Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yeah but there is good pulp and there is bad pulp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The Mandalorian is very bad. The writing is so bad it's like a youtube fan video.

:wrong:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The Mandalorian is very bad. The writing is so bad it's like a youtube fan video.

Actually it's awesome and gives me hope that there's still a decent future for Star Wars movies/shows.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's strange to criticize the writing when there's like a half dozen spoken lines per episode. In any case the music, especially the main theme, is great.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's strange to criticize the writing when there's like a half dozen spoken lines per episode. In any case the music, especially the main theme, is great.

Writing includes the plot developments and events that happen, not just the dialogue.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
My bad, I assume when people say writing they are referring to the dialogue.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I must admit I tuned out after the 1st 15 minutes. But in those 15 minutes the plot, pacing, and dialogue all felt like a parody of a spaghetti western. For instance the gang that attacks him for the slight of opening the bar door. That's taking the looking for a fight scummy desperado cliche to a laughable extreme. I'm no great fan of Star Wars but this felt like a weak entry even by the standard of family entertainment that Star Wars operates under.

I will say the costume and character design was all really good.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I agree that it's soaked in a cartoony Western motif, but it's a huge part of the attraction for me

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, it's a goofy and weird sci-fi western with a lot of charm imo. That's one of the main draws for me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I can understand them being upset at the Mando disrespecting a door. A door once stopped Darth Vader.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I must admit I tuned out after the 1st 15 minutes. But in those 15 minutes the plot, pacing, and dialogue all felt like a parody of a spaghetti western. For instance the gang that attacks him for the slight of opening the bar door. That's taking the looking for a fight scummy desperado cliche to a laughable extreme. I'm no great fan of Star Wars but this felt like a weak entry even by the standard of family entertainment that Star Wars operates under.

I will say the costume and character design was all really good.

That is what Star Wars should be. It's goofy and simple and fun and it looks cool.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Mandalorian is fun. The only bit I really didn't like so far was the introduction of all the other Mandalorians with different suits and gadgets. Getting the armour upgraded felt pretty video-gamey as well. Fett was cool because he was the last of his kind/a true lone wolf etc.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

The Mandalorian is fun. The only bit I really didn't like so far was the introduction of all the other Mandalorians with different suits and gadgets. Getting the armour upgraded felt pretty video-gamey as well. Fett was cool because he was the last of his kind/a true lone wolf etc.

Yeah that’s really the only part of the series I’ve disliked so far. The Mandalorian friends felt video game goofy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

The show is designed to move new merchandise and it's gonna be extremely effective at it. Baby Yoda is gonna be a toy bonanza and then the various Mandalorians and the different suits and weapons will be an action figure line all to themselves.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Disney better release a baby yoda plush before Christmas, my wife desperately wants one.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mandalorian met or exceeded my very low expectations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OTOH the Mandalorian friends are a perfect lead in to a new Star Wars Republic Commando

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BisterdDave posted:

Disney better release a baby yoda plush before Christmas, my wife desperately wants one.

Maybe they’re rushing one but Favreau specifically said they didn’t develop one since toys are the biggest source of Star Wars leaks going back to Empire.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I kinda don't like the idea of a baby Yoda because it takes the Force and again turns it into some biology based thing instead of being a spirituality thing but this has been a problem with Star Wars since 1999 so eh, it's cute as gently caress though and clearly the very well oiled machine at Disney is firing off all cylinders with this production.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe they’re rushing one but Favreau specifically said they didn’t develop one since toys are the biggest source of Star Wars leaks going back to Empire.

There have been a bunch of articles in the past few days about merchandise, it's coming and just in time for Christmas! Hurray! :capitalism:

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 24, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
From what I remember from my days of Star Wars fandom back in the pre-prequel days, wasn’t Boba Fett just some dude that happened to use Mandalorian armor? IE there’s nothing about the armor that makes it a bounty hunter suit other than one prominent guy wearing it. But now Mandalorians are a race of bounty hunters? Also is this show what the canceled Boba Fett movie turned into?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

david_a posted:

From what I remember from my days of Star Wars fandom back in the pre-prequel days, wasn’t Boba Fett just some dude that happened to use Mandalorian armor? IE there’s nothing about the armor that makes it a bounty hunter suit other than one prominent guy wearing it. But now Mandalorians are a race of bounty hunters? Also is this show what the canceled Boba Fett movie turned into?

Yeah afaik that was the case, but I can't even be bothered to keep up with Star Wars canon anymore. That poo poo has probably been retconned 10 times since the last time I checked. I think even in the prequels they messed with that and he got his armor from his dad or some poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fallom posted:

Yeah that’s really the only part of the series I’ve disliked so far. The Mandalorian friends felt video game goofy.
Yeah I agree with this. I liked everything else, but that part was pretty dumb.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a Denver native, I am very used to portrayals of Colorado in movies being completely off, but Cold Pursuit is the first time I've actually lolled. I'm pretty sure the people who made it were only aware of Colorado as a vague concept that included mountains.

The shot of "Denver" near the beginning is amazing. They took the skyline and photoshopped it into an icy wasteland with a single, one lane road leading to it. Then they cut to the house and it's just blatantly LA with some fake snow drizzled around.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

veni veni veni posted:

As a Denver native, I am very used to portrayals of Colorado in movies being completely off, but Cold Pursuit is the first time I've actually lolled. I'm pretty sure the people who made it were only aware of Colorado as a vague concept that included mountains.

The shot of "Denver" near the beginning is amazing. They took the skyline and photoshopped it into an icy wasteland with a single, one lane road leading to it. Then they cut to the house and it's just blatantly LA with some fake snow drizzled around.

Yeah, that sure as hell isn't I-25

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Looks way less treacherous than I-25

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Does Pedro Pascal take his helmet off and speak much in the Mandalorian?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neither. He has yet to take his helmet off and he has like 10 liner per episode.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

mateo360 posted:

Yeah, there's not bumper to bumper traffic on it for one.

I do think it's funny that everyone assumes Denver is some kind of snow fortress. It gets a decent amount of snow but not as much as Madison or Buffalo or probably even Omaha. Plus it melts off almost immediately, compared to Omaha where you get a foot of snow December 1st and then it just builds and builds over the next 3 months.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
They 100% filmed the Mandalorian with another actor or stuntman in the suit

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mateo360 posted:

You could make a movie about the commute from the springs down I-25. Crashes every day pretty much lmao.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

smdh no Darkwing Duck movie on Disney+

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Kingfish posted:

smdh no Darkwing Duck movie on Disney+

Wrong, I found it last night, check all series a-z

E I'm in the USA,I don't know what region difficulties there will be

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I found the show but not the movie.

E: there was an origin story movie right? Or am I imagining that? Maybe I’m thinking of the two part episode.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

The Kingfish posted:

I found the show but not the movie.

E: there was an origin story movie right? Or am I imagining that? Maybe I’m thinking of the two part episode.

I seem to recall Ducktales having a couple of multi episode arcs air in a single showing, edited as if it were a movie, but then aired them normally later on (and I'm not thinking about the theatrically released movie with the genie, I believe it was the arc where they introduced Gizmoduck, and the arc with the Golden Goose).

Darkwing Duck might have done the same thing at some point.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

david_a posted:

Mandalorian armor was worn by someone in the old movies, so now it's a race and/or religion where they all have armor like that, especially the helmet, which they never take off and don't have crippling spine injuries, and deliver Doom-style armor shards that they grind missions for to get upgrades, and have jetpacks.
They put a guy in carbonite in one of the movies, and now that's a regular thing they do, to the point where ship fixtures and bounty deliveries are centered around the method. There's a whole human being carbonite storage industry, probably.
Yodas are born wizards, or this is Yoda being reborn into a new puppet body or something.
Remember the thing you knew before, that was made up as a cool one-off thing in a movie, it's a whole thing now, we recognize you, the true fan, you're welcome.
There are Jawas that live in the same tank-scavenger-things on every planet.
I'm looking forward to seeing some cloud cities, used x-wing dealers, and extended members of the Hutt gangster family.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 25, 2019

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I think the Mandalorian is dumb but also enjoyable. I'm enjoying some Star Warsy stuff that isn't all "fate of the galaxy" poo poo.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

doctorfrog posted:

They put a guy in carbonite in one of the movies, and now that's a regular thing they do, to the point where ship fixtures and bounty deliveries are centered around the method. There's a whole human being carbonite storage industry, probably.
Yodas are born wizards, or this is Yoda being reborn into a new puppet body or something.
There are Jawas that live in the same tank-scavenger-things on every planet.
I'm looking forward to seeing some cloud cities, used x-wing dealers, and extended members of the Hutt gangster family.

Freezing Han was in Empire. This is post Return of the Jedi, It is entirely possible that after it was a confirmed working method, it was adapted as a containment method to keep bounties from doing the the guy was trying to do before being frozen.
We don't know what the deal is. Maybe it is just another force sensitive of the species. Maybe they are all force sensitive. It is definitely not Yoda reborn because again Post Return pre Awakens. We see Yoda is still a ghost by Last Jedi.
Pretty sure the Jawa thing was established well before Disney even bought the franchise even if they are decanonizing the entire extended universe before the buyout. Same with extended members of the Hutt family.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They actually fleshed out Mandalorians in canon in The Clone Wars much more than The Mandalorian is doing. They were a race of warriors long ago but became a pacifist neutral planet by the time of the Prequels. Then they were taken over, first by a group of Mandalorian jihadist, then by Maul, and then by the Republic, and finally by the Empire. By the end of ROTJ, they were finally liberated.

The armour is definitely presented as an important part of their culture but most during the time of the movies don't actually use them unless they're the aforementioned militants or people whose life/work requires armour and they just happen to have a really good set inherited from their ancestors. That's basically Boba Fett. The canon version of him is not even raised Mandalorian; he's a bounty hunter because Jango was and after Jango died he was raised by Jango's bounty hunter associates. Nothing about him defines what the actual Mandalorians in Star Wars lore are. I'm gonna trust The Mandalorian to actually acknowledge this because the showrunner of The Clone Wars is Dave Filoni and he directed both the first and fifth episodes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow cold pursuit is so loving bad lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I think some of you aren't going to be happy until we get a Star Wars show done by David Simon about the underground sex trade of Coruscant, trafficking twi'lek sex slaves, funded by death sticks money, from the gritty streets of Level 1313, all the way to the upper echelons of power in the Galactic Senate.

Star Wars is supposed to be fun. The Mandalorian is FUN.