Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Madmarker posted:

I have eaten everything at every restaraunt and completed everything for pocket circuit.....literally the only stuff left is the gambling and mahjong minigame stuff

I meant like, pork buns, or lunches, things that actually sit in your inventory so uhhhh, wow, I've got nothing, I never bothered with any of the gambling ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Get Good at Majhong and Koi Koi, they are good consistent early game moneymakers.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Which was the first game that added the extra symbols to the Mahjong tiles so people with terrible memory could keep track of the winds and character tiles. I want to say it was 6 or Kiwami 2.

I always got the rules well enough to play a hand or two, but had trouble remembering the picture for anything past 5 of characters. Obviously the other suits are fine, and Winds only count for matching mostly so that was easy. Dragons were at least coloured coded. Once they added those hint symbols my addiction really took off though, and finally let me memorize the rest of the symbols.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mahjong seriously needs a hand guide the way Koi Koi does. Then again Koi Koi doesn't require nearly as much memorization. I'm farming SP in Judgment so I can chain-spam cheat items to powerlevel mahjong girl's friendship meter.

I wish the developers would add an interactive tutorial instead of having to memorize 30 pages of rules/winning hands.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Koi Koi you can get by just by remembering the high value cards and taking them if possible. Most of them pair up fairly widely. Knowing when to Call Koi or Don't Call Koi is the real secret and you get a feel of it really quick.

Mahjong you can mostly win by making simple hands (4 triplets and a double), discarding individual special tiles first, and not calling pon or kan. If you just keep hammering out low value hands you can usually come out ahead. Working toward something complicated is really situation and requires some serious memory though.

Judgment farming SP comes down to running the Hard Long VR course and just doing as many of the squares as you can then buying the best Hug Bombs. You don't even need to get to the end, the reward for finishing is marginal. That's why you don't use the challenge courses, because you lose everything if you don't finish in those.

Personally I like to rack up some big money and lots of dice, then get hit by bad Kyronyan. Chase him down after to get back way more than you lost. If one of the purple enemies spawns, lose on purpose so a new evil Kyronyan spawns. My best run was something like 15million in 20 minutes.

Edit: Also, Mahjong girl wants you to go out on certain hands to level, not just wins if I recall. The cheats just let you win the game instantly on the first draw. This does not guarantee you have the bonus marker and draws you to specific winning hand. So get ready to spam a lot of cheats or load saves. In my experience it took a lot less time just to play the hands myself. But I am addicted as I mentioned and just view it as practice/raw fun.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 22, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
WOW I did everything in the Shin Yakuza demo on the Japanese PSN and it's already GOTY 2020. The combat is a lot breezier than I was expecting and you get a good variety of skills and stuff, it's way more fun than I was expecting. Also, uh, THAT clan is back from a previous game in the series the infantalization fetishists :lol:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Okay seriously gently caress Mahjong. Every time I get 4 triplets and a pair it keeps making me discard tiles. Where is the ficking I WIN, I HAVE THE RIGHT GODDAMNED HAND button? I just want to finish this friend event and move on with the side stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just having triples isnt enough. The easiest hands for me to form are all of one suite and either triples, or straight sets depending on my initial draw. The remaining pair can be of any suite.

http://arcturus.su/wiki/List_of_yaku

https://osamuko.com/top-10-hands-you-should-re-memorize-if-you-ever-lose-your-memory/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

And Tyler Too! posted:

Okay seriously gently caress Mahjong. Every time I get 4 triplets and a pair it keeps making me discard tiles. Where is the ficking I WIN, I HAVE THE RIGHT GODDAMNED HAND button? I just want to finish this friend event and move on with the side stuff.

I think there's a button, o maybe, that let's you declare tsumo. Just mash it anytime you think you're close and the match will autoplay out

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I believe it's square but yeah pretty much with every tile draw I hit it to see if I can riichi or tsumo or something.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
So trying to round out Yak 2's Cabaret Club stuff.

Why, now that I've finished the plot, does the Executive League still forbid me from having eight hostesses?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

And Tyler Too! posted:

There are some weird rules like you can't call on a tile you discarded previously and some other poo poo.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Also, it doesn't always show the riichi button for whatever reason. Just get in the habit of hitting square at the start of your turn to see if you qualify. Keep in mind you have to draw or take the tile to complete your hand. You will always be one move away when you can declare riichi.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Are you Pon or Chi'ing to get these triplets?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Yeah. Never pon, chi or kan unless you know what you're doing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Some of the other guides have been linked but this is the FAQ I usually direct people to (which has links to other guides)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mahjong/comments/cdg75k/riichi_japanese_mahjong_faq/

as someone who learned Mahjong through Yakuza and got addicted to online play, here are some other practical rules-of-thumb once you know the rules and want to actually win games:

- Memorizing the hand chart isn't that hard once you figure out that a lot of the yaku are "upgraded" or "inverse" versions of other yaku. e.g. Half Flush -> Flush, or Tanyao (all simples) -> Chanta (All sets include a terminal or honor) Most of the limit hands are also super rare and you shouldn't bother memorizing them beyond the "easy" ones (13 orphans/all concealed sets/big three dragons).

- Opening your hand invalidates some yaku, and makes others less valuable. As has been said before, don't open your hand unless you know why you're doing it. if you're *just* beginning, opening to get yakuhai (dragon or value wind set) results in a valid hand, but unless you have other yaku, this tends to be a very low-score win and you shouldn't rely on this.

- Pinfu (closed hand, all runs, finished with an open wait, pair isn't a value wind/dragon pair) is the "default" yaku to go for if you have a "normal" opening deal. Despite sounding complicated, it's an extremely common yaku to get. This is because efficient play in mahjong, which emphasizes open waits (like 67 waiting on 5/8) more or less pushes you toward it anyway.

- The easiest way to get a high value hand is Riichi + Pinfu + Tanyao (all simples), with other han coming from dora, tsumo or ippatsu. The "meta" (if that's the right word) of mahjong is built around this kind of win, with other types of hands being situational.

- The "abnormal" opening hands to watch out for are either if you're very heavy in one suit+honors (in which case you might want to go for half flush/flush), or if you have 4+ pairs, in which case you will likely want to go for toitoi (all sets, open) or chiitoitsu (7 pairs).

- Toitoi (all sets) is a classic beginner trap hand. I'd only advise going for it if almost all, or all your pairs are honors, or 8/9 1/2 tiles. This is because middle tiles are unlikely to be discarded, especially later in a hand.

- You should almost always declare riichi when you have the chance. There are exceptions but you can learn those once you get better at the game.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 24, 2019

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Also, unless you are like in tempai, if there are less then like 10 draws left, calling tiles to be in tempai even if you can't win tends to be better in the long term.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I finally got through the Mahjong stuff and all that's left now is Shin Amon? There's an Amon guy? Of course, why wouldn't there be?!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So is it me or is Yakuza 4 just a little uh... Rough?

Well let me explain. The way I tend to play Yakuza games is that I'll tackle as many side stories in each chapter. Like when you first open up the businesses in yakuza 0 I spent so much time before even going to the next chapter. Or in Judgment you can easily spent 20 hours in one chapter on side story stuff.

However in Yakuza 4 it's just killing my motivation to play. I finish the first part with the loan guy and now I'm playing as Saejima but the number of side stories seem very low and oh man it's kinda annoying getting around as Saejima. I feel like my momentum died when I switched characters.

Should I just basically say gently caress it and rush the main story in Yakuza 4 and do all the optional content after? Is that just the best way to handle it?

I didn't mind how Yakuza 3 is a little easygoing and slow in the beginning because it really felt like it fit the story. And it just sprinkled enough side stories to keep me wandering around ryukyu and kamurocho for hours

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saejima's bit is like two hours long if you just rush the main story at least and it's very easy to get railroaded into not having any choice with him too.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I want to say Yakuza 4 is the first one without missable sidequests, but I might be wrong on that. Either way Saejima's story is pretty restricted, I remember not liking it much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A Real Happy Camper posted:

I want to say Yakuza 4 is the first one without missable sidequests, but I might be wrong on that. Either way Saejima's story is pretty restricted, I remember not liking it much.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that started with 4. Saejima's story in 4 is at least way better than his bit in 5.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'm one of three people on earth who actually liked the hunting, but his part in 5 was way too long, probably in reaction to his part in 4 being relatively short

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The bad thing is that the hunting was the BEST part of his section

God that city was boring and annoying to navigate

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

man, Sayama's intro scene is really the best

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Saejima's part in 5 kicks rear end, actually

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm gonna need ya'll to come to a consensus on Yakuza 5 so I can know whether to look forward to it with dread or anticipation.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'm gonna need ya'll to come to a consensus on Yakuza 5 so I can know whether to look forward to it with dread or anticipation.

It rules, don't try to 100% it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RareAcumen posted:

It's fine, it's just not nearly as good as 4

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

With Judgment shelved I can finally get back to work on Y3 and it seems no matter what game I play there are chase sequences. I'm only in Ch. 5 of Yakuza 3, but please tell me I won't have to tail anyone. The tailing segments in Judgment were sooooooooooo boring.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

With Judgment shelved I can finally get back to work on Y3 and it seems no matter what game I play there are chase sequences. I'm only in Ch. 5 of Yakuza 3, but please tell me I won't have to tail anyone. The tailing segments in Judgment were sooooooooooo boring.

I only remember the superior 'catch that fleeing scumbag!' version of things so I wanna say no? Also, don't ignore Mack, do go to where he's hanging out and do all his training to upgrade your stamina and stuff.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

precision posted:

It's fine, it's just not nearly as good as 4

I absolutely disagree, 5 has the hottest finishing stretch of just about any Yakuza game except maybe 0.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

If anyone hasn’t picked Judgment it’s on sale for $25 on Amazon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RareAcumen posted:

Its way better than 4 at least

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm a long way back in the thread but I just finished Kiwami with about 75% completion! I beat 0 last year and loved it. Kiwami is some more Yakuza which is great but it's very obviously a PS2 game jazzed up in places. Glad to hear Kiwami 2 is better thought of.

Some thoughts:

- The story is all over the place with weird side plots that just don't go anywhere. It reminds me of GTA3 how plots and people were introduced and immediately discarded, along with the 'but I must ask you a favour first...' and 'oh, this isn't the right place, try looking in x, y and z instead!' missions. It's a video game from 15 years ago so I can forgive that.

- That said when the story is good, it's good, though not close to the level of 0 where I was desperate to know what happened next throughout. I gasped out loud at Shimano dying, he's such a memorable character in 0 I thought he'd be an antagonist for several games. Same goes for Kazama and Nishiki, I guess that when they made this they weren't planning on sequels so it's a bit of a bloodbath as a result. Shows how good 0 was at establishing those characters that I thought they'd be indispensable.

- Some of the fights were just obnoxious. Shimano at the start and Jingu were the worst but named enemies in general have way too much health and beating them is tedious. Doubly so if guns are involved.

- Jinro is the worst villain, give me Shimano or Shibusawa any day. The guy turns up and spends the whole time going 'I am a very bad man! Watch me do things that establish how bad I am!'.

- I'd much rather have had 10 good fights with Majima than 4 variations 15 times each. Tedious. Majima should never be boring but here we are.

- Only madheads go for 100% completion, I know, but some of the minigames are awful. Mesuking is wretched, Baseball is just an extended timing test with no nuance. The luck-based gambling is fine but the scores you need to get CP are way too high. Pocket Circuit is the bestest ever.

- I love the sidequests that show that Kiryu is the nicest punchiest man in the world.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Man, the five-minute, unskippable, unspeedupable cutscene where Katsuragi slowly walks Tanimura around the Millenium Tower and exposits at him just gets better with each playthrough!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
let's just say there was a reason that people would always say "you don't play Yakuza for the main quest" before Yakuza 0

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RareAcumen posted:

if the side content is your favorite part of Yakuza like it is for me, then Yakuza 5 is the best game in the series.

Please do not attempt to 100% it unless you have some kind of mental illness.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yakuza 5 is wildly uneven and perhaps tries to do too much even for a Yakuza title. It's got heart though. I would never say not to play it, all the Yakuza games are great. Just, some are more great than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The part where Saejima imagines a night out on the town still cracks me the hell up.