Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It felt like Adrianna knew what was happening the entire time we see her in the car but she just didn't want to believe it :(

Like Pussy, she was a big loss in the show imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But then she went on to be on the hit NBC comedy Joey!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Solice Kirsk posted:

But then she went on to be on the hit NBC comedy Joey!

There was an interview where she says "So I got killed on HBO, and then went to NBC to commit suicide"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The move to the NBC sitcom was smart though, I mean everyone knew The Sopranos was coming to an end sooner rather than later. Not quite on the same level as Mandy Patinkin leaving Criminal Minds after 2 seasons and then having the show continue on for like a decade+ after that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Even though spinoffs don't have the best track record, getting cast in a major role for a Friends spinoff was a pretty big deal and had it paid-off she would have been making that sweet syndication money for the rest of her life.

I thought she'd only really been in Sons of Anarchy since then, but looking it up she's actually had pretty regular work on a few different shows I'd never heard of before that seem to do okay ratings wise, so I guess she made out okay.... but there's seriously an ongoing cop drama that's been running for 3 seasons starring Jennifer Lopez? What?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was about to post "Yeah, of all the characters they could've chosen, they went with Joey for a spin-off" but I honestly couldn't give a poo poo about following any of them.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but is anyone going to the Sopranos con in Jersey this weekend? I'll post pictures when I get back next week.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its become like "stuck in the middle with you" always reminds me of Reservoir Dogs now and a guy getting his ear cut off. Totally changes the mood of the song!

Its unreal the amount of things I've seen in the Simpsons and found out what the reference was after. In this case, long after.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I was about to post "Yeah, of all the characters they could've chosen, they went with Joey for a spin-off" but I honestly couldn't give a poo poo about following any of them.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but is anyone going to the Sopranos con in Jersey this weekend? I'll post pictures when I get back next week.

They didn't really "choose" Joey, he was the only one who was interested in doing it because he had nothing else going on. The rest either had major careers outside of the show(Aniston, Cox), or they just had no desire to continue playing the same goofy role for the rest of their career. They had a hard enough time signing them all for the last few seasons to begin with, LeBlanc was the only one that wasn't completely sick of playing the character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

codo27 posted:

Its unreal the amount of things I've seen in the Simpsons and found out what the reference was after. In this case, long after.

Yeah, I'd been humming that tune that plays when Maggie and the other kids escape the Ayn Rand babysitting place for ages and didn't know it was from 'The Great Escape' until years later.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Basebf555 posted:

They didn't really "choose" Joey, he was the only one who was interested in doing it because he had nothing else going on. The rest either had major careers outside of the show(Aniston, Cox), or they just had no desire to continue playing the same goofy role for the rest of their career. They had a hard enough time signing them all for the last few seasons to begin with, LeBlanc was the only one that wasn't completely sick of playing the character.

Haha even friends couldn't stand friends

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Remember when Ross suddenly had a black girlfriend for a season or two before going back to Rachel anyway? That was their attempt to deflect the "How are there no black people in New York City?" criticism.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Haha even friends couldn't stand friends

Really what happened is they had to pay the cast so much to sign for the last few seasons, that they were all generationally wealthy by the time it was over. So while Perry and Schwimmer didn't really have much going on, they didn't have to and like a lot of sitcom starts they were able to just ride of into the sunset without any financial worry for the rest of their lives and their children's lives. Kudrow had so much money she hosed off to France and was barely heard from for like 5 years.

I imagine the amount of money they had to offer Leblanc to debase himself was ungodly. The cast of Big Bang Theory were in a similar situation, I mean realistically how much money would you have to offer someone like Cuoco or Parsons to do a spin-off? These are people who already have like 50+ million in the bank with more coming in syndication money, they have zero motivation to do it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If Old Sheldon took place the post apocalyptic Cable universe I'd watch it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Zaphod42 posted:

And there's this shift in the way he talks, he's suddenly calmer when he asks to go for a walk. It seems like he's calmed down. You just about buy it... but you know its too easy. He's up to something.

And yet, the story about him ODing and needing to go to the hospital is the perfect cover, it puts Adriana in panic about Chris and so she isn't thinking about her own safety, she's in a rush and isn't thinking things through, and its too late before she realizes it.

Roller-coaster of emotions.

Yeah, this is spot on. It's weird (probably a testament to how well-done this episode was) because when you look at it on paper, it's super obvious. She says she's an informant, Chris leaves, and then she's taking a ride through a forest alone with a mob captain. But I remember when I watched it originally I was pretty much fooled, partly because you WANT her to get away, and partly because the story they feed her is so good -- you could definitely see Chris trying to commit suicide over something like this. I remember thinking okay, they're gonna have to deal with Chris first and we'll see the fallout from this over the next episode or two... but the whole time in the back of my head there's that voice saying "this is exactly how it would look if they're going to kill her."

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Sometimes this show makes you just remember that these are bad people

Which is like every fifteen seconds now that I think about it, so it makes you remember these are really really really bad people, that was definitely one of those episodes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

"I'll send Sil to pick you up." I mean... it doesn't get any more clear.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
With “Luxury Lounge” it seemed like the writers realized people liked Benny too much and then had him cheat on his pregnant wife with Martina while running part of the credit card scam at Vesuvio’s.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

DarkCrawler posted:

Sometimes this show makes you just remember that these are bad people

When Christopher says that he's taking some jewelry to Milt's Pawn Shop in the season 5 finale it took me a while to realise that he's talking about Adriana's stuff. Disgusting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DarkCrawler posted:

Which is like every fifteen seconds now that I think about it, so it makes you remember these are really really really bad people, that was definitely one of those episodes.

One thing that was always mildly baffling about some people's reactions to the show is thinking it was ever interested in characters being redeemed.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"I'll send Sil to pick you up." I mean... it doesn't get any more clear.

Gandolfini does an amazing job of acting-lying, I'm not sure how else to describe it. We see it many times before in the series, like when Tony was talking to Jackie Jr. about Richie's death.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
"I could finally write my memoirs"

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Gandolfini does an amazing job of acting-lying, I'm not sure how else to describe it. We see it many times before in the series, like when Tony was talking to Jackie Jr. about Richie's death.

Along similar lines, I'm always impressed when good actors can realistically pull off bad acting. It comes up a few times in Chris' acting class scenes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait wait wait wait

Silvio played with Bruce Springsteen!?

How did I not know this

And wow.

I wasn't aware that anyone didn't know this. Steve Van Zandt entire claim to fame is as a member of the E. Street band and the signature head scarf he wore. His SIl character wears that (very obvious) wig because Steven has some sort of really bad scar on his head that he used the scarf to hide. Something like that.

But, yeah, Van Zandt is a famous guitar player/musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUyOZS-PyTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-hVMTTKpxA

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Along similar lines, I'm always impressed when good actors can realistically pull off bad acting. It comes up a few times in Chris' acting class scenes.

I dunno. I've taken some acting classes and there are some horrendous actors out there. I'm sure if Michael Imperioli ever took acting classes he's got a lot of memories to draw on :v:.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What are you doin? You're droppin your fuckin oranges!!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno. I've taken some acting classes and there are some horrendous actors out there. I'm sure if Michael Imperioli ever took acting classes he's got a lot of memories to draw on :v:.

Why do people like that go into acting? I've seen people who make Tobias Funke look like Oliver Reed :/

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m currently at the SopranosCon in Secaucus, New Jersey and it’s loving amazing. A panel with Alan Sepinwall, Matt Zoller Seitz, Kristian Farga, and Federico Castelluccio about the Sopranos Session book and showing scenes from the upcoming My Dinner with Alan movie. Replicas of Melfi’s office and the Bada Bing. Something like sixty cast members. We played poker with the two Jasons. Tony’s Escalade, Patsy’s shot-up car, Johnny Boy’s car, etc. A cannoli eating contest that featured LA Beast winning. And we’re about to go back for the VIP after party where Dominic Chianese will be singing and Alabama 3 will be performing.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 28, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

crispix posted:

Why do people like that go into acting? I've seen people who make Tobias Funke look like Oliver Reed :/

One of the cruelest facts about humanity is that some people just aren't good at what they are truly passionate about. They know why something is good, they can absolutely break it down into its component parts and see how it is supposed to be assembled... and then they just can't do it themselves.

With acting there is the added wrinkle of there being a million stories in the media about the plucky little underdog who kept on believing in themselves when everybody told them they'd never make it, only for them to succeed beyond their wildest dreams.

Dominic Chianese will be singing

You lucky bastard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

If you haven't yet then you should check out Barry on HBO. It's basically this drawn out into two amazing seasons so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Barry is absolutely amazing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I won't lie, even I got a little oddly sniffly when Dominic Chianese was singing some opera at the end of the third season. Man has a set of pipes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

And we’re about to go back for the VIP after party where Dominic Chianese will be singing

Bring some tissues.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dawgstar posted:

I won't lie, even I got a little oddly sniffly when Dominic Chianese was singing some opera at the end of the third season. Man has a set of pipes.

He did five songs and you would never know that the man is eighty-eight years old.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

Excitement? Fulfillment? It's probably not unlike having the childhood dream of being an astronaut except that most people realize pretty early on that they lack the aptitude to do that. It's a lot easier to delude yourself as an actor probably.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We just finished eating breakfast with Federico Castellucio and his wife Yvonne Maria Schäfer.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Can I ask here in spoiler tags about something that hasn't happened yet?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Knock yourself out :)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

We just finished eating breakfast with Federico Castellucio and his wife Yvonne Maria Schäfer.

This is awesome. If you have any pics it would be awesome to see some.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

So, in my rewatch I just got up to Tony coming out of his coma. I'm not amazing at picking out individual American accents, but it seems to me like when he's in the coma-dream he is using a different accent than his regular one. Am I right? I'm assuming this is playing into his whole losing himself thing that's going on throughout that dream.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So, in my rewatch I just got up to Tony coming out of his coma. I'm not amazing at picking out individual American accents, but it seems to me like when he's in the coma-dream he is using a different accent than his regular one. Am I right? I'm assuming this is playing into his whole losing himself thing that's going on throughout that dream.

Yep, Gandolfini drops the accent for those scenes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah he pronounces all his Rs and THes and is generally less nasal.

While we're on this topic, it's interesting how much Tony's accent developed over the run of the show. In the pilot he was much closer to Kevin Finnerty accent than what Tony's had become by season 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Finnerty would be pretty close to natural James wouldn't it? Its been a few years

Just watched Christopher last night. About two thirds of the way through, gf speaks up "The episode is named Christopher and nothing to do with him has even happened yet!!". :negative: In her defense, after the revelations in the previous episode, cant blame her for being focused on that storyline. Why did I remember Ade and FBI chick hooking up?