Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Token vote to finally get that Manaphy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Golux posted:

Token vote to finally get that Manaphy

Hell yeah, let's make this a three way tie.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Let's do the Ranger Net

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Time to do the Capture Challenges.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Stop putting off the capture challenges.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Manaphy.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Looks like Capture Challenge wins by a short margin.

I am really not looking forward to this... :negative:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Ranger Base

...I only said, "Oh!" There's no reason or anything. I just said it. Oh, and, uh... I really don't like being cold. And, uh, um... Sorry, it's nothing... ...I wish you wouldn't expect me to say anything important or funny... I'm not Murph or anything...
Looking good. ... ...... .........! I'm done talking. Sorry.
Hello, Circe! It's bitterly cold in Wintown, so warm yourself here a while. Keeping fit and healthy is an important part of a Ranger's job. After all, a Ranger can't be counted on if he or she is sick when there's a job to do.
I met with Spenser and the other Leaders just recently. Although we hadn't seen each other in a long while, I had to laugh because so little had changed. Spenser and Joel kept arguing and bickering over every little thing. And Cameron was happily giving away hopeless junk as gifts. Those three still have childlike qualities about them.

Too bad the game will never show us Spenser and Joel interacting together :v:

Circe, we're all greatly indebted to you. We should have been responsible for getting rid of the Go-Rock Squad. After all, their base was located right here in Wintown. It's our fault that we didn't get the intelligence needed to locate their base. We allowed them to take root... If you didn't come along, this base would probably be a part of the Go-Rock Squad's base by now.

Things like how you wrote seven letters, and how you came to meet your Plusle. I heard about other things, too.

Alright, let's look at what the thread had voted to do next...

...A Capture Challenge? gently caress :(

Music: Summerland

Time to delay the inevitable with some NPC chat!

It's your hard work that lets me loll around like this on the beach.

At least I used to be. It's because of this place that I stopped being an explorer. The balmy, delicious air... The stunning scenery... The gentle lapping of the waves... Oh, and this carefree music!

The music was mentioned before with The Watcher kid. Is the music diegetic? And do they broadcast it all the time? Sounds like it'll get old really quick.

How are you keeping? For a Ringtown Ranger, we sure see you often in these parts. Well, think of Summerland as your second or third or whatever home! You're always welcome here!

The one that drove the Go-Rock Squad into disbanding? I didn't know what! Why didn't you say anything before? I thought we were friends!

Sorry... :sweatdrop:

Cameron would go find junk, and my big brother would make weird things with it. Is this what a grown-up calls a vicious circle?
Well? How was your Aquamole dip? Wasn't it a great cruise with your Pokemon? I know, I know, it only had fuel for a one-way trip, but wasn't that fun in its own way?

This guy and Cameron are made for each other.

He says there are Kingdra at the Marine Challenge, but most people have never seen them. The few witnesses so far have always seen the Pokemon after they captured two Horsea... Uh-oh! I forgot that MC Fisher told me not to blab about this little secret!

It's nap time with my Phanpy in Summerland. Lala. ...I tried singing with the melody.

Each of them a fantastic being said to have the power to turn the earth and sky upside down. Perhaps they can be captured, or whatever it is you call it... But it would be a great mistake to think that mere mortals can control them.

:actually: It's very easy if you have Pokeballs! Chasing them and getting them into those Pokeballs are the hard parts.

The aquamole will from now on act as a one-way transport to Panula Cave. It's not that useful.

Is it really true that all sorts of incidents affected sleepy, peaceful Summerland?

You didn't notice all those earthquakes?

We decided that our family of three will settle here in Summerland. We're going to start a tour-guide business. I'm not sure if we can go of it, but we're going to work hard at it, the three of us. I hope you'll keep watching over us as a Ranger.
My dream is about to come true! Our family--the three of us--is going to live amongst nature right here! I think life will be tougher than now, but when my husband puts his mind to it, he gets things done. I'm sure that we can make it! Please keep watching over us, Ranger!
Wouldn't it be cool if the Aquamole could go anywhere on the bottom of the sea? That way, you might meet some rare Pokemon that live at the bottom.

I know right?! :mad:

So, I'll let you in on a little secret about the Capture Challenge. There are secret Pokemon that appear if you satisfy certain conditions. Isn't that exciting news?

No.

Welcome! I'm MC Fisher! May I interest you in our Capture Challenge? Ride a Lapras and capture away! If you have friend Pokemon with you, there's no using Poke Assists!

I guess there's no avoiding it...

We have a Capture Challenger! Now, may I explain how the rules work? Is that agreeable to you?

Nah. I can explain it.

Are you ready? Before you go, there's the usual announcement. The current record holder is... Cameron with 3500 points! Can this record ever be surpassed? OK, challenger, board the Lapras! Cap! Ture! Go!

Video: Marine Challenge
New Music: Capture Challenge

Basically, we have three minutes to catch as many Pokemon as possible. Different Pokemon are worth different points.

Annoyance 1 is that most Pokemon are hidden underwater, which means we won't know what they are until we get into an encounter with them.

Can you guess what Pokemon is in the above picture?

If you guess Remoraid, congratulations! Remoraid doesn't attack, but it only goes out of the water for a short time. Don't forget that if you remove the Styler when it's underwater, you'll have to start all over again.

Required Loops: 2

No EXP is given here, so adding extra loops is completely pointless.

Now what about this one?

If you guess our coveted fish, you're right! It only requires one loop now for some reason (as opposed to three).

Magikarp will flop around on the surface for a while, so it's pathetically easy to capture. It also gives the least amount of points, so it might not worth catching them (with one exception).

Can you guess what these Pokemon are? Magikarp, Magikarp and Remoraid respectively.

There's more than just Remoraid and Magikarp, of course. Like Magikarp, Horsea sticks around on the surface for a while.

Required Loops: 3

More shadows! Can you guess which has what Pokemon? One of them has a Pokemon we haven't seen before.

Did you guess a Magikarp on the right and a Goldeen on the left? I think I made my point by now.

Required Loops: 1

Goldeen, like Remoraid, has absolutely no attack and dive right after surfacing.

The easiest way to differentiate the shadows' identities is by their size. This one is obviously not a Remoraid, Magikarp, Horsea or Goldeen.

It's not a foolproof method, but it works well enough for most purposes.

Same actions as Remoraid or Goldeen.

Oh look, I beat Cameron's High Score on my first try :toot:

Music: Summerland

The total number captured... 14 Pokemon! And the total score is... 39000 points! Congratulations! It's hard to believe, but Cameron's long-standing record is no more! What would you like to do now?

Of course we're not done yet!

Yes, the Capture Challenger agrees! Just a quick reminder of the rules! Capture as many Pokemon as possible within three minutes. It's as simple as that! Best of luck, challenger!

Back into the fray we go.

Well, in spite of my humble appearance, I am a marine biologist engaged in the study of the Safra Sea. I've been encamped here for some time now observing Wailmer in the wild. By the way, I hope you're OK for time. You are, aren't you? Wouldn't you like to hear a most intriguing tale that was related to me by a sailor? According to him, some kinds of sea Pokemon communicate with each other. For example, Goldeen may communicate to Seaking how they were soothed as a result of being captured by a Ranger. Learning that, Seaking will get an overwhelming urge to experience such a capture and appear before Rangers. After several such Seaking are captured, their chatter about the sublime captures could attract a Wailm... Whoops, I've prattled on for much too long already. Please excuse me! Well, I'm sure there will be other opportunities to chat, so don't be shy about speaking to me. Now, how are you set for time? Off you go!

The lighthouse is located right in the middle of the field and we can ask this angler biologist again for more tips.

Talking to him will stop the time, but it won't stop other Pokemon from acting. Like this Staryu which acts exactly the same as usual.

Listen, I'm no angler. In fact, despite my humble appearance, I am a marine biologist engaged in the study of the Safra Sea. Didn't I mention this to you already before? By the way, I hope you're OK for time. You are, aren't you? Wouldn't you like to hear a most intriguing tale that was related to me by a sailor? This is what he told me. It's a tale from a long voyage. The sailors on the voyage were weary and irritable from being on the open sea for days on end. In that tense atmosphere, fighting among the sailors was common. Then one day, a young sailor found something bobbing amidst the waves. It was yellow, and it looked silly in every way and form. The sailors all gathered on the ship's deck to look at this yellow, silly thing. Well, according to the sailor, looking at the silly yellow thing put all the sailors in a silly mood, but in a good way. Soon, there was laughter all around. The sailors broke out in rousing sing-alongs with arms draped. After that day, there was no more fighting on that ship, said the sailor. Well, isn't that a good tale? Or is it merely a silly story? Truth be told, I've been feeling rather irritable lately. So, I've encamped here in hopes of seeing that silly yellow thing. The thing is supposed to have a large bill, and it's said to quack. I suspect it's a Psyd... Whoops, I've prattled on for much too long already. Please excuse me! Don't be shy about speaking to me, though. Now, how are you set for time? Off you go!
There appear to be Mantine in this sea, as well. ...? That's all I have to say? Is that a problem?

Beating Cameron's score will cause Pelipper to appear near the lighthouse. It's our Annoyance 2.

It has the usual puddle attack, but because we're on the water it's just a lobbing projectile. It's also pretty quick, which is not that bad if we have Plusle.

Since we're not allowed to use Plusle, this can happen. It sucks.

Also, Pelipper can just decide to fly out of reach on a whim. It's great if there's other Pokemon nearby so you can catch both of them, but don't count on it.

If the other Pokemon is Starmie or Staryu, though, then don't bother trying. It's borderline impossible. Just wait for Pelipper to fly lower or for other Pokemon to go near it.

We're given a grace period if we're still at an encounter when the timer runs out, but that won't help if Pelipper flees anyway :argh:

It was at this point that I gave up and decided to make liberal use of savestates and slowdown. So yeah, I'm going to cheat for the rest of this update :colbert:

Required Loops: 12

Our third run is going to be dedicated to the denizen of the darker areas. The smaller ones will most likely be Remoraid.

The bigger one is most likely Octillery. We can know if it's them for sure because they will dive out of reach if we approach them from the front. They will resurface (relatively) later and we can track them with the minimap (it's actually useful this time :psyduck:)

Octillery itself is pretty much the same as Remoraid/Goldeen/Seaking.

Some Horsea/Seadra might be mixed into the darker regions as well. They have no reactions upon spotting us, so that might be a way to differentiate them.

Seadra just has the same lobbing attack as Pelipper. A lot easier to catch, though.

Required Loops: 5

Anyway, the one we're looking for is the one with the biggest shadow. It'll appear only after we catch two Remoraid. You might have to catch a few more Pokemon to actually get it to spawn if the RNG hates you, though.

Serebii said that we have to catch two Octillery as well, but I got it to appear without catching any. Either way, it'll appear in the darker areas around the field.

Mantine will stick on the surface for a while, but it also homes in on our line to tackle them.

Required Loops: 8

Fourth run! We need to catch two Starmie for this one to appear, which in turn require two Staryu to appear. Did I mention that we have to fulfill the requirements in one round?

Both of them has the same attack, but Starmie took a lot longer to catch. I hate to repeat myself, but Plusle would've been a godsend in here.

Required Loops: 9

Psyduck will appear at the middle left section, just happily lazing about without a care in the world.

Unfortunately for us, this is Annoyance 3.

Yes, this is RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING OF THE ENCOUNTER :psyduck:

Good thing I can slow down the game to 1/8 of the original speed! :buddy:

Required Loops: 32

It's definitely doable on an actual DS, but it's a very duck dick move.

Since we still have time, let's take a look at the dark region in the middle right. There's no Remoraid or Octillery in sight, but...

Luvdisc! Luvdisc everywhere! They still act just like Remoraid/Goldeen/Seaking/Octillery and they're only available after a minute has passed.

Fifth run! These Carvanha isn't what we're looking for, but they're here on the foggy bottom right corner.

What we're looking for is Goldeen and Seaking, both of which will try to flee if they spot us.

Seaking will only appear after catching two Goldeen and Wailmer will only appear after catching two Seaking. All Pokemon with large shadows have special requirements, so it's easy to find the one you want.

Required Loops: 16

One more Pokemon to go. On to the sixth run!

Our final Pokemon here is Sharpedo, which appears only after the RNG wills it. Otherwise, you'll just see endless Carvanha.

Same attack as Carvanha except it will bite only once at a time (as opposed to Carvanha's twice/thrice).

Required Loops: 11

That's everything! It wasn't actually that bad when savestates and slowmotion are involved, honestly.

Since we have plenty of time, let's capture a bunch of Magikarp! They also don't have any reaction on spotting us, so they're indistinguishable from Horsea.

Because we completed the game, catching five Magikarp will cause Gyarados to appear on the top left. This is the exception I mentioned earlier about how catching Magikarp is pointless.

For completion's sake, let's encounter the final Pokemon here. Like an NPC said earlier, it's available after catching two Horsea.

The easiest strategy to get the high score is to get to Kingdra asap. It'll automatically give 3100 points, plus whatever else you catch with the rest of your time.

As a recap, here's a list of the Pokemon available here. Bolded Pokemon are required for full Browser completion.

Marine Challenge:
  • Magikarp (100)
  • Gyarados (2300) (5 Magikarps + game completed)
  • Horsea (400)
  • Seadra (800)
  • Kingdra (2300) (2 Horsea)
  • Goldeen (300)
  • Seaking (700) (2 Goldeen)
  • Wailmer (2200) (2 Seaking)
  • Remoraid (200)
  • Octillery (500)
  • Mantine (1500) (2 Remoraid)
  • Staryu (200)
  • Starmie (600) (2 Staryu)
  • Psyduck (1600) (2 Starmie)
  • Carvanha (200)
  • Sharpedo (400)
  • Luvdisc (700) (After 1 minute)
  • Pelipper (2301) (Cameron's score beaten)

Apparently I got 5700 points somewhere within those 6 runs.

Anyway, it's time for more votes! What should we do next?
  • Getting new Pokemon and exploring new areas
  • Breaking more records in Capture Challenges
  • Looking at what this "Ranger Net" is
  • Finally getting that Manaphy which is the only reason you bought this game

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 11, 2019

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Let's break more records to get all capture challenge stuff out of the way early.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

This time you can explore new areas.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Brag about your Capture prowess and cut a promo promising to beat all of the capture challenge records over the Ranger Net.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BlazeEmblem posted:

This time you can explore new areas.

This. Let's space out the Capture Challenges.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Seems like it's time for us to explore areas and get some new Pokemon.

I'm very glad that you guys voted all the Special Missions before this one.

E: Wow I forgot how bad Registeel is.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 16, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Fall City

The votes this time go towards exploring new areas and gaining new Pokemon. We'll gain a lot of new Pokemon alright, but most of the areas we explore will be old ones.

For example, this is the area where we found one of the Skitty along with a definitely-not-suspicious scientist berating a Machoke (which becomes our boss for the mission).

The new Pokemon here is invisible, but you can see it on the minimap. It's like, what, third time the minimap is useful? Try to guess what this Pokemon is.

The Pokemon is invisible even during capture. You might need some luck to get the first loop, but you can use the number for the rest.

It will reveal itself shortly before it flees, so using an assist at this time is a good idea.

Required Loops: 4
Possible EXP: 40/58/76/100

As you might have guessed, a lot of new Pokemon have appeared now that we're in the postgame. Some of them requires a certain Field Move and we need to release all our Pokemon to do the Special Missions, so I'm glad you guys chose to do those first.

Music: Dusk Factory

The first area we'll explore is Dusk Factory. Our second new Pokemon can be found in the (thankfully) defunct conveyor belt area. It's also invisible on the field, coincidentally.

This one will reveal itself as soon as it attacks, so it's easier to capture.

Possible EXP: 42/48/54/62

Some Haunter have now populated the area where we fought Garret. Like Ghastly and Gengar, they will also try to steal our Pokemon.

Unlike them, Haunter actually attack in addition to teleporting around. It might be just me, but it feels like it teleports more than those two.

Required Loops: 6
Possible EXP: 56/62/68/76

Other than those, plenty of Pokemon have been moved around the region. It'll take too long to mention them one by one, so I'll just provide a list.

Dusk Factory

Available Pokemon:
  • Voltorb
  • Meowth
  • Makuhita
  • Growlithe
  • Magnemite
  • Hypno (moved to outside the electrical door on 2nd floor)
  • Wingull
  • Pinsir
  • Gastly
  • Mr. Mime
  • Magneton
  • Machoke (moved to outside the factory)
No Longer Available:
  • Houndoom
  • Pichu
  • Scyther
  • Ludicolo
Newly Available:
  • Kecleon
  • Porygon
  • Haunter

Music: Lyra Forest

Up next is Lyra Forest. Since we now has a Pokemon with Cut, we can see what's behind these bushes.

Behind bush number one is Combusken, which will aggro toward Circe before we can even move :mad:. We can't find them outside anymore, so this is the only place to get them.

What about bush number 2?

It's our final starter! I've been wondering where you were this entire game.

Possible EXP: 12/15/18/22

We can now also tackle those trees from the beginning of the game, but none of them have anything.

Music: Deep Lyra Forest

Which means it's now time to go deep into the forest once again. This is in Weepinbell's area.

Typloshion moves quickly and can explode once or twice depending on the RNG. Scyther wasn't here before, which is why we didn't go to this area earlier.

Possible EXP: 122/133/144/155/166/177

More new Pokemon! This one's right were we meet Gordor for the first time.

Like Weepinbell, Victreebel will also spit us to the beginning if it catches us. Except this time it's actually useful since it will spit us over the ledge.

The attack is nothing interesting, though. Just a regular ol' puddle.

Required Loops: 7
Possible EXP: 62/72/82/96

Shedinja can now be found in the area where we fought Murkrow. I'm surprised that it actually has an attack.

Required Loops: 6
Possible EXP: 36/46/56/70

On another note, we can tackle the same tree as before to get a Murkrow.

gently caress you too :argh:

Back in the beginning of the maze, there's a rock we can break. We can actually do this back at our first visit, but I forgot :sweatdrop:

And with this, we have now found all the starters' middle stages.

Possible EXP: 36/40/44/50

Lyra Forest

Available Pokemon:
  • Chikorita
  • Zigzagoon
  • Taillow
  • Mudkip
  • Bellsprout
  • Torchic
  • Pichu
  • Combusken (moved to inside a bush)
  • Cyndaquil
  • Ivysaur
  • Pikachu
  • Phanphy
  • Ninjask
  • Beedrill
  • Wartortle
  • Weepinbell
  • Swellow
  • Spinarak
  • Quilava
  • Hoppip
  • Beautifly
  • Venusaur
  • Nincada
Newly Available:
  • Linoone
  • Bulbasaur
  • Scyther
  • Scizor
  • Shedinja
  • Murkrow

Music: Krokka Tunnel

Our final area for today will be Krokka Tunnel. Which apparently lies right above Panula Cave.

North from where we meet The Quads now has an ivy growing out of it. We can now access the Torkoal and the stairs.

Did you notice the stairs back then?

Torkoal attacks with power somewhere between Numel and Camerupt. It moves with the speed of...well...a turtle. Even though none of Squirtle's family act that way :shrug:

Possible EXP: 77/87/97/111

Music: Panula Cave

It brings us to Panula Cave. Which means that we didn't actually need to bother with the Aquamole and that escort quest :negative:

Going up brings us to a blocked path that leads to the end of the cave. There's no Fire Pokemon in Panula Cave, so we couldn't melt this before.

And now the ice is gone. We'll leave Panula Cave for another time, though.

Going the other direction, we have a ledge toward the beginning of the cave and an Absol.

It attacks with a boomerang. Both the originals and the clones can attack and they all move very quickly, so catching it is a huge pain in the rear end.

Required Loops: 5
Possible EXP: 106/114/122/130/138/146

This one is in the area with all those Zubat.

Paras attacks with Spore. It used to be its signature move, after all. It's nice how a lot of these Pokemon's attack corresponds with their movesets :allears:

Possible EXP: 40/44/48/52/56/60

It's not nice how low the EXP yield is though :nallears:

To get the rest of the new Pokemon for now, we have to explore a completely new part of the tunnel. This post was more visible than the stairs, but you're being bombarded with Zubat here.

Going to the right brings us back to where we fought Tiffany. Let's go up the fork past the fence first.

Speaking of Tiffany, do you guys remember WHY the Go-Rock Squad was here?

1234567890num posted:

Somewhere with this cavern sleeps a legendary Pokemon... Have you heard such a rumor? Wouldn't you agree that is the most exhilarating and exciting of tales? Of course, mere Rangers would never be able to gain mastery over any such legendary Pokemon.

1234567890num posted:

Oh, I have so had it! There's no legendary Pokemon to be found! My big brother all left without me, too...

It's not surprising that they didn't found it considering how ridiculously hidden it is.

You need 2 Pokemon with Cross, 1 with Lv 2 Cut, and 4 with Lv 2 Crush. So 7 Pokemon in total. That leaves no room for any other Pokemon.

As for the identity of the Legendary Pokemon, it's...

Video: Registeel

Registeel only does one thing. But boy does that one thing makes everything harder.

It drops iron balls, which then roll in a random direction.

Of course, if the balls hit our line while they're falling, it still damages us. So it's best to keep our line on the bottom.

Having our line be as short as possible will minimize the chances of us getting hit. Sometimes luck will still fail us, though, like in this case :negative:

Basically the tactic is to keep our line at the bottom as short as possible, only looping Registeel when it's near the bottom. While hoping that none of the balls roll toward where our line begins. Do this 20 times and you're golden.

...Yeah, it took around 8 minutes to capture it. It's ridiculous.

Required Loops: 20
Possible EXP: 420/438/456/474/492/510

The worst part about this whole thing is that the rocks and fence don't respawn, so I could've gone out and grabbed a Fire or Fighting assist :sigh:

Or at least I think they don't. As far as I know from experimenting after the recording, the objects all respawn after completing the game but won't do it again for the rest of the game. Not including the mysteriously-replaced signs, of course.

We have one final Pokemon to cap things off for today.

It's the Pokemon that basically caused this whole mess by separating us from Hastings.

Possible EXP: 40/46/52/58/64/70

Like Hastings said, Dugtrio is very shy and won't attack, opting to just try to dig around (just like Diglett). It's kinda anticlimactic.

Krokka Tunnel

Available Pokemon:
  • Bellsprout
  • Paras
  • Magnemite
  • Poliwag
  • Diglett
  • Geodude
  • Magneton
  • Machop
  • Kirlia
  • Graveler
  • Zubat
  • Poliwhirl
  • Hariyama
Newly Available:
  • Torkoal
  • Parasect
  • Machamp
  • Registeel
  • Dugtrio

As usual, it's now time for more voting! The choices are still the same as before:
  • More Pokemon! More!
  • Looking at what this "Ranger Net" is

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 21, 2019

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Ranger net.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'll go with Ranger Net too.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Gah, gently caress all the Regis! But my physical save has me at the end of the game with all 3 of them in the same party, so that's fun.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

1234567890num posted:

It attacks with a boomerang. Both the originals and the clones can attack and they all move very quickly, so catching it is a huge pain in the rear end.

The worst part about this whole thing is that the rocks and fence don't respawn, so I could've gone out and grabbed a Fire or Fighting assist :sigh:

Or at least I think they don't. As far as I know from experimenting after the recording, the objects all respawn after completing the game but won't do it again for the rest of the game. Not including the mysteriously-replaced signs, of course.

I believe Absol's boomerang is actually the single most damaging attack in the game, which is uh something to point out.

Also from what I remember the objects *do* respawn, as I distinctly remember needing to clear that ice block a fair few times, though I don't remember if it respawns on beating Rayquaza, any of the trio, or if it only happens when you rematch the three beasts.

Also the Capture Challenge is fun, and the marine one was one of the only good bits of the entire nonsense surrounding Summerland :colbert:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Post extremely vague clues on where to find legendary pokemon on the Ranger Net

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Polderjoch posted:

Also the Capture Challenge is fun, and the marine one was one of the only good bits of the entire nonsense surrounding Summerland :colbert:

It would be fun if you can actually use assists. It took me like 4 full sessions to get that Pelipper on an actual DS. Not to mention the pain when you manage to get Mantine/Wailmer/Psyduck to appear but then fail to catch them before time runs out so you have to catch the prerequisites again :argh:

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Post extremely vague clues on where to find legendary pokemon on the Ranger Net

You need 7 Pokemon to get to Registeel, so I don't think most Rangers can get it. Not to mention that some of those Pokemon aren't available in Krokka Tunnel.

Unless you're saying that we should just post clues that are true but nobody would be able to follow them anyway, in which case, that's evil :unsmigghh:

Crosspeice posted:

Gah, gently caress all the Regis! But my physical save has me at the end of the game with all 3 of them in the same party, so that's fun.

Having all the Regis (and Snorlax) is also how I'd usually end my save file, so you're not alone there :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

1234567890num posted:

Unless you're saying that we should just post clues that are true but nobody would be able to follow them anyway, in which case, that's evil :unsmigghh:

:yeah:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

1234567890num posted:

It would be fun if you can actually use assists. It took me like 4 full sessions to get that Pelipper on an actual DS. Not to mention the pain when you manage to get Mantine/Wailmer/Psyduck to appear but then fail to catch them before time runs out so you have to catch the prerequisites again :argh:

Having all the Regis (and Snorlax) is also how I'd usually end my save file, so you're not alone there :v:

Honestly not having assists is kind of the entire draw personally, it's a neat little challenge area, the only real issue I have is that you're not given the option to keep a mon you caught in there or something.

I always ended my save file with those four, and I think Dugtrio, Absol, and that one Magikarp

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Polderjoch posted:

Honestly not having assists is kind of the entire draw personally, it's a neat little challenge area, the only real issue I have is that you're not given the option to keep a mon you caught in there or something.

I always ended my save file with those four, and I think Dugtrio, Absol, and that one Magikarp

Not being able to use assist is more bearable with the sequel's HP bar. But for this one, it can be very awful.

Anyway, we're going to go see what Ranger Net is. And probably create Fiore's version of Missingno rumor. No we definitely won't.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Main Theme

This is the title screen that greets us every time we start the game.

But if you wait for long enough without doing anything, the start-up sequence will restart and we'll get these new pictures.

Anyway, this is the main menu. I appreciate that they decided to throw all ranks on us like that instead of just displaying the highest. Makes me feel important :smug:

Music: Ranger Net

The Ranger Net is basically just a collection of extra missions. They're unlocked without needing any connection to the internet, so I don't know why they're called Ranger Net :shrug:

That means we can't do cool things like start Fiore's version of Glitch City rumor, though :eng99:

All the missions will revolve around a legendary Pokemon, in this case it's Deoxys. They tend to be rather short.

Several days ago, a Deoxys appeared in the Lyra Forest. But there's something wrong with it. For some unknown reason, it is extremely aggressive and combative. There's no guarantee that it won't harm other Pokemon--or even people. I'm afraid this mission is dangerous, but I want you to take it. I want you to capture the hostile Deoxys and return it to its normal, docile state without harming it.

Music: Mission Received!

The game is trying to gloss over how Deoxys is in Fiore in the first place.

By the way... I'm not sure if I should be even telling you this but... I was actually working on this mission on my own several days ago. When it comes to Deoxys, my interest and knowledge are second to none. I was certain that I would capture it easily. But... I didn't go well. Circe... And Lunick. This time, I want the two of you to try.
Our Leader failed to capture the Deoxys... That's hard to imagine... I think it would be even harder for us, though.
I want you to give it a try regardless of the outcome. The Deoxys will use its ability to transform if you try to capture it. You would be better off thinking none of the usual capturing rules will apply. I arrived at one conclusion as a result of my failure to capture it. It's impossible to connect with Deoxys on an emotional level. It's a very disapopinting conclusion, but it's the only one that is logical... *leaves*

You know, I'm pretty special. When I'm not on an official mission, I assign myself my own missions! Today's mission is... "Cheer up the Leader!" You two don't have to worry about anything on this end. Let me worry about our Leader. Take care, guys!
*When talked to* I think that's the first time I've ever seen our Leader so down on himself.

That's nice of you, Murph :unsmith:

Music: Mission Start!

Music: Lyra Forest

Well that was quick.

It transformed from its Normal Form to its Attack Form! That's a sign that it's become more aggresive!

*Deoxys leaves*

It went into the Krokka Tunnel. It will be a disaster if it gets loose in Fall City and runs amok! We have to catch up to it!

*When talked to* We have to communicate to the Deoxys that we aren't its enemies.

And then we're brought into the Krokka Tunnel. We're stuck there for this whole mission.

By the way, we can't save at all during these extra missions. The save points will instead say
"Adjustments under way...... Please try again later."

It appears to be in its Attack Form. Even our Leader failed to capture it. You'd better be totally focused!

New Music: Capture Arena

No video because of course this mission isn't going to be that quick.

It teleports if there's no line. Otherwise, it homes in on our line and tackles. You'll have to avoid at least one attack.

The Pokemon available right now are Magneton, Machop and Bellsprout. Not really the best lineup. Good thing they decided to make Fighting immune to all type matchups. With Machop, catching Deoxys should be quick.

But yeah, like I said earlier, this mission isn't going to end just like that.

What's going on? I thought you connected emotionally. That capture should have worked!

To: Circe and Lunick

Prof. Hastings advised me on Deoxys. Surprisingly, Deoxys apparently can be captured only in its Normal Form. However, even the professor didn't know what should be done when it is in any other form. My guess is that the Deoxys will assume its Normal Form if it decides it needs to neither attack nor defend. But for that to happen, there has to be an emotional link between the Ranger and the Deoxys... I don't understand it. I want you two to solve this mystery.

A Pokemon that doesn't connect on an emotional level... I didn't know one existed. I think that's a conclusion that our Leader wouldn't want to believe.

With Deoxys not blocking the way anymore, we have access to Diglett, Poliwag, Paras and Magnemite. Note that since Deoxys is levitating, Ground and Grass assists are completely useless.

Try to get it to understand that a capture isn't meant to be offensive. Try to get your feelings across.

Music: Capture Arena

Defense Deoxys is definitely the easiest form to capture, even with its loads of required loops.

Its only attack is the slow-moving orb.

True to its name, Defense Deoxys can defend. Like with Silcoon, looping it during this duration will have absolutely no effect.

Not that looping it out of that duration has any effect either...

Aww, no... It transformed from its Defense Form to its Speed Form. But I'm getting the feeling that it's not as aggressive as it was before. Do you get that feeling too, Circe?

Anyway, with more of the tunnel open to us, we can now get Geodude, Graveler and Zubat. Obviously, Zubat won't be useful against Deoxys.

Obviously the game won't let us go to Panula Cave. Not that any of the Pokemon there would be useful except maybe Medicham.

An interesting to note is that Zubat has been moved. Its original area has no more Pokemon (except Parasect which we can't get). No Poliwhirl, Machamp or Hariyama for us :(

Listen, Circe... Why don't you try talking to the Deoxys when you're attempting the capture? Try telling it, "Rangers aren't your enemies," when you go to capture it.

Music: Capture Arena

Rangers aren't your enemies.

Speed Deoxys, true to its name, moves very quickly. Rangers aren't your enemies.

Its attack spreads very widely, so you might be able to get between the gaps easily. Rangers aren't your enemies.

Water assist is the most reliable this time. It only needs 3 loops, so the bubble should last long enough. It's horrible to capture otherwise. Rangers aren't your enemies.

Lunick's tactic doesn't work :argh:

You saw it, didn't you? It turned into its Normal Form! Circe, your feelings got through to the Deoxys! While it was fleeing, that Deoxys seemed to have an expression that said, "Catch me if you can." Or did I imagine that? I don't really know.

Fine, your strategy works.

Anyway, We can now get to Kirlia. As you might imagine, it's not useful. Yeah, most of the Pokemon here is useless against Deoxys. Better than nothing, I guess.

Before we go fight the boss, I recommend getting all three Machop and two Magneton. And filling the last two spots with Rock/Water assist (Graveler/Poliwag).

Video: Deoxys

But, Circe, don't rush it. Try to understand what Deoxys is thinking.

Music: Legendary Pokemon Battle

Deoxys will begin the fight by transforming into one of its other forms.

They all retain the same behaviors as before. "Capturing" Deoxys in one of those forms will return it into Normal.

However, normal Deoxys also has an attack. In fact, its attack is much worse than Attack Form's. The attack's identity will remain hidden for now.

Taking too long will cause Deoxys to change forms again, repeating the process.

Taking too long to catch one of those forms will cause Deoxys to change forms into one of the remaining two.

Changing forms will reset our loop count. This added time limit makes capturing Defense Deoxys much harder.

This is the true identity of Normal Deoxys' attack. Yeah, it's absolutely awful. All of the forms' attacks deal 5 damage, by the way.

The main issue is the anemic assist pool, honestly. If there's a Ghost Pokemon around this capture would've been over in a few seconds.

We'll just have to make do. Each Machop only lasts for 10 seconds, so make sure not to mess up. Especially since loving up means restarting this whole mission from the beginning.

Music: Capture Complete

Required Loops: 9(Normal)/13(Attack)/17(Defense)/3(Speed)
Possible EXP: 450/470/510/530/550/570

We did it! :dance:

You did it! That's a successful capture! You established an emotional link with the Deoxys, Circe! This should cheer up our Leader!
*To Deoxys* Deoxys... I'm so glad that it seemed to understand everything. It seemed to realize that capturing isn't an attack. Even better, it seems to understand now that Rangers aren't enemies--we're its friends. It looks as if the Deoxys is thanking us. Gee, Deoxys, we need to thank you! Thank you so much! We should release it, though. Take care, Deoxys!

Let's head back! We should go help Murph in his mission to cheer up our Leader.

...Those big grins... Did you maybe...?!
Great news, Leader! The feelings of a Ranger like Circe got through...even to the Deoxys! When we released it at the end, I got the feeling it was grateful to us.
Aww, why the big change in mood, Leader? When I tried to cheer you up with my best untold jokes and puns, you wouldn't crack a smile. But as soon as you hear THEIR report, you have a grin stretching from here to there!
Ahaha! Sorry, Murph! You know, I really did appreciate your efforts to cheer me up. But your puns... I don't know how I should say this... None of them were funny in the least! Ahaha, sorry, sorry! I really do appreciate what you do for us, Murph!
Uh-huh. Do I dare believe that?

Poor Murph :smith:

Thanks, everyone! Circe! Lunick! And Murph too! It's mission complete!

Music: Mission Clear!

But you know, Lunick and Circe... The conclusion I reached about the Deoxys was completely wrong. You two proved that conclusively. ,,,You don't know how happy that made me. I think I got so caught up in the idea of capturing Deoxys that I lost sight of everything but myself. That means my capture attempts would seem no different than attacks to the Deoxys... It's no wonder that the Deoxys turned hostile on me. The cause of this incident wasn't the Deoxys or the Go-Rock Squad or anything else. I'm to blame for the entire fiasco... Everyone... And Deoxys... I'm sorry! And thank you for putting everything right again!

*Pokemon cry*

Was that a Deoxys's cry?! It sounded like it flew over the Ranger Base!
Deoxys... It must have responded to our Leader's outpouring of emotions!

With the mission cleared, we now have a new Ranger Net Mission available.

This means that we have a new round of voting. What should we do next?
  • More Pokemon! More!
  • Taking an outing with Murph in Ranger Net

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 24, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Go for a casual stroll and try to spot More Pokemon along the way.

Maybe the Ranger Net was originally supposed to let you get time-limited missions from the net or somesuch, which is why it's named this way.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Let's hang out with Murph!

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Give us some Mega Murphin’ Power Ranger action, or something.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I wanna see a Manaphy.

Also, I believe you meant to put this picture in the update, but accidentally repeated the title.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Let's chill with Murph.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Hang out with Murph.
Let's just do all of ranger net.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

They were really trying hard to make that seem like something from the anime, weren't they. It's kind of a shame the actual gameplay doesn't allow for much variation, you really can't turn 'draw circles a lot' into 'show it your HEART!!!'

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Geemer posted:

I wanna see a Manaphy.

Also, I believe you meant to put this picture in the update, but accidentally repeated the title.

Nah, with the way that vote keeps getting listed it should absolutely be the last thing we vote for
go find some new dudes so they actually get a chance to shine in the range net stuff instead of their existence being a "welp, they're here" thing.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Seems like we're going to go into the Ranger Net again and hang out with our pal Murph.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Ranger Net

Let's go hang out with our pal Murph! :dance:

By the way, I forgot to mention this earlier, but Friend Pokemon don't carry over between the main file and Ranger Net. Browser entries and Styler EXP do, though.

There is a small shrine deep in the Lyra Forest. I have reports that Celebi appeared close by. At the same time, members of the Go-Rock Squad were sighted prowling around the same area. My instincts tell me that they are trying to capture Celebi for some nefarious reason or another. So, this is your new mission. Capture Celebi and put a stop to the Go-Rock Squad's plan.

Do you know what my last mission was? "Replace lightbulbs." I completed that mission perfectly with my Slowpoke's help, but... I wish we could do a cool mission for a change, huh, Slowpoke?

Slowpoke: Yaaahn.

:smith:

Sorry, Murph! Whenever I see that happy, round face of yours, it makes me want to pull jokes on you, no harm meant! But, all right. This is what we'll do. This mission will be jointly handled by Circe and Murph.

Finally! I finally get a mission that's actually worth calling a mission! Mission! Mission! Mississiooooon! Aroooh!

:unsmith:

Music: Mission Received!

Both of you, be vigilant always. Don't take anything for granted. Murph... This isn't about changing lightbulbs. I want you to be serious and focused.
*When talked to* Circe! Murph! Be careful out there!
*When talked to* Lalala, a mission! This is it, a mission!

Music: Mission Start!

Unfortunately, Slowpoke isn't coming with us :(

Look! It's Celebi! Circe, look! There's Celebi!

Music: Go-Rock Squad!

*They all move to the right, past Circe and Murph*

Those guys are Go-Rock Squad! Circe, Circe, what are we supposed to do? Are we supposed to chase them?
*When talked to* Celebi was terrified. We have to do something! Hurry!
*When talked to* Am I being useful for anything?

Well, it seems like our only chance considering the game won't let us go to the left.

We're railroaded by these obstacle into one path throughout this maze. Beats getting lost, I guess.

Of course, that also means there's mandatory grunt battles.

What do you want? Hey, you! Yeah, you! You're giving me the eye, but look at you! You can barely stand up you're shaking so much!

Don't bully someone when you can't even form a grammatically correct sentence :colbert:

Ch-ch-chatter! My knees are c-c-clicking together! I'm shaking all over! *flees*

The Pokemon needed to clear the obstacles are conveniently placed right behind them.

Oh, drat! Rangers? I know why you're here. You're angling to catch that Celebi and use it for something, aren't you? Celebi's out of your league! Give it another ten years, amateurs! This is more your speed!

If the theme for last mission is "bad assists", the theme for this one is "bad opponents".

Tch! Lost that... Rather than bothering with a big speech, I'm just going to bolt! *flees*

Another grunt, another obstacle that can be cleared.

Ooh, hello, cute little Rangers! Especially you, the nervous sweetie with the round, round face. Sweetie, let me put it to you straight. You look completely out of place. I'll make you regret coming out here!

None of these grunts' Pokemon took more than 4 loops each. And ALL of them are weak to Fire, which we do have access to this time.

I hate admitting this... But you're pretty darn cool. ...The both of you.

I don't know why they didn't just use Scyther here :shrug:

That's a good Pokemon...keep still now. I'll capture you. Just hold still.

*Celebi bumps into the grunt before leaving*

Atchah! I busted my Styler!
*Notices the Rangers* And what the...? When did you Rangers show up?! Wait a second! Close your eyes and count to ten! In the meantime, I'm boogying on out of here! *flees*

Even the Go-Rock Squad has wimpy members... That guy was just like me... Oh, but who cares? We have to do something about the poor Celebi! I think it's physically and emotionally beaten up from being chased around by the Go-Rock Squad. Circe, use your capturing expertise and get it to settle down.
*When talked to* You have to help Celebi! Celebi has to be saved!

Yep. We're almost done already. All we have to do is chase down Celebi. Getting rid of those pesky obstacles might help.

The problem is that Celebi will run away if it spots us.

Video: Celebi

But it doesn't for some reason in this case. Probably something to do with the AI.

Music: Wild Pokemon Capture

Anyway, here's Celebi. It doesn't even get the legendary Pokemon music.

It'll create the vine mines at these five spots. It moves decently fast, so it's time to use Swellow/Ninjask (Flying) or Cyndaquil/Quilava (Fire) or maybe even Spinarak/Pinsir (Bug)...

...or maybe not.

Anyway, what usually happens is that Celebi flees...

And we spend a lot of time chasing it around. Good thing we don't have to go through this :toot:

[spoiler]Of course there's a worse version of this on the next Ranger Net mission :suicide:

Music: Capture Complete

Possible EXP: 200/214/228/242/256/270

Circe, you've just proved again that you're an outstanding Ranger. I really learned a lot doing this mission with you. ...Was I, like, holding you back?

The look in Celebi's eyes says it's OK now.
*To Celebi* Listen, Celebi... Take care on your way home. Beware of the Go-Rock Squad, OK?

All right! Let's head back to the Ranger Base. Big smiles!

What's the word? Let's hear your report!
Uhh... Yes! The mission went exactly as you anticipated, Leader. The Go-Rock Squad was trying to forcibly capture Celebi. They appeared to want Celebi to perpetrate crimes. But not to worry! There's nothing to fear! One capture by Circe--our Ranger Base's pride and joy--solved the entire caper! I was really happy that Celebi was saved, thanks to Circe.
Well done. Excellent report. Circe, Murph, good work, both of you. Circe, you're looking more and more like a veteran Ranger. And Murph... Your compassion for Pokemon could be the most important quality that every Ranger needs. I'm sure that Circe has learned a lot by teaming up with you on this mission, Murph. Another thing, Murph's responsible for always keeping the atmosphere in the Ranger Base light.

That's even worse than Shiftree :cripes:

...All joking aside, Circe, Murph! You've cleared the mission! Excellent work!

Music: Mission Clear!

Hey, hey, Circe. What our Leader just said... How much of it was joking, and how much was real? When he was praising me, was all of it a big joke? It doesn't matter, though. I feel really good either way. I'm going to work hard again on my odd-job missions...like changing lightbulbs!

Another mission done means another voting round:
  • More Pokemon! More!
  • Playing Tag in the Ranger Net (it's not as fun as it sounds)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
More Pokemon! We must achieve Ultimate Compassion!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

More Pokemon

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Capture challenge because LP pain

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Omg Murph drops his styler when he poses :3:

More Pokemon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm really mad because I'm one Pokemon away from a full dex in SwSh thanks to how loving stupid Aromatisse is but you don't have to deal with it so go complete that damned not-Pokedex already and get More Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

More Pokemon