Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had no idea that Local 58 has a new video.

Ariong posted:

Although it doesn't really fit with the rest of the series, my favorite LOCAL58 short is Real Sleep. A lot of the others are horror stories where there is some monster or malevolent force trying to lure people in, and that's good, but Real Sleep is something else entirely.

God drat I hate the faces thing about that, but it does suggest that part of whatevers going on is that peoples dreams are being invaded. Very Lovecraftian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

I had no idea that Local 58 has a new video.

God drat I hate the faces thing about that, but it does suggest that part of whatevers going on is that peoples dreams are being invaded. Very Lovecraftian.

I prefer to believe that there is no actual canon to LOCAL58, in my mind it's more of a recurring themes thing

E: This is partially because the timescale between the earliest and latest is like fifty years

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ariong posted:

Although it doesn't really fit with the rest of the series, my favorite LOCAL58 short is Real Sleep. A lot of the others are horror stories where there is some monster or malevolent force trying to lure people in, and that's good, but Real Sleep is something else entirely.

There is a theory that's been kicked around that Real Sleep is another tactic being used by the aliens/malevolent whatever since the other attempts haven't worked. Actual dreamless sleep messes with the mind such as heightening paranoia and decreasing empathy so it would fit if all the attempts to Look at the Moon aren't working then to try another way to make humans kill each other off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Somfin posted:

I prefer to believe that there is no actual canon to LOCAL58, in my mind it's more of a recurring themes thing

E: This is partially because the timescale between the earliest and latest is like fifty years

I'm more of a thought this has been going on for a long, long time in this world. That each shows a different stage of the invasion, first being direct invasion, second being trying to influance people though tv, then directly though technology in the third. SHow for Children and Skywatching are a educational and a cultists video respectively.

M_Sinistrari posted:

There is a theory that's been kicked around that Real Sleep is another tactic being used by the aliens/malevolent whatever since the other attempts haven't worked. Actual dreamless sleep messes with the mind such as heightening paranoia and decreasing empathy so it would fit if all the attempts to Look at the Moon aren't working then to try another way to make humans kill each other off.

I can totally buy this interpretation. I love Local58 because its not just some random guy filming everything around him and whoa spoooky guy in a hoody! it's all presented through tv shows and such. I think The Sun Vanished is similar in that its just presented as social media posts.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

twistedmentat posted:

I'm more of a thought this has been going on for a long, long time in this world. That each shows a different stage of the invasion, first being direct invasion, second being trying to influance people though tv, then directly though technology in the third. SHow for Children and Skywatching are a educational and a cultists video respectively.

I can totally buy this interpretation. I love Local58 because its not just some random guy filming everything around him and whoa spoooky guy in a hoody! it's all presented through tv shows and such. I think The Sun Vanished is similar in that its just presented as social media posts.

It's been a while since I last read The Sun Vanished. Looks like it's spread to multiple Twitter accounts at this point.

My current theory on Local58 is going from all the uploads at this time, it's definitely aliens/elder things, someone at the station is aware of what's going on and trying to counteract it, and the uploads aren't in chronological order. Using A Look Back as a reference with the style of the logos, Contingency's the earliest one. It's followed by Show for Children. Skywatching, Station ID, Weather Service, A Look Back, You are on the Fastest Available Route. Not 100% on where Real Sleep fits other than the logo style's like Station ID, but the colors are different. Going from the logo styles in comparison to real channel logos, we've yet to see anything from the 50s and the 70s. The mention of 'We send signals to ourselves through their domain. Did we really believe they wouldn't add their own' is our sending broadcast signals to satellites where the aliens are tampering with them before they're sent back to us. Going from the dates shown in Contingency and what was going on in the world around then, the aliens were counting on the population following through. When that didn't happen, they upped their attempts to where at least one of them's on Earth. The mention of 'there are other receivers' is likely they've been tampering on other local channels that we just haven't seen yet. All the moon references is either that's where the aliens are from or have set up base there and weaponizing it.

From what I've seen of this type of creepy broadcast stuff, Local58's the best. Others like Channel7/Tempest Universe try to come close but just don't pull it off in my opinion.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's been a while since I last read The Sun Vanished. Looks like it's spread to multiple Twitter accounts at this point.

My current theory on Local58 is going from all the uploads at this time, it's definitely aliens/elder things, someone at the station is aware of what's going on and trying to counteract it, and the uploads aren't in chronological order. Using A Look Back as a reference with the style of the logos, Contingency's the earliest one. It's followed by Show for Children. Skywatching, Station ID, Weather Service, A Look Back, You are on the Fastest Available Route. Not 100% on where Real Sleep fits other than the logo style's like Station ID, but the colors are different. Going from the logo styles in comparison to real channel logos, we've yet to see anything from the 50s and the 70s. The mention of 'We send signals to ourselves through their domain. Did we really believe they wouldn't add their own' is our sending broadcast signals to satellites where the aliens are tampering with them before they're sent back to us. Going from the dates shown in Contingency and what was going on in the world around then, the aliens were counting on the population following through. When that didn't happen, they upped their attempts to where at least one of them's on Earth. The mention of 'there are other receivers' is likely they've been tampering on other local channels that we just haven't seen yet. All the moon references is either that's where the aliens are from or have set up base there and weaponizing it.

From what I've seen of this type of creepy broadcast stuff, Local58's the best. Others like Channel7/Tempest Universe try to come close but just don't pull it off in my opinion.

The main trick that LOCAL58 pulls is that it gives you like, tiny slices of densely packed, cohesive, but still contextless stuff that works entirely on its own but also plays into the larger theme-scape of The Moon Is hosed Up. Also every video kind of feels like it's not meant to be spooky until the later stages of that specific video, at which point it ramps up like hell.

Like, Show for Children goes hard right off the bat, but it still leaves room to ramp up (particularly the clown face at the end) while Contingency takes quite a while to drop the shoe on what it's getting at and Real Sleep doesn't hit you with the hard stuff until the very last segment. All of them start off playing the game nicey nice to get you into the right zone so that when they go for the big swing it lands. None of it is obfuscated, you're just not shown the whole picture. And when they do go for the freakshow bit, they give you time to actually understand what you're looking at, or at least understand that you can't identify it.

Channel7, from the minute of it that I watched, goes into SCP technical jabber right off the bat, and then there's a CIA warning with an old-phone voice mask and all of the footage is corrupted and it basically... it ain't filling me with confidence that they're gonna let me get into the right headspace to be creeped out so much as they'll shock me with smash cut to bleh spoopy faces as the mic peaks and call that a win.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Somfin posted:

Basically everyone who posts ITT should watch the whole channel, it's like half an hour of content total but it's insanely well-produced

It really is, the first one I saw was Contingency & after that I was hooked

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Local 58 is pretty untouchable within its genre. I wish there were more of them, but quality beats quantity every time.

Similarly, I've got a soft spot for those fake Emergency Alert System videos, having grown up intermittently terrorized by tests of the Emergency Broadcast System breaking into my steady diet of television. There's a pretty good thread going about them that I wish had more activity; if you're interested in the uncanny and eerie quality of emergency broadcasts (real or fake), there's a lot of good reading and video in there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Local 58 is great because for the most part if you slipped one of their videos into a playlist of old TV, you'd never notice until the tilt.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this has probably been posted in here before but the local 58 stuff reminded me of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I forgot about that video, it's really good

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug
Is that all CG? Parts of it look low-poly.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Barry Bluejorts posted:

All physical. There's a making-of and everything.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Barry Bluejorts posted:

How the gently caress does low-poly differentiate from regular poly?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Somfin posted:

All physical. There's a making-of and everything.

yep. rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJ5rVfHkCA

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I love that he shows his ants in the first few seconds :allears:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7kywN0WIgA

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

How the gently caress does low-poly differentiate from regular poly?

My guess is good looking CGI and stuff like the Scorpion King from the second Mummy movie. Brought to you by the finest ps2 level graphics you can hope for.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My guess is good looking CGI and stuff like the Scorpion King from the second Mummy movie. Brought to you by the finest ps2 level graphics you can hope for.

I was making a joke about how all poly relationships are garbage. Low vs regular doesn't matter.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Inceltown posted:

I was making a joke about how all poly relationships are garbage. Low vs regular doesn't matter.

:chloe:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSER3yml1iM

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

LawfulWaffle posted:

Some hosed poo poo

This one always felt really... cruel to me. It's too edgy and too direct and too loving mean for me to feel spooked by it; it manages to be distressing without being creepy, like watching someone pull each individual leg off of a spider over the course of four minutes except they're in a one-man-band while they do it.

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug

drat so it looks too shiny because the walls are wet tissue paper... Wack.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

This one always felt really... cruel to me. It's too edgy and too direct and too loving mean for me to feel spooked by it; it manages to be distressing without being creepy, like watching someone pull each individual leg off of a spider over the course of four minutes except they're in a one-man-band while they do it.

Fwiw, that's the point

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pomp posted:

Fwiw, that's the point

Oh, I know, and it achieves it admirably.

I just hate it.

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

Never heard of local 58. Really enjoyed those videos!

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a horror short film that's probably 10-15 years old. It follows a man whose community is being replaced/taken over by monsters. It's played pretty low key. I remember a tense scene where he is in an ice cream shop (I think?) with a very creepy shopkeep. He returns home and his family is replaced by shaky faced things ala Jacob's Ladder. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Bonus short film from that era:
https://youtu.be/CT1Erm2C4iQ

Edit: I think they had the "too wide smile" thing going on too.

Monoclinic has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Nov 23, 2019

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Monoclinic posted:

Never heard of local 58. Really enjoyed those videos!

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a horror short film that's probably 10-15 years old. It follows a man whose community is being replaced/taken over by monsters. It's played pretty low key. I remember a tense scene where he is in an ice cream shop (I think?) with a very creepy shopkeep. He returns home and his family is replaced by shaky faced things ala Jacob's Ladder. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Bonus short film from that era:
https://youtu.be/CT1Erm2C4iQ

Edit: I think they had the "too wide smile" thing going on too.

Are you thinking of There Are Monsters?

https://youtu.be/I61l_f-328c

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

Glukeose posted:

Totally it, thank you!

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Glukeose posted:

Wow, they really... Really didn't know how to end that one...

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

11 years ago in Canada is 20 years ago in the real world.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This is a video, but it contains many creepy images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNVqRC4mcSI

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Facebook Aunt posted:

This is a video, but it contains many creepy images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNVqRC4mcSI

this was cool

"do-yah-heeeeeeeenaaaa~"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Jesus christ ill never get the point of eating ortolan if it’s so shameful

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SLOSifl posted:

Jesus christ ill never get the point of eating ortolan if it’s so shameful

I think the French just like to be melodramatic about it.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCibKB-87QU

K is for Knell from ABC of Death anthology

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/i/status/1214366089666277376

Corpse-riding baby soldiers. Also pigs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bloodborne 2 looking awesome.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVddN_nr1CI

I can't explain this one. Most of Jack Stauber's stuff is so directly creepy that it doesn't register, but this one gave me a proper chill. If it doesn't work for you the first time, watch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/normalcatpics/status/1232161276119224320?s=20