Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Cost.

Cost is the loving barrier.

Why are you people arguing about anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Cost.

Cost is the loving barrier.

Why are you people arguing about anything else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMIDaomx0GA&t=69s

quote:

This gave us some really valuable insights to be able to do almost direct A/B tests and it turns out that Rift S is substantially more retentive than the earlier Rift even with the exact same content, and this was like the experiment that we did with Gear VR to Go. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as Go's more than 2x increase in retention, but it was still a very meaningful point that the friction to get into and play the experiences is such a dominant force for virtual reality, where the fact that people that are used to it that set up their cameras and deal with all the little issues in USB problems... Maybe it's not a big deal for a lot of people, but statistically, it sure seems that inside-out tracking was really the right thing to do for us.

So retention is not the exact same issue as adoption, but barriers to people continuing to use their headset is definitely related to issues that cause people to decide whether or not to pick up a product in the first place. Not needing external sensors leads to a big step up in retention. Later in the video he says that Quest has the most retention of all the headsets, and it stands to reason that it's in part because of how much easier it is to use. Saying cost is the only barrier just doesn't really make sense.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The Big Bad Worf posted:

I remember when square was sued into bankruptcy because they put kingdom hearts games on every platform imaginable, and they were all vitally important to understanding what was happening in any of them

here's a helpful model to understand the plot progression of Kingdom Hearts

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah gaben told one of our community members to his face "its something we've already thought about". SO its coming. Just, who knows when.

*Guy was one of the first preorder people, so valve flew him out to pickup his index or w/e*

some people on reddit are speculating that they might get it working with the Vive Wireless Adapter since there was a patchnote about making the Index work with unsupported wireless devices or something.

The all-in-one cable for the Vive Pro apparently carries a displayport signal so in principle it shouldn't be too gargantuan a task

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Does anyone have experience going from a CV1 to an Index?

Absolutely stellar headset, superior in every way except deep blacks.

I miss the Touch controllers. Touch controllers are much better for games with hard throwing, like Echo, and I generally find Touch much comfier than the Knuckles. The finger tracking doesn't really matter because VR games are all made to work with Touch/Wand, so it's more a "neat, my fingers!" than a thing that matters.

Lighthouse tracking has given me no issues, whereas even with 4 Oculus sensors I had occasional hiccups with CV1.

Overall, it's worth the upgrade, but if you adore Echo or other hard throwing games, then consider Rift S or Quest instead. The Knuckles straps aren't good enough to really chuck a disc without the controller shifting obnoxiously.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
--edit: ^^^ Changing the Indexes display brightness to 95% seems to do some good.

I started to watch this and a few minutes in, I fail to see how that's related to any lawsuits.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lemming posted:

The average person's arm span is roughly as tall as they are, so if you want to stretch out your arms, even if you don't turn around at all you need about a 6" x 3" space, and even then you're still really risking whacking something. That's a lot of space, especially near desks which are usually not placed in the most open areas.

I live in a student apartment and even I have two square meters of spare space.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Oculus Link seems to be pretty finicky. I got the officially recommended Anker cable until the real one releases, and I got an active extender cable you have to plug in in order to get more length. Others on the quest subreddit reported that extender worked but for me I get the green check mark but I get eternal three loading dots. Without extender works fine.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
But I played like 30 minutes of Audica with no noticable issues beyond only having a 10ft cord.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for this, one of the most surprising things he admits is that the Oculus Quest can do 90hz perfectly fine, and they know it would be good to have for Link, but they can't because they would lose their FCC certification if they did and they decided they don't feel like paying to recertify it.

Shenanigans like that is why I wanna get root running on mine. I'm not letting Trump tell me how many fps I can have lol

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

Oculus Link seems to be pretty finicky. I got the officially recommended Anker cable until the real one releases, and I got an active extender cable you have to plug in in order to get more length. Others on the quest subreddit reported that extender worked but for me I get the green check mark but I get eternal three loading dots. Without extender works fine.

Yeah, I haven't had much luck with that one with any extensions, either.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

I started to watch this and a few minutes in, I fail to see how that's related to any lawsuits.

I never said it had anything to do with lawsuits? It was a joke video about understanding the kingdom hearts universe using the monomyth, referencing the “needing to play every game on 27 platforms to understand the plot” bit. Chill.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Chill the gently caress out.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Shine posted:

But these threads have never been about chill VR circlejerking, they've been about adversarial hatefucking of the "other team" (Oculus/SteamVR)...

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
"Chill" is a codeword for "literally ignite with rage" and I will not be convinced otherwise

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Good Dumplings posted:

"Chill" is a codeword for "literally ignite with rage" and I will not be convinced otherwise

calm down

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This is not true VR

Until there are display headsets that can do at least 1000 Hz with almost instant pixel response time and retina resolution that close to our eyes this is sand in our eyes, VR set with display port 1.2 is a joke but i guess that's what valve considers its customers a joke. I hope other digital content distribution platforms arise from your ashes lol.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is not true VR

Until there are display headsets that can do at least 1000 Hz with almost instant pixel response time and retina resolution that close to our eyes this is sand in our eyes, VR set with display port 1.2 is a joke but i guess that's what valve considers its customers a joke. I hope other digital content distribution platforms arise from your ashes lol.

True VR will be here when I can get a headset that's comfortable enough for people to wear it while loving me so they're tricked into thinking they're loving someone attractive.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Anyone tried or have thoughts on the Samsung Odyssey Plus? The price is at $230 right now, seemed to me like a good deal to get entry into VR. Anything i should be aware of?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Shine posted:

I refuse!

Gotta keep that heartrate up for more Beat Saber/Thrill.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is not true VR

Headsets? Ugh. Call me when there's contact lenses with VR capabilities.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quornes posted:

Anyone tried or have thoughts on the Samsung Odyssey Plus? The price is at $230 right now, seemed to me like a good deal to get entry into VR. Anything i should be aware of?
Tracking isn't good and the controllers suck, but it has a nice fit and a really good display. Its probably the bare minimum acceptable hmd

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

homeless snail posted:

Tracking isn't good and the controllers suck, but it has a nice fit and a really good display. Its probably the bare minimum acceptable hmd

Agreed on everything but bare min.

The HP and old Lenovo are half decent for 150ish USD (sometimes less) when they drop. Same lovely controllers but cheeeeeap.

I actually didn't hate my dell. the software IPD was an issue since I have big head, but yeah. it wasnt bad.

Honestly anything in the 120-175 space for WMR is worth trying. More so if you can buy on amazon.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
is the plus worse than the original or something because ive never had a problem with the tracking or the controllers on mine, the resolution was also really nice and i always preferred it over my vive

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Q: are the wall-mounts for the index lighthouses the same threading / similar design to the original VIVE? If I buy an all-new index kit I'm going to box up my VIVE to sell but I'd rather not have to unscrew and remount the actual wall fixtures if I can just put the index fittings in the VIVE box.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So uh

Asgard's Wrath. Yay or nay?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

VarXX posted:

is the plus worse than the original or something because ive never had a problem with the tracking or the controllers on mine, the resolution was also really nice and i always preferred it over my vive

Nah. The controllers are just very meh. Tracking is fine. People overblow "how bad" wmr is

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Q: are the wall-mounts for the index lighthouses the same threading / similar design to the original VIVE? If I buy an all-new index kit I'm going to box up my VIVE to sell but I'd rather not have to unscrew and remount the actual wall fixtures if I can just put the index fittings in the VIVE box.

Standard whatever bolt camera size. So yah.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

repiv posted:

holy moley that must be a lot of $1000 headsets

To my knowledge, the chart is based on revenue not numbers of HMDs. So yes they are selling many but possibly only 6% as many units as Jedi: Fallen Order.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Rubber Slug posted:

Are we likely to see any Black Friday sales on quests, or should I just pull the trigger and order one now? I don’t see why they’d need to put them on sale considering what Valve just did.

Looks like the Black Friday sale for Quest is free Vader Immortal 1-3 ($30 value).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I sure hope the release of the game doesn't result in a buy -> negative review -> refund bullshit from salty gamers.

That's a dangerous thing to consider, as at-will Valve can cut off refunds/the ability to refund. Specifically spitting in Valves faces seems like a real bad idea (doesn't mean people won't do it).

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Hey VR Jocks, is the Oculus software required for the rift s to work in steam VR?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Hey VR Jocks, is the Oculus software required for the rift s to work in steam VR?

Yeah, but you can leave it running in the background. It's relatively unobtrusive.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah, but you can leave it running in the background. It's relatively unobtrusive.

drat, it's a lot bigger than I would've thought, I thought I had everything ready to go for when I got off work, curse my not that fast internet.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

RabbitWizard posted:

Rift CV1 for 300€, AMD FX-6350 & Mainboard ASRock 970 Pro3 for 150€, GTX 1050Ti (used) for 100€. 8GB of Ram are also enough.
This setup has problems with some games, but is good enough for 90% of the stuff I played.

Those are the min spec when Rift launched 3 years ago. Even oculus has not kept it's own software to that requirement. Azguards wrath, Stormland, and HL:Alex need a beefier machine. I haven't confirmed but apparently HL:Alex actually "requires" 12gb ram.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Stick100 posted:

To my knowledge, the chart is based on revenue not numbers of HMDs. So yes they are selling many but possibly only 6% as many units as Jedi: Fallen Order.

All those Canadians rushing to praise Gaben now that he doesn't hate Canada. :canada:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is not true VR

I know you're joking but the airforce tested and 300 hz is about the max for most things, 600 is max for quick white flashes.

We already have 240 monitors, we are getting close to perfect VR. I can't see SDE on the Index/Quest anymore.

Give someone a bit of drugs/alcohol and I bet you could convince them an Index experience is reality.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011

homeless snail posted:

What about the Leap Motion vr controller? I've heard interesting things about it. Thinking maybe i could combine the two?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

So why are you guys saying HL:A won't run on the quest? does the link thing not work for steam VR?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So why are you guys saying HL:A won't run on the quest? does the link thing not work for steam VR?

The link cable works with SteamVR. If you’re only going to do PCVR, the Rift S is a better option.

I have zero rhythm, but Pistol Whip is an incredible amount of fun and holy gently caress my quads

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It should work work fine. HL:Alyx won't run native on Quest like all PCVR doesn't run native on Quest.