Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm reading Marlon James Black Leopard, Red Wolf. It's part 1 of a fantasy trilogy that draws heavily on African mythology. Gruesome and dark. Technically similar to Seven Killings in being very much written in dialect. Very cool book so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

thehoodie posted:

I'm reading Marlon James Black Leopard, Red Wolf. It's part 1 of a fantasy trilogy that draws heavily on African mythology. Gruesome and dark. Technically similar to Seven Killings in being very much written in dialect. Very cool book so far

I bet it's bad.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's th book with the hyena raping and pissing on him iirc

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

thehoodie posted:

sounds like poo poo

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

thehoodie posted:

this sounds like it belongs in one of the five hundred fantasy threads, my dude

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

EmmyOk posted:

The moby dick chapter about holding your boys' hands in the big sperm bucket is sublime

its very good

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Months later, I took the plunge to reading Ulysses somewhere other than on my occasional bus trips and finished it today. It's a pretty good book. And James Joyce not only hosed, but he hosed dirty, the hoo-er.

I was enjoying it (reading slowly,) but I think the point it really all came together for me was the chapter with Bloom and Dedalus in the whorehouse, Bloom on trial and hallucinations galore. This makes sense to me, because it unites the Bloom/Dedalus Odysseus/Telemachus Father/Son aspect and provides the capstone for all their wanderings, with the final part of the book being them "returning home." It was only seeing the destination of the journey (them coming together) that allowed me to put the rest in context.

I'm not sure I'll ever read another book like it, simply as it's a unique accomplishment.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tree Goat posted:

its very good

:hai:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone read Machado's new book yet?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Anyone read Kokoro by Soseki? The wikipedia intro makes it seem like it'll be right up my street.

quote:

It continues the theme of isolation developed in Sōseki's immediately preceding works, here in the context of interwoven strands of egotism and guilt, as opposed to shame. Other important themes in the novel include the changing times (particularly the modernization of Japan in the Meiji era), the changing roles and ideals of women, and intergenerational change in values, the role of family, the importance of the self versus the group, the cost of weakness, and identity.

It was recommended to me by someone who went down the Murakami route to finding him, but Murakami always seemed a little too frivolous and wistful for me.

Of course my big problem now is that the ebook available is a completely different book with the same name.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mrenda posted:

Anyone read Kokoro by Soseki? The wikipedia intro makes it seem like it'll be right up my street.

It was recommended to me by someone who went down the Murakami route to finding him, but Murakami always seemed a little too frivolous and wistful for me.

Of course my big problem now is that the ebook available is a completely different book with the same name.

I have read it and it's good, the themes listed there could apply to basically any work of Japanese literature though, I always try to read Japanese literature looking for something deeper than "changing times, east vs west, new vs old, changing values", because those terms tell you little about any individual work and they're very broad social terms that ignore individual human feelings. Kokoro is really more about desire mixed with death, same as Mishima's or Dazai's novels but with a different focus

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

V. Illych L. posted:

it is

it also is some of the gayest poo poo i've ever encountered

There's a bit later on about a boy everybody loves because of his masterful way with his organ, andpip there's a short story about searching for a good cock.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

the best chapter is the one where he explains how to make a cassock out of a whale's penis, "that unaccountable cone — longer than a Kentuckian is tall"

a while back i found a crowd-sourced audiobook where a different person reads each chapter and they got john waters to read that one lol

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Oh nooooooo...

quote:

Note: this is the fourth time he has mentioned this particular character peeing in 250 or so pages, and the sixth time total he has mentioned a female character peeing. Other non-pee moments abound, as well. How did this win a Pulitzer?
:sigh:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean at the very least I feel like that thread title is inaccurate since it doesnt seem like he tried to hide it all that hard

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The hand holding chapter is gay sure but it's also one of the most beautifully written chapters in the English language imo

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Serious question: would Melville's contemporaries have read that and thought "Hah, GAY!" or something else?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

the best chapter is the one where he explains how to make a cassock out of a whale's penis, "that unaccountable cone — longer than a Kentuckian is tall"

a while back i found a crowd-sourced audiobook where a different person reads each chapter and they got john waters to read that one lol

This is awesome. Richard Attenborough did chapter 105:
http://www.mobydickbigread.com/chapter-105-does-the-whales-magnitude-diminish/

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

while i'm sure that book is likely bad i dont really see the problem with writing about piss.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Serious question: would Melville's contemporaries have read that and thought "Hah, GAY!" or something else?

i mean its deliberately a little weird but its a particular sickness of the modern mind that we cant view any strong homosocial relationship as platonic anymore. in developing the idea of 'gay' we've expanded it to include any physical or emotional intimacy between men. like dudes used to just straight-up hold hands and walk around like that. look at old pictures of dude's sitting on each others laps, or read old letters that men used to send one another. there are often intense expressions of emotion, even love, that are nonetheless not sexual or romantic in character - but, having dispensed with that category of relationship altogether, we really dont have any lens left to view it through besides 'queer'. so no, probably not, and certainly not the way we'd think of it now.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Has anybody had a chance to start Vasily Grossman's Stalingrad yet? Life and Fate was one of the most impressive books I've read ever and I'm hoping to start this soon.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
frankly I'd be more surprised if a pulitzer winner didn't enjoy being pissed on

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i mean its deliberately a little weird but its a particular sickness of the modern mind that we cant view any strong homosocial relationship as platonic anymore. in developing the idea of 'gay' we've expanded it to include any physical or emotional intimacy between men. like dudes used to just straight-up hold hands and walk around like that. look at old pictures of dude's sitting on each others laps, or read old letters that men used to send one another. there are often intense expressions of emotion, even love, that are nonetheless not sexual or romantic in character - but, having dispensed with that category of relationship altogether, we really dont have any lens left to view it through besides 'queer'. so no, probably not, and certainly not the way we'd think of it now.

that particular scene is just enormously charged, though. the sperm squishing seems to induce a weird euphoric haze and a state of exception from the usual relationships the crew have with each other - i don't think it takes that much exegesis for it to be interpreted as an erotic scene imo.

though i do agree with the main point of this post, it's worth noting that part of this freedom of homosocial platonic intimacy coincided with the direct suppression of homosexuality. there are hardly any intimate, physical relationships in the western world today which are not interpreted as sexual somehow. idk history of sexuality is some really funky poo poo

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Mr. Squishy posted:

There's a bit later on about a boy everybody loves because of his masterful way with his organ, andpip there's a short story about searching for a good cock.

The Town Ho is full of seamen

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Getting into Nabokov. Read Pale Fire and reading Lolita but after those two not sure which to pick up next.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Idaholy Roller posted:

Getting into Nabokov. Read Pale Fire and reading Lolita but after those two not sure which to pick up next.

Probably the collected short stories but you really can't go wrong. Ada or Ardor, maybe.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

A human heart posted:

while i'm sure that book is likely bad i dont really see the problem with writing about piss.

Imo that page is really funny since its contextualised like "look! this author likes piss" and then the content is basically "look! this character likes piss". It's like the author is preparing his own explanation for liking piss

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Idaholy Roller posted:

Invitation to a Beheading.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like piss.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shibawanko posted:

I like piss.

Answer your phone, Mr. President.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Probably the collected short stories

I agree with this but if you want to read Nabokov in a much less caustic mode, Pnin is a nice example of him at his most humane.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

cda posted:

I agree with this but if you want to read Nabokov in a much less caustic mode, Pnin is a nice example of him at his most humane.

I really enjoyed Pnin. Made me smile.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm thinking of (and so should you) a specific reception to recently lauded books; books about millenial life, especially female millenial life. Short stories if you want, from the New Yorker, Granta, wherever. Take that to the wider example of women as part of the canon. There's a forensic examination of these books, their impact, the response to them and their authors, the cultural significance of them. Authors being asked if the bad sex, or peccadillo, is their own. If they specifically hate men, capitalism, like chick lit, or whatever. There seems to me to be a process where books, and often their authors, are used as a signifying insight into something alien to the reviewer or cultural commentator. Expand it to stories of mental illness, or minority ethnic groups, where the book is a tool to better understand and appreciate someone's life at a distance and the reader doesn't have to engage with the person's, and more often a character's struggles, as they could be to themselves.

There's separating the art from the artist, which is something I wholeheartedly agree with. Often I get the feeling that commentators are separating themselves from the context of the work and the effect of the work. That the talked about works of art these days are cold tools to be utilised, briefly. However, in uniting the artist with the art and making names of them both, the commentariat are separating themselves as impartial, unable to embody the artist, unable to embody the art. It's a disaffected stance not from a culture or society failing to include the disaffected, or respect the commentator's views, but a removal of affect because separation from and isolation of the art allows, what? Esteemed haughtiness? Clarity? Perspective? Maybe a momentary insight into something the reader intellectually wants a reason for, an opinion on, but not a reason to understand or make their own.

I feel like a lot of review, analysis, conversation, whatever, I've come across entails a refusal to engage with a work. It's almost utilitarian in its coldness but entirely absent in providing utility outside a small subsample of analysis and comment. The view of responses to books I'm seeing is a failure to see the object could be me as subject. And not even the specifically written object as me, not necessarily the characters and plot movements, but the broader understandings, associations, revelations from the immediacy of the art. There's a refusal of spirit (and all the personal faith that demands) for a homogenized clarity, an objectivity that can be agreed to, and a commodity that, ultimately, is specifically and prescriptively consumed.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

idk how it is on the states, but here in norway this pretty much correlates perfectly with magazines and newspaper putting their literature and culture departments on the chopping block

we’ve had instances where one of the biggest national newspapers thought fact checking a goddamn novel was a valuable contribution to the discussion of the work, and recently some dumbfuck journalists engaged a bunch of proofreaders and has-been prescriptivists to boldly state that there was 500 instances of correction and comma errors in Dag Solatad’s latest novel

and if you’re a minority? congratulations, you are now a poster-child

we’re slightly better with women, but I think that’s because there are so many who are active and prolific

ulvir fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 25, 2019

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

like there was this bloke who won a prize for best debut novel last year or so, and he pretty quickly ended up denying interviews and debates because he overnight became The One True Minority Voice, even when one of the main themes of the novel was how bad that is

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The idea of a magazine having a literature department in the states is a foreign concept to me.

Heath fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 25, 2019

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Heath posted:

The idea of a magazine having a literature department in the states is a foreign concept to me.

is the new yorker and NRYB and the like another category than a magazine? (earnest question)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I suppose "magazine" makes me think of something intended for mass publication rather than something like the NYRB that also publishes books. I think it wouldn't be incorrect to call it a magazine, but I think the hangup was the idea of a lit department. I picture the literary analysis of most US publications being limited to like, two people talking about bestsellers.

Then again I get most of my book recommendations from here, so I'm not the target audience for that sort of publication either.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

ulvir posted:

idk how it is on the states, but here in norway this pretty much correlates perfectly with magazines and newspaper putting their literature and culture departments on the chopping block

we’ve had instances where one of the biggest national newspapers thought fact checking a goddamn novel was a valuable contribution to the discussion of the work, and recently some dumbfuck journalists engaged a bunch of proofreaders and has-been prescriptivists to boldly state that there was 500 instances of correction and comma errors in Dag Solatad’s latest novel

and if you’re a minority? congratulations, you are now a poster-child

we’re slightly better with women, but I think that’s because there are so many who are active and prolific

i’ve read two books by norwegian women this year (paradise rot + will and testament) and they were both great.
well that’s all i have to contribute to this conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I've heard good things about paradise rot, but I'll probably rot before I find it anywhere for cheap and i have too many books to read to buy it full price