Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Man Musk posted:

they're for sticking pigs

"Media liaison"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
media liaison lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i didn't realize the CIA had in-house chaplains

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atrocious Joe posted:

i didn't realize the CIA had in-house chaplains

and they let them tweet about doing arms dealing

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some numbers I read on youtube:

HK's high school educated population: 82%
College educated: 33%
Age 18-22, half of them are in or have graduated from college

HK's managerial/administrative/professional jobs market combined, stays 17% for the last 10+ years.

And HK's high cost of living and high operation cost has chased away all the other industries. I call it the "super middle income trap" case. A good comparison is Singapore, whose government had been working very hard to retain the high quality professional jobs in manufacturing, oil refinement etc.

In other words, you have to be the top 17% (either by being smart or being born to the right parents) from your age group to find appropriately paid jobs when you graduate. If you are the 18%-50% in your age group, you are going to have to settle for a lower paid job that doesn't really need higher education. And you are already behind from having paid for the college education.

Or you can find a job outside of HK. I don't want to be mean but its easier for a Taiwanese graduate to find a job in mainland than a Hong Konger.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Associate Professionals is big and growing though. I wonder what those are exactly.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

whatever7 posted:

Or you can find a job outside of HK. I don't want to be mean but its easier for a Taiwanese graduate to find a job in mainland than a Hong Konger.

Wait really? I thought it would be the reverse

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Taiwanese overwhelmingly speak Mandarin as a native language at least. Hong Kongers learn it as a second language in school.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mayman10 posted:

Wait really? I thought it would be the reverse

It's Beijing's new policy toward Taiwan, skipping the TW government and directly treat Taiwanese as Chinese citizen both in domestic job/education/property ownership rights, and oversea embassy assistance.

There is also the problem of Taiwanese starting wages haven't increased in the last 20 years.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bloodnose posted:

Associate Professionals is big and growing though. I wonder what those are exactly.

I found this pdf by just searching some keywords, probably can answer some of your question.

Human Resources with Post-secondary
Education or Working as Professionals/Associate Professionals

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

whatever7 posted:

It's Beijing's new policy toward Taiwan, skipping the TW government and directly treat Taiwanese as Chinese citizen both in domestic job/education/property ownership rights, and oversea embassy assistance.

There is also the problem of Taiwanese starting wages haven't increased in the last 20 years.

drat that's a smart play

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

whatever7 posted:

I found this pdf by just searching some keywords, probably can answer some of your question.

Human Resources with Post-secondary
Education or Working as Professionals/Associate Professionals

quote:

2.2 從事專業/輔助專業職級 的人士是指
從事下列各類職業的人士:
2.2 Persons working as professionals/associate
professionals refer to persons in the following
categories of occupation :
 商業、行政及有關專業人員/輔助專業
人員
 Business, administration and related
professionals/associate professionals
 自然科學及工程專業人員/輔助專業人

 Science and engineering professionals/associate
professionals
 資訊及通訊科技專業人員/輔助專業人

 Information and communications technology
 保健專業人員/輔助專業人員  Health professionals/associate professionals
 教學專業人員/輔助專業人員  Teaching professionals/associate professionals
 法律、社會科學及文化專業人員/輔助
專業人員
 Legal, social science and cultural
The Hong Kong Monthly Digest of Statistics is not very helpful with their definitions. Associate professionals are people who work in several industries as associate professionals.

My guess would be like paralegals and registered nurses as opposed to "full professionals" being solicitors and doctors but it's not clear.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

whatever7 posted:

poo poo that's a good one.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

whatever7 posted:

Since when is this policy? An interesting move I didn’t think Beijing would take because it doesn’t involve them using every opportunity to be massive pieces of poo poo

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LimburgLimbo posted:

Since when is this policy? An interesting move I didn’t think Beijing would take because it doesn’t involve them using every opportunity to be massive pieces of poo poo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3036194/beijing-extends-sweeteners-taiwanese-weeks-taipei-election

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Looking forward to rear end in a top hat china watchers condemning this:

https://twitter.com/Chris_kC11/status/1197870020841242624?s=20

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It should be less of a 'push' and more of a 'move to codify same sex marriages as equal in law' since the party can just, you know, do that, but I'm glad there is at least SOME movement being made.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Now that’s some projection

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Tbh thought same sex was already ok in China. I remember everyone talking about the sex ed books for elementary schoolers that covered the topic. Glad to see they're finally legalizing marriage fully

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mayman10 posted:

Tbh thought same sex was already ok in China. I remember everyone talking about the sex ed books for elementary schoolers that covered the topic. Glad to see they're finally legalizing marriage fully

It's decriminalized but you don't get any of the legal benefits from marriage.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

This may be scaremongering but I just finished reading "the country of ice cream star" and this has me a little hosed in the head since it's literally what happens in the book.

Great read tho if you can get used to the post apocalypse vernacular the entire book is written in.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

LimburgLimbo posted:

Now that’s some projection

ye

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mayman10 posted:

don't know much about the situation, but i imagine any society as large and complex as china with massive fuckin cities is going to be really complex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3FScaL-7l8

quote:

Jin Xing, a former male ballet star and army colonel, draws 100 million viewers a week and was the first person, publicly, to undergo gender reassignment surgery in her country. Now she shares the unlikely story of finding extraordinary success afterwards.

Jin Xing, China's most popular TV hostess, has been many things in her life: dance prodigy, prima ballerina, decorated colonel in the People's Liberation Army, choreographer, actress, wife and mother of three. She also has been a man.

The son of ethnic Korean parents — her father was a bureaucrat in the army and her mother a translator — Jin was born in 1967 in Shenyang, a provincial northeast city in mainland China. As early as 4 she felt she was different, not just in terms of her sexual identity but also thanks to a precocious talent for dance that would, by age 9, result in her admission to a prestigious troupe within the People's Army (traditional dance and acrobatics are considered strong propaganda tools within the Chinese military). For the next 10 years, Jin's rise through the ranks of the military would follow two distinctly different paths: As a promising member of the dance troupe, she studied Russian ballet, Chinese opera, dancing and acrobatics; as a soldier, she became proficient with machine guns and learned how to place bombs delicately under bridges.

Her post-military life was no less ambitious. She became an acclaimed dancer during a stint in New York, founded her own dance troupe in Shanghai and adopted three children whom she raised on her own until her marriage in 2005. Her career as a TV personality skyrocketed thanks to regular appearances as a judge on a local version of So You Think You Can Dance, where she was a fan favorite for her withering takedowns (she often reduced young aspiring dancers to tears, earning her the name Poison Tongue on social media). Her popularity eventually led to The Jin Xing Show, a wildly successful variety/chat program — it's viewed by an estimated 100 million every week — that includes a dance competition, with Jin as the sole judge. She has been a woman since undergoing gender reassignment surgery in 1995.

Now a bona fide superstar, Jin, 49, is a one-woman industry unto herself, a kind of Chinese hybrid of Oprah, Simon Cowell and Caitlyn Jenner. And yet, outside China she is virtually unknown.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/meet-oprah-china-who-happens-be-transgender-942750

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Nov 23, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
probably a generational gap as well. a mainland friend i was talking to said that was a thing in terms of views about foreigners, as older people can have more xenophobic attitudes. pretty common in a lot of places!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
probably russia might be like this. i remember a few years ago watching alexander dugin on the equivalent of the russian bill o'reilly show, and dugin was ranting about LGBT as a western cosmopolitan plot and even this bill o'reilly type guy was like "uhhh" and thought dugin was a fuckin weirdo. this isn't apologism, but the worst thing to do is to have these neoconservative ghouls like jamie kirchick show up waving the pride flag while saying "we're gonna bomb your country so you can be free to be gay" as that will only embolden the dugin types. dated a guy from india once who explained to me that's exactly what happens there as the modi/BJP/RSS gang exploits that for their own purposes

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 04:52 on Nov 23, 2019

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
China is nowhere near as LGBT friendly as major US cities are now and neither compares to Taiwan. It's complex to be sure, but being openly gay is still tough and there's not a lot of room for nonbinary etc.

For example, gay films in china are still taboo for the censors (and in America we import Taiwanese directors to make them when they need to be a commercial success lol)

I think Taiwan is the only country with more female to male trans folk in the world.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
The smart move for China would be to assert complete dominion and control and then accede to every HK whim as a test of that style of governance while spinning a narrative of cautious skepticism to the mainland.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Modest Mao posted:

China is nowhere near as LGBT friendly as major US cities are now and neither compares to Taiwan. It's complex to be sure, but being openly gay is still tough and there's not a lot of room for nonbinary etc.

For example, gay films in china are still taboo for the censors (and in America we import Taiwanese directors to make them when they need to be a commercial success lol)

I think Taiwan is the only country with more female to male trans folk in the world.
yeah. though probably better than india where the guy i knew talked about the risk of gang rape growing up as punishment for being gay. another thing i noticed is that gay life in non-western countries seems both very familiar but also different at the same time. i started to see what people meant by LGBT being used as a kind of cultural imperialism, but which i mean that the image of an idealized gay person is white, western, who listens to lady gaga or something (guilty). whereas gay indians i met also liked divas -- it's a bit of a stereotype but okay -- yet they didn't give much of a crap about western artists and listened to their own

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
From my experience there are a lot of younger Chinese people that take trans people at face value, but get nervous about Ls Gs and Bs. Maybe this is just the artsy ones, idk

Slim Jim Pickens has issued a correction as of 06:08 on Nov 23, 2019

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I think it's contentious but homophobia and transphobia are also products of western cultural hegemony and most cultures didn't seem to give a poo poo. I think some central asian cultures traditionally felt comfortable with different sexualities as long as gender and sexuality lined up i.e. gay men were socially women. Or even some families who only had daughters might raise one as a son until she gets married etc.

I think the LGTBQ+ revolution that's been happening the past few decades, especially in west and west adjacent cultures, is a return to norms rather than a reinvention of norms.

But this isn't a topic I know a lot about... Just know that Chinese culture didn't even think homosexuality was interesting enough to gossip about until jesuits were in the imperial court.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

never mind read something wrong

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

whatever7 posted:

See, if they'd only let the guy who came up with this direct mainland-Taiwan policy, instead of one of the several guys who poo poo their pants and throw it at people, there might have been reunification by now.
But instead we get these repeated pointless goddamn tantrums about every setback on a yearly basis, and... well, China.

I guess sooner or later they'll realise that having a hereditary government system sucks.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Being gay in China isn't difficult because of Jesus, it's because if you're gay you're not going to make babies and that of course means there's no one to give elderly relatives money. All of my gay friends who are married to Chinese people (legally married outside of China) are referred to as just "friends" when they visit the mainland.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Darkest Auer posted:

Being gay in China isn't difficult because of Jesus, it's because if you're gay you're not going to make babies and that of course means there's no one to give elderly relatives money. All of my gay friends who are married to Chinese people (legally married outside of China) are referred to as just "friends" when they visit the mainland.

Yeah, if you're willing to get married (to the opposite sex) and have babies then the biggest hurdles are the partner and their family being OK with the whole thing.

If they are (or if enough money / stuff changes hands to make it OK), then it's not such a big deal. However, you often get bullshit like parents who know full well that their children are gay matchmaking regardless, leading to angry/suicidal partners when they realise their marriage is a lie.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

didnt ang lee get started in the us making a movie like this

of course as usual everyone was rich so the whole needing grandchildren to avoid dying in the street thing wasnt an issue

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Some Guy TT posted:

didnt ang lee get started in the us making a movie like this

of course as usual everyone was rich so the whole needing grandchildren to avoid dying in the street thing wasnt an issue

yah he did that and later broke back mountain

and the family, like ang lee, was taiwanese, who can have as many kids as they want

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

whatever7 posted:

Lady galaga are you white or Cantonese? If you are Cantonese and still think he visited the same massage parlor 3 times for massage is a little bit insincere.

why the gently caress does ethnicity matter in this question, what is wrong with you

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Don't dead name kill all cops ty

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Great Autismo! posted:

why the gently caress does ethnicity matter in this question, what is wrong with you

Because every Cantonese knows no 30 year old Cantonese male goes massage parlor across the river to get an actually massage. Are you Cantonese or white?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

I'm sure nothing will go down during tomorrow's elections