Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Also the consumer isn't entitled to have games at the expense of worker's rights. Just point of fact; regardless as to whether it is true or not that it would get, "more expensive". Is it really okay to have a shirt for 5$ from slave labour?

But ultimately the final price point is because of numerous factors and that there are also many systemic issues with the AAA games industry such that, okay lets suppose there are less games, released less frequently, for a higher price.

I don't see that as bad, because presumably those games will be more of a labour of love, rather than a labour of blood, tears and folly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Mods, I will let you permaban me in exchange for Spark That Bled being banned from this thread.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

It's all I got. At least it isn't "unnamed grieving man", or whatever.

"Unnamed grieving man" is legitimately better (yet still insanely bad) than either of your examples.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Kim Justice posted:

I really just can't with these stupid arguments.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Saagonsa posted:

"Unnamed grieving man" is legitimately better (yet still insanely bad) than either of your examples.

If the next Thor movie comes out and has a scene where Valkyrie and Jane Foster kiss, I'm putting these words up with a screencap of that kiss.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Praising brands for theoretical things is loving demented

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Praising brands for theoretical things is loving demented

I'm not even praising them at this point, I'm just proving you people wrong.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Spark That Bled posted:

I'm not even praising them at this point, I'm just proving you people wrong.

what do you mean "you people"

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

If the next Thor movie comes out and has a scene where Valkyrie and Jane Foster kiss, I'm putting these words up with a screencap of that kiss.

Please for the love of god tell me that you at least understand that I'm talking about what exists now, and not whatever hypothetical future you've dreamed up

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Saagonsa posted:

Please for the love of god tell me that you at least understand that I'm talking about what exists now, and not whatever hypothetical future you've dreamed up

Yes?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I regret participating in this argument for even a single post.

Here's something better. A little while back someone in this thread posted Kruggsmash's short forts series where he plays through Dwarf Fortress setting up gimmicky forts. He spices up the presentation a bit with some fun illustrations throughout the videos.

I've been watching a few of them and they're oddly relaxing and generally pleasant. I've been enjoying his latest Skullhorror series, which starts here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG3e3wYCQU4

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kruggsmash is good and I'm glad his viewerbase has been steadily increasing.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
For whatever reason videos about Dwarf Fortress don't really do it for me compared to the mostly-defunct screenshot LP format, but I'm intensely happy that terrible hellfort LPs are still kicking on.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Spark That Bled posted:

I mean this is also a little weird and ultra specific; hopefully we do see more explicit onscreen gay and lesbian romance and that they don't censor themselves to appeal to the Chinese market.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Mischievous Mink posted:

Loved his sewer level joke. It's a real shame the source port for Dark Forces was left abandoned when it was so close to completion.

I tried to play Dark Forces recently and couldn't get past the sewer level. I had no idea how to find the guy and a gamefaqs walkthrough I checked did not help at all.

Bug Squash posted:

It's hugely strong, but sadly hamstrung by the weakest antagonist in JoJo. Diavolo suffers for coming right after Kira Yoshikage, the best villian in animé, but he also fails to have any charisma or presence, or even generate any particular heat with the cast.

I blame Araki locking him in the Mystery Box for most of the plot. Jury's still out on JoJolion, but hopefully this won't be as big a problem there as it is here.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Kruggsmash's Short Forts series is such a great idea. Just enough time to try out weird ideas and show the unexpected consequences, and simple enough to get even though I've barely touched Dwarf Fortress.

Kim Justice posted:

I really just can't with these stupid arguments.

Eh, it's funny enough to skim through and there's not much content that's getting buried.

Although Dan's take on COPPA and YouTube didn't get much attention. I think he did a good job highlighting that YouTube isn't just doing typical algorithm above all else stuff, but is actively trying to find a way to not have to completely lose the children's market that they cultivated and they don't care how much it hurts their channels.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

what do you mean "you people"

People with brain cells.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm dying, kupo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

i'm dying, kupo

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Dean of Swing posted:

People with brain cells.

I just can't even bother.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Forgot to mention that I completely, actively ignored every Spyro game since Enter the Dragonfly because that game was the loving pits.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

incredibly powerful aids fields emanating from the thread at this moment. trapped between two trenches one holds the residue from fukushima cleanup which has taken human form and it thinks my saying that im going to drown him in tidal semen waves the impact of which are gonna dislocate his cervical vertebrae is legally actionable death threats and on the other side a collection of twitter screenshots tells me in deafening chorus that the movies where the hosed up protagonist with self destructive tendencies is framed as a role model of sorts instead of scathing criticism. i am massacred as my ammunition is a series of stupefied reactions and i've run out of every permutation of dumbstruck eyebrow eye and mouth positions. the thread then continues to talk for 50 pages about star wars and what the trailer for the next avengers could mean in the context of the trump elections, and as i enter purgatory i cleave my own dick and balls off and begin a path of nomadic asceticism.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
is hellbanning still a thing. please do that to spark that bled and the breadtube refugee guy.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

the rat at the end of the departed is bisexual, checkmate atheists

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

fun hater posted:

is hellbanning still a thing. please do that to spark that bled and the breadtube refugee guy.

I'd like to ask you why, but I think I know the response I would get.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Bug Squash posted:

Video games are actually the cheapest they've even been in my lifetime, and probably yours too unless you're into your forties. They've hovered around the £40-50 mark (or local equivalent) for decades. Accounting for inflation, that means they've just been getting cheaper.

That point aside, I think you're mostly right that it would make the production overall more expensive. In practice this isn't going to make the final product more expensive, since that price point is quite important for keeping sales up. So instead of raising prices, AAA games would probably have less labour put into them. That sounds like it would result in worse games, but in modern times that extra effort has just been going into doing stupid crap like ultra high graphics and modeling horse testicles. I think games would probably be overall improved but removing that cruft.

For other products, overall yes, prices would be slightly higher especially where labour is the major cost if the unions are effective at improving wages. The thing to bear in mind is that improved wages would more than compensate for this. Inflation would be running at a slightly higher rate, but we would all in general be better off.

If there is an industry would actually be brought down by fair wages and safe conditions, then frankly that is an industry that should not exist.

I know when I was younger, new games were $50 USD, but when 7th gen consoles hit, the price went up to $60. I chalked that up to the cost of games being on Blu-Ray discs (there was a time where PC releases were still $50), but now $60 seems to be the standard for new, A-range games. I do know (from browsing through old PC game catalog) that in the 80's and 90's, software would sometimes be up to $80.

I'm with you on the reduced labor for AAA games. As it is now, I feel like a lot of games feel bloated and overproduced (if that makes sense), and I think there's a lot of people who would prefer having something that ran well and was fun to play over cutting-edge HDR-lit 4K-textured productions that end in like 6 hours. Like I said, it would eliminate crunch time, because most employers don't want to pay overtime or double-time.

Outside of video games, though, it's probably a different bag. I think (I'm not sure) that one of our local grocery stores is union, and while that's good for the people for work there, I think the cost of groceries there is slightly higher than it is compared to somewhere like Walmart. I can't remember for sure (I'm not good about recalling the prices at the places I shop), and the differences might be negligible, but there are some other factors at play as well (inflation, as you mentioned; cost of living; location; convenience; etc.).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Max Wilco posted:

I know when I was younger, new games were $50 USD, but when 7th gen consoles hit, the price went up to $60. I chalked that up to the cost of games being on Blu-Ray discs (there was a time where PC releases were still $50), but now $60 seems to be the standard for new, A-range games. I do know (from browsing through old PC game catalog) that in the 80's and 90's, software would sometimes be up to $80.

I'm with you on the reduced labor for AAA games. As it is now, I feel like a lot of games feel bloated and overproduced (if that makes sense), and I think there's a lot of people who would prefer having something that ran well and was fun to play over cutting-edge HDR-lit 4K-textured productions that end in like 6 hours. Like I said, it would eliminate crunch time, because most employers don't want to pay overtime or double-time.

Outside of video games, though, it's probably a different bag. I think (I'm not sure) that one of our local grocery stores is union, and while that's good for the people for work there, I think the cost of groceries there is slightly higher than it is compared to somewhere like Walmart. I can't remember for sure (I'm not good about recalling the prices at the places I shop), and the differences might be negligible, but there are some other factors at play as well (inflation, as you mentioned; cost of living; location; convenience; etc.).

Nobody can force you to give a poo poo about the living conditions of the people who make your games or sell you your food; but a union can force management to do something about it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i cant believe the breadtube thread was keeping the rest of the forums safe this entire time

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Acute Grill posted:

Mods, I will let you permaban me in exchange for Spark That Bled being banned from this thread.

Please take Raenir too, brave hero.

Also Kruggsmash is a really cool dude and his long series forts are great to listen to while relaxing with something.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Spark That Bled posted:

It's because you suck incredibly large shits.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Back in my youth, hand held games tended to go for approx. 50 Mark / 25 Euros and SNES-games started at 100 Mark but could go up to 139 (that was what Donkey Kong Country cost my parents and they reminded me of this for years) Mark / approx. 70 Euros.

So, without taking inflation into account, hand-held games became more expensive, while the price for mainline-consoles actually went down.

With inflation, the modern standard price of approx. 59,99 Euros per game is actually a lot cheaper then the old prices (though probably not that much in the case of hand-helds)

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Yardbomb posted:

It's because you suck incredibly large shits.

So basically, you're just ganging up on me because what, I'm not going along with the group?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spark That Bled posted:

It's hilarious because I'm not even from the Breadtube thread, I merely happen to be a wanderer passing by into there a couple of days before it got gassed.

Spark That Bled posted:

So basically, you're just ganging up on me because what, I'm not going along with the group?

Eeeeh I don't think this is the right track, some people are just going to be assholes and trying to reason with them will just appear to them as a sign of weakness; just enjoy the fact that your mere existence enrages them. What's the worst they can do, buy you a snippy avatar?

e:

Max Wilco posted:

The video game industry just happened to be a convenient one to discuss because Jim Sterling produced like 30 videos detailing its abuses. The arguments are interchangeable with any other industry. If the price is artificially low because wages are low, then maybe that's a problem; the end goal isn't the lowest possible price for all things. If your wages are higher, then food being more expensive is no net change but all other material conditions are also likely improved.

For example, if the people making your food are unionized, maybe your own job is also a union and you also have benefits, sick days, vacation, protections and a lot less stress and so on in addition to a higher wage?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 23, 2019

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Spark That Bled posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Spark That Bled posted:

No, you're just an insufferable dumbfuck, I wouldn't care if you're a 1/1 on my beliefs, you try and pull the most pitiful gotchas on the most inane things and it's tiresome.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Libluini posted:

Back in my youth, hand held games tended to go for approx. 50 Mark / 25 Euros and SNES-games started at 100 Mark but could go up to 139 (that was what Donkey Kong Country cost my parents and they reminded me of this for years) Mark / approx. 70 Euros.

So, without taking inflation into account, hand-held games became more expensive, while the price for mainline-consoles actually went down.

With inflation, the modern standard price of approx. 59,99 Euros per game is actually a lot cheaper then the old prices (though probably not that much in the case of hand-helds)

I have to think the transition from cartridges to discs was a factor, because I remember reading that part of the reasons why games cost so much was because cartridges were expensive to produce.

Raenir Salazar posted:

For example, if the people making your food are unionized, maybe your own job is also a union and you also have benefits, sick days, vacation, protections and a lot less stress and so on in addition to a higher wage?

Isn't that what I was saying? :confused:

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Yardbomb posted:

No, you're just an insufferable dumbfuck.

I'm sorry that I offend you so greatly with my somewhat divisive opinions on Marvel movies.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nobody is offended by what you are saying, they just want you to stop talking because you are incredibly stupid and massively annoying to deal with

there is actually a difference.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Acute Grill posted:

Um, have you forgotten their brave move by creating their first openly gay character in the 23rd movie: unnamed grieving man.

Who, for some reason, was played by one of the directors (who isn't gay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Max Wilco posted:

Isn't that what I was saying? :confused:

I'm focusing on "Outside of video games, though, it's probably a different bag".