Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Is there a known fix for the neon flashing artifacts yet? I know people were having issues with it on release, but its started happening to me since the stuttering fix patches. It's hard to describe, but roughly: any particle effects with lighting attached like hoof strikes, ricochets, explosions, rain striking roofs etc, the lighting effects render in neon blue and red like emergency lights. I know I've seen people complain about similar issues, but nobody seems to have a proper fix. Any ideas? I'm using a GTX-970 on mostly Balanced settings and DX12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Try lowering or raising anything it do with particles and try Vulcan instead

Orv
May 4, 2011

webmeister posted:

Is there a known fix for the neon flashing artifacts yet? I know people were having issues with it on release, but its started happening to me since the stuttering fix patches. It's hard to describe, but roughly: any particle effects with lighting attached like hoof strikes, ricochets, explosions, rain striking roofs etc, the lighting effects render in neon blue and red like emergency lights. I know I've seen people complain about similar issues, but nobody seems to have a proper fix. Any ideas? I'm using a GTX-970 on mostly Balanced settings and DX12.

For me these just stopped at some point between Nvidia's two driver updates since then and the game patches. Switching to Vulkan and changing settings didn't really do anything. The single temp solution I found while it was still happening was changing resolution, accepting and then changing it back would solve it for a while.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The latest patch made starting the game a dice roll now - it starts about 1/5 of the time (and needs a hard restart when it doesn't), then crashes occasionally while running.

Don't think I've seen a PC release this bad in at least 10 years.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I kinda feel like you either like this game or you don't. They are definitely not hiding the fun content in the roles, I feel like the idea of getting money to get to the 'fun part' is just going to lead to constant disappointment. I can't figure out how to convey this idea without sounding like a huge dork, so I apologize for that

People are like this about gtav too and i dont get it- making the grind miserable to unlock more things to grind with

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Transmogrifier posted:

Bounties don't pay a lot, and it depends on when you turn them in since, for some stupid rear end reason in this game, you get more XP and cash the less time there is on a clock. Grab the varmint and bolt action if you have not already as they are going to be your go-to hunting ones.

About this: You hit the max payout at the halfway timer mark. Bounty started with 12 minutes? Turn it in at 6 minutes, no need to wait until 30 seconds left.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Try lowering or raising anything it do with particles and try Vulcan instead

Weirdly enough switching to Vulkan drops my available GFX memory from 3.3gb to 2.8gb, no idea what’s up with that.

Have tried a bunch of fixes this morning and nothing seems to have fixed it so I guess I’ll just deal for now. Hopefully no big explosive firefights at night!

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I get the neon artifacts in DX12 on my 970 as well, and switching to Vulkan fixed it entirely. It does the same thing to my available memory that it does to yours, but I've found you can just reproduce these graphics settings and fiddle with a few things here and there to get it under the limit. Game runs drat smoothly for me now, with no neon craziness.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Whelp my game keeps crashing at the exact same point in the mission Our Best Selves - just as we're riding into Saint Denis and Dutch says the word "insist". I've tried multiple times now and it happens every time, the game hitches and then crashes to desktop. Pretty loving pissed that I've got so far into the story and I'm pretty much unable to progress any more.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I used to have a problem similar to this. I switched to Vulkan which ran like dog poo poo, got past the freezey bit and then switched back. This was a couple of updates ago, though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I've had much less issues with Vulkan overall, on a GTX1080. DX feels really sluggish when turning the camera for me.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Frankston posted:

Whelp my game keeps crashing at the exact same point in the mission Our Best Selves - just as we're riding into Saint Denis and Dutch says the word "insist". I've tried multiple times now and it happens every time, the game hitches and then crashes to desktop. Pretty loving pissed that I've got so far into the story and I'm pretty much unable to progress any more.

Have you tried verifying your files? Could be that it's hitting a point where it's missing the next speech wav.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Capn Beeb posted:

About this: You hit the max payout at the halfway timer mark. Bounty started with 12 minutes? Turn it in at 6 minutes, no need to wait until 30 seconds left.

Are we sure about this? I had it told that it's based on time elapsed, and that the timer itself tells you nothing about how much you'll get, and my own experience seems to confirm this. I've consistently gotten 250-300xp per bounty, regardless of time left on the timer, if I just spend 10 minutes hunting or shopping or whatever before heading out towards the target (since in most cases, there's no timer until you reach the target are.)

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
lol, what the gently caress is chapter five

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So I just majorly spoiled the single player story for myself: Arthur was having a fair few heart to hearts with members of the camp as to him "killing lots of innocent people". This wasn't what was happening in my game, as I was keeping the killing to gang members etc almost exclusively and I wondered whether I was experiencing a bug where I was hearing these speeches incorrectly. I googled something like 'Arthur talking about killing' and was presented with lots of articles about Arthur dying later in the story and the lead character switching.

No idea if my initial assumption of my hearing these speeches shouldn't be happening is correct.

I'm now wondering if certain side quests etc will be locked out if I get to the point when Arthur dies. Does the new character just take over all that stuff?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

So I just majorly spoiled the single player story for myself: Arthur was having a fair few heart to hearts with members of the camp as to him "killing lots of innocent people". This wasn't what was happening in my game, as I was keeping the killing to gang members etc almost exclusively and I wondered whether I was experiencing a bug where I was hearing these speeches incorrectly. I googled something like 'Arthur talking about killing' and was presented with lots of articles about Arthur dying later in the story and the lead character switching.

No idea if my initial assumption of my hearing these speeches shouldn't be happening is correct.

I'm now wondering if certain side quests etc will be locked out if I get to the point when Arthur dies. Does the new character just take over all that stuff?

yes. outside of one sidequest chain in chapter 4 (the one with the nun and poo poo) everything can be picked up by the new character. he gets arthur’s journal and it’s acknowledged by him and others that he’s not arthur and is just trying to tie up loose ends. fyi also that ch 4 sidequest line isn’t accessible after chapter 4 so knock it out as soon as possible

edit re your question about the bug: no those conversations kind of just always happen. they change a little in specificity if you’ve been doing certain stuff, like if you’ve just been shooting animals willy nilly he’ll mention that, but broadly we’re just supposed to assume that Arthur is a bad dude who’s done a lot of bad stuff and it’s starting to get to him, whether the player has necessarily been shooting randos or not. he is a gang enforcer after all. that convo does come off kind of weird though if the player has been playing him like a saint though, yeah.

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 23, 2019

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
worth remembering that dutch and the gang have been killing and cheating people for quite a while before they botch the job in blackwater, and much of the "redemption" arc of arthur's narrative is the slow realization that dutch's philosophy is just a flimsy romantic excuse to cheat and kill people for survival as communities begin to settle the west. it's safe to assume that he, dutch, and hosea have many sins under their belts, it's just that the player picks up as arthur works towards some measure of atonement.

if you played RDR1 it's the same lesson: the promise of the peaceful life dutch keeps pontificating about is actually within their reach if they could just conquer their basic outlaw nature, and time and time again they realize it too late. jack is the first to escape the cycle by becoming a writer later in life.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Managed to cheat my favorite horse into single player using Lenny's simple trainer:

But the game doesn't see it as being ownable, so I can't stable it or customize anything and when I reload my save I get a regular horse. Lee give me your loving horse :argh:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What's a good horse for online? Should I just look for one in the wild or pony (heh) up the cash?

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
you can't tame wild horses online. fwiw i like the collector's Criollo, the lvl 20 coats have endgame speed stats and you can grind to 20 relatively quickly with the online maps

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I ponied up eight bucks for some gold bars to get a bounty hunting license, is there anything cool, or necessary I should get with my remaining ten bars?

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Pierson posted:

I ponied up eight bucks for some gold bars to get a bounty hunting license, is there anything cool, or necessary I should get with my remaining ten bars?

Save up for a different license cause that one doesn't really reward well at all

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lonter posted:

Save up for a different license cause that one doesn't really reward well at all

The weekly legendary ones are interesting at least. I assume you need to be a bounty hunter to play them, anyway

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Just the posse leader. You can do bounties without the license if you get into a group running them.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'd recommend having fun and taking time, not worrying about making a ton of cash fast. It's the journey to get things, to do things (even if they don't pay out $$$) and the moment to moment gameplay that's the best part

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Along those line, collecting is super chill and you find some ambient stories along the ways, a lot of gang hideouts herbs and treasure too. Its cool as hell. I use cinematic mode a fair bit too.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I wish Bounty Hunting didn't have time limits because it ruins my chances to be a cool dude slowing walking up on my target when instead I have to book it like a fuckin' loser because I have 5mins to hog-tie some bandit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

I get the neon artifacts in DX12 on my 970 as well, and switching to Vulkan fixed it entirely. It does the same thing to my available memory that it does to yours, but I've found you can just reproduce these graphics settings and fiddle with a few things here and there to get it under the limit. Game runs drat smoothly for me now, with no neon craziness.

Thanks for this, it seems to have fixed the problem entirely and it even looks better than the default settings I had before. It also somehow fixed the problem I had where trees would occasionally flicker between "no wind sway" and "maximum wind sway" which was seriously :psyduck:

Although I did manage to lose an hour of progress yesterday while loving around in single player. I spent a while taming and bonding with the White Arabian, then hunted out perfect badger and perfect elk pelts. Heading back to Pearson to craft my satchels, a stranger challenged me to a horse race which I naturally accepted. After I whooped their arse, the guy whipped out a gun and shot his horse, managing to shoot and kill my brand new White Arabian at the same time :gonk:. Yeah, that's a reload.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I took a shot at a deep red player in town from near max range with a long range scope. I forgot that bullet proof hat was a thing so it didn't kill him. I ducked behind a rock, he turned around and shot at a different red player in town. It started a four way firefight. I didn't get any bounties but I got away clean at least.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

fuckpot posted:

I used to have a problem similar to this. I switched to Vulkan which ran like dog poo poo, got past the freezey bit and then switched back. This was a couple of updates ago, though.

Hey this worked for me, thanks for the tip.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Squirrel Burger posted:

you can't tame wild horses online. fwiw i like the collector's Criollo, the lvl 20 coats have endgame speed stats and you can grind to 20 relatively quickly with the online maps

Thanks for the advice. They're kinda ugly, though. :sigh:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Pierson posted:

I wish Bounty Hunting didn't have time limits because it ruins my chances to be a cool dude slowing walking up on my target when instead I have to book it like a fuckin' loser because I have 5mins to hog-tie some bandit.

The real annoyance is that you don't get the full reward from bounties unless you turn them in about the last 30 seconds. If you're all ready to turn them in but you have 6 minutes left on the timer you will get about half the reward. Bounty hunting is nice though since you will get paid in cash and gold.

The best horse is the Trader Role Kladruber. They are huge and have a funny face.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Truly what the gently caress is the point of introducing a timer and then punishing you for finishing missions as fast as you can? jesus loving christ lol. Im not just learning about this im like almost finished with bounty hunter rank ups but its been out for months and those timers are still on and haven’t even been tuned.
Imagine if at mission start it told you take as little damage as possible and then when you beat it with full health it starts subtracting from your reward with each hit point you still have.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Not to mention adding timers to anything that isnt a pvp competition in this game is absolutely mindblowing in the first place since every bit of design that went into this game was put in with the slower pace in mind and in some cases directly intended to slow the players down

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Speeding up the run animation by a few frames doesnt negate that

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Jumping back in to story, is there any reliable way to save your loadout when you dismount? Even setting it in gun shops like in Online just dismounts you sans weapons every time, and it's really getting on my nerves.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Fishstick posted:

Jumping back in to story, is there any reliable way to save your loadout when you dismount? Even setting it in gun shops like in Online just dismounts you sans weapons every time, and it's really getting on my nerves.

This absolutely sucks, but I haven't found any ways to get around it. The number of times I've been accosted and had things go extra poorly because the weapon I pulled out wasn't at all what I thought it would be is, uh, not insignificant.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Fishstick posted:

Not really, no. It resets when you sleep or load a save, and usually when you do a mission. One time I took way too long to get an iguana skin because I forgot the proper weapons on the horse and I didn't know horses could swim with you riding them, which led to a saga of roping a nearby boat user and having him nearly beat the poo poo out of me because he was Paul Bunyan reborn. It was a giant pain that led to me always picking weapons carefully before I leave the horse.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

This absolutely sucks, but I haven't found any ways to get around it. The number of times I've been accosted and had things go extra poorly because the weapon I pulled out wasn't at all what I thought it would be is, uh, not insignificant.

On the other hand, when a random stranger asks you to shoot off his shackles it’s extra funny when you forget that your equipped weapon is a shotgun with explosive slugs 🔥

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly have had no trouble with my weapon load outs. I know this may seem dumb to ask but when you go to the Gunsmith, are you actually setting your load out in the Customize options from the NPC or are you just changing your weapons in the weapon wheel? If it's the latter uh, that's why it's not working.