Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

I think some of you aren't going to be happy until we get a Star Wars show done by David Simon about the underground sex trade of Coruscant, trafficking twi'lek sex slaves, funded by death sticks money, from the gritty streets of Level 1313, all the way to the upper echelons of power in the Galactic Senate.

Star Wars is supposed to be fun. The Mandalorian is FUN.

I would also watch that though

E this tweet had a surprise ending

https://twitter.com/nikc_is_sad/status/1198795148534136834?s=19

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Dominic West as Detective McClunkey.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

veni veni veni posted:

Wow cold pursuit is so loving bad lol.

They should've kept the name "In Order Of Disappearance". The original wasn't great either but at least the villain was entertaining.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I must admit I tuned out after the 1st 15 minutes. But in those 15 minutes the plot, pacing, and dialogue all felt like a parody of a spaghetti western. For instance the gang that attacks him for the slight of opening the bar door. That's taking the looking for a fight scummy desperado cliche to a laughable extreme. I'm no great fan of Star Wars but this felt like a weak entry even by the standard of family entertainment that Star Wars operates under.

I will say the costume and character design was all really good.

I mean, Star Wars, as a whole, operates on movie clichés. There has to be a certain cheese level.

So far my only complaint is that they are going for a Spaghetti Western look but some of it is just kinda drab, which is an issue some of Disney's SW stuff has (Solo because of the reshoots, Rogue One until the big finale.)

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I remember thinking Force Awakens looked saucey when there wasn't action or CGI on screen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

My wife found this anime call Hi Score Girl on Netflix and I think this is what Tim Buckley imagined CAD would be when he went 'serious' instead of the Loss meme generator it turned out to be. It's set during the 90s, the main character is a schoolboy who is terrible at every subject but really good at games, and then he develops a romance-rivalry with a mute girl who beat him at Street Fighter 2. Later he meets another girl who hates him, but falls for him anyway as he keeps playing the arcade cabinets her grandfather set up at the store she lives above. Also the new girl eventually becomes really good Street Fighter 2 as well.

This CAD part is how video games is part of everything. The protagonist has an imaginary Guile act as his Jiminy Cricket (other characters from other games also show up). Video game facts about Street Fighter movies banned in tournaments and obscure glitches shows up from time to time in the narration. The passage of time is marked by console and game releases. And every game featured is real. Not just from Capcom, but also every major game publisher in the 1990s, which are all listed in the credits.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Dominic West as Detective McClunkey.

I know people talk about spit takes like they are a common thing but this is the first and only time I've had soda fire out my nose from laughing at something mid-drink. Nicely done.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mandalorian is extremely good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If they hasn't already shown Mando as a child, they could have had him take the helmet off in the last episode to reveal he's a Yoda monster too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mando definitely does not gently caress

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

If they hasn't already shown Mando as a child, they could have had him take the helmet off in the last episode to reveal he's a Yoda monster too.

Beneath the helmet, his ears should be:

a) Docked
b) Tied back in a pony tail
c) Wrapped around his head like a turban

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s a man bun under that helmet

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
A smaller helmet.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Fallom posted:

There’s a man bun under that helmet

HERETIC

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Mando has a headless horseman situation going on, I'd bet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

He has a manly hairdo, or "mando" for short.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

As a Denver native, I am very used to portrayals of Colorado in movies being completely off, but Cold Pursuit is the first time I've actually lolled. I'm pretty sure the people who made it were only aware of Colorado as a vague concept that included mountains.

The shot of "Denver" near the beginning is amazing. They took the skyline and photoshopped it into an icy wasteland with a single, one lane road leading to it. Then they cut to the house and it's just blatantly LA with some fake snow drizzled around.

Sadly Denver is becoming LA 2.0 so they aren't that far off.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I had to rent it on demand, so not sure this is the right thread, but I watched The Death of Dick Long (2019) last night and it was fantastic.

Warning: I've been an Andre Hyland fan for over a decade at this point, so I'm very biased. I also am a white guy who grew up in a small rural majority-white town with very little real industry to speak of.

It perfectly depicts aging white losers who never matured past middle school and who have never left their hometown, and the absurd comedy of their boring stupid lives.

Plot spoilers: The movie revolves around a Mr. Hands style death, and most of the drama comes from bored lonely rednecks who got into some seriously deviant sex poo poo. But when circumstances force them to confront it, they're completely incapable of doing it, because a) small town maladjusted red neck losers, and b) they haven't even confronted it themselves so you're watching them wrestle with it in real time.

Hilarious movie, and completely unlike any other slice-of-life small-town movie I've seen. Highly recommended.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got around to watching Upgrade and it’s a super fun movie.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The MSJ posted:

My wife found this anime call Hi Score Girl

Sure pal your wife found it, so did mine. Entertaining show, the hero being basically worthless and having the ladies fawning over him is so tired though.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

Finally got around to watching Upgrade and it’s a super fun movie.

It is such a great flick. Probably one of my favorite somewhat recently made movies.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Netflix dumped MST3k I'm dumping it after I watch the Irishman tomorrow

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Junkie Disease posted:

Friendly reminder that Twitch's 24/7 MST3K channel is up and running.

http://www.twitch.tv/mst3k

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
And there's a bunch on YouTube and rifftrax on Amazon prime

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PlutoTV also has MST3K and RiffTrax

loving Netflix.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I mean no more Daredevil, luke cage, black mirror isn't doing it for me anymore and they dumped MST3k I'm done

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Off the top of my head:

MST3K: Netflix (for now?), Twitch, ShoutfactoryTV, Pluto, TubiTV and some episodes on Youtube.

Rifftrax: Twitch, ShoutfactoryTV, Amazon, Pluto, TubiTV

Cinematic Titanic: ShoutfactoryTV, TubiTV

There's definitely going to be some overlap but there ya go.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Junkie Disease posted:

I mean no more Daredevil, luke cage, black mirror isn't doing it for me anymore and they dumped MST3k I'm done

Don't misunderstand: I'm on the verge of canceling my Netflix, too. I just want to make sure everyone has easy access to MST3K.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Honestly it might be good, Netflix-wise, that Disney has their own thing. Disney, marvel and star wars being off the table probably frees up a hilarious amount of money for content acquisition, and other things have continued to exist this whole time

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nihonniboku posted:

I think some of you aren't going to be happy until we get a Star Wars show done by David Simon about the underground sex trade of Coruscant, trafficking twi'lek sex slaves, funded by death sticks money, from the gritty streets of Level 1313, all the way to the upper echelons of power in the Galactic Senate.

Yes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nihonniboku posted:

Star Wars is supposed to be fun. The Mandalorian is FUN.

:frogon:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

Don't misunderstand: I'm on the verge of canceling my Netflix, too. I just want to make sure everyone has easy access to MST3K.

Remember when Netflix promoted it that one time? yeah me nether

mystes
May 31, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Honestly it might be good, Netflix-wise, that Disney has their own thing. Disney, marvel and star wars being off the table probably frees up a hilarious amount of money for content acquisition, and other things have continued to exist this whole time
All the content is getting more expensive, though, and that's what pushed Netflix to invest so much in original shows in the first place. This works if they can continue to get subscribers, but that may be affected by the entry of more competitors to the market.

I think there are three possibilities, really: 1) everyone subscribes to multiple services because they're willing to pay more if they can get more new content that they like, 2) people start hopping between services every month, 3) one service wins and the rest die.

The biggest problem is that if 2 happens, Netflix might have no choice but to cut back on how much they can spend on original content.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm resigned to just going to :filez: at this point because shits only going to get dumber and its more expensive and more annoying to track down stuff between upwards of 5+ different streaming services just to watch a show or movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I'll settle for a tight story, coherent thematic arcs, and well-drawn characters with arcs and POVs. I'd prefer a fun, light tone with that, but I'll take dark if it fits the story.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mystes posted:

All the content is getting more expensive, though, and that's what pushed Netflix to invest so much in original shows in the first place. This works if they can continue to get subscribers, but that may be affected by the entry of more competitors to the market.

I think there are three possibilities, really: 1) everyone subscribes to multiple services because they're willing to pay more if they can get more new content that they like, 2) people start hopping between services every month, 3) one service wins and the rest die.

The biggest problem is that if 2 happens, Netflix might have no choice but to cut back on how much they can spend on original content.

The problem is that Netflix went way too hard on quantity over quality. They should have focused on high quality shows, maybe even having the full 26 episodes seasons instead of the super short highly focused seasons that are currently the norm. Serialized tv is great, but sometimes people just want to watch a random fun standalone episode of a show. Also, they need to drop the binge model. I like Mandalorian more for releasing episodes on a weekly basis.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't think they need to stop releasing the full season all at once, there's nothing stopping them from releasing episodes on a weekly basis unless their metrics tell them it would cost them subscribers.

Back when Spartacus was still on they released episodes (I think during Gods of the Arena or maybe season 2 at least) the day after they aired on Starz and it was great. If they could do the same thing now that would be awesome, especially for the channels that nobody has or pays attention to like Epix. Just sucks that every channel has it's own streaming platform now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The problem is that Netflix went way too hard on quantity over quality. They should have focused on high quality shows, maybe even having the full 26 episodes seasons instead of the super short highly focused seasons that are currently the norm. Serialized tv is great, but sometimes people just want to watch a random fun standalone episode of a show. Also, they need to drop the binge model. I like Mandalorian more for releasing episodes on a weekly basis.

What the hell were they supposed to do? I still remember the early 2010s when Netflix had a lot of movies they didn't produce. It wasn't an amazing selection but it made the service worth it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know what to think about Netflix right now. I've had it almost consistently since back when it was a DVD service and this is the first time I've really wondered if it was worth it. Been thinking about subbing a la carte for the first time, since it seems like they maybe put out one thing I want to watch a month, and their non Netflix produced selection is getting dire.

I'm honestly not super thrilled with any streaming service atm. So much content and I can't seem to find anything I actually want to watch most of the time. If I was less lazy and impulsive I'd probably just juggle my subs instead of paying like 50 dollars a month for streaming services that I maybe watch for 20 hours a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Junkie Disease posted:

what? Dumb. It was my go-to for when nearly all the rest of Netflix is uninteresting.

MST3K is also on Shoutfactory.