Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I definitely set the loadout through the NPC. It just didn't stick, and hasn't through multiple attempts. I mean, it's whatever. You just need to make sure you're loading up every time you get off the horse (and picking a proper rifle or whatever every time you get on it), which is a bit of a pain but nothing horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I'm using the Customize option at gunsmith, exactly the same way you do for Online, which works 100% of the time in Online. But in storymode the next time you get off your horse its still defaults to no back/shoulder weapon anyway.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I somehow missed the single player part, my apologies. Yeah, in single player it's touch and go and missions tend to force certain weapons on you for some godawful reason.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

SplitSoul posted:

Thanks for the advice. They're kinda ugly, though. :sigh:

the bay frame is alright. looks like a cow, i call mine cookies & cream. the marble coat, well, ymmv, i thought it made the horse look like lunch meat

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Can anyone explain why the gently caress Beardo McGee keeps packing up my camp?

Squirrel Burger posted:

the bay frame is alright. looks like a cow, i call mine cookies & cream. the marble coat, well, ymmv, i thought it made the horse look like lunch meat

Yeah, I'm gonna go with that. I almost feel tempted to drop 42 gold on that black Arabian, but you have to be rank 70. :sigh:

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Where can I find more coyotes? I’ve been camping for days at both Annesburg and the Big Valley locations and I only manage to get one skin. Do they only come out at night and should I keep using bait? I’m at my witt’s end.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna go with that. I almost feel tempted to drop 42 gold on that black Arabian, but you have to be rank 70. :sigh:

So not worth it. Arabians are super skittish and will buck you off if they even whiff a predator.

Get a Criollo or Breton. Both have rock solid temperments and great stats.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Jandipoo posted:

So not worth it. Arabians are super skittish and will buck you off if they even whiff a predator.

Get a Criollo or Breton. Both have rock solid temperments and great stats.

I bought an Arabian and they look good and ride well but holy lmao. Forget a firefight. I bought a warhorse, I forget which, but he's been awesome so far

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SplitSoul posted:

There are only so many camp spaces and unlike GTA online they exist in the game world so there is no way for them to handle you going from one session to the other, if someone else is in your spot.

Have they ever mentioned private sessions? It's probably the only thing that would get my friends and I to play again.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The problem with this game and guns and loadouts is that it doesn't respect you. You run up to a guy, and throw a punch with fist equipped, one more click and you shoot them. The number of times I've killed someone I was trying to punch out is loving embarrassing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There are only so many camp spaces and unlike GTA online they exist in the game world so there is no way for them to handle you going from one session to the other, if someone else is in your spot.

It seems to move around anyway. So what determines who gets to have a camp?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

SplitSoul posted:

It seems to move around anyway. So what determines who gets to have a camp?

Luck of the draw. It's really fun when you get a solo lobby with your camp up, then the server repopulates and your camp gets packed up to make room for a new person.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s crazy how bad that bug is, and that it still exists

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Noirex posted:

Where can I find more coyotes? I’ve been camping for days at both Annesburg and the Big Valley locations and I only manage to get one skin. Do they only come out at night and should I keep using bait? I’m at my witt’s end.

Coyotes should be all over the place, just like rabbits and foxes. It might be the player count bug that's preventing them from spawning.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I was playing some RDR1 the other night and ran into a pretty funny glitch that caused the game to spawn human NPC models in place of horses. I'm not sure what caused it, but it started after I failed the turret section in the "And You Will Know the Truth" mission a bunch of times. This led to one of the soldiers forgetting to take his horse and having his grandma carry him instead:

It wasn't just in the mission, though, because I reloaded my earlier save and discovered that all the townsfolk were now getting in on the action:

A couple of minutes later, the game decided it'd had enough and locked up. Good old RDR spaghetti code in action.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 24, 2019

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Doc M posted:

I was playing some RDR1 the other night and ran into a pretty funny glitch that caused the game to spawn human NPC models in place of horses. I'm not sure what caused it, but it started after I failed the turret section in the "And You Will Know the Truth" mission a bunch of times. This led to one of the soldiers forgetting to take his horse and having his grandma carry him instead:

It wasn't just in the mission, though, because I reloaded my earlier save and discovered that all the townsfolk were now getting in on the action:

A couple of minutes later, the game decided it'd had enough and locked up. Good old RDR spaghetti code in action.

This was always my favourite glitch. Seeing birds replaced with npc models and creepily flapping through the air never got old, to say nothing of being attacked by the horrific cougar-man...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Elendil004 posted:

The problem with this game and guns and loadouts is that it doesn't respect you. You run up to a guy, and throw a punch with fist equipped, one more click and you shoot them. The number of times I've killed someone I was trying to punch out is loving embarrassing.

You're pressing the wrong button. You should be pressing F if you want to just be punchin' folk

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

It's testament to the overall aesthetic and design of this game that I'm finding the online stuff fairly compelling even despite all the terrible design/gameplay decisions Rockstar has made with it. I wish I could get amnesia'd and play the singleplayer again.
My one wish is that instead of throwing waves of millions of guys at you to shoot every mission, they just sent a handful and made the gunfights even deadlier or something. Mowing down 100 cops/gang members/soldiers every mission started getting old and weirdly unrealistic after all, especially after everything else they had done to make the world feel immersive.

Also, sorry if this posted somewhere obvious and I just missed it, but - Is there a Crew or a Discord or anything specifically for this game? Wouldn't mind some casual groupin' up with like-minded folk every so often.

(Club ID is doddseye, if anyone feels like adding me)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

E to tackle them and then left mouse to slit throats hth

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Dick Jones posted:

Coyotes should be all over the place, just like rabbits and foxes. It might be the player count bug that's preventing them from spawning.

I meant cougars, jfc was I tired. Anyway, I found enough by camping at the valley for 5 nights straight. So glad that challenge is done, that was a pita.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Noirex posted:

I meant cougars, jfc was I tired. Anyway, I found enough by camping at the valley for 5 nights straight. So glad that challenge is done, that was a pita.

i have some bad news for you, dont get too hung up on completing them all if you haven't seen the bullshit in the gambling ones.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Sleekly posted:

i have some bad news for you, dont get too hung up on completing them all if you haven't seen the bullshit in the gambling ones.

No worries, I'm not that crazy. I'm only doing the Hunter ones to get the Legendary Panther pelt which is needed for my Mega Super Bag. I've been enjoying the hunting but the cougar one nearly drove me insane.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Speaking of cougars, they're by far the deadliest thing in online and are way too spongey for how deadly and agile they are. One managed to eat a deadeye headshot from my bolt action with an express round and still kept charging. Running in to more than one is almost a guaranteed death for me

Also, is there a way to mercy kill a wounded animal in online without ruining it's pelt? The knife still seems to degrade it with either left click or F, and sometimes it just makes me do a horrific curbstomp that ruins the pelt and makes me feel like more of an rear end in a top hat. :cry:

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!
Anyone been having issues with textures being blurry? I have mine set to high and some of the foliage and clothing textures look straight out of an N64 game. I did some googling and it seems like some people have similar complaints, but nobody really has an answer other than "set it to ultra". Of course, the game won't let me because it claims that apparently my gtx 1060 doesn't have enough memory...

Kinda makes me regret getting it if the PS4 version I got at launch looks better lol

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Hakarne posted:

Also, is there a way to mercy kill a wounded animal in online without ruining it's pelt? The knife still seems to degrade it with either left click or F, and sometimes it just makes me do a horrific curbstomp that ruins the pelt and makes me feel like more of an rear end in a top hat. :cry:

I haven't found a way. I just wait out their dying groans and take the honor hit which gets erased as soon as I feed my horse. Come to think of it, now I'm wondering how the sound team got all those mortally wounded animal wails.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Noirex posted:

No worries, I'm not that crazy. I'm only doing the Hunter ones to get the Legendary Panther pelt which is needed for my Mega Super Bag. I've been enjoying the hunting but the cougar one nearly drove me insane.
Are you talking about story mode? Because a regular panther will do for that.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Morshu posted:

Anyone been having issues with textures being blurry? I have mine set to high and some of the foliage and clothing textures look straight out of an N64 game. I did some googling and it seems like some people have similar complaints, but nobody really has an answer other than "set it to ultra". Of course, the game won't let me because it claims that apparently my gtx 1060 doesn't have enough memory...

Kinda makes me regret getting it if the PS4 version I got at launch looks better lol

I feel like the textures are bugged. Set it to Ultra and it changes significantly, doesn't give you too much of a performance hit either.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Has anyone used a Tartarus or the like for this game?

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

TescoBag posted:

I feel like the textures are bugged. Set it to Ultra and it changes significantly, doesn't give you too much of a performance hit either.

I can try, but like I mentioned the game apparently thinks my PC can't handle it so the only way I can get it to ultra is if I force it by editing the config files. I can turn every setting to the lowest possible and try to crank textures to ultra and it says I "don't have enough memory"

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Morshu posted:

I can try, but like I mentioned the game apparently thinks my PC can't handle it so the only way I can get it to ultra is if I force it by editing the config files. I can turn every setting to the lowest possible and try to crank textures to ultra and it says I "don't have enough memory"

I have a 1060 3GB and am forcing it through system.xml without issue, just set it to read-only and keep a copy around for when the game updates.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Try switching between Vulkan and DirectX? For some reason Vulkan thinks I have about 400MB less of VRAM than DirectX does :shrug:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question, but I just hit level 10 in Bounty Hunting and I see the hair it unlocked costs gold. If I buy this, change it to something else, then want to use it again, will it cost gold again? Because I'm not spending gold on hair unless that poo poo is free afterward

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question, but I just hit level 10 in Bounty Hunting and I see the hair it unlocked costs gold. If I buy this, change it to something else, then want to use it again, will it cost gold again? Because I'm not spending gold on hair unless that poo poo is free afterward

It's a one-off cost. If you change you can always change back to it for free later, assuming you didnt delete your character or anything. This is the case for gun cosmetics and such too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Found out the hard way that some people roleplay Indians in this game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

drat guys are out here hunting and fishing ??

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Basic Chunnel posted:

drat guys are out here hunting and fishing ??

Possibly that, too. I probably should have specified the movie kind.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

SplitSoul posted:

Found out the hard way that some people roleplay Indians in this game.

Lmao what

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm kind of curious about this story.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does anyone have a link to recommended settings for a GTX 1070? Should I just follow this image?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

it's definitely a thing https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/search?q=native%20character