Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

dhamster posted:

If you want to play gg2020 when it comes out you might as well learn xrd if you find it interesting. A lot might change in STRIVE, but there's also aspects of the game that haven't changed in over a decade

Like the netcode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lemon-Lime posted:

Londrekia was announced at the same time as UNICLR. Some people were speculating/hoping they would be making Joker a playable character as well but they haven't announced anything more.

I hope they are cool. I havent been able to really click with anyone in the cast currently, i dig carmines attitude and buttons the most but i also am my own worst enemy with his bleeding.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

give me lex unist devs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The unist wiki says hes graceful like a figure skater so thats cool. Give him a dandy step and i'll main him, fbsc!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Can't wait to play the new UNIST and see joker's trick

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This never happens.

Melee

Also the +r discord got way more active after strIVe gameplay was shown off

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Blockhouse posted:

Can't wait to play the new UNIST and see joker's trick

sneak preview:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Rev2 is also $10 for everything right now and is still fun and we're a year out from Strive so come play guilty gear.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

give me lex unist devs

I'd be more interested in Lex than edgy card boy. I want to see what her powers are since she apparently has super-speed and is a mechanical genius who was trying to jury rig one of the Vatistas.

Mostly I'd want the gun princess though, especially since apparently she had placeholder UI elements left in the UNIST files.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 23, 2019

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Put Doom Guy in Unist. Slay all the demons.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Boogalo posted:

Rev2 is also $10 for everything right now and is still fun and we're a year out from Strive so come play guilty gear.

^^^

but also play unist

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
I did just see GG2020 isn't coming out until late 2020, so I think I'm going that route.

I was thinking of buying a fightstick, but is it a better idea to buy a hitbox?

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

cubivore posted:

I did just see GG2020 isn't coming out until late 2020, so I think I'm going that route.

Stick or pad for console you like. Easier to find, borrow or replace. Not going to bother getting into whether hitboxes should be legal or not, people at a local or online probably aren't really going to care.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

If you need a cheap stick, Eightarc.com still has qanba drones for $60 they're quite capable and if you like it you can throw a sanwa lever in it yourself for another $25. If you want to splurge, they have obsidians for $160.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Fightstick will always be legal and no one will ever hate you for using it, these games were all designed for them so you'll have a good experience.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This never happens.
doesn't happen much anymore, but used to happen. more people play mvc3 vs mvci, vsav1 vs vsav2, melee vs brawl, 3s og version vs patched, xvsf version 2 vs version 3, and a lot of small patches/editions like hsf2 vs st, a3 vs a3upper, a2 vs a2 gold, and I'm pretty sure people played ttt instead of t4. there's more examples but im not posting them.

but you are correct that most people will be moving on to strive.

cubivore posted:

try everything if you can and get what you like. people win championships on pad and games work much better on pad now than they ever did before. I find stick to be the most fun, but it's true that hitbox gives you a clear advantage over stick.

also everyone I know who has tried gg2020 says it feels and plays like a gg game so you aren't wasting your time playing xrd. xrd is fun.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I kinda wish more games had BBTag's damage because I can be like "when in the gently caress did I play multiple hundred games" and still want to play more.

Plus, I can keep doing dumb poo poo for science like using Cross Slash against any incoming super in a clutch and it won't matter because I'll be back in another match pretty quickly if it succeeds or fails (I'm looking at you Mr. Get Ready for The Next Battle)

Spoiler Alert: It worked against this dude's Akihiko and won me the game, and he was livid

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hitboxes are cool if you think you'll like it, you can set up a layout real close to what using one feels like with a keyboard, so maybe try that out for fun.

Also shop around if you want an obsidian, you can easily find them way cheaper than $160, I even got one for $100 from a dude who had a never used SCVI one gathering dust still-in-box off a stick sell/swap group.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 23, 2019

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Why is it that even very strong connections with WiFi still are inadequate for net play? After moving I can’t play on an Ethernet connection despite having a Powerline. I’m in the basement, the other Powerline on the second floor, and the connection is beyond terrible.

Also, has there been any new info about Samurai Shodown on the PC?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Why is it that even very strong connections with WiFi still are inadequate for net play?

It's the way that it's moving data, wi-fi is pretty much always gonna be less stable to some part due to how it works, more tiny losses in comparison to a hard wire even when it's still being good usually.

Also KK clarified a time or two now that SamSho PC is in fact coming and he's allowed to say that, but the date's still under wraps, so it's still partially in the dark, but at least we know stadia didn't just eat it now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MechaX posted:

I kinda wish more games had BBTag's damage because I can be like "when in the gently caress did I play multiple hundred games" and still want to play more.

Plus, I can keep doing dumb poo poo for science like using Cross Slash against any incoming super in a clutch and it won't matter because I'll be back in another match pretty quickly if it succeeds or fails (I'm looking at you Mr. Get Ready for The Next Battle)

Spoiler Alert: It worked against this dude's Akihiko and won me the game, and he was livid

Gg2020's damage id huge thank jesus

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oh man, the DoA World Championships started and the stream is rough

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nazzadan posted:

Oh man, the DoA World Championships started and the stream is rough

How many Gravure models?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

mango sentinel posted:

How many Gravure models?

None thankfully, just horrible audio desync and the video keeps cutting to black every 10 seconds

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Right yeah I forgot about Ozhadou. Seems they have more stuff now and I guess meet every two months. I should look into it once I can be around people again I guess.

They also run monthlies out at bankstown on most months York Street battles isnt running, though they tend to be a bit smaller.
Theres also this place out in merrylands https://twitter.com/battlekatbunker which has a pretty decent scene, though youd want to check before you turn up as attendance can vary a bit and it can occasionally be dead, or open up early but be empty till 8pm. Theres also first round esports in ashfield and cognitive gaming in the city, but i dont know when they run events or how easy it is to get games there.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

MechaX posted:

a combination of this games huge damage and horrible online mean I've genuinely had games that took longer to start than to actually play

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Nazzadan posted:

None thankfully, just horrible audio desync and the video keeps cutting to black every 10 seconds

theres a cosplay contest on the schedule i think so just you wait

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Why is it that even very strong connections with WiFi still are inadequate for net play? After moving I can’t play on an Ethernet connection despite having a Powerline. I’m in the basement, the other Powerline on the second floor, and the connection is beyond terrible.

information between players is sent in "packets" that contain things like the game state and inputs. when you play via wifi some of the packets get lost in transmission just due to things like radio interference or environmental fluctuations, much like how your radio will sometimes get tiny amounts of static from things like electronic devices being nearby or the signal bouncing off of people walking around.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Broken Loose posted:

information between players is sent in "packets" that contain things like the game state and inputs. when you play via wifi some of the packets get lost in transmission just due to things like radio interference or environmental fluctuations, much like how your radio will sometimes get tiny amounts of static from things like electronic devices being nearby or the signal bouncing off of people walking around.

Oh, gotcha! That’s a good visual analogy.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I've been trying to play Akatsuki in BBTAG 2.0 and while I dig how he feels "superpowered" compared to in UNIST (214B crosses the screen, his projectiles move far faster, he's way more mobile, etc) I'm having a lot of trouble getting used to him because he's my main in UNIST so I keep accidentally hitting the wrong buttons or trying to do moves and combos that don't work in BBTAG. I've only just started messing around so I'm sure this will go away soon, but it feels really weird right now.

His English voice is really not great, even beyond the absolutely horrible voice direction BBTAG has (Listen to Yosuke, for example. Or Kanji, where they apparently didn't tell Matt Mercer the context for any lines so his "Ya want some?!" attack has him just casually asking if the opponent does, in fact, want some). I feel like Patrick Seitz might've been a good choice, since he can nail that type of character and really knows how to do some yells, but he already voices Ragna which I guess disqualifies him.

Thank you for listening to my voice actor opinions, please stay tuned for a future post where I will discuss why Jamieson Price is the best despite mostly just using the same voice for everything.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 23, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zinkraptor posted:

please stay tuned for a future post where I will discuss why Jamieson Price is the best despite mostly just using the same voice for everything.

I'm listening..

to Jamesion Price sound clips on repeat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
god nothing sounds worse than "we handed the actors a big pile of contextless quotes" dubs

Not really a fighting game but this is one of the best examples of that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ZYwo7Xg2o&t=78s

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dinkledge in Destiny 1 is always the best example, they gave him no context whatsoever on his lines, so he did what they wanted, completely nothing dry line reads.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zinkraptor posted:

Thank you for listening to my voice actor opinions, please stay tuned for a future post where I will discuss why Jamieson Price is the best despite mostly just using the same voice for everything.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm listening..

to Jamesion Price sound clips on repeat.

SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR FRIENDS

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Zinkraptor posted:

His English voice is really not great, even beyond the absolutely horrible voice direction BBTAG has (Listen to Yosuke, for example. Or Kanji, where they apparently didn't tell Matt Mercer the context for any lines so his "Ya want some?!" attack has him just casually asking if the opponent does, in fact, want some). I feel like Patrick Seitz might've been a good choice, since he can nail that type of character and really knows how to do some yells, but he already voices Ragna which I guess disqualifies him.

True, but on the other hand, Susano'o's dub voice is too perfect

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah, I generally feel there are waaay more hits than misses in the bbtag dub.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

taco bell!

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

New interview with Daisuke Ishiwatari. Haven't read it yet, but I guess Street Fighter 3 is his favorite fighter. Huh.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/interview-with-guilty-gear-creator-daisuke-ishiwatari/

Edit: And here's Woolly interviewing Daisuke, with some really strange editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iusmy9mITvM

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 23, 2019

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, I generally feel there are waaay more hits than misses in the bbtag dub.

I think they got a lot of good voice actors with some really good casting choices, but it seems like something was wrong with the process - probably the voice actors not being given enough context for lines and some other weirdness. Kaiji Tang is normally great but he still sounds off in BBTAG.

That said, even though I complain about it I still use it for almost all characters and there's a lot I like about it. For example, I get english Ragna back and I can avoid subjecting myself to japanse Teddie. Being able to toggle between English and Japanese voice acting on a per character basis is wonderful.

Hey, while we're talking about BBTAG stuff that doesn't involve actually playing the video game, why does Blitztank have no interactions? I've never actually played Akatsuki Blitzkampf myself, but my understanding is that the playable Blitztank at least partially regained its memories as a human and then turned on its creators, right? So it's not exactly a soulless machine. I don't expect it to talk or anything, but it's still strange none of the other characters will at least comment on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nazzadan posted:

Rachel is back in December at least