? Chocolate Chip Trip is way, way, way better live than on the album. The first thing I did when I listened to the new album was delete CCT from my playlist. I'm still not a fan of the album version, but I could listen to what happened last night forever and be really happy.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 19, 2019

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Saw them in Boston on 11/14. Killing Joke was a huge disappointment. The sound was just terrible, way too loud/bassy/drummy I dunno what. Tool was awesome, everything sounded fantastic. Maynard was more active than I've seen him in the last 10 years, especially during Vicarious. Danny's gong solo was really cool, something I've never seen/expected to hear before. Bring ear plugs for 80s band.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got to my seat about a minute after Killing Joke finished playing. I'm not upset about missing them.

I loved hearing Tool in person. The sounds they make are incredible. The visuals were a big let down though. I was expecting more lasers and trippy, fractally pattern stuff... not weird zombies and skeletons doing weird things. It's a good thing I'm content to watch musicians that's are masters of their craft play music.

I really liked watching Maynard creep around the set after the last song and high five Danny, Adam, and Justin.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Since Monday I've been listening to all their albums at work, while commuting, and at home. My opinion of the show keeps improving each day.

As I listen to album versions of older songs I'm realizing how incredible Tool sounds now. Older albums, let's say pre-10,000 Days, sound... rough? Grungy? Especially compared to the... crisp (??) sounds on Fear Innoculum. I'm not sure how to describe the difference in sound because I don't have a vocabulary for music.

Anyway, my point is, the older songs that were played at the show sounded more in line with FI's sounds.

Take Swamp Song or Aenima. When they were played at the show they sounded like a song Tool would have made in 2019, not songs from 93/96. I guess what I'm getting at is the show was awesome and I've never heard such high quality music in person. I'm in a state of disbelief that I saw those songs played in front of me. I had an A+ experience and it only made me love Tool even more than I did previously. I hope I can see them again in a year or so.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I think the grungyness sounded better than the more polished stuff though. They've never sounded better than on Aenima IMO, even just from a textural point of view.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
Not adding much new here, but I've been visiting the states for the last couple of days, and got tickets to the DC show, which didn't disappoint.

Sounded great, cool visuals (usual mix of actual clips, some visualisations, and plenty of lasers), and they played 'part of me' which I hadn't heard live before.

Maynard talked a bit, and lifted the camera/phone ban for stinkfist (last song), and they all hung around on the stage for quite awhile (with killing joke) once the show was done. The explicitly timed intermission (countdown displayed on the screen) was a nice touch. No crowd incidents, vast majority of patrons were the same vintage, so that's probably got a fair bit to do with it. And so much weed.

One thing - do US shows ever have general admission (as in no seating/pit/mosh/whatever)? I've seen tool a bunch of times, but only in Australia, and I always go for the GA tickets.

Seeing them again in a couple of months, especially since it might be the last hurrah.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

buildmorefarms posted:

One thing - do US shows ever have general admission (as in no seating/pit/mosh/whatever)? I've seen tool a bunch of times, but only in Australia, and I always go for the GA tickets.

Yeah they usually do. The seat setup on the floor for this tour where GA usually is is a bit strange.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It seems that GA for a lot of shows is being continually abandoned for seated ticketing. That way, the venue can jack up the price of tickets per floor section, or in some cases, per row. :capitalism:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

il_cornuto posted:

I think the grungyness sounded better than the more polished stuff though. They've never sounded better than on Aenima IMO, even just from a textural point of view.

Maybe, I was listening to reflection recently and thinking about how good the textures are. I'm not sure how it took me so long to pick up on it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

It seems that GA for a lot of shows is being continually abandoned for seated ticketing. That way, the venue can jack up the price of tickets per floor section, or in some cases, per row. :capitalism:

its also a safety thing I would guess. less likely to have mosh injuries or crowd surfers with seats everywhere.

although when marilyn manson played the Enmore theatre in Sydney in like 1997 the crowd ripped up all the seating in front of the stage.

I last saw tool over 10 years ago, never really planned on going, but did anticipate one of my child-having friends would have a last minute family emergency and need to offload his ticket. sure enough he just called me 3hrs before doors open and said 'i cant go, you can take my ticket for free if you want?'

i like my friends having kids.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

argh they’re in town in 3 weeks and the cheapest ticket on stubhub is like $200

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Adam Jones made several really obvious and bad mistakes that the other more talented members of the band managed to save.

The sound sucked total rear end, and was way too loud even with earplugs.

If I paid money for that show I'd be pissed but free it wasn't too bad.

Light show was decent.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
They finally played 7empest live tonight.

It was extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Goodpart posted:

They finally played 7empest live tonight.

It was extremely good.

Hoooh boy still buzzing, it was something.