Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

By popular demand posted:

that plank of wood is driving a motorcycle?! I didn't know it had it in it.

That should teach you about not judging inanimate objects before you've gotten to know them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Renegret posted:

Ironically (or not I guess), leaving out the one time he for real accidentally almost killed himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT3vGaOLWqE&t=473s

He's been pretty transparent that this one incident was a legitimate accident and could've been significantly worse.

DID HE GRAB THE TWO ENDS OF A GODDAMNED UNBALLASTED MICROWAVE OVEN TRANSFORMER AND TAKE THAT ACROSS THE CHEST HOLY gently caress HOW IS HE ALIVE

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the origin story of the superhero YoutubeMan

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

insta posted:

DID HE GRAB THE TWO ENDS OF A GODDAMNED UNBALLASTED MICROWAVE OVEN TRANSFORMER AND TAKE THAT ACROSS THE CHEST HOLY gently caress HOW IS HE ALIVE

Yeah I’m no electrical engineer but didn’t he just unintentionally run that current directly through his heart?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I think this is against official caber toss rules!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

loooong loooong plaaaaaaaaank

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Brute Squad posted:

loooong loooong plaaaaaaaaank

:newlol:

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ruggan posted:

Yeah I’m no electrical engineer but didn’t he just unintentionally run that current directly through his heart?

It's particularly bad because of the "perfect storm" that is a microwave transformer.

You hear "its the volts that jolts, the mills that kills". 100 milliamps across the heart is enough to kill you. But, you can touch car batteries (600,000 milliamps) without issue because the voltage is low enough that your skin's resistance won't allow enough current to flow. You can survive thousands of volts from static shock, TASERs (generally...), electric flyswatters, etc because they can't source the 100 milliamps necessary, although they have a sufficiently high voltage to do it.

A microwave transformer runs at about 2,500 volts. They can source up to 1000 milliamps. They have no safeties on them whatsoever. I am legitimately amazed he did not die.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I never have anything good to share in this thread because I'm in a job adjacent to computer touching but always love OSHA related stuff.

The ElectraBoom Guy is fascinating and hilarious in equal measure.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nude posted:

From the last page of the other thread:
I remember this puzzle from Super Mario Odyssey.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Some gigantic forging action for your viewing pleasure, with shades of... Alien 3? Quake? The size of the place and the relatively few people there give me that vibe for some reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEoZqj53QyM

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

insta posted:

The wires got pulled out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

UCS Hellmaker posted:

He literally is making a graphite edm machine and could actually severely hurt himself if he was running more then 10 amps through those big chunks of graphite. It's not something he should be loving with and it's a known science with tons of danger.

He's an electrical engineer, and almost his entire schtick is about causing accidents to demonstrate electrical safety.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE

I knew Harbor Freight had some janky products, but dayumm.......

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Jobsite heaters drive me nuts. Where we work it doesn’t really get ‘that’ cold, but other trades drag these gently caress off large salamander heaters all over job sites. They are loving loud, dangerous as all hell, and only make you feel colder if you step out of its direct los.

Just wear some loving layers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

At least put a brick on it so it doesn't roll off, goddamn.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

That's a weed burner, not a heater.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

That's a weed burner, not a heater.

Seems a bit extreme bro, I just use a Bic.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The man with the iron perineum.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Harton posted:

Seems a bit extreme bro, I just use a Bic.

Fair enough but sometimes you got a lot of weed.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I got a torpedo heater for free, put some fuel lines on it. Put some k1 in it and found out both the filler cap and level float leak like poo poo, thank goodness for Subaru rear luggage mats. Ran it in my garage for 15 minutes, per the instructions and good ventilation. Stank up the whole house. Heats up a room pretty fast if you can stand the fumes but it's pretty useless. I'm a mechanic by trade and very picky about assholes letting cars run in the shop, and will not hesitate to call you out.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05vUCdzhoe4

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4FH5ijZ3iM

Kazak fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 26, 2019

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

i ran into Electroboom at the Vancouver airport outlet mall, he's dreamy

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

shame on an IGA posted:

A 30 minute EHS training video about the right way to jump on and off of moving trains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx57jVGfso

God drat, I only made it 8 minutes through, and the thing that impresses me most is how un-OSHA all of the stunt work is. Like, jumping off a rail car into a sign post/tiny stunt mat/platform wall/etc (Edit: forgot the attaching air lines between cars when they suddenly begin moving). Obviously this guy knows how to do things properly but a lot of the stunts seems like they're fractions of a second away from actually being real injuries :stonk:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

pseudorandom posted:

God drat, I only made it 8 minutes through, and the thing that impresses me most is how un-OSHA all of the stunt work is. Like, jumping off a rail car into a sign post/tiny stunt mat/platform wall/etc (Edit: forgot the attaching air lines between cars when they suddenly begin moving). Obviously this guy knows how to do things properly but a lot of the stunts seems like they're fractions of a second away from actually being real injuries :stonk:

safety wasn't much of a priority in the film industry for a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbNnYpxbGTk

In this clip Buster Keaton broke his neck while swinging down and opening the spout of a large water tank over his head. They hadn't tested the stunt before and the force of the water was much stronger than expected, smashing Keaton into the ground. Keaton was kind of like Jackie Chan in that he insisted on doing all of his own stunts, and also like Jackie Chan, would severely injure himself repeatedly in the process.

Bonus unrelated clip
https://i.imgur.com/sBi9a2E.mp4

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

insta posted:

It's particularly bad because of the "perfect storm" that is a microwave transformer.

You hear "its the volts that jolts, the mills that kills". 100 milliamps across the heart is enough to kill you. But, you can touch car batteries (600,000 milliamps) without issue because the voltage is low enough that your skin's resistance won't allow enough current to flow. You can survive thousands of volts from static shock, TASERs (generally...), electric flyswatters, etc because they can't source the 100 milliamps necessary, although they have a sufficiently high voltage to do it.

A microwave transformer runs at about 2,500 volts. They can source up to 1000 milliamps. They have no safeties on them whatsoever. I am legitimately amazed he did not die.

Film industry regularly has folks running 220V 100A cables through water, bad weather etc don't be a pussy.

How else do you power a 18,000W HMI lamp up on a cherry picker during a rain scene

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

So, Grover's building a new extension, I take it?

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So, Grover's building a new extension, I take it?

Drywall doesn't appear to be load-bearing...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

god dang this is a great gif

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda want one of those forestry mulchers in case of a zombie apocalypse.

Or just a run of the mill murder spree.

I'll take what I can get, I guess.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

vroom vroom

schmug
May 20, 2007

So a guy that calls himself Stumpy Nubs tries to live up to his name. Link is set to the oh gently caress moment.

possibly :nms:

see link below because I'm an idiot, apparently

fake edit: I tried to spoiler it but the tags don't like embedded video links. I can make that happen if someone knows how...

edit 2: use link in post below. thumbnail is pretty graphic

schmug fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 26, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

schmug posted:

So a guy that calls himself Stumpy Nubs tries to live up to his name. Link is set to the oh gently caress moment.

possibly :nms:

fake edit: I tried to spoiler it but the tags don't like embedded video links. I can make that happen if someone knows how...

I'm using an extension that replaces links with clickable pop-up previews, but I think if you paste the link inside [url] tags it should work:
https://youtu.be/A7xWHEWov8M?t=169

schmug
May 20, 2007

GotLag posted:

I'm using an extension that replaces links with clickable pop-up previews, but I think if you paste the link inside [url] tags it should work:
https://youtu.be/A7xWHEWov8M?t=169

Thanks, I couldn't get it to work with chrome so I edited my post for the squeamish...

Oh, skip to 2:45 for the money shot. it's actually not bad, but the aftermath is...

schmug fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 26, 2019

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy drat, what a shitshow.

Those chainsaw disc things are like the worst idea.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Squalid posted:

safety wasn't much of a priority in the film industry for a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbNnYpxbGTk

In this clip Buster Keaton broke his neck while swinging down and opening the spout of a large water tank over his head. They hadn't tested the stunt before and the force of the water was much stronger than expected, smashing Keaton into the ground. Keaton was kind of like Jackie Chan in that he insisted on doing all of his own stunts, and also like Jackie Chan, would severely injure himself repeatedly in the process.

You forgot the best part of this story, where Buster Keaton doesn't even notice he broke his neck until he's getting an x-ray like, a decade later, and the doc is like "huh, when did you break your neck Buster?", and Buster is all "I did what now?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

pseudorandom posted:

God drat, I only made it 8 minutes through, and the thing that impresses me most is how un-OSHA all of the stunt work is. ...
Watched the whole thing, and they replay the stunts over the end credits.

Figured the dude was a stuntman with a background in railroad work, but looks like he was just a goddamn badass.