Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I'm not sure if it's just the episode I'm watching (Cheap Italian Supercars) but Top Gear on Motortrend On-demand actually has the original soundtrack. Smoke on the Water started playing and it surprised me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
None of the specials are on the site though, kinda disappointing.

e: nm they're just in a different category. season 1 still has never been available on any of the sites TG has been hosted on

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 2, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
btw, Rutledge from the US Top Gear is now a presenter on the new Netflix auto obstacle course show, Hyperdrive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

btw, Rutledge from the US Top Gear is now a presenter on the new Netflix auto obstacle course show, Hyperdrive.

And it's loving trash

He also has a lovely show on the cooking channel and i laughed out loud when i saw his lovely haircut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJl3LmR6cY

he looks like that rear end in a top hat kid who tells you to gently caress off when you tell him to stop hitting a dog

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

his lovely haircut

Mein gott.

Shame, I thought he was really fun on Top Gear and he represents a specific group of weirdos who are not normally allowed on Top Gear/television, who like poo poo like VW convertible cabriolets.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Powershift posted:

And it's loving trash

Boy are you wrong on this one. I have zero tolerance for trash reality tv and forced drama. Hyperdrive seems like it'll go that direction towards the beginning, and the other commentators kind of suck, but the show gets amazing. You should really give it another shot if you only watched one or two.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

opengl128 posted:

Boy are you wrong on this one. I have zero tolerance for trash reality tv and forced drama. Hyperdrive seems like it'll go that direction towards the beginning, and the other commentators kind of suck, but the show gets amazing. You should really give it another shot if you only watched one or two.

It seems like it's in the same vein as shows like Ninja Warrior or basically all of Netflix's other original competition shows. There's some weird incogruities like the track and obstacles looking to have tons of budget put into it, but somehow not having enough money to ship participants' cars. The amount of obstacle mix-up between course 1 and course 2 is minimal, yet it's basically a totally different course with course 3 (and something one of the cars eliminated due to getting water logged could've completed). The way they have all of the qualifying stuff is also weird, imo.

Commentary stuff is something I don't put much stock in anyways since it's usually such a vacuous thing anyways. The equipment based DNFs seem like a lovely thing to go out for. There's also the issue of people getting lost which, while the spotter should be helping prevent it, still seemed like it was a recurring enough issue that makes me wonder if there weren't issues in the course design itself. There's also a lot of abbreviated runs which is actually a bit disappointing and if it's because the runs aren't exciting, that also probably speaks to how the obstacles are set up and how the courses and competition are set up overall. One thing that's also odd is the lack of profiling of the car, despite every driver bringing in their own car, and in what's presumably oriented towards gearheads. If it's meant for more casual fans, then the drivers should be put into more generic cars (which also mitigates some of the obvious inequalities in models and equipment) kinda like the cheap car challenges from Top Gear or give more explanation about the custom cars.

I can definitely see people getting super turned off by this. The concept is there, but the execution is still a little more than rough, I think.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Hammond curse strikes again.

Freddie Flintoff has a mishap on the same airfield where Hammond crashed the dragster. He's okay.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

DiggityDoink posted:

None of the specials are on the site though, kinda disappointing.

e: nm they're just in a different category. season 1 still has never been available on any of the sites TG has been hosted on

Tbf it's not that good

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Foehammer007 posted:

Tbf it's not that good

Yeah I downloaded it years ago and since it didn’t have May yet and was still trying to find it’s footing, it was kinda boring.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Flintoff was believed to have been driving a motorised trike known as a Time Bandit and was dressed in full motorcycle protective clothing and crash helmet.
The system works.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Was is this thread a while back talking about how the natural state of a trike was driving over it's occupant?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8AwizkBarM

I'm Excited.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:bisonyes:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

They totally spent millions of dollars so they could make a seamen joke, didn't they.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Mustache Ride posted:

They totally spent millions of dollars so they could make a seamen joke, didn't they.

I mean, that and i guess sort of a sequel to the vietnam special

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Mustache Ride posted:

AMASONpoo pooCARSHOW totally did this, yes.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Mustache Ride posted:

I think they spent millions of pounds! :britain:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Reminder that the new season of Top Gear starts today!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Reminder that the new season of Top Gear starts today!

This is not new!!!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

This is not new!!!

Whoops! I saw it on the schedule and didn't look beyond that.

(It's a replay of last June's series.)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Welp, time for another Top Gear US cast

https://collider.com/top-gear-america-cast-release/

Still salty they cancelled the last iteration as it had gotten pretty drat good in my mind.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should just give up already. Either find a team and stick with them, or stop trying. You can't get over the hump of three people awkwardly interacting if you keep assembling new groups of people.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

They should just give up already. Either find a team and stick with them, or stop trying. You can't get over the hump of three people awkwardly interacting if you keep assembling new groups of people.

That's the thing! They got past that hump and then some with the last crew. Bleh.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Pretty sure you guys are referring to the first usa TG crew, right? They were pretty great by the end.

Wasn't there another incarnation of usa TG in between that first one and this one?

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 4, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think everyone means the one group with Tanner Faust?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Tanner, Adam, and Rutledge were really good together. Cancelling them was stupid.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Rob Corddry is cool, I don't know about Dax Shepard

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

We Know Catheters posted:

He married Kristen Bell so he must be doing something right.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just noticed an article on autoblog that had an instagram post from Shepard where he's changing the rotors on his E63 wagon himself because the dealer estimate was $8,400. He also has a '94 Roadmaster with 700hp, and he was in some movie where he drove a Corvette around robbing banks or something? I dunno, didn't see it but I guess he likes cars. His mom worked for GM. Corddry is funny but something like this is all about how the three work together. I'll give it a fair shake, especially since I just kind of skimmed the last season of British Top Gear. Looking forward to this Grand Tour special with the boats though.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Dax is one of those rare instances (Kristen is too) where a famous person is actually just a really nice person, so I am pretty excited for this.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The fact that we never got the rutledge and james may hour where they like build a honda grom or something is a crime

More affable dad hosts

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

We Know Catheters posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JewPE6-_Ytc

He's also been on a few car podcasts in the last few years and seems to be a legit gearhead. I don't know whether he has hosting ability, but he certainly fits in to a car show cast.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 4, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

We're overlooking Jethro who is like another Chris Harris except maybe not as excitable but he's a great driver and also comes from the auto magazine circuit.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UYWWhQf5YE

I thought I saw this in this thread but guess not

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Might as well have Alex on Autos, Doug Mouro and Tony Stewart do the next version.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I might have a man crush on Dax, he’s a total car guy with a stable of badass cars and bikes. And jethro has a really nice 996 911 that has just the right stance, there’s a video of him driving it around for evo somewhere on YouTube, and he’s always an intersting guest on the smoking tire podcast. Don’t know the third guy but it will be interesting to see how they all gel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Rob Corddry was on The Daily show, and I don't know what else he's done.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

He was in Hot Tub Time Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkNLck0Gsto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cojawfee posted:

Rob Corddry was on The Daily show, and I don't know what else he's done.

I found someone that has to watch Children's Hospital!