Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So far I only have access to only 3 depth levels, how do I get to unlock more levels? I read you have to get quests from Shang but when I talk to him nothing really happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There are a bunch of maps to be found throughout the game that you can hand in to the paladin-looking guy, but of course you already knew that much. There are twelve in total and they're all found in various overworld areas. Just keep progressing, you'll pick them up eventually.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Some maps are found lying around (and more than one of those are in the disguised-loading-screen hallways between zones), and others come from NPC sidequests, which in turn unlock as you progress through the plot. Note that the ones from sidequests have a sidequest objective within the specific map they give you: be sure to visit those maps after unlocking them to do that objective, so you don't stall the sidequest chain.

It's not a bad idea to do a round of teleporting to each zone you can reach, every time you beat a boss. Look on your map for the pop-up indicator showing that there's an NPC with a sidequest (or a sidequest objective) in a zone, and if there is, track them down. Shang specifically requires you to use the Talk option to do his quests, but every other sidequest NPC will progress just by interacting with them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You've probably already stalled the quest chains, it's easy to do and stupid. I used a guide near the end of the game to clean up map collection. One of the weaker parts of the game tbh.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Game is on sale and definitely sets off my pleasure receptors for Dark Souls and anime. Weirdly enough, the hardest hump for me to get over on buying it is how close to Anor Londo that one level looks. I mean, it's real bad. Not sure why that's such a stopper for me, but it really bums me out.

...is it at least short and not full of assholes with greatbows?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's very long but no bows. Plenty of teleporting assholes.

It's not much like Anor Londo though. Much more mazelike.

It's probably a lot of people's least favorite area in the game. Shouldn't be enough to deter you from getting it though, it's a good game.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Other than sharing an inspiration with the Milan Cathedral, the two areas play nothing alike, and honestly, are only superficially similar.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm the weirdo who likes the cathedral, though it went a little long even for me

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i liked the cathedral also, except for the invasions. the winding/one way paths kinda made it feel like a place that teleporting assholes would live

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Sophism posted:

Other than sharing an inspiration with the Milan Cathedral, the two areas play nothing alike, and honestly, are only superficially similar.

I mean, the superficiality goes more than skin deep. It's not just the structure; it's the lighting and some of the other choices they made in presenting the level geography that made it feel more inspired by Anor Londo specifically than Milan generally, imo.

That said, I'll likely get over the hump and get it anyway. It's one of those imperfect games to love.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm the weirdo who likes the cathedral, though it went a little long even for me

I like it too but I'm not gonna lie to the guy that it's generally beloved

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

For me on the other hand that cathedral of scared blood was the most annoying area because how disorientating and puzzling it was. I have horrible map awareness so thats just me. :(

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man the fire area mini bosses are freaking hard. A lot of the minibosses in this game are quite challenging.

Fighting them in a small area surrounded with fire then they do their spell which creates another ring of fire, literally you get can't dodge anywhere without burning yourself.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Got game last night after GMG took it down 41%. Played through the second boss and went to bed at 3 AM after 5 hours of straight play. Work today is dragging, but game is verified good. I agree that I wish swapping builds was something that every Souls-like allowed in some fashion. Between this and Final Fantasy XIV and MHW, give me one avatar to do all the content with one-time and let me swap things out to experiment as I please, with whatever functional limits you require (pauses in the action, going back to base, whatever) for game balance. My time is worth too much to make me invest another 40 hours just to see if I prefer DEX to STR.

I could do with a little less waifu and jiggly physics, but overall, even the story is reasonably engaging. Definitely glad I grabbed it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

cathedral of scared blood
Lol, if I was blood in vampire town I would be scared too, I guess.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any tips for Successor of the Throat boss fight? I get to the 2nd part but what the gently caress is up with the particles when she creates those sandstorms? Like I can't tell what the pattern or what she is doing. I just started her so I might get through by the time someone answers.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Ulio posted:

Any tips for Successor of the Throat boss fight? I get to the 2nd part but what the gently caress is up with the particles when she creates those sandstorms? Like I can't tell what the pattern or what she is doing. I just started her so I might get through by the time someone answers.

I'm sure you've beaten it by now but her basic spells are:

1. Raises both hands to one side of her head, then does a downward sweep. This causes stationary tornadoes to appear around the arena which you need to not be standing in. Phase 2 always starts with this.
2. Clasps hands together at the waist and then spreads them apart. Explosion that sends multiple projectiles outwards. Can be iframed by backing up slightly as she's casting then rolling forward into it.
3. Quick upwards hand flick. A single fast tracking projectile. She only uses this if you are at range.
4. Opens arms and does a high clap. Extremely annoying move that summons spinning projectiles on the outer ring then sweeps them over the entire arena. This also seems to only happen if you are at range. Can be iframed when they sweep in but it's easy to get caught by some other move while you're recovering.

Generally a lot easier to dodge her moves if you are in melee as you're only likely to see spell 2.

If she does the double spinning attack, run forward into her instead of dodging and it will pass over your head.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Promethium posted:

I'm sure you've beaten it by now but her basic spells are:

1. Raises both hands to one side of her head, then does a downward sweep. This causes stationary tornadoes to appear around the arena which you need to not be standing in. Phase 2 always starts with this.
2. Clasps hands together at the waist and then spreads them apart. Explosion that sends multiple projectiles outwards. Can be iframed by backing up slightly as she's casting then rolling forward into it.
3. Quick upwards hand flick. A single fast tracking projectile. She only uses this if you are at range.
4. Opens arms and does a high clap. Extremely annoying move that summons spinning projectiles on the outer ring then sweeps them over the entire arena. This also seems to only happen if you are at range. Can be iframed when they sweep in but it's easy to get caught by some other move while you're recovering.

Generally a lot easier to dodge her moves if you are in melee as you're only likely to see spell 2.

If she does the double spinning attack, run forward into her instead of dodging and it will pass over your head.

Ya thanks I just saw this right after I beat her but I was hardstuck on her because the sand tornado visuals were so hard to track. The thing you said about sticking to her worked pretty well thats how I killed her without using any potions. I basically wasn't walking into her enough whenever she spun and the 2nd phase I would wait last minute to dash in to try iframe blindly. I managed to just rip through in the 2nd phase so I didn't have to deal with much of the sand bullshit.

Can't believe I was stuck so long on such a easy boss. I just felt like it was very unclear where the sandstorms would appear, if they even made it a few of her spells a bit more clear it would have been a lot easier.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cleansing light + sacrifical edge on a dex build is crazy broken, my dps has gone up about 40-50% at least and I also upgraded my weapon to +10 devour weapon(lets u spam active abilities). I looked up some builds online to get ideas but I generally feel like you don't builds if you use partners but solo it is loving useful to check some builds.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

How am I only halfway through anime londo ughhhhhh.

Game is good and fun though, it feels less intense than a Souls game but I like the cartoony aesthetic and the little story bits you get from finding the blood codes.

Is there a reason NOT to just continue upgrading my lost bayonet all the way to the end because I've found a few others but I don't really like any of them as much? Also I guess I'm not supposed to be using this heavy coat as a ranger but it looks rad and that's really the point here. :colbert:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you like shooting things with your bayonet, the Queenslayer Bayonet that you should get pretty soon is second only to a bayonet you can't get until later in the game (Eva's signature weapon). Shot damage only scales off Willpower and Mind, so counterintuitively the caster-type blood codes are generally better at shooting things than ranger-type blood codes.

That said, you can't really go wrong just using what you like. There's a long bit of the game where it's difficult to obtain Queen Steel, but you should still be able to upgrade at least two weapons as far as they can go and it'll unlock for purchase later.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

mistaya posted:

Is there a reason NOT to just continue upgrading my lost bayonet all the way to the end because I've found a few others but I don't really like any of them as much? Also I guess I'm not supposed to be using this heavy coat as a ranger but it looks rad and that's really the point here. :colbert:
One issue with the Lost Bayonet is the poor scaling. This will matter more and more as you gain levels since levels affect scaling. For example, I'm using the Obliterator Axe and the damage is about 30% base damage and 70% scaling. Granted, your scaling is based on base damage and the Lost Bayonet has the second highest base damage, so the scaling is not that bad despite the letters being low.

Also, keep in mind that the Lost Bayonet has poor range, but fires in a spread pattern. You can use two weapons, so feel free to combine it with a Bayonet Rifle with longer range.

There are two characters who uses Bayonet Rifles, check out both of their weapons as well as Queenslayer Bayonet.

Do note that it's easy to compare damage, unless you have elemental damage on the weapon, each upgrade increases the damage with 10%. So if you have say your Lost Bayonet upgraded to +6, just shoot the punching bag with whatever other weapon you want to test and multiply the damage with 1.6 to figure out what damage it would have done upgraded to the same level. That is assuming it's unupgraded. If you like the Lost Bayonet's heavy attack, do that comparison with the Bayonet occasionally.

As for armor, there is no rule saying you need to have quick mobility with quick weapons. It's just that you can have quick mobility with them. With a Zweihander, you can forget it unless you use a temporary mobility improving effect, so you may as well just get as much armor as you can. With light weapons, you can get quick mobility. Also, the game will later give you an additional advantage with Quick mobility, but that's then.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I unlocked the 'enemies drop more loot' gift early and have been running that in a passive slot so I've actually got way more Queen Steel than I can spend thanks to getting very lost in the spiral towers section and having to kill everything multiple times... :ohdear:

Finally finished cathedral zone / memory zone but i think i missed the gun there so I should probably backtrack for it. In the snow zone now and wow you guys weren't kidding about those Yeti dudes being crazy powerful.

The rifle shots scaling with willpower is something I would never have guessed in a million years, that is some un-intuitive poo poo. :psyduck:

Also I found a light coat in cathedral with the Ivy type and I feel like vampire naruto jesus. Life is good. And fashionable.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Just finished this and got the good ending. It's the first Souls-like game I've been able to finish since Demons' Souls. I had a ton of fun, looking forward to the DLC.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just got Blade Bearer and Canoneer, holy gently caress this fight is intense and so enjoyable. Only did two tries so far but they seem a lot faster paced than Ornstein/Smough.

mistaya posted:

How am I only halfway through anime londo ughhhhhh.

Game is good and fun though, it feels less intense than a Souls game but I like the cartoony aesthetic and the little story bits you get from finding the blood codes.

Not sure if you are playing solo but I am still on my first playthrough and imo partner made the first half of this game a cake walk, as soon as I played solo I started enjoying it way more and had to actually dive deeper into my build. It definitely isn't as intense as Dark Souls or Bloodborne, lots of people forget how much creepy/horror is in those game and the incredible environment design. There are definitely some areas where you go a long way until you get the next mistle and the regen is so weak in this game so you run out of pots quickly.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man I am hardstuck on Blade Bearer and Canoneer last 2 days. I am doing it solo.

Normally I go cleansing light + sacrificial edge but I avoided doing that in this boss fight since losing hp gradually in a long fight vs 2 character is a bad idea. I got it down to fighting behind the pillars to avoid the fireball by Canoneer and try duel Blade bearer. I have gotten blade to 15% hp multiple times but still haven't killed her once. I can dodge everything Canoneer throws except when he comes close and flamethrows. I just keep moving from one pillar to the other to keep isolating blade bearer but my build is so squishy and I ran out of element protection.

I tried rushing Canooner first but that seemed even worse. Maybe I should just try to damage both of them slowly, whoever is basically idle but that seems like really slow? I haven't tried that since I thought focusing one would be better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Or just use a companion.

If you fire, cold and all resistance buffs they basically can't hurt you at all.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
You have the right general strategy with Blade Bearer first and using the pillars. Stack fire resistance and rush her down but don't be too greedy and don't keep fighting if your protection buffs are on cooldown. Poison builds are good for this fight to keep draining her health even while you're running around (5 poison cycles are enough to fully drain her). While not absolutely necessary I feel it also helps to get used to parry timings to keep your ichor up; she has a very predictable 3-hit combo where you can dodge-parry or dodge-dodge-(slight delay)-parry.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or just use a companion.

If you fire, cold and all resistance buffs they basically can't hurt you at all.
To expand on this a bit, if you get a Winter Mantle, upgrade it to a decent level and then transform it into fire and casts elemental wall, you will have over 100 fire and ice resistance.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ulio posted:

Can't believe I was stuck so long on such a easy boss. I just felt like it was very unclear where the sandstorms would appear, if they even made it a few of her spells a bit more clear it would have been a lot easier.
the same thing happened to me, you can fight a palette swapped version of this boss in the depths and it's pretty funny the difference it makes

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

^interesting to hear I wasn't the only one because I didn't see anything about it in youtube comments.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or just use a companion.

Eh companions. I prefer to be an edgey vampire by myself.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress finally got blade and canoneer solo. The only time I managed to kill blade I finished the boss lol. It was so close I had to use a pure blood and ended the fight with like legit 10 hp + no healing.

What a fight, I feel like I was playing way too aggressive but I managed to get some circulating pulses on Blade Bearer whenever she cast her spells which left her standing still. Basically isolating bladebearer behind the pillars and hope the flame fatty doesn't circle around with his flamethrower too quickly. At first I would just run to put distance between canoneer and blade but honestly his ranged spells are 100x worse + do more damage. So him using his flamethrower while u 1v1 bladebearer between pillar was the best strategy. And I wasn't using my active skills enough.

Anyway I am happy I didn't give up and use companions but I did end up wasting 3 days trying to beat it lol. I played Sekiro and Bloodborne this year, this was definitely among some of the hardest bosses. I think the only way they could have made it harder is if they straight up ripped of Ornstein/Smough where they inherit each other's skills once the other one dies.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So was the challenge-to-self there to do it both without a companion and without buffing elemental defense? Because the latter still makes it a much more reasonable fight even if you're running solo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I was using a companion till the Ribcage boss fight after that I haven't used a companion at all. That boss looked so cool and it ended so quickly because of companion. Also I did use protections in the Canooner/blade fight but I ran out of defensive items in like my 30th death and didn't have any defensive gifts.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I started a no companion playtrough and I found the butterfly boss very difficult. I ended up going to the dark watery dungeon first and return later with a +4 Impaler (which seems like one of the best polearms BTW). it fell after a few tries then. My suspicion is that late game bosses will be easier than early game bosses. The reason I think so is because companions are much stronger than you early on while later in game, you will be stronger than them. We'll see.

Anyway, anyone interested in more information about transforming equipment?

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Quick Question: Does Code Vein region lock matchmaking for Multiplayer in any way ?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Crystalgate posted:

I started a no companion playtrough and I found the butterfly boss very difficult. I ended up going to the dark watery dungeon first and return later with a +4 Impaler (which seems like one of the best polearms BTW). it fell after a few tries then. My suspicion is that late game bosses will be easier than early game bosses. The reason I think so is because companions are much stronger than you early on while later in game, you will be stronger than them. We'll see.

Anyway, anyone interested in more information about transforming equipment?

What's a good transform for blood veil if I have a dex build? I took the one that extends gifts in blood veil and drain for weapon..

Anyway after struggling vs Canooner/Blade solo it made me so much better. I beat Juzo Mido after a few tries. I was kinda hyped for him after all the build but putting him right after the duo boss was kinda of a bad decision imo. Right now I just beat Queen's Knight Reborn, this is the first boss I managed to get from 1 phase to the other in 1 spell. Whenever he dropped down as soon as the armor wore from the animation I basically did enough damage to get him to his next phase(heimdall + cleansing ligth + sacrificial edge is so broken). This basically allowed me to skip the last phase of the battle where he teleports nonstop. I had to only defend vs him for 1 loop of that. This was a lot harder than Mido and the last phase was pretty fun to play vs meanwhile Juzo the only major change would the spell where he has bombs exploding on you.

Should be done with this next week. Pretty enjoyable game so far and hope they release a real expansion for it ala Souls.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ulio posted:

I was using a companion till the Ribcage boss fight after that I haven't used a companion at all. That boss looked so cool and it ended so quickly because of companion. Also I did use protections in the Canooner/blade fight but I ran out of defensive items in like my 30th death and didn't have any defensive gifts.

Er, why not? Another arbitrary challenge?

Ice Armor comes from Artemis, Flame Protection from Dark Knight, and Elemental Wall from Eos (plus the vestige available after boss of fire city, which you'll probably pick up on the way back to the mistle after beating said boss). With the exception of a detour for that vestige's memory sequence, all of those are freebies that you're guaranteed to have by that point (well, unless you really hate talking to your companions at home base I guess).

Even if you hate actually playing as those blood codes when going through a level to learn their gifts, that's what the big pile of otherwise-useless Awake items are for.

Granted, it's moot at this point (unless you want to clear out that one depths zone), but I'm curious to the rationale. It seems like taking a bit of a detour to be better prepared would have been less frustrating than dying 30 times.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I could do 2 gifts at the start of the fight, since I am using sacrificial edge it means I need to heal so normally the split second you get for consuming item is used for that and not consuming ichor to put on more gifts. I have high drain but I would normally use that to use another gift to extend my previous gifts than the rest of the ichor I drained of the boss was to spam actives abilities like circulating pulse. I could have just used the ichor before the boss fight to start of with more buffs but I think I ran out of ichor doing this with another boss fight.

Also I have very aggressive passives + the lighest armor for quick mobility so I thought the defensive buff wouldn't help. I did notice I wouldn't completely get one shot but all of the fire spells interrupt you so if blade was near it meant you were about to get hit by an ice spell. So I didn't really see the advantage of using defense in this fight. I think in other fights where there is only 1 type of damage it is definitely more valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Ulio posted:

What's a good transform for blood veil if I have a dex build? I took the one that extends gifts in blood veil and drain for weapon..
There is no specific good transformation for a dex build, but it's probably not Gifts. Gifts increases your base attack to 150%, but completely kills the scaling. This may be a good deal early game, but pretty quickly results in a loss of power, even with weapons and veils with poor scaling. Other than that, it also increases the effect of some gifts affecting the equipment itself by 50%. Note, it does not make gifts stronger per say, it just makes them have a greater effect on the piece of equipment with Gifts itself.

Let's take an example, say you have two one handed swords equipped, one with Gifts and one without. If you cast Final Journey, it will normally increase the attack of your weapons by 50%. However, the weapon with Gifts will have its attack increased by 75% (150% of 50%) instead. Likewise, bridge to glory normally increases your attack by 50% of your light gift stat, but the weapon with Gifts will get 75% of your light gift stat instead. Note that in both cases, only the weapon with Gifts receive the increased benefit, the other gains the normal benefit. This even works with passive gifts, one handed sword mastery will increase the attack of the weapons without Gifts by 20% and the weapon with Gifts by 30%. Not all gifts are affected though, Swift Destruction for example will still increase the damage of a weapon with Gifts by 10%/20% respectively, it does not get bumped up to 15%/30%. Finally, Circulating Pulse itself would not be affected if used with the weapon with Gifts since Circulating Pulse doesn't affect the weapon itself.

Gifts on your blood veil will in practice only make the drain attack and your gifts stats weaker due to you killing the scaling.

As for a good blood veil transformation, Normal or Drain could work. Fortify is good if it doesn't change your mobility, but I bet it would and Alleviation is only useful for improving mobility which you can't if you already have quick. If your blood veil has both a strength and dexterity scaling, Intesify will probably make the drain attack stronger than Normal, but your gift stats will suffer for now. The higher your level, the better Intensify is. Try out Drain and revert to normal if you don't like it.