Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ixjuvin posted:

Presumably BTs were always around chilling in their antimatter universe or whatever, and maybe floating about on Earth but unable to do anything meaningful due to the lack of ambient chiralium. My assumption is that Bridget/Amelie flexing their powers and discovering Beaches (they mention I think that Bridget's split and discovery of her Beach is what prompts research into Beaches as a whole) starts letting BTs and chiralium out into our universe, and once that happens it's a slippery slope to the end of the world. We see during the game that the ambient chiralium increase created by linking up the network either makes BTs more powerful or allows more of them to slip into reality. And since BTs are basically made of chiralium, this pretty much means that the more BTs you have, the more BTs you'll get. I think this is why Amelie insists that the 6th Extinction is inevitable - at some point another EE will be born, and the process of annihilation is already partway along and (as far as we know) irreversible.

Bridget started researching beaches to try and prevent the 6th extinction event she explains that somehow through her beach you can access all the information in history by connecting with the dead from previous Death Strandings.
I got the impression that mass die offs somehow cause Death Strandings and there was something about people 3d printing nukes and terrorism being common? So maybe it was like notTrump, automation and loving up the environment causes a bunch of terrorism and species death resulting in some BTs causing voidouts mysteriously and then the BB and Beach research and bringing Sam back made it much worse?

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Structures continue to degrade even if you aren't playing? Hope not away for 2 weeks.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

I got this game 3 days ago now and I love it; I get the same enjoyment that I do from skiing around looking for points of interest in Steep.

The problem I’m having is with the multiplayer element. I’m currently only on Chapter 3. I get the point of it - cooperation makes survival in a harsh world possible. But, at the moment it completely negates any challenge, and rather spoils the desolate world feeling. Even with signs turned off, it feels like there’s so much stuff everywhere; I can usually tell the best route to a location by the positions of ladders and bridges.

Should I stick with it? I’m really tempted to start a new offline save.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Juche Couture posted:

I got this game 3 days ago now and I love it; I get the same enjoyment that I do from skiing around looking for points of interest in Steep.

The problem I’m having is with the multiplayer element. I’m currently only on Chapter 3. I get the point of it - cooperation makes survival in a harsh world possible. But, at the moment it completely negates any challenge, and rather spoils the desolate world feeling. Even with signs turned off, it feels like there’s so much stuff everywhere; I can usually tell the best route to a location by the positions of ladders and bridges.

What you're missing is that this is fundamentally not a lone-survivor game. It's a game about rebuilding. Having other people out and about building things you can use, and you in turn, means the world isn't as terrible and lonely a place as it was before you got the Chiral Network online.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Juche Couture posted:

In a couple of chapters, you will likely appreciate other players structures more. I felt the same as you in chapter 3, but the game does get to the point where it would be a total slog without other player's buildings. I know it's fun now to do things on your own, but later on you will be so happy that someone farther along knew what bullshit you're about to go through and built a [STRUCTURE_TYPE] to help you out. You could build it yourself, but you would be making extra trips to every destination, and that's not as much fun later in the game as it is when the game is fresh. Overall, playing offline doesn't make the game more challenging, just more tedious.

I think you should keep going as is.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 23, 2019

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Sometimes when I q-pid a new area I do get a lot of surprisingly helpful structures. I got a string of three online ziplines that were already connected which made getting to the mountaineer insanely easier than I think the devs intended on your first trip up there. Usually I’ll just get one isolated zipline but I guess I got lucky. Took all challenge out of the trip though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think that the chiral network being offline when you explore a new area makes it have that feeling of desolation that you're pushing back, which I really dig.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I convinced my friend to buy the game when I told him that I had full zip-line network to take me anywhere, but then I got an order that could not reasonably be carried on my network and required me to drag two full carts over mountain peaks and it sucked and it was boring. He was sold.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
what's with all the people online sticking ziplines in valleys? put that poo poo at the highest point people, drat. you can basically build them anywhere if you fiddle with the placement enough.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Romes128 posted:

Deadman or DieHardman call you a bit after and tell you to dispose of the body and mark it on the map. A bit after that you get a game over. Someone mentioned before it destroys created structures but I dunno about that.

It doesn't make a crater because it makes you load your last save, except the body or bodies will be gone. And for me it took over 8 hours for the game over so I theoretically had plenty of time to take care of the buddies, I just didn't care :v:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Spite posted:

what's with all the people online sticking ziplines in valleys? put that poo poo at the highest point people, drat. you can basically build them anywhere if you fiddle with the placement enough.

I tried, but every high point seems to have one jerkly placed rock in the way of the path that makes the line near useless.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Spite posted:

In my online shard some dude kept putting ziplines just far enough off the side of a peak so that you couldn't actually connect to it from the other side of the peak... despite actually, easily being able to put it directly on the peak. I had to delete at least 3 of this dude's ziplines. What is THAT poo poo?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DaveKap posted:

In my online shard some dude kept putting ziplines just far enough off the side of a peak so that you couldn't actually connect to it from the other side of the peak... despite actually, easily being able to put it directly on the peak. I had to delete at least 3 of this dude's ziplines. What is THAT poo poo?

the game picks and chooses which ziplines to carry over into other people's games so it's likely that it omitted the ones that would have made this guy's network functional

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Pro tip: you can't skip the BT odradek animation, but you CAN keep your velocity through it if you're skating.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also later on you get something for your map that'll make it easier to spot where BT areas are going to be. Plus, you can always look in the sky for black strands and try to get an idea of where they might pop up.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
When I beat the game it dropped every tip I hadn't seen on me.
What weapons/where do I get chiral ammo?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just started chapter 10. Does the game have a point of no return in terms of side content? I have to max out a couple social links and want to do them before finishing the story

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Where's my Yakuza game Directed by Kojima? Lmao

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I just started chapter 10. Does the game have a point of no return in terms of side content? I have to max out a couple social links and want to do them before finishing the story

Basically it’s before you hook up Edge Knot City.

Also this:
You will load back into the game “2 weeks earlier” to finish up stuff after finishing the game

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tertius Oculum posted:

Where's my Yakuza game Directed by Kojima? Lmao

the sins of mankind do not yet merit such punishment

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Basically it’s before you hook up Edge Knot City.

Also this:
You will load back into the game “2 weeks earlier” to finish up stuff after finishing the game

Just in case you're paranoid about mousing over that spoiler: it's not a real point of no return imo; there is a point where you will be hurtled toward the 3-hour cutscene finale, but after that you can pick it back up and complete side poo poo at your own pace so don't worry about making any strategic saves or anything, nothing is missable.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DalaranJ posted:

When I beat the game it dropped every tip I hadn't seen on me.
What weapons/where do I get chiral ammo?

Finish the pizza delivery questline. Chiral ammo just refills from your chiral supply iirc.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I know I just posted this same thing upthread but I re-read the in-game interviews and it turns out I remembered it wrong. This incident is mysteriously labeled as "the doctor's last words" and "an annihilation event" but it isn't what causes the voidout in Manhattan. That happens mysteriously later during the BB experiments and is what kills the president, leaving Bridget in charge.

source:
https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/From_the_Report_on_the_Voidout_in_Manhattan_1
https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/From_the_Report_on_the_Voidout_in_Manhattan_2
https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/From_the_Report_on_the_Voidout_in_Manhattan_3

Based on the above I'm not at all clear if the "who the hell?" moment was a voidout or not. It's only described as "an incident", "an annihilation event", and "the moment that changed everything—the moment the surgeon's hand touched the cord."

I guess this plot was more kojima than i realized

There's also an intentional fakeout here. The game gives you those journals immediately after the reveal about Sam's past, trying to trick you into thinking the two events are the same ones, when they are merely coincidentally similar.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Chiral weapons are chapter 10 or after, pizza quest line complete

It's another tier to all the weapons and they get some new functions as well.

functions:
Every gun gets a grenade launcher with all 4 grenade types, press down on d pad to switch in an out of it

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 23, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Modest Mao posted:

Chiral weapons are chapter 10 or after, pizza quest line complete

It's another tier to all the weapons and they get some new functions as well.

They would have been nice to have because someone tossed me a lockon rocket launcher during the final boss and I drained all of my blood bags because I didn't realize it was charging me for all five shots when I pressed the trigger.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I had to learn about R3 for the next page on equippable items in the middle of the first boss fight (end of chapter 2)... better late than never!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh man is this Christmas-themed Mads scene one of those real-life calendar things because it was very good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh man is this Christmas-themed Mads scene one of those real-life calendar things because it was very good

No, it's just in the regular random pool of BB memories.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also is there any reason to continue deliveries to destinations that are already 5-starred

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also is there any reason to continue deliveries to destinations that are already 5-starred

Some places give out unique items that can't be fabricated whenever you make a delivery too them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think I’m gonna burn out hard on this game once this binge is over.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Would have appreciated a couple spoiler tags on the pizza deliveries reward, ngl.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Would have appreciated a couple spoiler tags on the pizza deliveries reward, ngl.

Just do your job and deliver pizzas.

loving millennials.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

Just do your job and deliver pizzas.

loving millennials.

I do, I delivered that champagne ice cold man. from dropping it in the river

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

the game picks and chooses which ziplines to carry over into other people's games so it's likely that it omitted the ones that would have made this guy's network functional
That's not the point, though. Even if I had his entire network, it would have been a sub-optimal one because he didn't place his ziplines on the peak directly so that a line could have gotten to it from both sides of the peak. Unless he built 2 ziplines literally 10 meters apart, it was a dead end zipline.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe he upgraded it in his game so it has 350m range and for some reason the shared one isn't upgraded?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I would like to thank the ghost of Pig Benis for giving me the items I needed in a boss fight.

:thumbsup:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Do the outposts gradually build up materials themselves or is it only you lugging them around form place to place?

I've gotten most of the highways built save for the top left swampy area of the map, but those need a silly amount. I've not harvested any from the people on the mountain yet though so they might have enough between them to cover the last few points (once it's connected to the network).

Also, bloody hell, chapter 6 or 7 or whatever up in the mountains is nuts. It's weird how seamless the transition's felt from the initial hiking around grassy cliffs and poo poo to climbing mountains and how i end up dominating all of it with my ever expanding ziplines.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe he upgraded it in his game so it has 350m range and for some reason the shared one isn't upgraded?
I'm still not getting my point across.

Imagine this is the tip of a mountain
/\
Now imagine this letter 'i' represents a zip line building and the point where the zipline connects is the dot in the "i"
i/\
The zipline could have been placed 10 meters to the right and been on top of the mountain but instead it's 10 meters to the left and completely blocked from being able to zip over the mountain. THAT is what I kept finding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Outposts seem to generate resources, slowly.