Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

The problem with wanting more things like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is that it's the best one—everything else will pale in comparison to that perfectly-wound script. For more modern stuff I'd say Fincher's films have similar qualities, Social Network especially. Frost/Nixon has a lot of that same DNA. Good Night and Good Luck. There Will Be Blood. The Constant Gardener. You can probably pull a list of "political thrillers" that will send you down a good path. But TTSS to me feels very much like a 60s/early 70s drama, so tapping into that more might scratch the itch for you—The Conversation, All the President's Men, Three Days of the Condor. And it wouldn't hurt to catch Smiley's People and really any other le Carre adaptation, even if none of them can match the brilliance of TTSS.

Depends on your definition of good, and on your flexibility on what constitutes Cyberpunk. Blade Runner/2049, Brazil, Akira, and the first Matrix are really the only excellent full-on "classic" Cyberpunk films as the genre tends to be defined in pop culture.

If you're willing to get weird with it, though, you can throw in all kinds of movies and TV shows—Metropolis, La Jetee/12 Monkeys, Alphaville, THX-1138, World on a Wire, Eraserhead, Stalker, the Max Headroom TV series, the Robocop TV series and movies, Her, the first season of Westworld, The Animatrix, Gattaca, Dark City, Minority Report, Inception, Total Recall, Altered Carbon, Batman Beyond, Children of Men, Total Recall 2070 (okay, guilty pleasure), a whole bunch of anime, and the entirety of reality in 2019. The lines blur between dystopian sci-fi and cyberpunk often.

dark city seems neat, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

dark city seems neat, thank you

Just make sure you watch the Director's Cut.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I thoroughly enjoyed The Conversation so thanks again :v:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

The problem with wanting more things like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is that it's the best one—everything else will pale in comparison to that perfectly-wound script. For more modern stuff I'd say Fincher's films have similar qualities, Social Network especially. Frost/Nixon has a lot of that same DNA. Good Night and Good Luck. There Will Be Blood. The Constant Gardener. You can probably pull a list of "political thrillers" that will send you down a good path. But TTSS to me feels very much like a 60s/early 70s drama, so tapping into that more might scratch the itch for you—The Conversation, All the President's Men, Three Days of the Condor. And it wouldn't hurt to catch Smiley's People and really any other le Carre adaptation, even if none of them can match the brilliance of TTSS.

Depends on your definition of good, and on your flexibility on what constitutes Cyberpunk. Blade Runner/2049, Brazil, Akira, and the first Matrix are really the only excellent full-on "classic" Cyberpunk films as the genre tends to be defined in pop culture.

If you're willing to get weird with it, though, you can throw in all kinds of movies and TV shows—Metropolis, La Jetee/12 Monkeys, Alphaville, THX-1138, World on a Wire, Eraserhead, Stalker, the Max Headroom TV series, the Robocop TV series and movies, Her, the first season of Westworld, The Animatrix, Gattaca, Dark City, Minority Report, Inception, Total Recall, Altered Carbon, Batman Beyond, Children of Men, Total Recall 2070 (okay, guilty pleasure), a whole bunch of anime, and the entirety of reality in 2019. The lines blur between dystopian sci-fi and cyberpunk often.

Strange Days maybe? Very good film. Probably qualifies.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

therattle posted:

Strange Days maybe? Very good film. Probably qualifies.

Yea, that was what I was going to post. Probably my favorite Kathryn Bigelow film too all things considered.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Just watched a movie called Perfect that recently appeared in Shudder. I nearly mistook it for a Panos Cosmatos movie, thinking he might have made it under an alt name or something.

The acting from the main character is not very good and the dialog also isn't the best, but the visuals are a combination of Beyond the Black Rainbow combined with 1980's style vaporwave.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Jacob's Ladder (1990) is superb, and really nails dark psychadelic horror in a visceral way.

Also Danny Aiello (RIP 12/13/19) plays a superb role as some kind of helping angel/demon masseuse, and his Meister Eckhart quote is something I still think about often.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Telebite posted:

Just watched a movie called Perfect that recently appeared in Shudder. I nearly mistook it for a Panos Cosmatos movie, thinking he might have made it under an alt name or something.

The acting from the main character is not very good and the dialog also isn't the best, but the visuals are a combination of Beyond the Black Rainbow combined with 1980's style vaporwave.

Too bad it's flawed, I loved the trailer

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the best movies are flawed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Slaapaav posted:

the best movies are flawed

No they're not. Robocop has no flaws and it's the best action movie.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I watched Blue Ruin and Hell or Highwater recently and both were awesome. I want to watch other stuff like them. Good low budget thrillers please.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I watched Blue Ruin and Hell or Highwater recently and both were awesome. I want to watch other stuff like them. Good low budget thrillers please.
The Rover.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Neither of those movies were really low budget, but good films like those I've seen recently are Green Room (same director of Blue Ruin), I Don''t Want to Live in the World Anymore (directed by the star of Blue Ruin), Cop Car, and for a very good actually low budget (like $6k) thriller, I thought The Battery was a really fun take on the zombie genre.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Any good recent movies like Love Actually? Another similar movie that comes to mind is The Holiday. Feel-good movie with some romance in a holiday setting.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've got serious Epstein brain. I've seen JFK and Eyes Wide Shut recently, what's next?

You Were Never Really Here

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Hey guys! With "Top Gun: Maverick" coming out soon I thought drop by and give a little of what I consider the best aviation movies, most of these are "good" usually solely based on the flying scenes themselves, but occasionally you get a great movie part as well.

Battle of Britain 1969 - Basically the end all be all of WW2 aviation films. Guy Hamilton of Goldfinger fame. Involved a production so large that after travelling around the world to find all the aircraft, United Artists wound up fielding the tenth largest air force in the world, albeit outmoded Spits and 109s. Most of the pilots in the production were actual WW2 fighter pilots. Some of them, and a few of the aircraft, were actual BoB veterans. Hamilton basically told them to go up and just do what came natural to them. As a result it is the best depiction of aerial combat put to film. Great score and a cast that includes Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer, Curd Jurgens, Susannah York, Robert Shaw, Ian McShane, and Lawrence Olivier. It just the absolute best.

Top Gun 1986 - Great flying scenes, good cast, rocking soundtrack. Cheezy but essential. Not actually the best F-14 movie.

The Hunters 1958 - Basically the same description as Top Gun except with F-86 Sabers. Robert Mitchum and Robert Wagner. Great montage of an "Ace Race" with the pilots' canopy rails being adorned with an ever larger collection of red stars.

The Final Countdown 1980 - Goofy scif-fi story with the USS Nimitz being transported to Hawaii on Dec 6th 1941. The best F-14 movie. Involves a dogfight with two F-14s vs a pair of Mitsubishi A6M Zeroes, and also the best footage of aircraft carrier operations outside of a documentary. Includes a scene of an actual in flight emergency with an A-7 taking the barrier when the hook didn't drop. Stars Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen and :siren:produced by Lloyd loving Kaufman:siren:

The Spirit of St. Louis 1957 - Stars Jimmy Stewart (a pilot and actual USAF Brigadier General) as Charles Lindbergh, written and directed by Billy Wilder. Focuses pretty much just on Lindbergh's flying career, which is a good move considering he was a lovely nazi. Otherwise great aviation stuff, and Jimmy Stewart makes friends with a housefly who hitches a ride to Ireland.

30 Seconds Over Tokyo 1944 - Spencer Tracy flies B-25s in the best depiction of the Doolittle Raid. Purestrain WW2 propaganda film, written by Dalton Trumbo.

I'll probably drop in tomorrow and a few to this.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Julius CSAR posted:

Hey guys! With "Top Gun: Maverick" coming out soon I thought drop by and give a little of what I consider the best aviation movies, most of these are "good" usually solely based on the flying scenes themselves, but occasionally you get a great movie part as well.

Battle of Britain 1969 - Basically the end all be all of WW2 aviation films. Guy Hamilton of Goldfinger fame. Involved a production so large that after travelling around the world to find all the aircraft, United Artists wound up fielding the tenth largest air force in the world, albeit outmoded Spits and 109s. Most of the pilots in the production were actual WW2 fighter pilots. Some of them, and a few of the aircraft, were actual BoB veterans. Hamilton basically told them to go up and just do what came natural to them. As a result it is the best depiction of aerial combat put to film. Great score and a cast that includes Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer, Curd Jurgens, Susannah York, Robert Shaw, Ian McShane, and Lawrence Olivier. It just the absolute best.

Top Gun 1986 - Great flying scenes, good cast, rocking soundtrack. Cheezy but essential. Not actually the best F-14 movie.

The Hunters 1958 - Basically the same description as Top Gun except with F-86 Sabers. Robert Mitchum and Robert Wagner. Great montage of an "Ace Race" with the pilots' canopy rails being adorned with an ever larger collection of red stars.

The Final Countdown 1980 - Goofy scif-fi story with the USS Nimitz being transported to Hawaii on Dec 6th 1941. The best F-14 movie. Involves a dogfight with two F-14s vs a pair of Mitsubishi A6M Zeroes, and also the best footage of aircraft carrier operations outside of a documentary. Includes a scene of an actual in flight emergency with an A-7 taking the barrier when the hook didn't drop. Stars Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen and :siren:produced by Lloyd loving Kaufman:siren:

The Spirit of St. Louis 1957 - Stars Jimmy Stewart (a pilot and actual USAF Brigadier General) as Charles Lindbergh, written and directed by Billy Wilder. Focuses pretty much just on Lindbergh's flying career, which is a good move considering he was a lovely nazi. Otherwise great aviation stuff, and Jimmy Stewart makes friends with a housefly who hitches a ride to Ireland.

30 Seconds Over Tokyo 1944 - Spencer Tracy flies B-25s in the best depiction of the Doolittle Raid. Purestrain WW2 propaganda film, written by Dalton Trumbo.

I'll probably drop in tomorrow and a few to this.

I remember Memphis Belle being pretty good. Is The Hunters based on James Salter’s beautiful book?

I haven’t seen it but isn’t Hell’s Angels (1930) well regarded?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Best war movie?

Waltz with Bashir
I have yet to see another movie do such a good job covering PTSD, or the general atmosphere and tension of modern low intensity conflict.

That poo poo stopped me in my tracks, and is likely a permanent resident in my top 10 list

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

therattle posted:

I remember Memphis Belle being pretty good. Is The Hunters based on James Salter’s beautiful book?

I haven’t seen it but isn’t Hell’s Angels (1930) well regarded?

Memphis Belle is actually not good. I remember loving it as a kid, but my dad hated it. Then after I grew up and read a lot more about B-17 campaigns I wound up not liking it either. Supposedly Spielberg and Hanks are working on a third HBO series about the 8th Air Force, but who knows.

Yes, The Hunters is based on James Salter's book, but bears little resemblance to it. Consider them very separate things. The book is a million times better, but the movie has wonderful footage.

I've never seen Hell's Angels but it's considered a classic, and much like Battle of Britain involved buying basically an entire Air Force's worth of surplus fighter planes. The Germans are really flying Fokker D.VIIs!

A couple of others:

The Aviator 2004 - Mostly about Hughes specifically, but plenty of great airplane stuff, much of it revolving around the aforementioned Hell's Angels. Personal story, a good friend of my family built a Fokker D.VII replica that appeared in the movie, and I helped take it apart for it's trip to Hollywood and rebuilt upon return. That one piece top wing was mad heavy and I'm glad the plane now hangs from ceiling in the National WW1 Museum.

Twelve O'Clock High 1949 - The last word in movies about bomber crews. Watch this instead of Memphis Belle. Mainly about the weight of command, and Gregory Peck is fantastic as always. Was often used in training seminars on how to manage people. Part of the production included landing a B-17 gear up, pretty wild. Flown by the same guy who flies through the billboard in It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World.

The Great Waldo Pepper 1975 - Robert Redford as a post WW2 barnstormer. Really highlights the dangers of early aviation, and not a whole lot of happy moments. Personal story, my family owns a large chunk of fabric from the aircraft flown by the character "Ernst Kessler" who cut it out and gave it to my dad as a gift when the guy was restoring the aircraft. My only piece of Hollywood memorabilia.

The Blue Max 1966 - George Peppard stars as a former German infantryman in WW1 who becomes a pilot, solely for personal fame and glory. Peppard plays a real motherfucker in this movie and his hate for the upper crust even as he indulges himself is palpable. Great flying scenes. at 156 minutes it's pretty long though.

quote:

Bruno Stachel: Chivalry? To kill a man, then make a ritual out of saluting him - that's hypocrisy. They kill me, I don't want anyone to salute.

Willi von Klugermann: They probably won't.
Yeah, The Blue Max kicks rear end

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hell's Angels is excellent, though it's been years since I've seen it and my memory is hazy beyond really liking it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What are the best movies that have Arthurian subject matter, or at least something close to it? Ideally looking for things that play it straight, rather than trying to be subversive or comical.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bongo Bill posted:

What are the best movies that have Arthurian subject matter, or at least something close to it? Ideally looking for things that play it straight, rather than trying to be subversive or comical.

Excalibur

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I liked it a lot. Are there any others worth mentioning?

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

Bongo Bill posted:

I liked it a lot. Are there any others worth mentioning?

There's Lancelot du lac and Perceval le gallois but both may fall on the subversive side of things you were wanting to avoid. Subversive in presentation rather than theme and story (deeply austere and antiheroic on one hand, hyperartificial with pantomime sets in the other). I don't know. Give them a chance if they're available, you might like them.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I had seen Wim Wender's Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire back in the 1990's and I remember how much I really liked both films. For some reason, I never watched any more Wim Wenders movies. I have no idea why!

That is, until last night, when I decided to watch the full nearly 5 hour long cut of Until the End of the World that's currently up on The Criterion Channel. It was made in 1991 and takes place in 1999, so there's a lot of guesses as to what the future would be like, and save for the Internet, most things he got pretty accurate, even though it's off to a certain degree. Things like GPS and video phones for example, but some things are spot on, like widescreen flat panel HDTV displays.

The movie "felt" long but did not "feel" like 5 hours. If you have the time to watch it it's really no different than binging a 6 - 8 episode series of 40 - 50 minute long episodes.

Highly recommended!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Telebite posted:

I had seen Wim Wender's Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire back in the 1990's and I remember how much I really liked both films. For some reason, I never watched any more Wim Wenders movies. I have no idea why!

That is, until last night, when I decided to watch the full nearly 5 hour long cut of Until the End of the World that's currently up on The Criterion Channel. It was made in 1991 and takes place in 1999, so there's a lot of guesses as to what the future would be like, and save for the Internet, most things he got pretty accurate, even though it's off to a certain degree. Things like GPS and video phones for example, but some things are spot on, like widescreen flat panel HDTV displays.

The movie "felt" long but did not "feel" like 5 hours. If you have the time to watch it it's really no different than binging a 6 - 8 episode series of 40 - 50 minute long episodes.

Highly recommended!

If you're trying to get into Wenders, I'd really recommend The American Friend, which probably has a thicker sense of atmosphere than any other neo-noir I've ever seen, along with Bruno Ganz and Dennis Hopper acting off of each other. Definite must see.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Gimme some samurai films. I've seen the Kurosawas and half-watched Harakiri one time.

I've got basically all streaming including Criterion Channel and I'd spend on a rental if it's worth it

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

morestuff posted:

Gimme some samurai films. I've seen the Kurosawas and half-watched Harakiri one time.

I've got basically all streaming including Criterion Channel and I'd spend on a rental if it's worth it

Sword of Doom
Kill
Three Outlaw Samurai
(not exactly a samurai movie but rules) Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan

And I've only seen the first couple Lone Wolf and Cub and Zatoichi movies but I think they're all on Criterion.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Seconding all of those. You could spend a month watching Zatoichi and Lone Wolf & Cub alone and never be bored. I'd also recommend Lady Snowblood.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you want to mix things up with a weird hybrid, consider "GI Samurai"

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

A few more:

Demons
Sword of the Beast
Chushingura

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

A few more:

Demons

You know, I never really thought of Demons as a samurai movie, but I guess it does have some pretty sweet katana action.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Cruising through the Lone Wolf and Cub movies (which are incredible so far) then doubling back on some of those others, thanks for the recs everybody

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sleazy 60s or 70s vampire movie? The more gothic and and more exploitative and more European the better. Bonus points for melancholy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Twins of Evil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Ri5W6GmHU

Gothic and European but on the mild end of sleaziness

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Very horny, Peter Cushing, on Amazon, looks great. Was also eyeing Fascination but Twins seems more like that I was thinking of. Thanks!

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 5, 2020

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

For clarity, I meant this Demons

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FitFortDanga posted:

For clarity, I meant this Demons

drat, directed by the funeral parade of roses guy? I’m shocked I hadn’t heard of this

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just saw The Girl with all the Gifts and I thought it was pretty great and I'd like to watch more movies with a similar underlying story --humana becoming extinct due to a new evolution of the species. The book version of I Am Legend would count, same for Childhood's End. I feel like I wouldn't count the Terminator movies though.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Not exactly what you're asking for, but at least more closely related than the Terminator movies, I'd suggest checking out Automata and I Am Mother on Netflix if you're interested in a robot angle on that general theme.