Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jusupov posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8a1BAolFIk

Dev showing off some action you can expect in the game

This may actually end up being the killer app, this looks really loving tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TVs Ian posted:

I'm hoping somebody puts up the deal a couple of days early. I've got family coming on Thanksgiving, and I'd love to have a Rift S setup working by then.

Maybe buy it best buy before hand, then go there on black friday to 'return' it for the discount and try to get them to just give you the $50 discount, and if they won't just return it and rebuy it? dunno

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Tom Guycot posted:

Maybe buy it best buy before hand, then go there on black friday to 'return' it for the discount and try to get them to just give you the $50 discount, and if they won't just return it and rebuy it? dunno

I'd consider it, but their price guarantee specifically excludes Black Friday sales. Well, specifically "Sunday before Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving." And I don't want to deal with trying to fight that with some retail employee that's already having an awful day.

I'll just wait and set it up Friday evening if it comes to it.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I would like a Disney+ app for my quest, thanks in advance

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Quest link might be getting a whole lot better in a few months.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1198350474526760961?s=20

It currently uses 150 Mbps, but 3.1 can do 5 Gbps. It was due to the limitations of the video decoder, but I guess Carmack found a possible solution.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Tip posted:

Quest link might be getting a whole lot better in a few months.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1198350474526760961?s=20

It currently uses 150 Mbps, but 3.1 can do 5 Gbps. It was due to the limitations of the video decoder, but I guess Carmack found a possible solution.

Carmack had talked about possibly bypassing the video encoder and directly injecting scanlines into the headset. He said it would even have a lower motion to photon latency than the Rift S if he did that. The only problem was that they would either need Qualcomm to cooperate or find some way to reverse engineer access to the hardware bits they need.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Am I missing something when it comes to playing a game with the link? Everything is up to date and I have a USB 3.1 to USB-C cable. I have Pistol Whip downloaded. When I launch it on my PC is it just supposed to show up in my headset? Quest is on 11.0 with no updates available. Currently it runs and I am just staring at the standard home menu and nothing is loading or running.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jack Trades posted:

How does Asgar's Wrath's combat compare to Until You Fall?

Until You Fall is a very stylized combat. You have to block when they tell you and in the correct pose. It's kind of like a sword rhythm game, but without music.

Asgard's Wrath is, so far, more like a standard melee combat game. Kinda. It is a little game like rather than something like Blade and Sorcery. Later enemies have shields that make it so you can't really kill them. You have to parry + counterattack to break the shield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWTqFldqRkU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

pootiebigwang posted:

Am I missing something when it comes to playing a game with the link? Everything is up to date and I have a USB 3.1 to USB-C cable. I have Pistol Whip downloaded. When I launch it on my PC is it just supposed to show up in my headset? Quest is on 11.0 with no updates available. Currently it runs and I am just staring at the standard home menu and nothing is loading or running.

Make sure your Oculus software on your PC is on version 1.43. If it is on the beta channel, it won't work.

You should be able to go into Devices > Add Headset. The Quest is one of the options. Follow the directions there. When you put on your Quest, you should see an option to enable Link.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Nalin posted:

Make sure your Oculus software on your PC is on version 1.43. If it is on the beta channel, it won't work.

You should be able to go into Devices > Add Headset. The Quest is one of the options. Follow the directions there. When you put on your Quest, you should see an option to enable Link.

Ah I was on the beta channel and that's where the hiccup was, thanks!

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 24, 2019

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Mic doesn't seem to work with the Link. Kind of a bummer for Pokerstars.

Also after being on a Quest for a while I forgot how much having a cord suuucks.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Doom VFR is finally working properly on Oculus without SteamVR beta!

It's a pretty cool game so far, although, the lack of any kind of stick based turning is ridiculous. My cord got very very twisted. Thankfully there is a mod to add stick turning.

I'm conflicted about recommending the game because it was just totally hosed and unusable for so long, and Bethesda has done a terrible job with every VR port. But it IS really cool being attacked by a massive cacodemon in VR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is the resolution difference between an OG Rift and an HP VR1000 WMR headset? Is it noticeable? I have a line on a cheap one with controllers to possibly make a portable beat saber rig but I’m wondering if the resolution bump is enough that maybe I’ll want to use it in sims as well

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

What is the likelihood of substantial games being tied exclusively to Oculus headsets in the near future?

Is spending for the Index hardware locking you out of anything worthwhile?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Anyone get the PC version of Tetris effect? How is it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chin Strap posted:

I did. It’s :catdrugs: the game.

It’s really good

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

Its amazing. Its 100% worth it. Its actually my go to non stream VR game atm.

Creator code QTpop when you buy it :P

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheeee posted:

What is the likelihood of substantial games being tied exclusively to Oculus headsets in the near future?

Is spending for the Index hardware locking you out of anything worthwhile?

100% chance of there being more exclusives, Oculus has been throwing a Facebook warchest around for a while now to coax developers into making games for them. Half-Life: Alyx boosting Index hardware sales is probably gonna put some blood in the water too. It's a total non-issue though, because you can just install ReVive and play them with other VR headsets.

And no; the Index hardware doesn't have anything unique to it. It's the best HMD on the market, but it's still functionally identical to every other existing HMD (just a much higher quality of components, sound quality, resolution, etc). The only unique aspect to the controllers is the grip bar and finger detection, and those don't really do much in games beyond "wee, lookit my fingers wiggle!". Or flipping people off in multiplayer.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only unique aspect to the controllers is the grip bar and finger detection, and those don't really do much in games beyond "wee, lookit my fingers wiggle!". Or flipping people off in multiplayer.

I mean between this and Alyx that finger jam might be a bit more apparent.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Saw some youtube video where the dude said he had to take off the whole blinder assembly around the lenses so I tried that and holy poo poo is it more comfortable, I can bring the lenses much closer too.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I gave a VR-newbie friend of mine the Blade & Sorcery initiation, and his first move was to do the loving index finger "c'mere" motion and now I know I really need to get a loving Index setup down the road. loving hell.

X-posting from the chat thread to share my friend experience:

quote:

Had a friend of mine over tonight, he had never none virtual reality, we spent like 5 hours loving around in all sorts of different games from Pistol Whip (music) to Skyrim VR to IL-2 (WW2 flightsim) to Vox Machinae (Mechwarrior but VR) to Blade & Sorcery (swordfighting) and oh my god it is so much loving fun walking someone through all these different VR games. They spent like an hour alone flying a P-51 Mustang through World War 2 dogfighting, it was awesome just showing them how to do different things and getting them used to my HOTAS (sim joystick+throttle) setup. Virtual reality gaming is loving incredible, even more-so when you get to share it to people who've never had a chance to try it out.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

AndrewP posted:

Mic doesn't seem to work with the Link. Kind of a bummer for Pokerstars.

It will eventually work. People who tried the Oculus V12 beta said it has all the mechanics for the microphone, but it requires an update on the Quest side to work. That's why you have to use the non-beta 1.43 version.

EDIT: And Oculus' own documentation about how the Link stuff works also includes mention of microphone data.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Alright new issue with the link. How do i reset my place in the world? There have been more than a few instances where I load a game and I am in the ground (Blade and Sorcery) and I can't seem to figure out how to make my settings right and make it where I am standing and not crouching. My Quest settings seem fine, it's only when I am playing a Rift/Steam VR game that I have this issue.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

pootiebigwang posted:

Alright new issue with the link. How do i reset my place in the world? There have been more than a few instances where I load a game and I am in the ground (Blade and Sorcery) and I can't seem to figure out how to make my settings right and make it where I am standing and not crouching. My Quest settings seem fine, it's only when I am playing a Rift/Steam VR game that I have this issue.

When that happens for me, I have to go into the advanced settings, click "floor fix" and do that and it'll be fixed. Dunno if that's a seperate thing I had to install.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

pootiebigwang posted:

Is it happening to you in native rift stuff, or only steamVR stuff? Because its an issue i've had a few times using a rift since 2016, but only with steamVR stuff (theres a floor fix thing in advanced settings mentioned above). If its happening with native oculus stuff, then it might be some link issue.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Where is the Black Friday sales on the Oculus store? It seems there was one past year around this date.

I don't want to buy stuff if just tomorrow a sale is going to start. :/

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

SirViver posted:

Out of curiosity, can any Index controller owners try lightly tapping them against each other (plastic to plastic contact - it needs to be a hard surface impact) and report whether that causes the tracking to freak out for a second or so? Just wanna make sure this is normal behavior.

I recently got a protube gunstock and noticed that when snapping on the front magnetic holder (e.g. after reloading) the tracking would sometimes spaz out. At first I thought I had a reflection problem (pro tip: get the more expensive carbon tubes instead of the chrome ones when using a lighthouse based system, unless you want to wrap them in iso tape like I did), but I could then reproduce the issue without the protube just by inducing "hard" shocks on the controllers. Soft surface impacts - like against your hand - don't show this issue, even on relatively hard smacks. My guess is that the tracking is actually a combination of lighthouse data and internal accelerometers, which throw off the tracking on high-G spikes caused by hard surface impacts.

This is abnormal. In order to get mine to act funny at all I have to bash it pretty hard. Snapping into a magtube doesn’t affect my tracking for more than a few milliseconds and only in an extremely minor way, the same as giving the controller a light slap.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone have experience with getting prescription lens inserts for a headset? I want to be able to play without wearing my glasses because they are a huge pain. I'm also worried about scratching up my headset due to the glasses. I plan on getting an Index soon. How big a risk is glasses scratching it?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone have experience with getting prescription lens inserts for a headset? I want to be able to play without wearing my glasses because they are a huge pain. I'm also worried about scratching up my headset due to the glasses. I plan on getting an Index soon. How big a risk is glasses scratching it?

https://www.vroptician.com

My wife has sets for both the Rift and Index, and loves them.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

cheesetriangles posted:

I wear my glasses in the index and have never hit the lenses with them

pretty much this size glasses

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Jusupov posted:

I wear my glasses in the index and have never hit the lenses with them

pretty much this size glasses

Okay that's about the same size as my glasses so I feel a bit better.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also if you’re really worried, the zenni glasses fit super close to your face and are only $20. I have the 3D printed lens adapter for my Rift but I found that just wearing the glasses without the adapter still gives plenty of room between the glasses and HMD lenses and is much easier to keep clean. I’d imagine it would be even better in the index, which has from everything I hear, more space for glasses than the Rift.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My friend had no problem wearing his glasses with the Rift S on, just for the record.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've watch multiple reviews on Youtube, where the person reviewing the Rift S, wore glasses and never even commented on it being an issue.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It may not have physical IPD but it has quite a bit of slack in the eye relief area.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
There are specs for glasses dimensions (this is for the Rift but I'm sure there's pages for the other headsets too)

https://support.oculus.com/191247164573652/

Doesn't say anything about depth but I don't know how you'd measure that?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dedian posted:

There are specs for glasses dimensions (this is for the Rift but I'm sure there's pages for the other headsets too)

https://support.oculus.com/191247164573652/

Doesn't say anything about depth but I don't know how you'd measure that?
Depth isn't a problem on most headsets because they have eye relief adjustment. Just the more you move it away from your face the lower your FOV is

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I was considering upgrading my CV1 to an S to get rid of the cameras and have a better dsisplay, but my IDP is only 60...I could go with a Quest+Link, would that in theory have better visual quality than a CV1? Are the Rift S and Quest controllers identical?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Italian Guy posted:

I was considering upgrading my CV1 to an S to get rid of the cameras and have a better dsisplay, but my IDP is only 60...I could go with a Quest+Link, would that in theory have better visual quality than a CV1? Are the Rift S and Quest controllers identical?

The Quest+Link has better visuals than a CV1, and has the same controllers as a Rift S.

...Look see I love my Rift S but I can tell people to get a Quest if it fits their needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Taintrunner posted:

The Quest+Link has better visuals than a CV1, and has the same controllers as a Rift S.

...Look see I love my Rift S but I can tell people to get a Quest if it fits their needs

Except the quest isn’t a desktop headset. But hey whatever right? Lol