Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
are there actual internet playmoney carehavers itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

graph posted:

are there actual internet playmoney carehavers itt

I never specified a timeframe. It may take decades; but ya, it either goes to actual zero or actual millions. Bitcoin has no top relative to fiat because fiat has no supply cap. Every 20 years your dollar denominated purchasing power drops by 50% assuming normal rates of inflation.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

if you presume that the lottery ticket from the 7-11 always wins then dumping your life savings into them is sane you see.

browsers castle posted:

I never specified a timeframe. It may take decades; but ya, it either goes to actual zero or actual millions. Bitcoin has no top relative to fiat because fiat has no supply cap. Every 20 years your dollar denominated purchasing power drops by 50% assuming normal rates of inflation.
if you are serious i want to know what you think about the fact that miners absolutely can remove the supply cap off bitcoin and would be encouraged economically to do so.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
its so hard to tell legitimate coinspeak from ironic coinspeak

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

browsers castle posted:

lol

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Binance office raided by police
https://www.theblockcrypto.com/post/47922/binances-shanghai-office-shut-down-following-police-raid-sources-say

quote:

Binance’s Shanghai office, which once hosted some of the exchange's top executives, abruptly closed its doors in recent weeks, forcing employees to either work remotely or relocate to Singapore, several sources close to the matter told The Block.

According to sources, the cryptocurrency exchange’s Shanghai office was recently raided by local police. Sources said many of Binance's executives along with as many as 100 other employees worked at the office. The cryptocurrency exchange is headquartered in Malta.

Notably, top executives such as CEO Changpeng "CZ" Zhao and CMO Yi He were part of the group that relocated to Singapore, according to sources.

In a tweet dated Nov. 20, Zhao said that office and headquarters are outdated concepts and "time is moving on."

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGMm5jl9rog

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

CampingCarl posted:

if you are serious i want to know what you think about the fact that miners absolutely can remove the supply cap off bitcoin and would be encouraged economically to do so.

Wait, isn't this good? We don't want leveraged rehypothecation nonsense on something like BTC. We want 1:1 backed ETFs, or, even better, for people to buy and use the stuff directly.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

Boxturret posted:

its so hard to tell legitimate coinspeak from ironic coinspeak
poe's law, but with buttcoin

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Boxturret posted:

remember when he gave did a talk for the canadian senate and the bitcoiners were like this was the biggest thing ever

it was the second time i'd ever heard of the senate :)

lol

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Binance Denies the Very Existence of Shanghai Office, Along With Police Raids

https://cryptothenews.com/binance-denies-the-very-existance-of-shanghai-office-along-with-police-raids/

quote:

Recent reports of Chinese authorities raiding the Shanghai offices of leading Cryptocurrency exchange Binance, have now been refuted as false.

An official Binance spokesperson has commented on the subject, stating that no such events occurred, and that Binance do not in fact have Shanghai offices.

““The Binance team is a global movement consisting of people working in a decentralized manner wherever they are in the world. Binance has no fixed offices in Shanghai or China, so it makes no sense that police raided on any offices and shut them down.”

The spokesperson then commented on the fact that there has been a recent spike in the negative media and articles against Binance, which may be a target by the Chinese media. The exchange’s aim is to focus on innovating its blockchain and cryptocurrency ecosystems, and will “work closely with any government to protect users and grow the blockchain industry.”

As Crypto the News have reported earlier today, rumors of a police raid and closure of Binance’s offices were followed by a sharp drop in cryptocurrency prices, which are still seeing severe losses.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

browsers castle posted:

I give it 50/50 - but we're at like 7.5k now, and if you presume we won't go much lower than 5k... pretty good odds with only ~33% downside? I like buying here if thinking long term. As a trade maybe not, because I think this bounce won't be as high if we're going to continue down.

:hmmyes:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

...! posted:

Binance Denies the Very Existence of Shanghai Office, Along With Police Raids

https://cryptothenews.com/binance-denies-the-very-existance-of-shanghai-office-along-with-police-raids/

is shanghai itself even real :thunkher:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

browsers castle posted:

I give it 50/50 - but we're at like 7.5k now, and if you presume we won't go much lower than 5k... pretty good odds with only ~33% downside? I like buying here if thinking long term. As a trade maybe not, because I think this bounce won't be as high if we're going to continue down.

these are definitely some words but can you maybe provide a chart, preferably with some rainbow gradients on it to illustrate the point graphically?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

warning: thread may contain graphic imagery

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

...! posted:

The Binance team is a global movement consisting of people working in a decentralized manner wherever they are in the world.
please direct lawsuits to:
Binance Office
Driftwood Raft
201mi offshore

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZYozMeo7dQ

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the block went in loving hard on binance's bullshit

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/post/48112/setting-the-record-straight-on-our-binance-reporting

ben from decrypt helped edit it, though they took out ben's harsher additions

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

divabot posted:

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/post/48112/setting-the-record-straight-on-our-binance-reporting

i clicked the link and got a full page ad about daily briefs? what's wrong with bitcoinarians

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

Midjack posted:

these are definitely some words but can you maybe provide a chart, preferably with some rainbow gradients on it to illustrate the point graphically?

No gradient charts, but I do have numbers.

2013-2017 tops and bottoms:
1300, 360, 666, 200, 300, 210, 450. ... 20k

Lets pretend we do it exactly like that but at 10x:

13k, 3.6k, 6.6k, 2k, 3k, 4.5k, ... 200k

So, ya, we're going to bounce around. And eventually anyone who thought it was going to go straight from 3k to a million will get washed out because its too volatile for them and we're for sure going to zero, and then it'll go to a million because those people won't be around any more to sell and prevent it from doing so.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

browsers castle posted:

So, ya, we're going to bounce around. And eventually anyone who thought it was going to go straight from 3k to a million will get washed out because its too volatile for them and we're for sure going to zero, and then it'll go to a million because those people won't be around any more to sell and prevent it from doing so.

still not convincing me here.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

browsers castle posted:

whose rereg are you? seraph?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

browsers castle posted:

you realize this is not an earnest bitcoin thread right

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

vortmax posted:

whose rereg are you? seraph?

seraph would be trying to gloat way more than this. he’d also be banned by now from posting in the star citizen thread.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
well also the account is 8 years old. not sure that vortmax was asking a serious question.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

divabot posted:

nice one

so they confirm that shanghai is, in fact, real

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
You're going to feel pretty silly in a few years for being this close to the space but still not getting it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

browsers castle posted:

You're going to feel pretty silly in a few years for being this close to the space but still not getting it.

closer but not quite

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

browsers castle posted:

No gradient charts,

here you go

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

browsers castle posted:

by this logic the federal reserve would have been backed by TF2 hats by now. plus all the entertaining parts of bitcoin where the price could go to a million and still be useless.

browsers castle posted:

is the space a prison cell?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

browsers castle posted:

comfortably number

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

browsers castle posted:

lol yeah those graphs the bitcoiners make where they just copy and scale chunks of the price line over and over until you get multibillion swings a month sure are great

log scale ftw! :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

has anyone said nuttcoin tho

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

has anyone said nuttcoin tho

they made a single reddit post

NuttCoin
1 point
·
1 year ago
3LNe8FYiNDKW3jgmYzwfFdCcsTMaYGaADD

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boxturret posted:

they made a single reddit post

NuttCoin
1 point
·
1 year ago
3LNe8FYiNDKW3jgmYzwfFdCcsTMaYGaADD

busted

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

The Management posted:

has bitcoin solved a real world problem yet?

I must admit that I have used Bitcoin for international money transfers. It's pretty nice compared to the normal international bank wires, but that's precisely because nobody uses it - otherwise, the 7 Transactions Per Second thing would not allow me to gain a time advantage.

Even now, the volatility of Bitcoin is a significant risk when making transfers, so maybe I wouldn't say it "has solved" international transfers... ;)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

oh my god they’re coming out of the walls

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
did like all other avenues to talk about bit coins shut down and this is the last remaining thread or

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
There’s one in GBS. And BTC has the BWM thread, where butts also come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i htink its all piss