Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Just means you get graded low for that mission there. I also did that, I turned in 4 because I want to hoard them crystals.

Ah. So I wonder what the hell optional quest I haven't done? I just went throughout north knot and no one had orders for sam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Heavy Metal posted:

Just means you get graded low for that mission there. I also did that, I turned in 4 because I want to hoard them crystals.

I haven't dropped under 10k crystals since around the end or even earlier, and I've been repairing a lot of structures I come across.

If anything you can start actively hunting BTs and bosses if you feel you need some more, it's nbd even on hard. That'll probably be the way to play long term anyway.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
As much as I like this game, it's in spite of some horribly annoying design.

The skippable cut-scenes on everything are one thing, especially when they don't really hide any loading, but the somewhat slipshod autosave feature is what pisses me off the most.

Like, the game puts you into this false sense of security where things aren't so bad when you "die", you dust yourself off and get back on with it not that far back from where you are with all of your gear wrecked. It's punishing but not frustrating.

Missions tied to a loving game over though because of forced plot? Nah, gently caress that, you're all the way back to when the game last autosaved which 95% of the time is when you left the last loving building. So, make your way through that perilous BT field only to be surprised by that sub boss in chapter 11, which send you back not to the entrance of the BT field, no, but all the way back to the facility.

Usually i want to keep playing this game even after i gently caress up, but not when that kind of poo poo happens.

This game is a lot of fun, but it's a loving mess at other times.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Lanth posted:

If anything you can start actively hunting BTs and bosses if you feel you need some more, it's nbd even on hard.
Yup, I was avoiding BT areas like crazy even late in the game, taking way longer to go around and build zipline networks; after way too many songs that went straight to the private room without being heard in context I decided I've got enough tools to go on the offensive. Really caught me off guard how trivial it is. I was sure the BTs work like any other tactical espionage enemy, with a cone of sight etc., just invisible; turns out crouching and holding your breath effectively gives you 100% camo and not only can you pass straight through them, cutting a cord refills your breath so you start following the odradek and cutting straight through :getin:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Every distro center and prepper hut you go to, claim the chiral crystals there. They have hundreds and always replenish and it takes no space.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, I hoard them crystals like Scrooge Mcduck.

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Heavy Metal posted:

For sure, I hoard them crystals like Scrooge Mcduck.

Ham, this is Fry Lard Man.
Stop hogging the crystals.

*Scanning Fridges-ID*
Welcome back, Ham Porterhouse Fridges.

I'm not sorry.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Kin posted:

As much as I like this game, it's in spite of some horribly annoying design.

The skippable cut-scenes on everything are one thing, especially when they don't really hide any loading, but the somewhat slipshod autosave feature is what pisses me off the most.

Like, the game puts you into this false sense of security where things aren't so bad when you "die", you dust yourself off and get back on with it not that far back from where you are with all of your gear wrecked. It's punishing but not frustrating.

Missions tied to a loving game over though because of forced plot? Nah, gently caress that, you're all the way back to when the game last autosaved which 95% of the time is when you left the last loving building. So, make your way through that perilous BT field only to be surprised by that sub boss in chapter 11, which send you back not to the entrance of the BT field, no, but all the way back to the facility.

Usually i want to keep playing this game even after i gently caress up, but not when that kind of poo poo happens.

This game is a lot of fun, but it's a loving mess at other times.

You can save at any time through the menu or by resting.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hub Cat posted:

You can save at any time through the menu or by resting.

Not when you've detected "danger".

And that's not the point.

The game throws you into situationa where you're heavily penalised because it's removed behavioural gameplay elements that it's taught you to use.

If you've spent the last 40 hours playing the game without save scumming, you're hardly going to start when you get to a section that has an uncharacteristic game over attached to it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I’m trying to figure out which part your talking about because episode 11 is vietnam. Are you talking about the whale?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that it'd be nice for the game to auto-save or checkpoint save when you leave a BT zone. As is, the only time the game auto-saves is when you interact with a terminal and it only checkpoint saves after completing deliveries and during very specific cutscene/mission breaks, so it feels a bit pointless.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heavy Metal posted:

A legend... he's the man who delivers...

I mean, loving hell, he really did loving deliver, didn't he? All these years, all this hype and anticipation? He really earned it, if you ask me.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1198750244386721792

B'awwwhhh. Comparing this to that endgame mirror conversation in MGSV, he really is on another level.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah they aren't wrong. I got grabbed by an extra fast BT near the end in Edge Knot city and it was an instant game that started me back at the distro center which was frustrating.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 25, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I’m surprised by that, I was killed by the metal gear in episode 9 and you come right back. I guess it’s incapable of eating you. I assume if you die on the beach it’s game over, but it seems like that would be pretty hard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think I've spotted a small hole in the game's saving logic that's contributing to the problem. From my meager amount of testing, it seems that the game does autosave when you enter or leave an area connected to the chiral network. Checkpoint saves are reserved for mission progress- for example (chapter 5 spoiler) the game drops a checkpoint save when you enter the terrorist zone in the forest on your way to Mountain Knot. But it DOESN'T seem to drop a save on return visits to that same area, and since it's part of the network on return trips, that means the game will no longer autosave or checkpoint save when you pass through. Thus, the hole in the logic is that if you are making a delivery to an area that's on the chiral network already AND you've already passed through it on a main mission, it won't save there anymore.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

So what are the changes with the DOOMS Zodiac? Do you spot BTs quicker or something? Was that tuned to the birthdays of Kojima's director friends so they'd have an easier time?

also oh my god the birthday cake gets smaller the more poo poo you do in the private room :kimchi: you can't get drunk any time the table is different from the default though, the third animation loops for the last two cans

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think the birthday zodiac sign does anything for gameplay, it's just for fun. On two different playthroughs I picked my birthday (8/25, so Virgo) and a random Cancer birthday and there wasn't any difference. Guess we'll find out when the dataminers get the PC version though!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Guess we'll find out when the dataminers get the PC version though!
Best thing that's gonna come out of that is getting all the dynamic layers + stingers for the MULE fight themes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm really psyched to peek under the hood and see how all the online stuff works. I know it'll ruin the magic a little but they've put together such a fascinating and unique system, I hope it inspires other developers.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ruffian Price posted:

So what are the changes with the DOOMS Zodiac? Do you spot BTs quicker or something? Was that tuned to the birthdays of Kojima's director friends so they'd have an easier time?

also oh my god the birthday cake gets smaller the more poo poo you do in the private room :kimchi: you can't get drunk any time the table is different from the default though, the third animation loops for the last two cans

The zodiac signs mentioned are all references to BT bosses.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, I've been playing for a bit. On Chapter 3, just reunited the junk dealer with his artist girlfriend/wife, and I kinda had a revelation.

This game is beautifully zen.

Even if I am just raiding MULE camps to pick up metals and ceramics for the roads, making a trek to move some cargo, or ramping my bike over a ravine. It just feels good to be a part of this weird half-dead world. There is a simple serenity about it that a lot of other games don't really get. Horizon kinda did it, MGS 5 when in free mode had those moments, but Death Stranding just...basks in it's world. It's hard to state how casual and how ever-present it all feels. It feels more like Red Dead 2 with how personal and unique the world feels, inbetween the missions when you are out on the range, hunting or exploring and just taking it in.

A lot of the criticism, I think, misses that. Yeah, the core gameplay is just fetch quests. But the way that everything factors into that, from weight and stamina management to avoiding conflict or finding your route, gives it a lot more depth than a Skyrim quest or the like. That fetch quest will involve every aspect of the game and its world, and it is drat rare to see a game be as all-encompasing than this one is when involving it's goals and missions. And it does it with every mission.

Even a drat pizza delivery made me factor in my load, my vehicles, the terrain I was crossing. It demanded my attention, instead of a few clicks for fast travel and some dialog.

It is not a game for everyone, but drat do I enjoy it so far.

Edit: I also recently got the Anti-BT gun, is there any benefit to shooting BTs aside from not dying?

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 25, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Nothing gets your blood pumping like hauling 300 kg cargo with a floating carrier, speed exoskeleton and just tackling / shooting everyone who gets in your way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Clavavisage posted:

Hold up, did I really just play a cinematic knockout game?

"Just a good old fashioned BOSS FIGHT"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Endgame questions:

Regarding Chapter 15, is there any new story content or is this just flashing back to the period after you are rescued from Amelie's beach but before Die-Hardman's inauguration cutscene?

iirc it's just a bunch of interviews / journals you can unlock by doing more deliveries.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Fighting humans tips:

The non-lethal rifle can potentially knock out a dude in one hit.

Set off alarm. Hide behind a truck or large rock, let them come close.

Once they’re within 20 feet you should be able to reliably hit them in the face with the rifle in 2-3 shots. The slow motion from knocking the first one gives you time to line up your second target, and so on. Saves a ton of bullets.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

J.A.B.C. posted:

Edit: I also recently got the Anti-BT gun, is there any benefit to shooting BTs aside from not dying?

They drop chiralium. The anti-bt gun is kind of a waste of time because later you get blood bullets for your regular gun.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

They drop chiralium. The anti-bt gun is kind of a waste of time because later you get blood bullets for your regular gun.

You get blood bullets, but a fully charged shot from a level 2 anti-BT gun does immense damage, and is easily the fastest way to just nuke a boss short of carrying around a bunch of rocket launchers.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Wait, wait, You get a real gun?! Holy poo poo, game changer.

I'm currently spending my time rebuilding highways in Chapter 3. Is this worth it or should I continue on with the story?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I chuck a couple grenades into a big BT then shoot it with an assault rifle. They go down super quick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Chapter 12 Has anyone played this in offline mode? must be a major pain in the rear end that way, or does the game cheat and place NPC structures to help you?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I am in the epilogue kind of thing, after the beach.

For how silly about 50%-65% of this game can be, it gets surprisingly powerful. I really didn't see this kind of emotional weight coming at all.

I'm so impressed by this game. On paper it doesn't seem like it should work at all, but in execution it's absolutely amazing. So good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

"Just a good old fashioned BOSS FIGHT"

I dunno how people don't like Higgs. He's amazing, and his voice acting is also amazing.

"Sound like fun? O' COURSE IT DOES"

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I am in the epilogue kind of thing, after the beach.

For how silly about 50%-65% of this game can be, it gets surprisingly powerful. I really didn't see this kind of emotional weight coming at all.

I'm so impressed by this game. On paper it doesn't seem like it should work at all, but in execution it's absolutely amazing. So good.

It's interesting how NOT weird the game ended up being after the loving what the gently caress feeling the trailers gave off. I mean poo poo IS weird, but nothing is so weird that it doesn't make sense. Everything in the game is explained and is consistent. Like nothing is weird for the sake of being weird.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 25, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Fighting humans tips:

The non-lethal rifle can potentially knock out a dude in one hit.

Set off alarm. Hide behind a truck or large rock, let them come close.

Once they’re within 20 feet you should be able to reliably hit them in the face with the rifle in 2-3 shots. The slow motion from knocking the first one gives you time to line up your second target, and so on. Saves a ton of bullets.

This is a protip right here. I normally aim at their torso and the recoil makes the 2nd or 3rd shot pop them in the dome for a quick knockout.

Spite posted:

I chuck a couple grenades into a big BT then shoot it with an assault rifle. They go down super quick.

Ya this is something else I missed or wasn't explained well enough. The red bloodstain on a BT counts as the blood cloud or whatever so shooting that with a lethal weapon does a lot of damage. So just hit a boss with a grenade then unload on it until the bloodstain disappears. For some reason I thought only shooting through the actual blood cloud effect would trigger the bonus damage.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Macaluso posted:

I dunno how people don't like Higgs. He's amazing, and his voice acting is also amazing.

It's interesting how NOT weird the game ended up being after the loving what the gently caress feeling the trailers gave off. I mean poo poo IS weird, but nothing is so weird that it doesn't make sense. Everything in the game is explained and is consistent. Like nothing is weird for the sake of being weird.

I agree with all this. Higgs was a fun villain, IMO.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Higgs was amazing, there just should have been more of him

Regarding the weirdness or lack thereof: I definitely agree. it very much seemed like kojima had made the Combat Veteran parts, or at least the first one, before he really even knew what the game was gonna be. Clifford being a super war guy but also being a goofy loving dad felt really awkward. if it HAD been planned that way all along, they failed in the execution imo. The Clifford we see in the flashbacks seems like a novelist or scientist, not a black ops badass.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Honestly, this game makes more coherent sense than MGS4 'Nanomachines, Snake! Also Big Boss is alive' nonsense.

And Troy Baker is at his absolute best in this one. I've only seen Higgs once and he is already one of the best characters. Can't wait to see what he does next.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
whats the trick to getting any stars on the First Prepper? I cant find lost packages anywhere for him

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Clavavisage posted:

whats the trick to getting any stars on the First Prepper? I cant find lost packages anywhere for him

Find an outpost that has a quest for him. Timefall Farms, The Doctor, Craftsman, Waystation north of Mountain Knot City and Mountain Knot City are the ones I can remember with quests for him. Do some, rest, read his email, do another. I didn't get any of his lost packages to start spawning around the map until he had 3 stars and joined the UCA.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J.A.B.C. posted:

Wait, wait, You get a real gun?! Holy poo poo, game changer.

I'm currently spending my time rebuilding highways in Chapter 3. Is this worth it or should I continue on with the story?

It's a matter of taste but I recommend pushing on a bit. As you progress the story, you get more tools and weapons and vehicles that make life a little easier, and you can always come back and dick around in the open world later. But there's no wrong way to play really, if you're having fun you can just keep doing what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I feel kinda silly just gushing about the game, but it's just so unlike any other game I've played in so many ways. I love it.