Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if your protagonist is nude a lot:

Good: Meek

Bad: this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
me filling up a page worth of dialogue: Wow really off topic here. Would hate to fill up all this blan-

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
magicmagicbowl.txt

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Synthbuttrange posted:

What if your protagonist is nude a lot:

Good: Meek

Bad: this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

this is a silent comic

there is no dialogue in this comic

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A STORY ENTIRELY WITHOUT DIALOGUE

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So... None of these questions are "What was that spaceship that destroyed my house? Did it kidnap the Ink Witch? Do I need to save her?"

They're just... All about the pages? And Dominic Deegan? Which has no good reason to care about?

What about your loving HOUSE

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Dominic saw Snout's dick.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
God the ineptitude on display here is staggering. The original hatewatch thread must've been amazing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

VanSandman posted:

God the ineptitude on display here is staggering. The original hatewatch thread must've been amazing.

A greatest-hits would be great except what is there to say that wasn't said already?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

VanSandman posted:

DD was much more entertaining to mock.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I'm struggling to care about this because it feels like Mookie doesn't care either. THIS is the story you want to tell?

If it's building towards something it's gonna come out of left field because there is no intrigue or reason to any of this. It's just a bunch of dumb slapstick and Snout making bad decisions.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It helped that DD was updated daily Monday through Friday, which gave a more consistent stream of poo poo to mock.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

DD was much more entertaining to mock.

My memory is amazing but I certainly don't remember it being so loving boring. Like jesus christ, at least have a villain show up and demolish everyone and then do something for 5 issues before the protagonist instantly wins through magic.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Who What Now posted:

It helped that DD was updated daily Monday through Friday, which gave a more consistent stream of poo poo to mock.

I don't think DD ever was as low-stakes as the stuff that's happening now. Even their stupid cruise around the world at least had groin-punching dwarf.

There's also something sort of comic about Mookie being so obsessed with ink and writing and pages. It's like we're watching an Oscar nominee about Hollywood, it's self-referential to the point of ridiculousness. And it makes everything sort of bog down because it makes no sense why Snout would care about these pages. But Mookie's brain is all on how cool writing and drawing are, so snout has to have this weird obsession that makes no sense for his character, what little of it there is

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 23, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Maybe this comic is just a dream of Dominic's turned into reality. :tinfoil:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

GrossMurpel posted:

My memory is amazing but I certainly don't remember it being so loving boring. Like jesus christ, at least have a villain show up and demolish everyone and then do something for 5 issues before the protagonist instantly wins through magic.

It helped that DD had antagonists to push the "plot" along.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

The Little Death posted:

There's also something sort of comic about Mookie being so obsessed with ink and writing and pages. It's like we're watching an Oscar nominee about Hollywood, it's self-referential to the point of ridiculousness. And it makes everything sort of bog down because it makes no sense why Snout would care about these pages. But monkeys brain is all on how cool writing and drawing are, so snout has to have this weird obsession that makes no sense for his character, what little of it there is

Maybe I’m extrapolating a bit too much, but I think he’s only into the ink cause in a black and white medium it looks like blood. The ink witches are covered in ink, using magic that tends to violently explode and cover people with (ink), and sometimes the ink just happens to get torn away very specifically.

Incidentally, while checking out his inktobers to make sure I wasn’t completely crazy, it looks like there is a vague idea of a story going on and we’re absolutely gonna see more dick when it gets here.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

Maybe I’m extrapolating a bit too much, but I think he’s only into the ink cause in a black and white medium it looks like blood. The ink witches are covered in ink, using magic that tends to violently explode and cover people with (ink), and sometimes the ink just happens to get torn away very specifically.

Incidentally, while checking out his inktobers to make sure I wasn’t completely crazy, it looks like there is a vague idea of a story going on and we’re absolutely gonna see more dick when it gets here.

It's because ink splatters are really, really easy to draw with no practice.

And yeah his Inktobers seem to show way more about the character of the Ink Witch than the comic does, which makes me think he hasn't thought her character out at all yet and is just drawing her as a cheesecake model. I think when she finally does show up again in the comic it'll have no relation to those drawings.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

VanSandman posted:

It was, there was even a mookie sans font for edits.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Is that really the ink witch talking to me through that pagefinder spell?

I dislike this but I can't quite pinpoint why.

Why didn't Snout just ask her, why was the deception ever necessary

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PetraCore posted:

You know what, yeah, I respect that. He sounds like a good guy and I hope he can be happy.

I do too because after reading the last 10 years of updates (so like 400 pages) the story is a lot more depressing than I remembered it being. There's a loving comatose magical girl who never got to live her own life that's apparently been behind the very confusing state of Miho being a combination of a visual novel character, a metaphyical concept, and an actual person. :confused:
The last blog update he had attached to the comic wasn't much happier and I remember him being in the hospital himself during his kickstarter. Hope life can give him a break.

The Little Death posted:

I don't think DD ever was as low-stakes as the stuff that's happening now.
Snout isn't pretending to be at the mercy of some world destroying calamity, he's a bumbling guy from the wastelands tripping his way through various monsters with no pants on. I actually miss when Mookie would tease that something bad was going to happen on a friday update, only to immediately resolve it the next monday because this is just droll.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm fine with low stakes. The problem is that Snout's priorities make absolutely no sense. There's no relating to him and his quest because it's all focused on whatever mystery Mookie seems to have in mind, and not the realities of what's in front of Snout. He cares about the things on this list because the story arbitrarily forces him to, not because the story naturally guided him to caring about them.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So... None of these questions are "What was that spaceship that destroyed my house? Did it kidnap the Ink Witch? Do I need to save her?"

They're just... All about the pages? And Dominic Deegan? Which has no good reason to care about?

What about your loving HOUSE

Presumably she wasn't hiding from the ship, since she told him to help her by finding it. We don't know what her relationship with it is, who she is, what's wrong with her, or what she was doing. It's unclear why she wants or needs to find and repair the scattered pages, seeing as it was her bag they were blowing out of way back on the very first page.

Actually, now that I say that:

Ague Proof posted:

I dislike this but I can't quite pinpoint why.

Why didn't Snout just ask her, why was the deception ever necessary

Looking back, I expect the Ink Witch has been unconscious since the first page. Her clothes are ink, which we know can move things, so it was actually just puppeteering her body. She didn't use it to communicate with Snout, it jumped off of her and told him to find the ship on its own: she didn't move at all, and he noted she was unconscious in his journal entry. When he did get the ship's attention, its black bottom half appeared to be ink, which it shot off to use for more written communication. Then, a day or two later, this clearly too intelligent animated ink note shows up to get him to go find the missing pages that had blown away.

The ink is or is controlled by a third party who wants to get ahold of Dominic's last prophesy or something, possibly for some nefarious reason. They need the missing pages to complete it because she's either comatose or dead.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 23, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I find this comic charming. Like something that would be riffed on MST3K or by Rifftrax. Only wordier.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

also how does he know there's one page left if he hasnt even found it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think the pacing is about the same as it was in DD, but it's more notable because of the difference in format. Dominic Deegan moved slow as Hell, but there was lots of meaningless banter, there'd be an attempt at a hook at the end of most strips (in the "Oh no we're falling down a mountain!"/"Never mind we're okay" sense), it updated more often, etc. You had to follow it to notice that absolutely nothing was happening.

Here there's no dialogue (or interesting art) to fill the vast empty spaces (where we used to taaaaaalk)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Emrikol posted:

The ink is or is controlled by a third party who wants to get ahold of Dominic's last prophesy or something, possibly for some nefarious reason. They need the missing pages to complete it because she's either comatose or dead.

This is actually kind of interesting which means it's likely not what's happening at all.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

This reaction gif is really funny. What is it? God of war or Skyrim or something?

I like how legacy is so boring, that we've all just adjusted to the main guy hanging dong regularly and don't even comment on it anymore. It completely owns.

As far as plot (if any) I'm definitely getting flashbacks to the old threads where it was abundantly clear, especially for major plot twists, that Mookie was making this poo poo up as he went along. I bet the ink witch is the descendant of dominic or someone from the old comic. Mookie can't possibly resist not telling us about Dominic and Luna's child of an unspecified sex. I know it's coming and I'm powerless to stop it. I feel like a silent movie heroine tied to train tracks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

This reaction gif is really funny. What is it? God of war or Skyrim or something?

it's the BOY from God of War 4

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Cool. Thanks.

I'm shocked Snout isn't also enamored of mavpel.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Snout only eats crazy Wild Edge foods! Like berries or a leaf!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alaois posted:

it's the BOY from God of War 4

https://twitter.com/zoe_dels/status/996506315349549056?s=20

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's because ink splatters are really, really easy to draw with no practice.

And yeah his Inktobers seem to show way more about the character of the Ink Witch than the comic does, which makes me think he hasn't thought her character out at all yet and is just drawing her as a cheesecake model. I think when she finally does show up again in the comic it'll have no relation to those drawings.

Oh not the inktobers, I mean this preview of a horny bard:

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1195409541137129472?s=21

Maxwell Lord posted:

I honestly think the pacing is about the same as it was in DD, but it's more notable because of the difference in format. Dominic Deegan moved slow as Hell, but there was lots of meaningless banter, there'd be an attempt at a hook at the end of most strips (in the "Oh no we're falling down a mountain!"/"Never mind we're okay" sense), it updated more often, etc. You had to follow it to notice that absolutely nothing was happening.

Here there's no dialogue (or interesting art) to fill the vast empty spaces (where we used to taaaaaalk)

It’s definitely this. When Mookie needed to move something along words would spill forth from the closest character (sometimes even characters who had never canonically spoken). Snout’s moving at the same pace but either saying nothing or recapping what we just saw. It’s Newspaper Supergreg.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I'm interested to see how Mookie will handle a bard in a comic without dialog or sound.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

"Dear Diary
Today I met a hologram bard who can play music that is visible instead of audible..."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He has a magic harp that makes his words visibly appear inside bubble-like objects above his head.

Mookie pats himself on his back for his cleverness.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The harp temporarily cures deafness. The web page plays a guitar noodling on a loop like in Rollergator.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ague Proof posted:

I'm interested to see how Mookie will handle a bard in a comic without dialog or sound.

Oh god the bard is going to be the one that spreads the rediscovered forgotten history of Deegan that Snout compiled, isn't he

Ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The bard will have a sign-language interpreter and subtitles.