Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I went from 45 ac, 34 sh and 10 ev, with Rf+++, Rc+++ relec, rpois and rn+ to 0 resists, 2ac, 10ev and 0sh. While netted, in a single turn. Not really sure what the counterplay for that is given that this occurred going around a blind corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
One can make all the correct moves and still lose. This is not a failure, but a fact of life.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

One can make all the correct moves and still lose. This is not a failure, but a fact of life.

That however is not good game design

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Pray to RNGeezus

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

I think I'm done with crawl now. Just lost an incredibly strong FoFi in zot5 because I went around a corner and a lich walked onto an alarm trap, resulting in getting dogpiled. Survivable, sure, but then I get loving polymorphed into a bat by a killer klown, who also incidently is wielding throwing nets. Killed in literally 2 moves after that.

alarm traps, honestly, need removing.

Main branch or gooncrawl?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Tomb in 0.24 is basically impossible now, I lost two 14 rune characters to it recently. One CEHu and one MfIE. The drops down to the floors below are just brutal without having the stairs up as an escape option, and even if you’re torment immune you will still be hit 3-4 times an aut by the multiple Smiters in LoS. Genuinely believe you likely need controlled blink, necomutation, firestorm and shatter all flawlessly castable, as well as about 35 ac or ev to do it now. If you’re not a spell caster I wouldn’t even bother either. You’ll quickly get surrounded with hordes of Summons with no way to reach the priests and mummies summoning then.

did they remove Passage of Golubria? That was my go-to for tomb for a while, and way easier to get castable in armor than cblink, used that on a FoFi although admittedly that was in .20 almost 2 years ago

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charles Bukowski posted:

its a fact of poor game design

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Indecisive posted:

did they remove Passage of Golubria? That was my go-to for tomb for a while, and way easier to get castable in armor than cblink, used that on a FoFi although admittedly that was in .20 almost 2 years ago

I don't think so, but mainline dev enmity for Earth Magic has been ramping up over the last few versions.

edit: oops, that's a Translocation spell :doh: but I do wonder, since while looking at the wiki, nothing about MR was listed for Gell's Gravitas. Would that be a suitable option for Tomb?

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 13, 2019

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Victory Position posted:

I don't think so, but mainline dev enmity for Earth Magic has been ramping up over the last few versions.

How so? The grabby hands spell seems like it was a big boon for earth.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

How so? The grabby hands spell seems like it was a big boon for earth.

They reduced the damage somewhat, but the big kicker was the reduction in destroying the hell out of the dungeon with Lee's Rapid Deconstruction.

It's a change I still haven't forgiven :argh:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Lee's was incredibly useful as an impromptu digging tool and one of the more interesting direct damage effects in that it ran on environmental resources that you could eventually run out of - without losing much real utility, but I believe it used to be that some kinds of walls actually did more damage than others. I don't know if they still do, but probably not.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The change to Shatter damage - specifically, making it hit ghosts and other incorporeal entities - completely ruined my cool idea for an earthquake necromancer and in combination with the glaring lack of Singularity has really killed my desire to play the game.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Tomb in 0.24 is basically impossible now, I lost two 14 rune characters to it recently. One CEHu and one MfIE. The drops down to the floors below are just brutal without having the stairs up as an escape option, and even if you’re torment immune you will still be hit 3-4 times an aut by the multiple Smiters in LoS. Genuinely believe you likely need controlled blink, necomutation, firestorm and shatter all flawlessly castable, as well as about 35 ac or ev to do it now. If you’re not a spell caster I wouldn’t even bother either. You’ll quickly get surrounded with hordes of Summons with no way to reach the priests and mummies summoning then.

Relatively recently, (~2 years ago, after all the various changes to the branch), I actually did a game where I successfully did Tomb as the third and final rune of a 3 rune game.

I was, however, a Gargoyle Necromancer of Kiku, so I had death curse protection, Kiku’s torment resistance (so a high chance for torment to be completely negated, which combined with death curse protection meant mummies dying almost never hit me with torment and regular torment casts were mostly wasted turns), gargoyle’s torment resistance (so any torment that did hit had the damage significantly reduced), and the ability to use dispel undead, which since it automatically hits, has no element, and ignores AC is the absolute best single target attack spell to use against greater mummies. Being undead would

This did not stop me from nearly dying 4-5 times, because while I did have the autumn katana, zombie hands, and kiku’s corpse drop + simulacrum to take out the things immune to dispel undead, the simple way the branch worked made survival incredibly difficult even with all the ways to make things much more survivable in place.

there’s a positional magic branch up for consideration but not yet in trunk that, among a lot of other spell changes, removals, and additions, nerfs dispel undead (and agony) to be range 1. Considering that even if you make it into melee range against a greater mummy as a spellcaster it’s probably punching you in the face really hard, that’s going to make doing tomb as pretty much anything but the very last rune of a 15 rune game 100% a bad idea, and probably worse than trying to do a hell branch for a third rune.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

the Orb of Zot posted:

there’s a positional magic branch up for consideration but not yet in trunk that, among a lot of other spell changes, removals, and additions, nerfs dispel undead (and agony) to be range 1. Considering that even if you make it into melee range against a greater mummy as a spellcaster it’s probably punching you in the face really hard, that’s going to make doing tomb as pretty much anything but the very last rune of a 15 rune game 100% a bad idea, and probably worse than trying to do a hell branch for a third rune.

The sheer amount of people actively trying to make games they play more unfun because of balance/ realism/lack of complexity/whatever always boggles my mind.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Dispel undead is really good, but a lot of why it’s so good is that it’s very powerful and reliable at a minimal investment cost. It’s level 5 and single school, so a lot of characters can pick it up and use it to great effect. It’s especially good, aside from characters focusing mostly on the necromancy skill, for melee characters or hybrids that haven’t gone very deep in conjurations, like most stabbers. But as good as it is, there are plenty of other options that are as good or better: holy wrath weapons, especially two-handers at high skill, transmutations enhanced unarmed and top-tier damage spells all do better.

Dispel undead is great if you build a character that didn’t specialize deeply into one of the archetypes that has tools to handle undead enemies even better. It’s a useful and powerful spell, but not a no-brainer. I don’t see how making it melee range would make players consider a broader range of options for dealing with undead, rather it would reduce the number of choices players have. If the devs feel necromancy in general needs a nerf, I think there are better ways than savaging agony and dispel undead. A range reduction of one tile, for example, would be much more understandable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's useful and powerful and also incredibly limited in that it applies to only one type of enemy which is only found in great numbers in a very limited number of places. That ought to be enough of a trade-off and it has been enough of one until now, but as usual, it seems the Trunk devs will not be happy until you're so crippled that a wet fart would blow you over.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gnollcrawl is the Trunk dev's endgame.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

the Orb of Zot posted:

What in the actual gently caress, good lord. Casters notoriously love being in melee range of enemies, and particularly for necromancers that's literally their one spell that works on hostile undead. The devs truely hate fun.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So just always play gooncrawl then?

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Charles Bukowski posted:

So just always play gooncrawl then?

This has been the only acceptable move since Gooncrawl's beginnings.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, Gooncrawl's done some wacky stuff like not-even-remotely-balanced permabuffs. I'm really glad it exists but I'm also glad that mainline is still chugging along.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Unless gooncrawl has the new sif muna I am not personally interested

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Serephina posted:

Eh, Gooncrawl's done some wacky stuff like not-even-remotely-balanced permabuffs. I'm really glad it exists but I'm also glad that mainline is still chugging along.

Counterpoint: just entered a ossaury, the moment I go down the stairs, a mummy walks straight onto a dispesal trap. get dispersed three more times in four turns before am finally surrounded by 3 mummies and a zombie, ending my run.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I get a popup saying Gooncrawl has crashed when I try to start a game on CKO. I see other people playing it though. Any idea what's up with this?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FebrezeNinja posted:

I get a popup saying Gooncrawl has crashed when I try to start a game on CKO. I see other people playing it though. Any idea what's up with this?

You have an old save that got hosed when I broke saves by accident with a permabuff tweak. You'll need to get the server admin or someone with admin rights to wipe your save.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yeah, they are collecting feedback for that branch in the dumbest way possible.

The only thread they have pinned on the subreddit is a 'playtest feedback' thread, and any kind of higher level design philosophy feedback is promptly deleted. I've watched several replies with actual substance get deleted because it's not STRICTLY 'My experience playing has been great!, let me share some worthless anecdotes...'

Color me surprised that the development team is not interested in hearing opposition.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 23, 2019

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's less of a development team and more of a development clique

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

development circlejerk

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Nerds should be bullied

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Uskayaw is cool:

code:
 87164 | Pan      | Noticed Cerebov
 87165 | Pan      | Killed Cerebov
https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/hoshi/hoshi.txt

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy
Any chance someone has a newer offline tiles version of gooncrawl on dropbox etc. than from April of this year? trying to follow the instructions to do it myself but failing miserably.

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011
So after splatting a few characters in other forks and being Rather Annoyed at the devs (while streaking trunk lmao) I went back and played Gooncrawl

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Mottie/morgue-Mottie-20191204-074049.txt

Fun has been achieved :unsmith:

Perhaps next game I'll make an Ogre with a GSC and timestop, just because smashing enemies across the dungeon sounds fun as heck

Mottie fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 4, 2019

narelith
Feb 26, 2017

Mew!
Heya!

Is Gooncrawl Haste supposed to be other targets-only?

ed: Here's my chardump!

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Kreutzer/Kreutzer.txt

ed 2: After reloading my save file, I was able to cast the spell while near a couple harpies, and target myself.

But when my character is alone, or there's a *distant* enemy, the spell often fails with "Nothing appears to happen." I'm at almost-maximum Power with the spell, so I don't think that's it?

narelith fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 4, 2019

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

narelith posted:

Heya!

Is Gooncrawl Haste supposed to be other targets-only?

ed: Here's my chardump!

ed 2: After reloading my save file, I was able to cast the spell while near a couple harpies, and target myself.

But when my character is alone, or there's a *distant* enemy, the spell often fails with "Nothing appears to happen." I'm at almost-maximum Power with the spell, so I don't think that's it?

Just tested this offline, it's working fine without any other targets and I don't think there should be anything WebTiles specific that should screw with that. Any other details?

narelith
Feb 26, 2017

Mew!

Floodkiller posted:

Just tested this offline, it's working fine without any other targets and I don't think there should be anything WebTiles specific that should screw with that. Any other details?

Other than my chardump, I'm afraid not! I'll give you some more when my character's failrate isn't rising mutation during repeated tests.

ed: The string it gives is "nothing appears to happen".

ed 2: I finally figured it out! It's a part of my config. It dismisses the "target where" prompt, but a successful cast followed by . works. My bad, thank you for your patience!

narelith fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 5, 2019

narelith
Feb 26, 2017

Mew!

This character is just careening through Extended. It's a lot of fun, and pure Conjuration is pretty viable!

narelith
Feb 26, 2017

Mew!
https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Kreutzer/morgue-Kreutzer-20191206-025752.txt

Aaand killed by a Hell/miscast effect in Dis. Ah well!

narelith fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 6, 2019

narelith
Feb 26, 2017

Mew!
https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Kreutzer/morgue-Kreutzer-20191209-071901.txt

I won extended! Here's a few comments:

1. Magic Dart plus Battlesphere is very effective on an FD.
2. Time Stop is a really fun spell with a lot of uses. It is definitely on the strong side, though! But that's okay in my books.
3. Undoing is a really fun spell, full stop, and it has enough flaws (you can even hit yourself with it if you try) that I think it's legitimately balanced.

Basically, Gooncrawl's good stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
FD is easymode.