Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You could have a pet theory that he was carrying himself for five chapters, then the pods got switched to Lou :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's a testament to the game that even after playing for more than 150 hours, I still love repairing and upgrading other players' structures and making deliveries.

Endgame spoilers:

While I wouldn't necessarily want a sequel to Death Stranding, I think DLC set on the moon would be amazing. So many characters talk about a yearning to leave Earth and explore space, but obviously chiral clouds and timefall make that impossible. But since Sam seems to have stopped the timefall maybe it's possible now. The core gameplay and design is perfectly suited to exploring barren planets or moons. Imagine Death Stranding traversal and hazard management but with low gravity, oxygen management, etc. It would own.

I can't believe that there weren't a total of 50 outposts / stars. Talk about a missed opportunity.. Have the DLC set in Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and the moon.

Sam, bring Fragile 10k cryptobiotes to warp the the moon!

veni veni veni posted:

So I just hit Chapter 15 and called it a night. Is there still more actual game or is CH 15 just what they are calling the post game?

Ch15 is postgame.

Steve Yun posted:

How does that all fit? Do you get a smaller battery? Bigger backpack?

Turn the battery and pouch sideways :ssh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 25, 2019

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Turn the backpack and pouch sideways :ssh:

get the gently caress outta here

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I know how petty this is, but it made me mildly miffed to go back to earlier areas and find that actually good, well-placed structures I've made have no likes. I mean, it's ultimately whatever, but still. Those were good bridges and generators, etc.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

just finished it, one question whats the significance of that last shot? why didn’t the rain affect sam or louise? does that mean the timefall stopped? if so, why?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I stopped watching trailers or gameplay for this thing after the short higgs trailer because I knew I would enjoy it no matter what as a giant mark for MGS, and tonight I finished the drat thing. Kojima now, Kojima tomorrow, Kojima forever. Let this fucker make any goddamn thing he wants until he dies. GOTY.

:patriot:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Roach Warehouse posted:

I’m kind of obsessed with (post-Higgs dialogue) “Mario and Princess ‘Beach.’” whose idea was that and how did they get it approved?

Yes. This and ch15 "before you i was like any other Cliff" will live in gaming infamy forever.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I am in the epilogue kind of thing, after the beach.

For how silly about 50%-65% of this game can be, it gets surprisingly powerful. I really didn't see this kind of emotional weight coming at all.

I'm so impressed by this game. On paper it doesn't seem like it should work at all, but in execution it's absolutely amazing. So good.

The end of MGS4 is the same way.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mandrel posted:

just finished it, one question whats the significance of that last shot? why didn’t the rain affect sam or louise? does that mean the timefall stopped? if so, why?

The effects of the Death Stranding are no longer in effect. Timefall is just regular rain now and there are no BTs (notice how there were no BTs as you got closer to the incinerator which are usually infested with them?). The entire ending sequence of Sam convincing Amelie was to delay the Last Stranding. The idea is that both these phenomena stem from the Extinction Entity.

Edit: I believe there's an in-game email that explains the science behind the Timefall and due to being no BT's the source is more or less cut off

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 25, 2019

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
I've been killing every BT I come across by intentionally getting grabbed and then grenading the catcher, I'm drowning in chiral crystals. Can BTs be killed any other way, without getting caught, which also results in the area being clear (and sunny) for a while?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sloppy portmanteau posted:

I've been killing every BT I come across by intentionally getting grabbed and then grenading the catcher, I'm drowning in chiral crystals. Can BTs be killed any other way, without getting caught, which also results in the area being clear (and sunny) for a while?

Someone in the thread a while back said that if you clean out the Gazers enough eventually they'll pack up and leave like if you killed the Catcher.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Quinton posted:

1x Utility Pouch
1x Battery
1x Large Grenade Pouch
2x Small Grenade Pouch
1x Cover
1x Weather Charm

Steve Yun posted:

How does that all fit? Do you get a smaller battery? Bigger backpack?

Just rotated some of the bits so they fit...

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The effects of the Death Stranding are no longer in effect. Timefall is just regular rain now and there are no BTs (notice how there were no BTs as you got closer to the incinerator which are usually infested with them?). The entire ending sequence of Sam convincing Amelie was to delay the Last Stranding. The idea is that both these phenomena stem from the Extinction Entity.

Edit: I believe there's an in-game email that explains the science behind the Timefall and due to being no BT's the source is more or less cut off

It doesn't make sense to go to the incinerator if BB can't become a BT but okay

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Modest Mao posted:

It doesn't make sense to go to the incinerator if BB can't become a BT but okay

It makes sense in the context that Deadman knew Sam wanted to leave and that was his out. Why else would he temporarily disable his cufflink? Also it's thematic, ending the game how the story started.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I know how petty this is, but it made me mildly miffed to go back to earlier areas and find that actually good, well-placed structures I've made have no likes. I mean, it's ultimately whatever, but still. Those were good bridges and generators, etc.

I don't think it would have been so bad if it weren't for the fact that you'll just see a bridge on open land or a generator in the middle of nowhere that was obviously just set up after someone ran out of battery suddenly and they have like 4k likes.

It's the contrast that makes it annoying.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I don't think it would have been so bad if it weren't for the fact that you'll just see a bridge on open land or a generator in the middle of nowhere that was obviously just set up after someone ran out of battery suddenly and they have like 4k likes.

It's the contrast that makes it annoying.

Generators setup in the middle of nowhere are the best though, I'm never unhappy to see one unlike useless postboxes and bridges.

The highest rated structure I've seen was a zipline next to Heartman that over 200K likes I think? Imo that thing was fairly useless given it's placement next to a huge rock but ok. My highest rated is a lvl 3 20K likes saferoom I setup at equal distance between the collector/south distro/weather station/cosplayer, close by the road with a full setup of timefall shelter, zipline access to go up to weather station/roboticist and a generator. The whole thing nets me thousands of likes every time I rest, I think it's quite useful as a base of operations to Ch.3/5 players pushing south.

My second best is a max range couple of lvl3 ziplines north of the spiritualist that are basically a single vertical drop to waystation north. That ride is some wild vertigo inducing poo poo. (I died more than I care to admit to set it up but it was sooo worth it)

I setup a new one yesterday that I hope becomes a hit, atop the highest peak near the geologist. Certainly took a lot of effort to put it up there.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I think it must also depend on whether your stuff is shared or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of popularity factor at play, but that it's nowhere near balanced.

So maybe most players just work around a dodgily placed construction instead of removing and replacing it.

As a result there's confirmation bias as the game keeps thinking its popular enough to be shared while your better placed structure only gets shared with one other guy. So you never get enough likes to boost its popularity enough for it to get more likes.

It seems like what it grabs when you link the chiral network is fixed yeah? Other than vehicles I've not really seen many other things show up in a post synched area.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

For those of you who’ve finished the game:

What episode/point in the game does the 3 hour cutscene start? I’m at episode 8 at the moment.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The game basically is mostly all movie after episode eleven with
few spots to save untill the end so get ready.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Kin posted:

I think it must also depend on whether your stuff is shared or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of popularity factor at play, but that it's nowhere near balanced.

So maybe most players just work around a dodgily placed construction instead of removing and replacing it.

As a result there's confirmation bias as the game keeps thinking its popular enough to be shared while your better placed structure only gets shared with one other guy. So you never get enough likes to boost its popularity enough for it to get more likes.

It seems like what it grabs when you link the chiral network is fixed yeah? Other than vehicles I've not really seen many other things show up in a post synched area.

There's definitely some inertia going on where less than optimal structures still get shared because they were put there early on. That's especially true for ziplines, bridges and generators I think. You can remove those from your game (from the map, you don't even need to walk) and it will absolutely replace them with other stuff over time. For some reason people love to plop down bridges next to mountain knot in the tar pit so I keep removing them and without fail another one will pop after a while. It's a bit sad because the environments are very pretty when they're not cluttered with useless junk but I don't wanna play offline so... :shrug: At least you can turn signs off.

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Just had my first crash in 120+ hours of total playtime, and I didn't even realize that I haven't encountered any real bugs or glitches at all during all this time, at least none I can recall.

Pretty rock solid, all things considered.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

had the game crash or get hung up in menus forever a couple of times, and this

I deployed and loaded it up from the menu, it appeared on top of my truck and stayed there when I moved the truck

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 25, 2019

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Roman posted:

ziplines are amazing and when you find them in the world it's a lifesaver. I just did the mountaineer quest and there was a line going up already. When I came back down I put two more lines up and with the network I already completed back by Mountain Knot I zoomed all the way to the doctor and back with barely any walking.

If upgrading them let you have a song playing while on the line I would probably cover the entire world in zips and not use anything else. I would put a different song on each route. :allears:

Misc fact: right as I finished the zip in the video a pair of Chiral Boots someone donated in a postbox in the first area finally gave out. :patriot:

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

lets hang out posted:

had the game crash or get hung up in menus forever a couple of times, and this

I deployed and loaded it up from the menu, it appeared on top of my truck and stayed there when I moved the truck

I had a trike get stranded on top of a timefall shelter since they automatically bury into the ground when the catcher appears, and rise back up after you defeat it. I couldn't get it back down nor start another fight since the BTs were gone, so I was pretty glad there was nothing important on it. Had to chuckle when it happened.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I had one loading hitch while in the world in my whole playthrough. I assume I must have done a 180 on the edge of a loading boundary. Otherwise the game was amazingly issue-free

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lanth posted:

I had a trike get stranded on top of a timefall shelter since they automatically bury into the ground when the catcher appears, and rise back up after you defeat it. I couldn't get it back down nor start another fight since the BTs were gone, so I was pretty glad there was nothing important on it. Had to chuckle when it happened.

It wont let you put a ladder up on a shelter?

I mean it would make sense under "no overlapsies" logic but on the other hand the game gives you a lot of freedom otherwise.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
highest rated structure in my game was a safehouse placed on that forking path leading up to Mountain Knot, just outside the terrorist camp. probably has around 250k likes by now

and understandably so, that thing was a godsend before i got my roads and ziplines set up in the region

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
DIE HARDMAN

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The end of MGS4 is the same way.

Tbh, I barely remember MGS4. I bought a PS3 just for it back in the day, but I don't think my dumbass teenage self paid much attention to its narrative at all

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Y'all, the stabilizer loving owns and it is totally justifiable that it takes up the whole backpack customization area, you should check it out if you haven't. For one, it comes with its own power supply which adds on to the battery of whatever skeleton you're using and I think is about the size of a level 2 battery, and the stabilizer itself barely uses any power when it's running. It stabilizes you pretty much automatically, using it and all-terrain or speed skeleton you can basically just sprint everywhere (except down real steep slopes) and not have to hold on to your load unless you're completely stacked up. It also reduces the damage your cargo takes if you DO lose your balance, which is a benefit you can't get anywhere else. I haven't felt any desire to swap it out since I started using it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Built my zipline network over the weekend. Good lord those mountains are a loving slog, especially when I don't have my BB. Oddly enough it's actually LESS stressful going through a BT area without him, no constant odradek clicking to keep me on my nerves. I have ziplines up behind Mountain Knot that go all the way to the Mountaineer, the Roboticist, and then all the way across the mountains to the Weather Station and across the river to the Cosplayer so I can get back to the other half of the map. It's still a huge hassle to get to the Distribution Center and Waystation north of Mountain Knot, but hopefully I won't have much reason to go up there any more. It really makes me want to see what's going on under the hood with the structures I see from other people. I only ever come across a single zipline at a time, they probably figured it would be too much of a hack if you just loaded in someone else's entire zipline network without having to do any of the work yourself. But still, I seem to get really dumb ziplines. There are a couple that I managed to work into my own network, but I've found quite a few ziplines now that are just in an OBVIOUSLY stupid place, so I have to erect my own zipline right next to a useless online one. Like, why didn't you move them over ten feet and place them on this ledge so you could see the top AND bottom of the mountain? There's one behind the Roboticist that can link into the obvious zipline spots in front, but is set like five feet too far back from the edge to be usable for the path down to the Weather Station.

How much game do I have left if I just beat Chapter 6? Just arrived at the Mads battle, but had to go to bed last night. And does the game ease up any from here? I was getting a little frustrated with the constant slog through the snow on the way up to the Spiritualist, really hoping for some less aggravating terrain once I get back from Madsville. Is there any reason to add her to the zipline network, btw? Getting to her was the worst of all the mountain preppers so far, but the way she's situated I don't see any reason to ever go back there. I'm not gonna be able to put the time in to 100% this game, the only backtracking I'm considering is to go get the unlocks from Conan and the Collector (which I actually tried doing last night, until I realized holy poo poo, I still don't have my BB back! Chapter 6 is NOT the best time to think about filling in some of those missing gear upgrades.) Ziplines DID make it really easy to get the level 3 AT skeleton from the Roboticist, though. That girl's thirsty.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 25, 2019

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Getting to her was the worst of all the mountain preppers so far

You're going to love Ch8. :getin:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You're about halfway I'd say, depending on how much more random deliveries you want to do.

I recommend building up to the spot you mentioned if you plan to 5-star everyone. There's another prepper even further up from them that can be a real pain to reach. You'll get some very useful tools from folks you're going to meet very soon that make the mountains much more manageable.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lanth posted:

Just had my first crash in 120+ hours of total playtime, and I didn't even realize that I haven't encountered any real bugs or glitches at all during all this time, at least none I can recall.

Pretty rock solid, all things considered.

The polish on this game is pretty awesome, yeah. The UI is a bit of a mess, but the game itself is very, very solid.

What I also find funny (I'll put it into spoilers, but it's actually a super weak spoiler thingy):

The announcement trailer actually shows that the whole story seemed to have been finished three years ago, and the scenes captured there also seem to indicate that mocap was done and cutscenes fully produced back then. Even the E3 trailers in the years afterwards - while mostly sticking to stuff from the first two hours - showed scenes from the endgame, which are in the final game, completely unchanged. I find that rather impressive. Kojima and his crew seem to have the actual production under very good control.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I finished all the roads yesterday. I find that whatever system controls how many likes you receive from roads to be incredibly confusing. I built the string of roads between Craftsman and Distribution Center North of Mountain Knot and likes were pouring in. I must have been getting 8-10k every "update" whatever that interval is.

But the tougher string of roads, the set between Mountain Knot proper and the Distribution Center? I don't think I got more than 100 likes from other players using it.

Still, got that done. And I don't regret doing it at all. It's so loving incredibly useful to be able to just drive at full speed from Lake Knot all the way to Mountain with absurd amounts of cargo.

Lastly - gently caress Novelist's Son forever and gently caress this system that makes you wait to finish a prepper's rep until they send you an e-mail. That system hasn't really bothered me yet, but the Novelist's Son has had like 3 or 4 breakpoints right now. Last night it stopped at like 90% of the last star and made me wait for another email.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I wonder if the road system is if you have the road completed in your own game or have contributed at all to them at all.

I would really like to know how the system works.

On the novelists son I have him maxed out got a couple of missions by the nearby distribution centre which gave me loads of likes.

I am struggling on the first prepper at the moment just got him to one star

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

VoLaTiLe posted:

I am struggling on the first prepper at the moment just got him to one star

First prepper has like 3 or 4 emails to read. deliver one thing, rest, read, then deliver one more, rest read etc

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

VoLaTiLe posted:

On the novelists son I have him maxed out got a couple of missions by the nearby distribution centre which gave me loads of likes.

Yeah, there are 3 repeatable missions from the Distro Center. I've done them three times now. The problem for me has been that his rep has hit three or four break points now. So I have to keep going back.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

tuo posted:

The polish on this game is pretty awesome, yeah. The UI is a bit of a mess, but the game itself is very, very solid.

What I also find funny (I'll put it into spoilers, but it's actually a super weak spoiler thingy):

The announcement trailer actually shows that the whole story seemed to have been finished three years ago, and the scenes captured there also seem to indicate that mocap was done and cutscenes fully produced back then. Even the E3 trailers in the years afterwards - while mostly sticking to stuff from the first two hours - showed scenes from the endgame, which are in the final game, completely unchanged. I find that rather impressive. Kojima and his crew seem to have the actual production under very good control.

kind of throws a wrench in the whole Konami side of the story of the MGS5 debacle, that they had to take action because Kojima was just too unfocused and a bad producer and the game never would have been finished and they had to be the adults in the room

maybe it turns out the problem really was loving Konami all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

My theory based on the fact I was getting "Someone used a road you rebuilt" messages before any roads were finished in my own game is that the road progress is shared by a selection of players, but it's not a coherent group.

Like you might be connected to Players A, B, C and D. But then Player A is connected to you, E, F, G.

So in Player A's game the roads are finished and they personally contributed 25% of the materials. Meanwhile BCD have contributed 10% of material each. Leaving the roads in your game at 55%, not counting your own contribution, even though you're connected to someone else who has fully built ones.