Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

It should work work fine. HL:Alyx won't run native on Quest like all PCVR doesn't run native on Quest.

Yeah, it's just difficult to make this distinction clear to people who don't already know a lot about VR. If you want to play Half Life Alyx you need a gaming PC no matter what is what people are trying to make clear I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

Yeah, it's just difficult to make this distinction clear to people who don't already know a lot about VR. If you want to play Half Life Alyx you need a gaming PC no matter what is what people are trying to make clear I think

I’m proud to announce StadiaVR,

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Taintrunner posted:

I’m proud to announce StadiaVR,

Sure could use that negative latency!

EDIT: There was a neat article I saw today going in deep on how the oculus link works and what its doing under the hood. Interesting if you like technical stuff.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/h...ine-aadt_112219

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 23, 2019

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm excited for the new half life and want to eventually replace the Vive wand I smashed into my wall a few months ago. The index controllers seem pricey but they play nice with the 1st gen satellites right? Should I just spring for a quest and rip these satellites out of my wall?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

hatty posted:

I'm excited for the new half life and want to eventually replace the Vive wand I smashed into my wall a few months ago. The index controllers seem pricey but they play nice with the 1st gen satellites right? Should I just spring for a quest and rip these satellites out of my wall?

You will undoubtedly have a better experience keeping your Vive and getting the knuckles with Alyx. You already have the lighthouses, just keep em' up.

I had a Vive and kept the lighthouses exactly where they were and just got the Index headset and the knuckles. No problems at all.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

hatty posted:

50-50 both are valid. Quest get's standalone stuff (try sidequest Home Plate Baseball and say nice things about it, oh and other stuff), and you still need to get a long cable for Quest.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

So uh

Asgard's Wrath. Yay or nay?

I like it so far, it looks great and there plenty to see and do. Crafting is fun. lots of quests. it plays a bunch with perspective, which i like. Combat is meh.

You goons with a Quest should really play The Under. Its wierd as hell, have live actors and a ton of content to discover. Its best played going in without knowing too much. Its from the devs who made Virtual Virtual reality.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

bizwank posted:

I'm not? I have a small bedroom and was still able to clear a roughly 3x4ft space by rearranging things a little, and that's been enough room to play every game I've tried so far. Yes there a few that need more room than that, but most do not. If "making space for the activity" was a barrier to gaming then everyone would be just playing on their phones/tablets.

I have a quest and easy access to a convenient playspace is the number one factor determining how often I use it

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Is it normal for the outerish area of your vision to have kind of a smudged oily fingers on glasses quality on the rift s? I double checked my IPD and I still got 63/64.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hatty posted:

Index controllers work fine with first-gen Lighthouses, and anything that doesn't have native support for Index Controllers can be messed with through SteamVR's Legacy Input system to either make them appear as Vive wands or Oculus Rift controllers to suite the individual game.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Is it normal for the outerish area of your vision to have kind of a smudged oily fingers on glasses quality on the rift s? I double checked my IPD and I still got 63/64.

I'm not sure that's how I would describe the effect, but it is definitely normal for the outer edges to be much less clear than the center of the lens. If it's crisp and clear in the center then your IPD is set correctly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How does Asgar's Wrath's combat compare to Until You Fall?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VarXX posted:

is the plus worse than the original or something because ive never had a problem with the tracking or the controllers on mine, the resolution was also really nice and i always preferred it over my vive
I consider anything where there's perceptible swim in the tracking "bad", cause that's about the only thing that makes me nauseous in VR. WMR is a little better than psvr at least. It's also me being spoiled because almost everything else on PC has rock solid tracking.

The controllers work, they're just flimsy and awkwardly laid out. The tracking fov is kind of a problem also.

But for $200...

Quornes posted:

What about the Leap Motion vr controller? I've heard interesting things about it. Thinking maybe i could combine the two?
It's cool but for most things isn't a replacement for a real controller in your hands.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm not sure that's how I would describe the effect, but it is definitely normal for the outer edges to be much less clear than the center of the lens. If it's crisp and clear in the center then your IPD is set correctly.

Idk if I'd use the words crisp and clear, like it looks okay but Idk like in game it seems mostly fine but when i'm using virtual desktop it's pretty iify to read stuff. if I look at white font or whatever on a dark background if I'm not looking exactly directly at the text they kinda cast like a ghost smear if that makes sense, not sure how to describe it. also hot drat if that aint some late 90s era K-Mart bike helmet level foam on the headset itself. I'm not trying to sound like I'm hating on it, it's pretty drat cool.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Regarding the earlier discussion on having space to do VR and the effect that has on the VR market:

Home size varies a lot by country. Finding space might not be a big deal for you guys in the US, but in places like the UK the houses are on average a third of the size, not to mention China.

Gort fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 23, 2019

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Out of curiosity, can any Index controller owners try lightly tapping them against each other (plastic to plastic contact - it needs to be a hard surface impact) and report whether that causes the tracking to freak out for a second or so? Just wanna make sure this is normal behavior.

I recently got a protube gunstock and noticed that when snapping on the front magnetic holder (e.g. after reloading) the tracking would sometimes spaz out. At first I thought I had a reflection problem (pro tip: get the more expensive carbon tubes instead of the chrome ones when using a lighthouse based system, unless you want to wrap them in iso tape like I did), but I could then reproduce the issue without the protube just by inducing "hard" shocks on the controllers. Soft surface impacts - like against your hand - don't show this issue, even on relatively hard smacks. My guess is that the tracking is actually a combination of lighthouse data and internal accelerometers, which throw off the tracking on high-G spikes caused by hard surface impacts.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yay I'm a proud Quest owner now!

I don't see Vader Immortal in my account, should it be automatically redeemed?

I still have to learn what's the best way to put the headset in a way that is comfortable and how to adjust the headset for the sweet spot. I literally have only made the tutorials.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I consider anything where there's perceptible swim in the tracking "bad", cause that's about the only thing that makes me nauseous in VR. WMR is a little better than psvr at least. It's also me being spoiled because almost everything else on PC has rock solid tracking.

ah see ive never experienced any drift or swimming with mine so thats why i was confused. its always been the same as when I was using my Vive. maybe i just got lucky? ive definitely felt it with PSVR though and its why I never use it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SirViver posted:

Out of curiosity, can any Index controller owners try lightly tapping them against each other (plastic to plastic contact - it needs to be a hard surface impact) and report whether that causes the tracking to freak out for a second or so? Just wanna make sure this is normal behavior.
I wouldn't be surprised. Impacts will cause spikes on the accelerometers, and largely any controllers do accumulate changes from accels and gyros, with frequent corrections from a reference system (Lighthouse, camera based tracking), because even on short term IMUs do drift.

I'll try to remember to test later when I play some.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Man it is great having the ability to PCVR without any noticeable latency with Link but holy cow do I notice being wired in a lot more than I thought I would.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chin Strap posted:

Man it is great having the ability to PCVR without any noticeable latency with Link but holy cow do I notice being wired in a lot more than I thought I would.

Wouldn't it be more noticeable with the Quest too, because it's hanging off the side rather than running over the back of your head?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wouldn't it be more noticeable with the Quest too, because it's hanging off the side rather than running over the back of your head?

Yeah they say the official cable will come with a management solution but for now I need to dig out my velcro straps and run it over the back in an easy way

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Did they add in dudes screaming when they get shot in Pistol Whip or am I hallucinating...?
I could've sworn the dudes were screaming when I played the game just now, and they weren't before.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
something like that happened to my buddy and let me just say that if sonic the hedgehog appears with red eyes take off the headset and run

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The shooting in Pistol Whip seems to be a bit off. That, or the tracers are wrong/delayed. I noticed a bunch of instances where I dead-eye moving targets, the tracers hit them right in the torso but the bullets don't hit.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

It appeared on my Quest like, 4 hours later.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jack Trades posted:

Did they add in dudes screaming when they get shot in Pistol Whip or am I hallucinating...?
I could've sworn the dudes were screaming when I played the game just now, and they weren't before.

The Walrus posted:

something like that happened to my buddy and let me just say that if sonic the hedgehog appears with red eyes take off the headset and run

Yeah, don't gently caress around with VR psychosis!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

drat, Oculus Link works like a dream. I certainly didn't notice any latency. The only problem right now is my Anker cord is sticking out of my headset at an awkward angle. I'll definitely be getting the official Link cord.

Also I read some reports that it was hard to set up, but it was drat-near plug and play for me once my Oculus software and Quest were both updated.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 23, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

VarXX posted:

ah see ive never experienced any drift or swimming with mine so thats why i was confused. its always been the same as when I was using my Vive. maybe i just got lucky? ive definitely felt it with PSVR though and its why I never use it.
Yeah its really dependent on environment, when I was loving around with one it would go from unusable to just a little nauseating depending on where I was and how I moved poo poo around the room. I'm sure there is probably a perfect environment where its super stable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Apparently unlike this bought article, the game itself is getting mediocre steam reviews.

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, don't gently caress around with VR psychosis!

:whitewater:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 23, 2019

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

This sounds like when I have the headset on at the wrong angle. Try adjusting the back of the ring up and down on the back of your head. I have to put it higher than I expected to get the lenses angled just right to my eyes for full clarity.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Trades posted:

Apparently unlike this bought article, the game itself is getting mediocre steam reviews.

:whitewater:

I played the opening bits, it’s a ton of fun.

It’s just straight up Metal Gear, highlight of the game for me so far was crawling on top of a server rack, walking off the edge, and then just casually dropping my fist into a dude’s head; knocked his rear end out cold. It’s score based so while you can just murder your way through, you’ll get a low mission score.

Ideally you sneak through the whole game without touching anyone it looks like, but that’s boring. Also there is one really good jump scare.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I think so, yeah. Coming from the CV1 where, for me at least, it was clear from edge to edge, the Rift S has a ring around the outer edges where it is blurrier. I have a "correct" IPD of 64-65, so I think it's just the lenses they use or maybe even my face shape. It's not a massive deal, but it is a slight disappointment. Still though even with that, it's so much better than the old CV1 I don't really have any complaints.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Espire is great cause outside of my room you hear me say "Freeze!", then a loud banging as I manage to punch a half empty monster can (thankfully closed) off my nightstand, and shout "gently caress!". Which scared everyone else in the household.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

Espire is great cause outside of my room you hear me say "Freeze!", then a loud banging as I manage to punch a half empty monster can (thankfully closed) off my nightstand, and shout "gently caress!". Which scared everyone else in the household.

My one big knock against the game is that the "FREEZE!" function is super range limited, in that there's no reaction if you try screaming it across the room.

The hand-cameras that you can shoot out with the triggers to peak around corners is fuckin' rad as hell.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I still have to learn what's the best way to put the headset in a way that is comfortable and how to adjust the headset for the sweet spot. I literally have only made the tutorials.

I had to reach out to Oculus support and they got it to me the next day. When you search for it the game should show up as "purchased" and you just have to install from there. Ran through episode 1 last night and it was really impressive though it's definitely a one and done kinda playthrough. I'm excited to bring it with me over the holidays to let my Star Wars obsessed father play with it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8a1BAolFIk

Dev showing off some action you can expect in the game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Keeping an eye on this thread in the hopes of a Occulus Rift S Blackfriday/Cyber Monday sale. :colbert:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Keeping an eye on this thread in the hopes of a Occulus Rift S Blackfriday/Cyber Monday sale. :colbert:
Already announced, its $50 off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

homeless snail posted:

Already announced, its $50 off

I'm hoping somebody puts up the deal a couple of days early. I've got family coming on Thanksgiving, and I'd love to have a Rift S setup working by then.