Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I finished my freeway 100% finally. Freeways seem to be rugged, my oldest ones look like they’re still at 95%.

My oldest zip lines have 35% integrity. The thought of having to maintain them every week is pretty daunting, and frankly I think I’m just gonna let them deteriorate and that will be the end of my time in this game.

The candle burned hot, it burned bright, but it’s not gonna burn long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

I finished my freeway 100% finally. Freeways seem to be rugged, my oldest ones look like they’re still at 95%.

My oldest zip lines have 35% integrity. The thought of having to maintain them every week is pretty daunting, and frankly I think I’m just gonna let them deteriorate and that will be the end of my time in this game.

You're forgetting that your structures appear in other people's worlds too. Chances are a good chunk of them will survive through being maintained by others.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I dunno, it looks like the crumbling is sooner than I thought. Everything with a red dot is now inoperable because it fell below 20% durability

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have two roads to go, because one wants like 2000 chirileum and I already dumped several thousand into it already.

Also one of my roads is like...85% or something? Mama's Zipline is like 30%

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Lol what if in a couple weeks everyone’s worlds turn into graveyards because nobody wants to maintain several dozen structures

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Lol what if in a couple weeks everyone’s worlds turn into graveyards because nobody wants to maintain several dozen structures

I think the durability rate doesn't lend itself for new players picking up the game when we're all done with it. I know for sure I'm going to platinum it and then ignore the game until there's a swath of new content.

Also Chapter 8 God damnit Kojima, even my wife (who has been getting emotionally invested in this game) thought that entire Heartman scene of him breaking the fourth wall was what the gently caress

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if the durability is really the same for all players though, it would be weird if new players would only come across structures that are mostly destroyed or already disabled in a couple of weeks, would lead to a very different experience.

The fact that the roads operate on a different logic might suggest that object placement might be shared, but object durability might not be. New players will also probably be matched on the same shard as other players with similar progress, so that might not even be an issue.

I wonder if the amount of local game saves indicate that story progression, deliveries, ratings and objects are all separated though. If they are then hats off for loading that stuff in separately and thus reducing loading times.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I finished the game tonight. The story had a real good mix of stuff I genuinely loved, and stuff it was fun to laugh at for being so cheesy. (Ep 9/10) I can't decide which of those categories the Princess Beach/"Beach" references fit into.

E: Also, I defeated Higgs by throwing a broken PS4 at him, so that ruled.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just finished. What a journey. Overall great story, with some extremely wonky writing but it's all so genuine I can appreciate a lot (BUT NOT ALL) of the faults.

The gameplay shines. It's really nice to play such an engaging title that didn't focus on killing dudes (not that that's not fun). Great performances from everyone, especially giving a lot of the material they had to work with.

I loving hate Higgs. What an insanely obnoxious character. I got PTSD flashbacks to Lex Luthor in Batman v Superman. Just absolute misery every time he was on screen. Loved his fights though, those were ace. I was glad as soon as he was out of the story. Really bizarre given how much fun all the other characters are in their own way.

Looking forward to playing through again once this hits PC.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Oh and I just now figured out you can hold x instead of scrolling to it everytime in inventory menus. Fml

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm just following the story so far, not playing the game yet. So when I do start actually playing which could be weeks or months from now, will my game world be filled with random stuff from people who have played before me? Even at the early missions?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
thats how the game works yeah, go offline mode if that bothers you

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm just following the story so far, not playing the game yet. So when I do start actually playing which could be weeks or months from now, will my game world be filled with random stuff from people who have played before me? Even at the early missions?

The first time you go through a section lof the map it's offline, and other players creations dont appear until you complete the story mission to bring that area online.

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Yes and no. There will be a lot of structures, but only once you’ve connected the region. The structures also seem to be limited to what you have already unlocked meaning no end game structures right when you step out the door. I think there are some exceptions but for the most part while playing that’s how it felt.

Also while there are a lot of structures the general infrastructure will not be complete so you’re going to be building a bunch of crap

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I just restarted the game after finishing a week-ish ago and the starting area is interesting to me now. probably don't need to spoil but - very intricate environment with density of natural features probably never repeated again in the game. Even the mountains leading up to spiritualist or the final leg to the "cross" doesn't have such intricate formations or frequency of waterfalls. Obviously they gave the area a couple passes to amp it up but now I am looking at it all in hindsight

Also I wish I could play the whole game with the cool starting porter suit. it had fake sculpted muscles like a batman suit...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hatastrophe posted:

Yes and no. There will be a lot of structures, but only once you’ve connected the region. The structures also seem to be limited to what you have already unlocked meaning no end game structures right when you step out the door. I think there are some exceptions but for the most part while playing that’s how it felt.

Also while there are a lot of structures the general infrastructure will not be complete so you’re going to be building a bunch of crap

You can actually turn this off in the settings so you get player buildings appearing before you unlock them, don't know why you would want to do this though.

DaveKap posted:

I'm still not getting my point across.

Imagine this is the tip of a mountain
/\
Now imagine this letter 'i' represents a zip line building and the point where the zipline connects is the dot in the "i"
i/\
The zipline could have been placed 10 meters to the right and been on top of the mountain but instead it's 10 meters to the left and completely blocked from being able to zip over the mountain. THAT is what I kept finding.

A lot of my ziplines are in weird places to fit in with the existing online ones or whatever other player buildings and stuff block them. The placement probably makes more sense in their game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the easiest missions to take to grind delivery timer status? LoL missions?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
probably, im only at 48 :|

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oh and I just now figured out you can hold x instead of scrolling to it everytime in inventory menus. Fml

The menus are weird in that they have, like, a learning curve. They seem clunky at first but you learn tricks that make them actually pretty quick for the things you're doing frequently. Another trick: you can hold down square in inventory lists and move the cursor up or down to select a bunch of items in a row, kind of like drag-selecting things with a mouse.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

marktheando posted:

A lot of my ziplines are in weird places to fit in with the existing online ones or whatever other player buildings and stuff block them. The placement probably makes more sense in their game.
I give up. The point I'm making is that it makes no sense in anybody's game but it's impossible to illustrate why unless I record a video about these awful placements.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

DaveKap posted:

I give up. The point I'm making is that it makes no sense in anybody's game but it's impossible to illustrate why unless I record a video about these awful placements.

It’s ok I feel your pain. I had the same issues in my game with stupidly placed zip lines everywhere

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What you're missing is that this is fundamentally not a lone-survivor game. It's a game about rebuilding. Having other people out and about building things you can use, and you in turn, means the world isn't as terrible and lonely a place as it was before you got the Chiral Network online.

I get that! But I haven’t had to build a single thing beyond the mission-mandated things yet, and I never really need to plan a route because if there’s a tricky point I can guarantee there’ll be a ladder or climbing rope there already.

The overall world-building is great, I just want to do more exploring myself. If other players’ structures only gradually started to appear I’d be much happier.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

delete other peoples poo poo if you want to do it yourself

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Goddamn maxing out the UCA before going to the superstorm in Lake Knot felt fantastic since AFAIK there are no prerendered cutscenes so Sam was rocking the full star set throughout the whole epilogue :hellyeah:
I also tried out calling out during the final boss to see if there's any new lines, Sam called "A little help here?!" and I was loving pelted with multi-rocket launchers :allears: The next line was "We doing this or what?!"

Worst gameplay mechanic is easily "Out of range" having higher priority than "Obstacle detected". Jesus Christ.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Juche Couture posted:

I get that! But I haven’t had to build a single thing beyond the mission-mandated things yet, and I never really need to plan a route because if there’s a tricky point I can guarantee there’ll be a ladder or climbing rope there already.

The overall world-building is great, I just want to do more exploring myself. If other players’ structures only gradually started to appear I’d be much happier.

Once you get to ziplines you'll probably be able to scratch that itch. It's very unlikely that whoever's stuff is showing up in your game will have built a zipline network that takes you everywhere you want to go, so that'll be on you to finish.

You can always forge new paths, too; just because someone put a ladder or a rope down somewhere doesn't mean you have to go that way. You can challenge yourself by trying to find a way around it, or put down a ladder or a rope on a new cliff, and build a road for someone else. Or just go offline and make it all disappear, whatever you want to do.

I do think that by the time you get into the snow, you'll start to be thankful for some existing infrastructure though. I really came to appreciate some of the safehouses and generators that people had laid down for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
People, if you climb up a rope, THROW THE ROPE DOWN WHEN YOURE DONE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Juche Couture posted:

it's not so much about your own necessity, is the thing

even if you have some structures nearby that help you, they might not appear in other players' games. slap down a couple of your own and they might show up for someone else. it's about mutual cooperation

this will be demonstrated much, much better when you start making deliveries in later areas

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Juche Couture posted:

if there’s a tricky point I can guarantee there’ll be a ladder or climbing rope there already.

Just pretend it's the NPC porters, if there's a best path between two points, someone, even NPCs will use it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is the reason I can’t see the terrorist zone west of mountain knot, because some of the zone out of chiral network, or is there something else I have to do?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Steve Yun posted:

Highways seem to be repaired every time another player in your "server" (or however it determines what players you connect with) builds the same one in their game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ok more random findings... I noted before that on a zip line you will fly through BTs without getting caught. HOWEVER if you stop at a zip line node and a BT starts sniffing at you, they can pull you down while you’re stationary.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just beat the game! Oh yes. Loved it, awesome game, good times, definitely my GOTY. 140+ hours.

So chapter 15, ending and stuff talk folks: postgame stuff, is there any new stuff to see and do here, story wise? I took a look at the Cliff memories you can view by looking at your models, two are highlighted, but they seem to just be replaying those ending scenes. I just let the bottom one play out to see if there was anything new in it or at the end, but seemed the same.

Back in chapter 12 or whenever I did love the Pizza delivery guy easter egg, what a twist, and the thing with the Elder. Any other things like that?

I really dug the story throughout, the last few chapters as well, for sure a bit intense and surreal to take in. Felt a bit like one of those heavy movies when the credits rolled. It sure got heavy. I tend to just go with surreal stuff like this, like stuff from the recent Twin Peaks, and I'm cool with multiverse or time or whatnot explaining how these events happened. Though naturally that photo and ending aspect is a bit of a mindfuck. I dig that there is some hope and positive stuff as well, though it hits a lot of notes across the range of emotion.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Heavy Metal posted:

postgame stuff, is there any new stuff to see and do here, story wise?

just collect more interviews and stuff to wrap up some story threads

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

https://www.hlj.com/1-2-scale-hd-museum-masterline-black-label-death-stranding-sam-porter-bridges-statue-prs94064

God drat.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Huh, now that I think about it, I do have an ending question. Does the game give any explanation as to why Amalie’s beach is on the moon? The only reference I can think of to it is the scene where Cliff reads the book.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It does tie nicely with the upside-down rainbows.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Legs Benedict posted:

just collect more interviews and stuff to wrap up some story threads

Right on, interesting stuff so far.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just pretend it's the NPC porters, if there's a best path between two points, someone, even NPCs will use it.

You even get likes from npc porters every once in a while for ladders and other structures.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, interesting stuff so far.

If you get bored of grinding and just want to read the interviews, I think they're all here: https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/Interviews (spoilers obviously, don't go out of your way to click and read these if you want to discover everything fresh).

I don't know if anyone's collected all the mails yet, though. There's a section for that on this wiki, but I'm positive there are some missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Annoying rear end mechanic is the private room crafting, I just want to make another backpack cover but I don’t have enough donated materials at this location so I have to loving sit through another two loading screens so I can donate chiral crystals and come back here and craft a backpack cover. Why in gods name can’t I do this from the terminal?