Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
DMing a show with very good, very creative players and knowing that the characters aren't just important to them, but to thousands of listeners has to be a nightmare. Murph probably does the best of any as far as really using the game's systems, with all the boss fights with lair actions that no one else seems to really do.

But I also like Dungeons and Daddies with its much higher level enemies that Anthony lets the dads very, very creatively murder. And Dragon Friends, where Dave has been trying so hard for 4 years but his players are still dying face down in mud because they wanted to look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think this episode was the first time I've haven't particularly liked something Murph has done in the story. I don't like the twist that Ilsed isn't actually Ilsed, and Akarot is the real evil all along, having used his body while Ilsed's ghost is just a cool guy floating around trying to get out. I'm not even opposed to the actual concept of that, so much as the fact we're only finding out the episode before they fight Akarot as Ilsed. It just feels pointlessly rushed. I can see Murph's reasoning from the Short Rest, that the Band of Boobs had no connection with Ilsed and Ilsed had no defined personality, but the obvious solution there is: actually inject him in to the story at some point and build him up, rather than just swapping him out with a character they do know at the last minute. What's even more egregious really is that Murph sounds like he wanted to have a twist of some kind all along, and deliberately refrained from characterizing Ilsed so he could pull a twist with him. I hate twists for the sake of twists and with little to no foreshadowing or build up. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the next episode, but it's just a little dollop of disappointment about an otherwise really strong story.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

tsob posted:

I think this episode was the first time I've haven't particularly liked something Murph has done in the story. I don't like the twist that Ilsed isn't actually Ilsed, and Akarot is the real evil all along, having used his body while Ilsed's ghost is just a cool guy floating around trying to get out. I'm not even opposed to the actual concept of that, so much as the fact we're only finding out the episode before they fight Akarot as Ilsed. It just feels pointlessly rushed. I can see Murph's reasoning from the Short Rest, that the Band of Boobs had no connection with Ilsed and Ilsed had no defined personality, but the obvious solution there is: actually inject him in to the story at some point and build him up, rather than just swapping him out with a character they do know at the last minute. What's even more egregious really is that Murph sounds like he wanted to have a twist of some kind all along, and deliberately refrained from characterizing Ilsed so he could pull a twist with him. I hate twists for the sake of twists and with little to no foreshadowing or build up. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the next episode, but it's just a little dollop of disappointment about an otherwise really strong story.

Eh, I don't love it for all the reasons you mentioned, but I don't HATE it, because I always thought there was something more going on with Akarot. Like, who was his mom? Murph doesn't seem like the kind of guy to just leave that hanging. And why was his body weirdly skeletal and lich-like? His "defeat" felt unsatisfactory to me, and I like it being expanded, even in a weird way.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I agree with both of the above posts. The reveal connected some weird loose ends, but it did so in a way that didn't really add another layer of complexity to the narrative. I think it would have worked better if it happened in the middle of a tense fight, instead of an Adventure Zone-esque tabletop cutscene.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Psychepath posted:

But I also like Dungeons and Daddies with its much higher level enemies that Anthony lets the dads very, very creatively murder.

I’m a big fan of dungeons and daddies

As for the last naddpod, I didn’t mind it but I can agree with the criticisms I’ll have faith that he will do something more than just this single plot line

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 16, 2019

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Murph does give his rationale in the Short Rest. He didn't want Ilsed to be just "hey you remember Akarot? He's that but stronger."

Didn't adore cutscene mode, but I'm fine with the the reveal.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I liked the reveal

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm catching up on Dimension 20's new(ish) live show with emily/murph/etc and it's so good y'all, very fun chaotic early band-of-boobs energy and also downright unnerving storyline

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Emily has had two great moments in the live show that hurt my abs because I was laughing so hard. She will have these insane ideas and will break Brennan.

Last nights episode was an absolute doozy solely because of Lou and it was great.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theCalamity posted:

Emily has had two great moments in the live show that hurt my abs because I was laughing so hard. She will have these insane ideas and will break Brennan.

Last nights episode was an absolute doozy solely because of Lou and it was great.

the wildest thing about the live show is that it's 99% as good as the tightly-edited, polished pre-recorded stuff they were putting out before.

also lou laughing uncontrollably as he realizes he's probably going to get himself killed in the most colossally stupid way possible, which is 100% in character and the only thing he can do right there, was perfect

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 21, 2019

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

eke out posted:

the wildest thing about the live show is that it's 99% as good as the tightly-edited, polished pre-recorded stuff they were putting out before.

I forgot which episode but Brennan started playing music to set the mood and the players liked it because they usually play with no music. All of that is added in during editing. Brennan was selecting some real good music that was appropriate for the scene last night that it felt like it was added in in post.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Last nights D20 was such an incredible disaster

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

eke out posted:

also lou laughing uncontrollably as he realizes he's probably going to get himself killed in the most colossally stupid way possible, which is 100% in character and the only thing he can do right there, was perfect

I loved Brennan just kind of guiding Lou to kicking down the door rather than just opening it and walking out normally. There was no way it was going to end well, but at least he got to start it like a badass.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

When Brennan did the math to determine how many rounds it would take for the rest of them to get there was nerve wracking and drove home how futile it was. 20 rounds before anyone could help him

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

naddpod update: emily is so, sooo good

i can't loving believe she had that move with pendergreens planned

murph must've thought "it'll be alanis, balinor, or one of the party, huge drama either way" and em outsmarts it. she's so good

e: AND it gave us a ticking clock. what a perfect dramatic move

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 22, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have the dumbest, pettiest pet peeve about naddpod that nobody should listen to: I don't like that they say "core four" when "four corps" is right there

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have the dumbest, pettiest pet peeve about naddpod that nobody should listen to: I don't like that they say "core four" when "four corps" is right there

You're wrong and bad.

Pendegreens is the best character

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I am still piecing my way through the backlog and just getting to Ep 61, but holy poo poo Brennan was a loving gift to this podcast. "Bev, you need to gently caress Hardwon right now." is destroying my composure at work.

E: :stare: oh. Oh this is an episode.

bawk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 22, 2019

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i loving love Pendegreens

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bowmore posted:

I lost it at ”...you didn’t even have to cast the spell”

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Ainsley McTree posted:

I lost it at ”...you didn’t even have to cast the spell”

Lmao I love him so much

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

Little detail that made me lol from the last episode: He has a sugar addiction and gets a headache when he doesn't have his Mountain Dew in the morning :lol:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Yet another government replaced by a puppet dictator, like some sort of inter-dimensional CIA.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
donkey kong oneshot is here. be praying

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Farg posted:

donkey kong oneshot is here. be praying

a blessed day of thanks

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Donkey Kong one shot is amazing. Balnor making GBS threads his pants then disintegrating was perfect.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I can't believe it's real.... the Donkey Kong one shot.... it's amazing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The daughter of the coconut mother is real, and she's gonna make ya drink your own diarrhea

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 28, 2019

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I genuinely can't believe this was written and played. Murph may still claim to be Lawful Good, but this is absolute evidence to the contrary.

Holy poo poo, what an 8-Bit Book Club callback. I totally forgot Funky Kong was a libertarian.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 28, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also as it goes without saying the Short Rest is golden for this too

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m usually a freeloader when it comes to podcasts, but I have no regrets about where my $5 a month is going

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jake's Banana Crimes are worth the 5 dollars

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
donkey kong one shot super good this is ridiculous

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can’t stop thinking about how good that donkey Kong one shot was. So many highlights:

murph trying to somberly explain donkey Kong lore and cracking up because it’s too ridiculous

Jake accidentally usurping the throne, and within minutes, devastating the entire society

Balnor making GBS threads himself and then getting disintegrated

My only thorn is that we didn’t get to see funky word: kill

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I haven’t listened to the new episode yet but I absolutely cannot wait to hear Amir completely gently caress up Murph’s entire campaign and maybe even ruin DnD for Jake entirely

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
oh my GOD

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

timp posted:

I haven’t listened to the new episode yet but I absolutely cannot wait to hear Amir completely gently caress up Murph’s entire campaign and maybe even ruin DnD for Jake entirely

lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol amir just playing the biggest piece of poo poo possible

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

That was loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nothing but respect for emily committing to murdering amir at the cost of her own life