Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Of course. It's bitcoin. Maybe TCC has a thread taking about crypto applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I must admit that I have used Bitcoin for international money transfers. It's pretty nice compared to the normal international bank wires, but that's precisely because nobody uses it - otherwise, the 7 Transactions Per Second thing would not allow me to gain a time advantage.

Even now, the volatility of Bitcoin is a significant risk when making transfers, so maybe I wouldn't say it "has solved" international transfers... ;)

Source your quotes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jre posted:

Source your quotes

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Magrov posted:

here you go

post the linear scale, that was the best one

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Sniep posted:

i htink its all piss
somebody already tried pisscoin

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The Management posted:

has bitcoin solved a real world problem yet?

yes, it helped ensure that sociopath drug kingpin and attempted murderer ross ulbricht is no longer a threat to innocent lives

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

The Management posted:

has bitcoin solved a real world problem yet?

It is what it was meant to become. Ok. YouTube was meant to be a dating site. Sometimes the creators are on to something without nailing it the first time. Bitcoin is a phenomenal store of value, that doesn't need to be used to purchase coffee any more than flecks of gold on a scale at the register need to be used to purchase coffee.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
bitcoin is amazing in the sense that you ask "what is bitcoin/what's its purpose" to butters and no one will give the same answer

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
how is something that's dropped over 3k in a week a phenomenal store of value

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Soricidus posted:

yes, it helped ensure innocent website creator and all around good boy ross ulbricht is put in a cage by men with guns

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

Boxturret posted:

Ya, maybe. If BTC dips I can buy more before the general public understands what absolute scarcity means. If it pumps I make money. Win-win. Don't care.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
is it a store of value? is it a currency? is it stock? all of them? none of them? who knows! just pour all your life savings into it

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Boxturret posted:

In the same way that a strainer is a phenomenal store of water

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

also something that you believe will undergo an asymptotic rise to multi billions of dollars isn't really a good store of value either

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
lol "scarcity" who the gently caress cares

there are many, many things that are scarcer than bitcoin. liike i dunno, someone probably preserved a turd pooped by john lennon. is it an even better store of value that bitcoin?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
i can literally download the bitcoin code and change the max value of 21 million to 21. did i just create a store of value a million times better than bitcoin?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Suspicious posted:

i can literally download the bitcoin code and change the max value of 21 million to 21. did i just create a store of value a million times better than bitcoin?

Yes

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

klafbang posted:

And BTC has the BWM thread, where butts also come up.

wonder why that is

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
Its like gold. Is gold a rogue currency too? That its digital, and can therefore compete with fiat currencies (unlike gold), is what has everyone scared of this stuff.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fuckin lomarf

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Vanity Fair has a nice piece on QuadrigaCX

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/11/the-strange-tale-of-quadriga-gerald-cotten

no new news, but collects it all in one place for a general audience

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

browsers castle posted:

Its like gold. Is gold a rogue currency too? That its digital, and can therefore compete with fiat currencies (unlike gold), is what has everyone scared of this stuff.

currency? but i thought it was a store of value!

browsers castle posted:

It is what it was meant to become. Ok. YouTube was meant to be a dating site. Sometimes the creators are on to something without nailing it the first time. Bitcoin is a phenomenal store of value, that doesn't need to be used to purchase coffee any more than flecks of gold on a scale at the register need to be used to purchase coffee.

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

Suspicious posted:

currency? but i thought it was a store of value!

Oh you mean Bitcoin? Ya that's Bitcoin.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

browsers castle posted:

absolute scarcity

Bitcoin
Bitcoin Cash
Bitcoin SV
Bitcoin Gold
Bitcoin Diamond
Bitcoin 2
Bitcoin 21
BitcoinHD
BitcoinDark
Bitcoin Green
Bitcoin Red
Bitcoin CZ
Bitcoin Classic Token
Bitcoin Scrypt
Bitcoin Interest
Bitcoin Rhodium
Bitcoin Atom
Bitcoin Confidential
Bitcoin Private
Bitcoin Incognito
Bitcoin Turbo Koin
Bitcoin Fast
Bitcoin X
BitcoinX
BitcoiNote
Bitcoinus
eBitcoin
Lightning Bitcoin
LiteBitcoin
Super Bitcoin
First Bitcoin
Wrapped Bitcoin
Tonal Bitcoin
Bitcoiin

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

post the linear scale, that was the best one

couldnt find the updated version...

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

Boxturret posted:

Bitcoin
Bitcoin Cash
Bitcoin SV
Bitcoin Gold
Bitcoin Diamond
Bitcoin 2
Bitcoin 21
BitcoinHD
BitcoinDark
Bitcoin Green
Bitcoin Red
Bitcoin CZ
Bitcoin Classic Token
Bitcoin Scrypt
Bitcoin Interest
Bitcoin Rhodium
Bitcoin Atom
Bitcoin Confidential
Bitcoin Private
Bitcoin Incognito
Bitcoin Turbo Koin
Bitcoin Fast
Bitcoin X
BitcoinX
BitcoiNote
Bitcoinus
eBitcoin
Lightning Bitcoin
LiteBitcoin
Super Bitcoin
First Bitcoin
Wrapped Bitcoin
Tonal Bitcoin
Bitcoiin

Nothing competes with Bitcoin. There's nobody behind Bitcoin; this is principal part of the value proposition. Anything that comes next will have people behind it. Bitcoin is of the internet, crypto startups are just people trying to print their own money.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

browsers castle posted:

Nothing competes with Bitcoin. There's nobody behind Bitcoin; this is principal part of the value proposition. Anything that comes next will have people behind it. Bitcoin is of the internet, crypto startups are just people trying to print their own money.

look at this heretic denying the existence of satoshi and his millions of teeth

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

....wait do you think bitcoin was spontaneously generated and is self maintaining :pwn:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
til goons are almost as bad as redditors at recognizing sarcasm and fakeposts

browsers castle is not a sincere bitcoiner

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

til goons are almost as bad as redditors at recognizing sarcasm and fakeposts

says you .."craig "satoshi" wright".!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Magrov posted:

couldnt find the updated version...
spasibo

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

...! posted:

I care. I have some. Just not so much that if the price does one thing and not the other, it matters for me. Too many people need the price to do one thing and not the other - those people will have to take a loss and leave the space before we can see a recovery.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i don't care about the price. all we need is for the people who care about the price then we can finally reach a trillion dollars a bitcoin

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

browsers castle posted:

Ya, maybe. If BTC dips I can buy more before the general public understands what absolute scarcity means. If it pumps I make money. Win-win. Don't care.
bitcoin's scarcity isnt absolute. if it pumps/dumps and when is up to price manipulators not the general public. if you are talking about buying a dip, you absolutely can lose.

browsers castle posted:

no. no; sure but see previous. ok. lol, correct.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

divabot posted:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/11/the-strange-tale-of-quadriga-gerald-cotten

thanks for the link, that made a narrative out of all the random quadriga news bits that have happened over time that I’d completely forgotten

the intersection with the krassenstein brothers was a surprise laugh too lol

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I respect this new thread for refreshing the lol well with coin believers

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Iron Prince posted:

I respect this new thread for refreshing the lol well with coin believers

Agreed.

I'm going to invest $1 into bit coin right now. If it does take off to the moon as said, that's 238,900 mi from earth, and I live in Denver, CO at mile high altitude, so I should expect a cool 240k ez bucks if this ever does actually take off.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

divabot posted:

you sure are posting a lot for someone who’s dead, “david” gerald cotten

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

you sure are posting a lot for someone who’s dead, “david” gerald cotten

This sounds like someone who would invest in MilkCoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

browsers castle posted:

gold is also a purely speculative asset whose value could plunge at any moment

why on earth would you use that as your model