Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

wolrah posted:

Well that's the reason I wasn't sure about what I've seen so far in DIYs, her car is a second-gen Matrix which has discs in the back, but all the DIYs have been for first-gen Matrix/Vibe or similar Corollas with drums.

It doesn't look like it should be significantly different aside from the obvious, but it's cold out so I want to be as prepared as I can be if I choose to take this on.

In that case, you'll need to remove the caliper and caliper bracket first, but still not set the parking brake (it'll be a drum-in-hat setup). Otherwise it should be pretty similar. Hopefully you can wiggle the hub/bearing out without disassembling the parking brake. It'll still have the threaded holes to pop the disc off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nyyen posted:

Thanks for this. I'll make sure to do this. I honestly had missed when you said it before so would have done it wrong.

With your setup and the parts you are replacing so far, the only one this is critical for is the axle side track bar bushing. Everything else you are replacing, including the other end of the track bar, is a tapered fit ball joint, so no worries about binding those up.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

STR posted:

In that case, you'll need to remove the caliper and caliper bracket first, but still not set the parking brake (it'll be a drum-in-hat setup). Otherwise it should be pretty similar. Hopefully you can wiggle the hub/bearing out without disassembling the parking brake. It'll still have the threaded holes to pop the disc off.
It is actually the caliper-based parking brake requiring that hateful loving twist tool, so good and bad. I have definitely wrecked a drum-in-hat setup once before when I forgot to release the parking brake before hammering the rotor off...

Anyways being an automatic the parking brake has basically never been used other than when I was recalibrating it after replacing the rear pads, so remembering not to set it shouldn't be an issue either way.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ah, gotcha. I'm used to most Toyotas using the drum in hat setup.

The setup you have isn't bad, it's just annoying having to twist the piston back in when you do a brake job. That said, I have an automatic, and still use the parking brake every time. I think more because I've driven manual for most of my life. I also drive GF's Matrix occasionally, which is manual (it's the super base model, the only options are floor mats and a cargo net.. it doesn't even have a rear wiper), so I try to stay in the habit of using it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

STR posted:

That said, I have an automatic, and still use the parking brake every time. I think more because I've driven manual for most of my life. I also drive GF's Matrix occasionally, which is manual (it's the super base model, the only options are floor mats and a cargo net.. it doesn't even have a rear wiper), so I try to stay in the habit of using it.
I've owned two vehicles with automatic transmissions and attempted to use the parking brake on both of them. Neither lasted more than a month before the cable snapped because none of the previous owners had ever used it. As a result I generally don't use it in other people's automatic cars unless I know they use it because I don't want to have to explain to them why their car broke in my hands.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Doesn't really go in any other thread, but :wtf: happened here? Both bulbs replaced a few weeks ago (one was burned out when I got the car). Both still light up, but for obvious reasons, one is super dim now. They're both Sylvania 194LL from the same blister pack.

There's a bit of corrosion on the plug for the bulb that silvered itself, but I don't think the corrosion could have heated the bulb up enough to do THAT (especially since the socket didn't melt). I threw in some old 194 LEDs I had sitting around, and had trouble getting the one in that socket to light reliably until I took a file to the contacts in the plug.

Getting reaaaaaaaaal tired of being pulled over for lights out on this car. First it was a plate light, then it was a combination brake/parking light (which seems to have fixed itself after I reseated the bulb :iiam:), then it was the same loving plate light again (too dim to actually emit light unless you looked right at the housing). Note: the car has 2 plate lights, TX requires one, but the cops in my suburb are bored.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

wolrah posted:

It is actually the caliper-based parking brake requiring that hateful loving twist tool, so good and bad. I have definitely wrecked a drum-in-hat setup once before when I forgot to release the parking brake before hammering the rotor off...

Anyways being an automatic the parking brake has basically never been used other than when I was recalibrating it after replacing the rear pads, so remembering not to set it shouldn't be an issue either way.

I've taken to grabbing the master brake kit from Advance when doing those. Proper tools make that job so much easier. If any of my cars had them I might buy one.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

2008 Saturn vue with 130k miles has a problem with its rear brake light.

I noticed a week ago that the drivers side brake light was out. I bought a pair of replacement lights, one for each side, and replaced them both, figuring that if the drivers side was out, it wouldn’t be long until the passenger side went.

Today someone pulled up to me and side the drivers side was still out. Note: I didn’t bother checking when I replaced the bulb to see if it worked-whoops.

Now, could this be a fuse problem? The way I’m reading online is that the fuse usually controls both lights, so I’m wondering if it’s a wiring issue or something else.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If it uses a 3175 (dual filament combination tail/brake/signal bulb) its possible you have the base inserted backwards.

While the base will engage in both directions, sometimes the contacts in the socket don't line up unless you insert the bulb one way instead of the other.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Geoj posted:

If it uses a 3175 (dual filament combination tail/brake/signal bulb) its possible you have the base inserted backwards.

While the base will engage in both directions, sometimes the contacts in the socket don't line up unless you insert the bulb one way instead of the other.

It uses 3157LL

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Flipping the bulb around 180* is worth a shot.

If that doesn't fix it, get a volt meter and see if you're getting 12-14v at the socket. Its also possible you got a defective bulb.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Couple of dumb questions:

Is a dashboard something you can snag at a Pick n' Pull? And is replacing a dashboard within the realm of a beginner's job?

My folks have a 2011 Sonata with a dashboard that has terrible cracking (seems common for the model). I'd like to try and replace it over the holidays if possible, and replace their blown out speakers at the same time.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Torque says 134 HP @ ~4500 rpm, specs say 209 HP @ 5000 rpm
0-60mph = 11.5s, specs 8.6s

I forgot to add in ~200 lbs of driver plus random stuff, thats about 5%

Google says automatic transmission is 86% on the low end

134 * 1.05 / .86 = 163 HP which seems pretty low

I haven't used torque is awhile and I haven't do any kind of calibration beyond entering vehicle stats. Am I thinking about this right? How do I go about finding where the power leaked out?

e: I think the weight I used also doesn't include 3rd row seating, premium sound, nav, and a few other things that probably add up to a 100-200 lbs

taqueso fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 24, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hughmoris posted:

Is a dashboard something you can snag at a Pick n' Pull? And is replacing a dashboard within the realm of a beginner's job?

My folks have a 2011 Sonata with a dashboard that has terrible cracking (seems common for the model). I'd like to try and replace it over the holidays if possible, and replace their blown out speakers at the same time.

Yanking a dash is about one of the most worst car jobs ever.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 24, 2019

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hughmoris posted:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yanking a dash is about one of the most car jobs ever.

Seconding.

Here's a video for a 2012 Sonata: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWrIT-TVXgQ

If your parent's crash pad is cracked, chances are, most of the ones you will find at a pick & pull will also be, or will wait until you get the thing practically out before it decides to crack. It's worth a look, even so, since replacements from Hyundai run about $1200.00

It's a long job, labor-intensive; you may wish to write down the order of removal so that you don't miss anything on reassembly.

I've done it to replace a heater core. I learned after that experience that the heater core/HVAC system seems to be the very first element installed on the assembly line.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 24, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nwin posted:

2008 Saturn vue with 130k miles has a problem with its rear brake light.

I noticed a week ago that the drivers side brake light was out. I bought a pair of replacement lights, one for each side, and replaced them both, figuring that if the drivers side was out, it wouldn’t be long until the passenger side went.

Today someone pulled up to me and side the drivers side was still out. Note: I didn’t bother checking when I replaced the bulb to see if it worked-whoops.

Now, could this be a fuse problem? The way I’m reading online is that the fuse usually controls both lights, so I’m wondering if it’s a wiring issue or something else.

Not a fuse. Swap the bulbs side to side (after trying flipping it around 180 degrees) and have a helper watch the bulbs when you step on the brakes (or have it backed up near something where you can tell if the light is working). Also check to see if they come on with the parking lights. And this may not be something you'd think of, but try the brake light both with the parking lights off and the parking lights on. If the socket (or bulb) has lost a ground, then one or the other will work (slightly dimmer than normal), but go off completely when you step on the brake with the lights on.

If you get a parking light working, with a bulb that goes completely off when you step on the brakes, and a working brake light if the parking lights are off, you've lost the ground to that socket. If the parking light only works, period, then you got a bad bulb (this is why you try swapping side to side) or you've lost a connection to the brighter filament in that socket.

It's most likely the bulb or the socket; you can usually clean up the contacts in the socket with a little sandpaper, and bend then closed a little with needle nose pliers. If that doesn't work, use a multimeter in DC mode to check the socket for power with someone sitting on the brake, also check while parking lights on are (both on the side that the bulb goes into, and on the back side where the wires enter - you'll see the crimped on connectors). You have 3 wires - 1 is ground, 1 is parking, 1 is brake.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I've got a 95 Buick Roadmaster sedan. Body on frame, RWD, pretty classic GM suspension.

It has the soft stock suspension. If I install stiffer springs and shocks in the rear is this going to have an adverse effect on handling?

I'm planning on rebuilding the front suspension as well, but the rear is relatively simple and I could get that done now while I'm getting things together for the front.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'd try to do the front and rear at the same time, that way the handling is a lot more predictable. Also, you only have to get it aligned once that way.

Expect it to be firmer and a bit more bouncy, even if you were going with stock suspension. Going with new suspension always makes you realize just how worn out your existing springs and shocks/struts were.

If you go ahead and do the rear first anyway, I'd expect the back to try to skip over bumps when you're going around curves or turns a bit easier, but probably feel a bit more planted so long as you're not going with super stiff springs. I plan to do the rear first on my car as well (but more because it's dragging its got saggy rear end bad enough to affect rear wheel camber), though I plan to go with the cheapest poo poo possible just to restore ride height and (hopefully) get rid of it bottoming out on speed bumps.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

PainterofCrap posted:

Seconding.

Here's a video for a 2012 Sonata: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWrIT-TVXgQ

If your parent's crash pad is cracked, chances are, most of the ones you will find at a pick & pull will also be, or will wait until you get the thing practically out before it decides to crack. It's worth a look, even so, since replacements from Hyundai run about $1200.00

It's a long job, labor-intensive; you may wish to write down the order of removal so that you don't miss anything on reassembly.

I've done it to replace a heater core. I learned after that experience that the heater core/HVAC system seems to be the very first element installed on the assembly line.

Holy canoli, that looks busy. They might have to just deal with the cosmetic eyesore.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hughmoris posted:

Holy canoli, that looks busy. They might have to just deal with the cosmetic eyesore.

Yeah, we aren't joking. Usually step one on getting a random dash out is one line.

It will say:

1) Remove most of frontal interior.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I thought it was more "Step 1: remove car from dash"

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I have a stinger GT2 , AWD

The tires are different from the front to the rear, size wise.

Does rotating them left to right do anything. Is it worth it ?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I would, yes. Assuming they're not directional, of course.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Most of the extended life you get out of tire rotation is moving tires back and forth from the driven wheels.

Won't hurt, but assuming your alignment is good its not going to massively extend the life of the tires. One of the drawbacks of running wider tires on the rear wheels.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Related to my last post, can anyone recommend a good general book about ICE design, performance, and tuning? I'm thinking something engine agnostic that I can read to get some base knowledge on everything, maybe a textbook.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

taqueso posted:

Related to my last post, can anyone recommend a good general book about ICE design, performance, and tuning? I'm thinking something engine agnostic that I can read to get some base knowledge on everything, maybe a textbook.

As someone who learned everything he knows through experience, old greybeards, and the internet, I too would be interested in something like this. Would be interesting to see how many false concepts I've taken for granted over the years.

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Gouged a chunk off one of the panels of my 2018 Hyundai Ioniq.

Can see some exposed metal there. I assume there was a layer of plastic or fiberglass under the paint that got chipped away

Was trying to avoid filing a claim as we already had one within the last year and I'm thinking about fixing it myself. I was looking at the various dent repair kits in Autozone and watching the videos for them and it doesn't seem too crazy... Is this doable or is it just going to be a huge mess? Is there any specific product that would be best for this type of thing?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ouch that looks pretty nasty. What's the diameter of the area missing paint? I can't imagine being right on top of that corner is going to make it any easier.

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
That widest point is maybe 1.5 to 2 inches. Yeah... I'm thinking if I do it it'll definitely not look like new, but maybe just getting it to not super noticeable would be good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's gonna have to get filled in with Bondo, sanded down and repainted.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spankmeister posted:

It’s on a body line, it’s going to be impossible for a beginner to recreate that line.

op: that’s either replace it if you’re doing it yourself, or an insurance claim. They may even replace it too depending on the cost of a replacement fender.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

unnoticed posted:

Gouged a chunk off one of the panels of my 2018 Hyundai Ioniq.

Can see some exposed metal there. I assume there was a layer of plastic or fiberglass under the paint that got chipped away

Was trying to avoid filing a claim as we already had one within the last year and I'm thinking about fixing it myself. I was looking at the various dent repair kits in Autozone and watching the videos for them and it doesn't seem too crazy... Is this doable or is it just going to be a huge mess? Is there any specific product that would be best for this type of thing?

Don't forget you can just go to a body shop and get a quote from them and pay out of pocket. Avoids a claim, but likely to be more expensive than your deductible.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Don't forget you can just go to a body shop and get a quote from them and pay out of pocket. Avoids a claim, but likely to be more expensive than your deductible.

Yeah, I did that once when I was a dumbass and backed into something and broke a taillight.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

unnoticed posted:

2018 Hyundai Ioniq.]

I don’t know the car all that well, is that a fender or a quarter panel?

If it’s a fender, there are sellers on eBay and elsewhere that sell painted body panels. It’s likely that won’t match 100% in direct sunlight at some angles, but everything bolts up. Just make sure you do a little research and figure out which plastic clips and poo poo you’ll need, because there’s basically zero chance you won’t break at least a few of them.

If it’s a quarter, and part of the unibody, then definitely don’t take this lightly- it might be worth farming out to get it done well enough that you won’t have premature corrosion issues down the road.

Did you buy the car used? That looks suspiciously like bondo under the paint.

E: I’m not sure how DIY you’re feeling about this, adjust accordingly.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

glyph posted:

I don’t know the car all that well, is that a fender or a quarter panel?

If it’s a fender, there are sellers on eBay and elsewhere that sell painted body panels. It’s likely that won’t match 100% in direct sunlight at some angles, but everything bolts up. Just make sure you do a little research and figure out which plastic clips and poo poo you’ll need, because there’s basically zero chance you won’t break at least a few of them.

If it’s a quarter, and part of the unibody, then definitely don’t take this lightly- it might be worth farming out to get it done well enough that you won’t have premature corrosion issues down the road.

Did you buy the car used? That looks suspiciously like bondo under the paint.

E: I’m not sure how DIY you’re feeling about this, adjust accordingly.

It's definitely the fender. The amber turn signal in the corner was my tip-off. Really would be curious to know why there's body filler on that fender.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

07 Crown Vic, door hinges groan pretty bad lately. Are they at all replaceable, or is that a whole-door swap kinda job? e: or maybe they just need greasing with something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Again.

It was obviously already hit and repaired in the past.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fender Anarchist posted:

07 Crown Vic, door hinges groan pretty bad lately. Are they at all replaceable, or is that a whole-door swap kinda job? e: or maybe they just need greasing with something?

Lithium grease in a spray can. Spray them and close/open the door a few times to work it in. If it's still groaning, apply more and repeat.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I own a 2018 ioniq, they were released in 2017 and didn't sell in great numbers so finding a painted panel is unlikely. Getting a quote from a body shop may be worth doing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Autoexec.bat posted:

I own a 2018 ioniq, they were released in 2017 and didn't sell in great numbers so finding a painted panel is unlikely. Getting a quote from a body shop may be worth doing though.

I meant that there are vendors that will paint an aftermarket fender.